Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

the anti-spider thread

shadowwarp940

I hate spiders with a passion! I mean I get that they are important to the ecosystem and all that but why are they so CREEPY?! I MEAN LOOK AT THIS!

Image result for spider

but I want to know what you think now! I'll leave now cause my arachnophobia is starting up again just from this picture!

• Brohoof 1

Well I wouldn't necessarily hurt a spider out in the open unless if its in my house. But, I understand that arachnophobia can be a nightmare to live with. You're not the only one @shadowwarp940. I'm also acrophobic. I'm fine looking at a tall building, but I absolutely despise standing on the top of the building while looking down at my impending doom.

Anyway, I tried holding a Goliath Bird Eating spider in my Zoology course a few years ago. Her name I believe was Rosie.

Image result

I tried to hold her at the palm of my hand, but my arachnophobia got to me. At least I tried, at least I tried. >_>

• Brohoof 1

Also I believe they look creepy just to scare potential predators. Plus some of them have venom that could potentially kill you like the infamous Black Widow Spider.

Image result for black widow spider

1 minute ago, Chrylestia600 said:

I used to be scared of spiders. Now I pick them up all the time and think they're cool. :D Even cute sometimes.

You must be very calm and diligent to gently pick them up with zero fear on your end. Spiders can sense your fear for them. And that fear of yours is enough for them to be even more afraid of you. Because deep down, spiders want to do their own thing and be left alone.

The true way of picking any spider is to be absolutely fearless and not giving a damn what your mind thinks about them.

• Brohoof 1

I don't understand how you're ever supposed to be fearless enough to pick up a spider. Foolish, yes. Fearless, no. I have trouble talking to people without being afraid, much less picking up a spider...

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
11 minutes ago, shadowwarp940 said:

wait WHAT?! TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!

Not much to it, honestly. XD It was about a week ago that I got rid of my fear. Basically what happened was there was a pretty big wolf spider in my house in front of my front door, and I had previously been picking up small, tiny spiders (like, slightly above ant size) so my brother joked that I should pick up that big one, knowing that I was afraid of it and had no intention of doing that.

Suddenly, something hit me- what was I so scared of? It wasn't a poisonous spider, so there wasn't any danger. It was simply that it looked creepy, and that was all. So, I told myself that I was no longer going to let an irrational fear control me, and in that moment, my fear completely disappeared and I leaned down and quickly (in order to avoid leaving any time for second thoughts) but gently picked up that spider. I held it for a few minutes and even let it crawl up my arm. Once I wasn't afraid anymore, I realized the spider was kinda cute. :P After a few more moments, I let it outside, and from that day forth I am no longer scared of picking up non-poisonous arachnids.

10 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

You must be very calm and diligent to gently pick them up with zero fear on your end. Spiders can sense your fear for them. And that fear of yours is enough for them to be even more afraid of you. Because deep down, spiders want to do their own thing and be left alone.

The true way of picking any spider is to be absolutely fearless and not giving a damn what your mind thinks about them.

Yep! And that's exactly how I went about it and have continued to do so. :D Usually when I pick up spiders is when I find them in my house and put them outside.

Edited by Chrylestia600
  • Brohoof 2

Ok. NO!!!

There's a spider that lives in my bathroom, and occasionally just to torture me it will crawl onto the door handle and trap me in until it decides to move.

A couple years ago we actually found a hobo spider in our living room. It took us hours to get it out of the house.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, shadowwarp940 said:

@ZethaPonderer I know about the black widow from personal experience cause I GOT BIT BY ONE! I think that's why I have my phobia.a bit off topic but you said you study zoology?I'm actually planning to take one!Can you tell me about the classes?! 

Well for starters, I studied the course and you'll initially learn about the little tiny organisms and sea creatures e.g. worms, microscopic specimens necessary for creatures to survive, Crustaceans, Cephalopods, Bivalves. Then you'll later learn about the typical creatures in the animal kingdom such as Insects, Arachnids, Amphibians, Fish, Reptiles, Birds, and Mammals. You'll probably do a dissection with a Roundworm, Frog, Squid, Pig etc. depending on what your Professors interests are (sea creatures or land creatures or reptiles). Also, you might do a Shark Dissection test depending on the college you're in which I did and it was truly a weird experience for me :lol:.

Plus, in my Zoology course I got to see many species of animals and holded them. I holded a non-venemous snake, a turtle, a tarantula (almost XD), and got to see my Professor's Emerald Boa eating a Rat that was alive. It all depends on what your professor and his/her interests in the profession are. I can't give you a straight up answer, but hope this helps you prepare for what you should be able to expect when taking this course. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Spoders gonna spode. 

Just now, Holiday Agnaktor said:

My friend knows that I absolutely hate spiders, so he sometimes sends me posts from a subreddit called r/spiderbro. The stuff on there is absolutely terrifying man.

Hide contents

"I love it when spiderbro holds my hand."

aoppCr7.jpg

These people are demons, I tell you!

No Nerscylla for you!

Just now, Sunset Rose said:

No Nerscylla for you!

Actually, in videogames they're alright.

For people wondering, Nerscylla is a monster from Monster Hunter. It's a big ol' spooder. Like far bigger than you. By a long shot. Also they wear the skin of their enemies

Here's a picture:

Image result for shrouded nerscylla

I don't like most spiders, though I don't like killing them either unless they are in my bedroom. I hate the thought of them sneaking around while I sleep. :eww: I have held a tarantula before. That was actually pretty neat. Might as well have been an eight-legged hamster. But smaller, non-domestic spiders do irritate me when I encounter them.

Unless they are those little daddy long legs spiders. Those are harmless and usually don't mind being held.

I don't hate them but I don't like them either. I don't mind them being around if they stay a decent distance away from me and I can just about get rid of them if I really need to with a cup and a piece of paper. I have this thing where I refuse to kill a spider and will try my best to stop someone who is about to.

I hate spiders alot. I won't usually go out of my way to kill one if i see it outside just minding its own business but if its in my room or anywhere in my house and i see it he is going to die.   

• Brohoof 1

I am not a fan of spiders by any means. It's not that I find them gross like some individuals do; it's that I find them plain frightening. I am aware that not all spiders are dangerous to humans but the fact that some can bite is enough for me to steer away. Not to mention, the feeling of a apider crawling on you just... *shivers*

Snakes? No problem.

Heights? No problem.

Spiders? NO.

IMG_4357.JPG.e167c52aff9d226357fb89cc81a3b003.JPG

• Brohoof 1

Spider freak me out to no end, but that also leads to fascination. They seem like very simple creatures, but they are just fascinating to watch sometimes, especially jumping spiders which are known to have higher intelligence than most spiders. So I tend to watch videos of them. The random, occassional house spider doesn't bother me much, even in my room because they usually just find a corner and stay there, can't ask for much more. Any spider that gets near me though, or on me, my survival instinct kicks in and I take them out. I don't like doing that but it is just how I do things. 

So I am both fascinated and spooked by these little creatures of usually not death. I remember I was bit by a small spider when I young and I was terrified of dying from it, though it was just a little house spider. XD

Spiders are the absolute worst. And of course in my apartment, my bedroom is the one that has them all. I just had two come down on a single web in front of me while I was trying to eat yesterday (or the day before?). Then of course there were the couple big ones (not big by Australia standards but by fear of spider standards) that were next to my bed a while ago while I couldn't do anything to get rid of them... that one hanging on my Xbox One plug right now... there's one under my bed I think...

yeah.

Can't wait to get out of here.