Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spoiler Thoughts on Tempest's motivation

Unlikeable Pony

So in the Storm road to canterlot book that came out, Tempest shadow's crazy jealous of twilight at the end because her childhood dream was to become an alicorn after attending celestia's university (apparently)

what's everyone's thoughts on that? I mean, This seems kind of like a strange ambition/assumption considering its not like the university has churned out any other princesses (that we know of) and having a dream of "become an alicorn" just seems kind of stretching thing for alicorn lore.

I'm getting a sense of Deja Vu with Tempest *coughsunsetcough*

Anyway I don't care much for alicorn lore at this point. It makes little sense at is. Only thing I give a shit about is that it pretty much sets her up for redemption at the end.....like it's kind of bad if I can see it coming from a mile away.

Still haven't read the book yet so I don't have much more to contribute, nor do I still know about Tempest

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

So in the Storm road to canterlot book that came out, Tempest shadow's crazy jealous of twilight at the end because her childhood dream was to become an alicorn after attending celestia's university (apparently)

what's everyone's thoughts on that? I mean, This seems kind of like a strange ambition/assumption considering its not like the university has churned out any other princesses (that we know of) and having a dream of "become an alicorn" just seems kind of stretching thing for alicorn lore.

Why all the important unicorns Twilight has always to do are (almost) always former Celestia's students? Sunset, Trixie, Moondancer and now even Tempest (not mentioning the three BG unicorns from the pilot which have a big role in Amending Fences). So far Starlight Glimmer is the only unicorn Twilight became close friend to who didn't attend Celestia's school...

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Why all the important unicorns Twilight has always to do are (almost) always former Celestia's students? Sunset, Trixie, Moondancer and now even Tempest (not mentioning the three BG unicorns from the pilot which have a big role in Amending Fences). So far Starlight Glimmer is the only unicorn Twilight became close friend to who didn't attend Celestia's school...

Only Sunset was her personal student, though. Also- its a school. Its not going to have a roster of 1

6 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I love that the jealousy is aimed at Twilight and none of the other alicorns. Omg. 

also, the "motivation" is so stupid, when you factor in just how weak the alicorns are

Well what do you know! Better Starlight also has a better backstory. It's still shit but it's the best shit we got for a pony of her ilk. The thing about her backstory is that once she starts serving Storm King they stop trying to portray her as a woobie. It goes from yet another standard FIM redemption bait to an ordinary villain origin story where you are free to view and enjoy her as an evil henchpony. Too bad she's still gonna get redeemed. Have they learned nothing?

14 hours ago, Sly said:

Something bad is going on in celestials school......

20 hours ago, Sly said:

Technically she's NOT a former Student of Celestia's she only DREAMT of going to Celestia's school. She had her horn busted before that happened.This is kind of why she was so turned off to the idea of friendship; Her two friends went and joined celestia's School without her, and So made tempest feel like they had betrayed and abandoned her by moving on in their lives without her.

6 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Well what do you know! Better Starlight also has a better backstory. It's still shit but it's the best shit we got for a pony of her ilk. The thing about her backstory is that once she starts serving Storm King they stop trying to portray her as a woobie. It goes from yet another standard FIM redemption bait to an ordinary villain origin story where you are free to view and enjoy her as an evil henchpony. Too bad she's still gonna get redeemed. Have they learned nothing?

She had a mixture of hate and refusal to accept responsibility in her thoughts here: She, Willingly and without being coerced, went into the cave to get the Ball that the group had lost, and got smacked into a Wall by an ursa minor, leading to her lost horn. Her friends had nothing to do with it, but she STILL blamed them because they hadn't done it themselves-- Its kind of like if a person offered a ride to someone and then had a car wreck, they might end up blaming that other person for the event (Its YOUR fault this happened, because if I wasn't doing this for you it wouldn't have happened), in order to accept the blame themselves.
So tempest felt hurt that her friends didn't basically hold themselves back in life to always be with her after her accient, and subconsciously also blamed them for the event, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than Starlight's backstory.

On another note, I kind of half think that Tempest might end up Starscreaming Storm king at the end; Given her obsession with becoming an alicorn, we could have a Sunset satan/Midnight sparkle kind of situation if she gets the chance to steal the alicorn magic for herself near the end.

Its not that likely of course, but its still a possiblity.

10 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

She had a mixture of hate and refusal to accept responsibility in her thoughts here: She, Willingly and without being coerced, went into the cave to get the Ball that the group had lost, and got smacked into a Wall by an ursa minor, leading to her lost horn. Her friends had nothing to do with it, but she STILL blamed them because they hadn't done it themselves-- Its kind of like if a person offered a ride to someone and then had a car wreck, they might end up blaming that other person for the event (Its YOUR fault this happened, because if I wasn't doing this for you it wouldn't have happened), in order to accept the blame themselves.
So tempest felt hurt that her friends didn't basically hold themselves back in life to always be with her after her accient, and subconsciously also blamed them for the event, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than Starlight's backstory.

On another note, I kind of half think that Tempest might end up Starscreaming Storm king at the end; Given her obsession with becoming an alicorn, we could have a Sunset satan/Midnight sparkle kind of situation if she gets the chance to steal the alicorn magic for herself near the end.

Its not that likely of course, but its still a possiblity.

Yes, and the reason why she didn't want to see her friends after they moved to Canterlot also makes sense. They moved on and she was unable to follow, unlike the ambitionless and wholesome Starlight who could have easily gotten in touch with Sunburst at any point in time after he had gotten his cutie mark. She was just too dumb to find his address and write him a bucking letter.

They'd really have to work hard to bring Tempest down to Starlight's level of joy-killing, lessons-peddling, character-pushing buffoonery we've been having in FIM. Even if she defeats all three Princesses by herself it would still not be enough. Maybe if she became an alicorn but even then it would depend on her alignment. What would suck is if she wasn't actually defeated in combat but rather convinced by one of Twilight's infamous friendship speeches. Action first, friendship later. Slice-o-lifers and issue peddlers can go choke themselves on a dead squirrel.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Even if she defeats all three Princesses by herself it would still not be enough.

Okay, she better cheat like a motherbucker.

Otherwise, we'll just have people saying, "STARLIGHT-ON-STEROIDS! R.I.P., G4!"

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, A.V. said:

Not only dose Tempest like to cheat like a real bitch, her personality and design act as dampeners against viewer discontent. Families would just see a badass pony villain defeating our professional damsels in distress while we Bronies would be throwing fits. You see, it's all in the presentation and execution. Starlight doesn't fail because she's overpowered but because she's overpowered and boring lesson fodder that needs Mane 6 to have absolutely no interesting story progression just to remain somewhat relevant. Give Mane 6 good stories and she goes "POOF". Tempest, on the other appendage, is a strong, independent edgy unicorn who needs no petting from the writers. That doesn't mean they won't push her in the Movie, just that pushing is not required for her success.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, A.V. said:

I'm expecting her to go in cocky try to fight the princeses herself and maybe get a couple good hits in,  then get slapped around when the princesses stop fooling around, and then resort to sicking the army on the Princesses in a zerg rush to save herself

with Storm king actually being the one to do the heavy lifting.

It would synch up with how she royally Screwed the pooch in the book in her mission and got her Flank saved by the storm king's army acting WITHOUT her orders to invade and save her.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:42 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

also, the "motivation" is so stupid, when you factor in just how weak the alicorns are

It is clear that you are only saying that because of how they were taken by surprise. It's not a matter of strength or weakness. It's a matter of taken the enemy by surprise.

• 1 month later...

Jealously is one factors to her motive, but because of her horn was broken, she was not allowed into the school.  Thus, she lost her magic and her friends. The comic dig deeper to her thoughts, about how all she wanted is to get her magic back.  A reason why she left Equestria Iin a search for magic. So i think she is more jealous of her friends for being accepted into the school, along with other unicorns who can use magic.

Spoiler

digging deeper when she met Storm king, she asked him as favor and as a promise to conquer Equestria (in a revengeful sense)and grant her power back.  That was her motive, because the storm king offer a deal to work with him in exchange for magic.

If the movie going to have her turn into a Alicorn that will be dumbest thing ever.

Edited by TBD

Time to actually use my account here^^

Just read the book "The stormy road to Canterlot" and I'm not sure how I should feel about "Tempest Shadow" (I hope we will get her real name in the movie).

Spoiler

During the beginning of the book I actually liked her and felt bad for her. She lost her horn because of a stupid reason (running away from an Ursa Minor because she tried to get her ball back) and instead of going to a doctor, she just hid her horn. Who knows, maybe someone would have been able to fix her horn if she would have went to a doctor.

Her friends didn’t even help either. They wanted Tempest to use her magic again but were afraid of her when she wasn’t able to control it. It’s only natural that Tempest felt like her friends just didn’t care after everything that happened.

Even during her whole travel until she met Grubber aka “new Spike” and when she tried to steal the pearl, I still was on her side.

However, as soon as whole town was destroyed because of her, I wasn’t sure how to feel about her anymore. Yes, she felt guilty and didn’t want that to happen but then she was the one to convince the Storm King to attack Equestria.

In other words, she wants revenge for what? None of the princesses know about her and she never actually talked to someone else except her two friends about her horn. She either is the new Starlight Glimmer or, what might also be possible, she can’t really think straight because of the “Misfortune Malachite”

I really want to know what she is actually up to. The Storm King thinks she made the whole plan so that he can get the magic of the princesses while Tempest wants to keep it for herself. Just like she did with the “Misfortune Malachite” and just like she wanted to keep the pearl from the Hippogriffs for herself.