Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the movie win awards?

CastletonSnob

I don't know to be honest, it certainly looks up there on the award winning level, but we'll just have to wait and see what's it like first. But if anything is to go off on, is that it looks top notch and the voice actors are a good line-up, as for the story we'll have to wait for. I've personally enjoyed all of the MLP movies so far, I think they've all been fun and entertaining for myself so this movie and the production scale they've gone for can only mean great things I imagine, can't wait to see the singing parts. :)

• Brohoof 1

It's not going to be easy since it will be competing against other animated movies with some having much larger budgets than what Hasbro is providing for this movie. As such, I don't think it will win any awards but perhaps it will get some nominations.

• Brohoof 4

It won't win awards; mainly because it'll have to go up against Pixar, but I can see nominations if all goes well. If this is a success it's going to bring the series' popularity to the forefront and reignite conversations about feminism and 2D animation, so there would be political and artistic motivations for supporting it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know what award it will get:

The Award for the Lowest Grossing Film of the Year! I'm not kidding -- a majority of the target audience is not likely willing to see this film, due to the lack of advertisements (especially in my local theater).

Edited by FirePuppy

On 8/18/2017 at 3:59 AM, Duality said:

Nominations are a distinct possibility, though.

Agreed. Normally I would say there isn't a chance in hell, but glance at the 2017 releases prior to various awards cut-off dates. 

Coco will likely be a darling to the Academy Awards. Let's see what else we have ... a wasteland. 

A bunch of small indie films. Blue Sky has Ferdinand, but the studio is not the greatest juggernaut for big name awards. Despicable Me 3, Cars 3, Smurfs ... Emoji ... yeah there's almost nothing that would stop MLP from at least being nominated.

All of a sudden the MLP star studded cast that is highly respected and connected with Academy voters kinda looks like a huge benefit. I still say Coco is the front runner by default. 

Forgot about Lego Batman and Captain Underpants. Still Pony may sneak in to some noms. 

• Brohoof 5

It will win cutest Fluttershy hands down I imagine.. otherwise maybe just a nomination or two is possible. Will it win anything? Anything is possible, but considering it's pedigree.. unlikely. But it would be interesting if it did win several.

• Brohoof 3

large.png

A chance at winning any awards?  Hmmm... possibly in a musical category for animation-specific awards.

Nominations, on the other hand, are far more interesting to consider.  As @Jeric pointed out, 2017 has been a dumpster ground as far as animated films go; I noticed this back at the beginning of the year when, out of curiosity, I checked what animated films were getting released alongside of the MLP Movie, pondering this very question.

If My Little Pony: The Movie is good enough, and has a solid critical response as well, there is a definite possibility it could get a nomination for Best Animated Feature.  It would also depend heavily on what kind of Oscar campaign Hasbro, Paramount, and Lionsgate launched for it, if any, as well as the clout with the Academy that several of its celebrity VAs do most definitely have, such as Kristin Chenoweth, Zoe Saldana, and Liev Schreiber.

The only animated movies this year that I am sure will get Best Animated Feature nominations will be Coco (most definitely the front runner for the award in general; the premise alone of Pixar focusing on Hispanic culture has critics already salivating to give it to them, I'm sure, especially as a statement award in the first year of Trump's presidency... and look, I don't say that to take anything away from what looks to be a very good movie, I'm just saying, the Academy does like to get political with its awards sometimes, that's a fact) and The LEGO Batman Movie (the top dark horse contender for the award).  Disney could probably buy Cars 3 a nomination as well if they wanted to, though I don't know if they'll get that greedy with Coco already almost guaranteed a nomination in such a piss poor year for animated films; WB could probably buy The LEGO Ninjago Movie a nomination if it's even half as funny as The LEGO Batman Movie, but as with Disney, I don't know if they'll get that greedy and risk splitting voters who could vote for The LEGO Batman Movie instead; Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie actually has a decent shot at a nomination since by all accounts it was actually good; and Smurfs: The Lost Village and Despicable Me 3, mediocre as they were, could probably score nominations IF Sony Animation and Illumination Animation, their respective studios, put together ambitious enough Oscar campaigns.  Outside of that, there may be some independent or foreign features I haven't heard anything about that could deserve nominations, but they would need the Academy to give a crap about the animation category in general to come under consideration, and frankly, I can't figure out from one year to the next how much the Academy does even care about the Best Animated Feature category (The LEGO Movie getting snubbed from even a nomination in 2014 comes to mind, even if that was a better year for animation than 2017 has been).

So that all said, if a lot of things go its way, My Little Pony: The Movie could definitely stand a decent (at least) shot of earning a nomination for Best Animated Feature from the Academy.  If the music is good enough, I'd dare even say they could be up for some Best Original Song and Best Original Score awards at a number of shows, though again, most of those, I believe, would be for award shows specifically devoted to animated features.  But hey, ya never know, if it's good enough, maybe shows like the Golden Globes or the Academy Awards will be feeling the Magic of Friendship this year!  Here's hoping they do, as any nomination would be a huge PR win for the movie and show, and possibly even bolster both viewership and video sales! :muffins:

large.jpeg

• Brohoof 5

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

Agreed. Normally I would say there isn't a chance in hell, but glance at the 2017 releases prior to various awards cut-off dates. 

Coco will likely be a darling to the Academy Awards. Let's see what else we have ... a wasteland. 

A bunch of small indie films. Blue Sky has Ferdinand, but the studio is not the greatest juggernaut for big name awards. Despicable Me 3, Cars 3, Smurfs ... Emoji ... yeah there's almost nothing that would stop MLP from at least being nominated.

All of a sudden the MLP star studded cast that is highly respected and connected with Academy voters kinda looks like a huge benefit. I still say Coco is the front runner by default. 

Forgot about Lego Batman and Captain Underpants. Still Pony may sneak in to some noms. 

Speaking of indie films, another film that would be an obstacle for MLP to get nominated let alone win best animated film, would have to be The Breadwinner seeing how it comes from Cartoon Saloon, the same company who produced The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea, both of which were nominated for best animated film, which makes it pretty likely to get nominated.

Also seeing how Despicable Me 2 was nominated for best animated film of 2013, I wouldn't be surprised if Despicable Me 3 also ended up getting nominated for best animated film.

Coco is a shoe in for getting nominated and winning the award, there would be The Breadwinner which I am pretty confident in getting a nomination, possibly Despicable Me 3 and I can see Lego Batman also maybe getting nominated, but not Captain Underpants.

Another movie I can see getting nominated would have to be Mary and the Witch's Flower which is an anime film produced by several former Studio Ghibli employees, assuming that the massively successful Your Name doesn't get the anime nomination instead.

So with all of these movies either basically given a nomination already or likely to receive one, I could actually see MLP managing to not get one or if it's really lucky, barely squeezing in one, even if I have to agree that this year has not been great for animated features.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

I hope so :adorkable: It’s gotta appeal to a wide variety of people in order to be successful…

(…and not just bronies and Pegasisters…)

The one thing that’s gonna hurt it is the animation. I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s…gonna take a while of getting to :please: 

This can either be a hit or a miss. Personally, I want this movie to be a success :adorkable: 

Edited by SolarFlare13

1 hour ago, cmarston1 said:

Another movie I can see getting nominated would have to be Mary and the Witch's Flower which is an anime film produced by several former Studio Ghibli employees

This was actually one that I paused on because of its pedigree. I also completely forgot about Breadwinner. Actually, because of the dearth of actually God Tier animated films from big studios this year -- you may be right that you will see more Indies on the nomination list.

• Brohoof 1

It would be cool if it did but I highly doubt it. Awards are basically politics. The movies that do win are either the most artsy, or have the biggest political statement. It's basically Hollywood people patting themselves on the back with not much audience input.

What I'm saying is if we go by past award show experiences,Coco will probably win the Oscar for best animated feature.

• Brohoof 2

If it's good enough, it just might. However, in the animation department, it's going to be competing against the likes of Pixar's Coco. And Pixar's movies are almost all universally acclaimed, so it'd be a tough feat to accomplish.

Of course, anything is possible.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/1/2017 at 5:01 PM, cmarston1 said:

It's a movie based on an animated series that is used as a 22 minute toy commercial.  I doubt it.

FIM IS NOT A FREAKING TOY COMMERCIAL, YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!  :angry:

That was the 80's and 90's MLP. Fim is Disney, a family show. It has character development, actual GOOD music, likable, realistic and unique characters who change over time and learn from past mistakes over time. FIM is totally different, and in no way a toy commercial! 

As for the question at hoof, I highly doubt it. If it does, it will be rewards from unimportant places no one cares about. Oh, and also there is this. Any Award would be rewarded to MLP By people just like those at the Oscars. 

Edited by Star Petal

I wouldn't hold out much hope of it getting award recognition, even if it turns out to be good enough.  The MLP movie is not in the same league as the Frozens, Kung-Fu Pandas and Shreks of the world.  This is not a mass market film, it's a film aimed not at the wider cinema-going audience, but specifically at existing fans of the franchise, the young girls (and boys) that like the cartoon and the toys, the parents that have to take them to see it, and of course us older fans as well.  Success for the MLP film will not be measured on the same scale as that of a major Disney or Dreamworks film, it's not going to break any box office records, it won't even come close.  If it makes even a quarter of what a contemporary offering from one of the big animation studios pulls in that would still be a massive success.

I'm not trying to do the film down, from the trailer I've seen it looks great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.  However, when it comes to receipts and awards I think a certain moderation of expectation is called for.  I would hope that it would at least attract a few nominations, but I doubt we'll see any any Oscars, Golden Globes or BAFTAs on display in the Canterlot Palace.

• Brohoof 3