Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What got Me into the Mlp Fandom

FemaleIntrovert1995

I was 15 years old when mlp first came out. I didn't start watching it until I was 16 going on 17. The first episode I watched was "Applebuck Season". I was aware of the hype for this show, but I brushed it off. I thought mlp was still going to be about making cakes, planning a party, and giggling at everything you see. Pretty much the "plot", in mlp G3 or G3.5. 

I was sitting on the couch, flipping through channels, on a cold Saturday morning. There was nothing else to watch, so I watched a mlp fim rerun out of curiosity. For some strange reason, I fell in love with the characters. I always thought mlp was girly and boring. But, I was wrong oh so wrong. Unlike mlp generation 3, mlp fim actually has a plot, interesting characters, action scenes, and songs that are nice to listen to. "Applebuck Season" is still on my top ten, favorite mlp fim episode list, to this day. 

What got you into the Mlp fandom? 

IMG_3090.GIF

• Brohoof 5

I'm going to be honest, ponies. I was originally an anti-brony (yikes!) during much of my life, I hated the series and the people that liked it. However, during 2013-2014, life hit me, and it it hit me hard. Anything that could go wrong did go wrong, and I entered this negative emotional state. I found an episode of mlp on YouTube, and I decided to give it a shot. The bright colors and the friendly landscape managed to bring me a positive impact. And after 2 years, I am willing to say I have cut ties to my old anti-brony roots and have officially become part of the fandom. It helps me stay positive throughout my life, even in dark moments, which got me to where I am today. 

Edited by Libra
  • Brohoof 9

I first heard about Bronies in another forum, unrelated to MLP or TV shows. Some poster I respect started a thread about MLP. At first, I thought that the fandom was just a nostalgia thing, no different from any other old cartoons. That is, until I realized that the fandom is based on MLP G4, not the older ones that I was familiar with. I also wondered why my friend would start a poll of favorite ponies, which was enough to convince me that each pony has a unique set of traits and personalities, unlike some shallow cartoons. All those factors got me curious enough to try the first two episodes. I thought it was going to be more boring than some of those overrated animes that I tried getting into, but never could. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The Pilot episode was so good to me, that I spent the rest of the night thinking about how awesome it was. I didn't want to become a Brony, though, out of fear, so I tried not to binge-watch the next episodes, and took it slow. After watching "Suited for Success," though, there was no turning back. 

• Brohoof 3

I was in High School when I first heard about the fandom and the show but I didn't care all to much about it then. I remember the local news covering a "Brony meetup" story and honestly I thought it was awkward. This is when I still watch anime and seeing the appeal of ponies didn't evoked me. Some time later, my Father had unfortunately passed away and I felt empty inside and in everyday in life, I had a negative and pessimistic outlook in things. Never in my life where the joy and happiness is completely stripped away from me. Somehow my sisters where watching a MLP clip one day on Youtube and I remembered that news story years ago and I wonder to myself, "What makes those people so happy and optimistic in their affinity for a girly TV show?" I was actually confused. I did also remembered the previous generations that my sisters used to watch and that made me avoid the show even more. Neverless, I came to a consensus in which I would only watch the show as a way to get me mind of the negative thoughts but somehow I didn't knew that it would actually be good. After that, I dropped watching anime due to it's overall emptiness and it didn't feel like it was benefiting me.     

The first thing I noticed is the characters in how that have problems and work to find a solution to them. Twilight Sparkle was there and she learns and develops along with her friends. It was interesting to see how such indifference in personalities can come together to find a way to work together and solve problems. I find that somewhere and somehow I can find myself relating towards each of these characters. In each episode, it draws me closer to find how these friends can find the lighter side of things and have a positive outlook in their issues and that's when it hit me. I understand now in what makes them so positive despite the issues they face and just like me, I can accept and acknowledge that. The constant good values/morals and the overall great feeling of the show also allured me and by the time I knew it, I was interested in the show for real. 

I remembered watching a couple of Youtube videos and pretty much after that I began seeking the fandom. It was still in a time when I was still timid, shy about joining a Brony forum online but I did it anyway and I was greeted excitedly from the members of this very forum. Pretty much that was almost two years ago and that's how I got into the fandom and how I found the show. 

• Brohoof 5

Back in 2012 i notice all the ponys on Youtube. I watched shed.movie and leaved it behind. Few mouths later, Canterlot wedding episode appeared in the video list. And because i was borred, i decided to watch this episode to understand this pony nonsense.

After watching Canterlot wedding.

tumblr_nr2ht9hnsz1shhtfqo1_500.jpg

Edited by Crystal Peppermint
  • Brohoof 2

I first became aware the fandom around 2012 or so when I was 14 years old. Honestly, I thought it was extremely weird for anybody besides a little girl to watch a My Little Pony cartoon. My perception was based off of G3, which had existed for most of my life, and I wasn't aware that the franchise had changed so much. The "girly" themes and marketing turned me off big time. And this attitude was coming from a boy who occasionally watched The Powerpuff Girls when no one was around. :P

Fast forward to 2014, during my sophomore year of high school. I was very depressed at the time, being consumed by shyness and pessimism. It was a dark time for me. So anyways, I had continued to see bronies around the internet, whom I occasionally gave a hard time. One day, while I was sitting at home alone, I was flipping through channels and found MLP on The Hub. The episode was Castle Mane-ia. I was so bored and nothing else I really liked was on TV so I figured I'd watch the episode and see just what the fuss was about. Didn't have any expectations for it at all. I assumed it wouldn't be much more than multi-colored ponies running around saying how great friendship is. Boy, was I wrong. I enjoyed the plot and fell in love with the Mane 6 and Spike. The whole thing was adorable yet not really cheesy. I figured I might as well watch a bit more, so I decided to watch a couple more episodes and the pilot episode. Soon, I progressed from a few episodes to a few seasons, and the brony in me was born. I give that little discovery some credit for helping me get out of that depressive state and I couldn't be more thankful. :)

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 3

*Censored due to violating NSFW policies*

JK, :lol:. Out of sheer morbid curiosity I'm in this fandom. That and 4chan, and the fact that I'm enjoying my stay in this forum since originally I signed up to seek redemption of my past mistakes.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
  • Brohoof 2

I literally had NO idea what MLP was when I came across it mid-2013 (I know I somehow missed all the craze) when I was 11 (and only now do I realise how young I was), and still to this day I have no clue why I searched my little pony in Fanfiction.net (I liked reading a lot). At that point, the only mlp thing I had seen was a small part of the mlp theme song and that was months prior. After investigating some Fanfiction I decided to search what this mlp with it's magic and unicorns and mythological creatures, was. That led me the show. I liked the show and characters almost instantly after watching the Season 1 Premiere.

So I guess I fell in love with mlp because of the setting and the characters (and the many Fantastic Fanfics on Fimfiction).  

• Brohoof 4

Well, the show first aired when I was still 10, so when I first learned of it and its fandom, I hated it (Because ew, girly stuff and magic and friendship bleh). But in 2012, a lot of fan content found its way on my recommended section on YouTube, so I caved in and watched some. I liked a lot of them, so I hunted for more.

By 2014 I listened to fan music, browsed fanart, watched fan videos, and even read fanfiction. By far the largest part that sealed the deal was Fallout Equestria. On October 17, 2014 I finished reading Fallout Equestria. Sometime later, I decided that I had to actually watch the show. I watched the Cutie Map in a livestream, and the rest is history.

Edited by GeekySonic
  • Brohoof 3

When I discovered MLP in season 2 I'd never even heard of the Brony fandom. When I mentioned this cool new show I found, my brother told me there was a big adult following behind it and I got curious. I eventually joined a (different) pony forum and finally made my way here. I haven't been to any cons or done a lot of collecting so I may not be totally immersed in the fandom like a lot of other ponies but I do love the show and wouldn't miss an episode for anything. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

I've always been into "weird" stuff tbh. Something different excites me every time, and MLP was no exception. Kinda heard about the brony community from a Minecraft youtuber named Kuledud3, and got hooked INSTANTLY.

Edited by Guest

After seeing the "Epic Pie Time" video with Pinkie Pie on Youtube & thinking it was funny I watched the MLP: FiM pilot and thought it was "Ok".

Then, I thought I would watch the third episode to see if the show got any better.

Long story short, I marathoned the series for almost a week until i reached my first official episode as part of the fandom "Just for Sidekicks".

• Brohoof 2

I'm rather girly and I love cute things a lot. Despite this, I was never really into ponies. The username I have now was made before I even heard of the show, despite how pony-ish it sounds. I did like unicorns, though, and rainbows, and pink, and sparkles, and so on. Still, when a friend told me about the show in 2011, I wasn't interested. In fact, it was Rarity who got me to give the show a try.

I like collecting cute toys, stuff like Littlest Pet Shop. So I often found myself in the "pink isle" looking for new cute toys to buy. I had five dollars to spend, and while I was in the isle, a Rarity brushable caught my eye. I thought this toy was absolutely beautiful. It was exactly five dollars and I ended up buying it. After I took it home and opened the packaging, I saw a link to the official MLP website. I went there, and at the time they were giving out an iTunes digital download of the first episode for free. I watched most of it and enjoyed it. Later I came back, watched the whole episode from the start, and I began collecting the G4 toys. I saw some of the other early S1 eps on YouTube.

In October of that year I got The Hub, and I started recording MLP eps on the DVR and watching them. I saw all the available episodes that way. I became a HUGE fan of the show, and I officially became a brony. :D

• Brohoof 1

It's story time!

I love copying and pasting this story from that notepad I have saved!

*ahem*

Originally I was one of the original haters when bronies were first becoming a thing in 2010-2011. I just hurled the generic verbal abuse (you know, insinuating that bronies have "fun" with horses). Why? I was very aggravated by all my favourite sites being plastered with ponies. Then after the dust from mlp's rather explosive entrance onto the internet had settled down I basically forgot it was even a thing. It wasn't until June 2013 that I was reminded of its existence by finding out 2 of my friends were actually bronies. I didn't really care much. Eventually one convinced me to watch the show. That was the greatest (in all senses of the word; good and bad) mistake I have ever made. I binge watched every episode. Then season 4 was released, so I watched that. It wasn't until several months later that I found this place. I started talking to people, applying my questionable insight, and had a good time. Weirdly, I've rarely experienced anything I consider to actually be an at least half-hearted attempt at insult; I've only experienced the generic "You're gay", "Fag", etc. hate. I've kept watching the show, and there isn't really much more to say other than I've noticed a decline in hatred towards bronies that has correlated with a decrease in public fandom output.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

I was around 19 or 20 years old when I got into the MLP fandom. It was during one day when I was hanging out with my friends in a card shop. Two of my friends and I were playing Cardfight Vanguard. During a game, one of my friends brought up the topic of MLP. I wasn't sure what they were talking about and they explained it to me. I just shook my head and tried not to get involved in their conversation. I was being an anti-brony at the time, but my friends kept telling me that I would like it. I kept on ignoring what they were talking about for about several months. During that time, they tried to show me songs from the show. One of the songs they showed me was "This Day in Aria." When hanging out with one of my two friends, they also showed me Epic Pie Time. I think it was back in the fall of 2012 that I decided to give the show a chance. I kept saying that if I didn't like the show, then I would tell my friends and move on. I watched the first two episodes and thought it was pretty cool. When I got to the third episode, I was instantly hooked by the show. I remember watching a marathon of the first three seasons that were out at the time. Ever since that day, I continued to watch the show and I became a brony. :) 

A few years ago, I heard there was quite a large group of adults interested in My Little Pony. I must admit I found it a bit weird, but I didn't give it much more thought. There are fans for everything and if that makes them happy, that's none of my business. A little later I found out that it wasn't the old MLP but a new, supposedly better version. I still remained skeptical and didn't look into the phenomenon. I saw a couple of clips of the show when my nephew was watching it, but these scenes were so short that they couldn't really make either a positive or a negative impression on me (I think I remember seeing a bunch of pegasi flying around and someone saying the name "Rarity" which caught my ear for some reason). Years went by as I remained mostly ignorant of MLP.

Early this year, I somehow ended up reading some website talking about bronies. This time, my interest was piqued a little more. First I watched a couple of very short clips, but again, these clips didn't really represent the show on the whole (one of the clips was about Twilight's fear of quesadillas). At this point, I still hadn't seen more than a minute or two of the show in total, but I thought the character designs were cool. For some reason, I started reading a lot of stuff about bronies and gained a lot of respect for them. I've always hated the stigma against adults watching cartoons, and here we had people openly liking not just any cartoon but one about ponies! I also ended up listening to a couple of fan songs ("Discord" was one) and I liked them. But still something (guess I still had some prejudice) kept me from actually watching an episode.

It all was about to change in May. I was going through boredom and frustration. One night, I was so bored I decided I had to do something and had absolutely no idea what to do. Unable to think of anything else, I thought I might as well watch an episode of that pony cartoon and see what the fuss is about. If I like it, then I finally have something to do. If I don't, well, no one will ever have to know I spent 20 minutes watching something so silly. So I looked up the first episode and started watching. I felt a bit weird watching it (especially the part of the intro with Twilight in the balloon), but it wasn't bad at all. It was alright, not the greatest thing I had ever seen but enough to make me feel less bored for its duration. A couple of weeks later, I was bored again. What was I to do? Well, since that pony show actually turned out to be watchable, I might as well watch the second episode. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first one and thought I might as well watch one more episode to see if I really like it or if it was a one-off. The following night, I watched and loved "The Ticket Master" and I had to admit it to myself: I was a brony. "Applebuck Season" made me love the show even more and it was then that I knew I had to watch the rest. Soon I had watched the entire first season, "come out" to the first person (my sister) and joined these forums. I remained an awkward closet brony for a while, but after four seasons and two months of actively watching the show, I finally uttered the words I had never thought I'd say to my parents: "I watch My Little Pony". I first began to love the show for its humor, but the more I see it, the more I also appreciate the characters, the action and the dramatic elements. I started out liking the show in spite of the cute ponies, now I embrace its cuteness along with everything else that makes it so great! :grin:

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 2

Ive been with mlp since season one as a kid, and I loved it and just kept watching it. Each ep is diff and interesting. I was actually the first one to watch it before my sisters. I began watching it on tv then youtube and so on. Well, thats all I have to say. Have a great day:squee:~

• Brohoof 1

Curiosity, for the most part.

I ran out of episodes of the show I was watching at the time and, after having seen ponies everywhere for the prior 2 years, I decided to find out if people were actually genuinely liking the show or if it was just one of countless memes.

Next thing you know, I ended up being part of the fandom. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rainbow Dash. it was nice to finally see a decent tomboy character in a cartoon and ironic because she's got rainbow mane and tail. Still my fave. So she got me invested in the show, but community fandom stuff didnt happen until 2012 when I went to a pony promotion day at my local Forbidden Planet - they were having a pony day for all the new merch they just got in. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 10:43 AM, Rainbow-Starlight said:

I'm rather girly and I love cute things a lot. Despite this, I was never really into ponies. The username I have now was made before I even heard of the show, despite how pony-ish it sounds. I did like unicorns, though, and rainbows, and pink, and sparkles, and so on. Still, when a friend told me about the show in 2011, I wasn't interested. In fact, it was Rarity who got me to give the show a try.

I like collecting cute toys, stuff like Littlest Pet Shop. So I often found myself in the "pink isle" looking for new cute toys to buy. I had five dollars to spend, and while I was in the isle, a Rarity brushable caught my eye. I thought this toy was absolutely beautiful. It was exactly five dollars and I ended up buying it. After I took it home and opened the packaging, I saw a link to the official MLP website. I went there, and at the time they were giving out an iTunes digital download of the first episode for free. I watched most of it and enjoyed it. Later I came back, watched the whole episode from the start, and I began collecting the G4 toys. I saw some of the other early S1 eps on YouTube.

In October of that year I got The Hub, and I started recording MLP eps on the DVR and watching them. I saw all the available episodes that way. I became a HUGE fan of the show, and I officially became a brony. :D

Okay, so I have to know, how much do you actually like Rainbow Dash and Starlight Glimmer? Your username being unrelated makes me curious.