Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you consider EqG to be an anime?

Soaring Symphony

2 hours ago, jorge123esp said:

Nope. EQG has a very different style compared to the anime style. It looks way different. 

@cmarston1

art style or quality has nothing to do whether its an anime or not. Crayon Shinshan and Doereamon are anime, yet they are a completely different art style from, say DBZ or Sailor Moon. "Anime" is a shortened term for "animation", and animation has a wide variety of art styles under it. So Equestria Girls- being an animated show/ movie, is in face an "anime"

• Brohoof 1

43 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

@cmarston1

art style or quality has nothing to do whether its an anime or not. Crayon Shinshan and Doereamon are anime, yet they are a completely different art style from, say DBZ or Sailor Moon. "Anime" is a shortened term for "animation", and animation has a wide variety of art styles under it. So Equestria Girls- being an animated show/ movie, is in face an "anime"

If you want to use anime as a synonym for cartoon then sure.

But people would probably find it weird if you started calling the Simpsons an anime.

I wouldn't necessarily refer to Equestria Girls as an anime though it has been adapting some of the common tropes seen in it as of late--ones that are story driven and not the animation itself. Japanese anime has a certain distinction that sets it apart from other forms of animation though the term "anime" has been causing confusion in recent years though I doubt it was ever intended to have such an effect.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not very knowledgeable about anime, but a lot of Western cartoons have large eyes, and Equestria Girls doesn't have a strong Japanese influence or much resemblance to any stereotypical "anime" styles. 

Why on earth would someone? Anime is not a "style" by any definition. Anime is, for us westerners, animation from Japan. Why try to over-complicate it? There just isn't any reason.

• Brohoof 1

Anime is animation made by Japanese company in Japan. EQG is not anime because it not from Japan. However, i can see some cartoons are influence by animes.

If not for anime influence, you may see more he-man style than Korra, FIM, or Teen Titan style. Just my two cents.

Bonus: My country's comics are heavily influenced by manga styles, if they dont have our native language, i wont realize those comics are made by us.

Edited by Lambdadelta

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2017 at 1:09 PM, Soaring Symphony said:

They do have the huge anime eyes after all.

Image result for equestria girls

If you ask me, equestria girls is kind of a mix between my little pony and anime and like that.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:09 PM, Soaring Symphony said:

They do have the huge anime eyes after all.

Image result for equestria girls

And they have rether large heads too.