Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best platform for sharing/discussing art?

Merion

Spoiler

First of all, I'm not sure if this kind of a topic is allowed here on the Forums, and I hope I'm not getting banned for starting it! D:

So basically I'm looking for a place where I could showcase my pony artwork. An active artist community where I can get some feedback and critique. And, possibly, gain popularity and recognition in the community.

I've tried tumblr, but it lacks the comment/discussion options. FurAffinity has a really poor browsing and category system (and let's be honest, it's basically a fetish site). I have an art thread here, on the Forums (it's HERE), but I get very little feedback (which is understandable since art is not the main focus of this site).

So far, the best place I can think of is deviantArt. Problem is, I don't really like the site itself. Too many dumb and unnecessary features that draw your attention away from art. In order to gain popularity and get feedback, you need to participate in all of the weird social stuff like llama trade and whatnot... :scots: I ain't got time fo' this. <old fart mode> The site was SO MUCH better 10+ years ago </old fart mode>

So...? Any ideas? Does anyone know a good art sharing site? Maybe you know an active facebook art group? Anything? :rarity:

Edited by Merion
  • Brohoof 2

In my opinion, I think DeviantArt is the best page for sharing your art, but is very hard to have feedback. There's a lot of groups in DeviantArt, so you can share your art with those groups and get some feedback. 

Edited by jorge123esp
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, jorge123esp said:

In my opinion, I think DeviantArt is the best page for sharing your art, but is very hard to have feedback. There's a lot of groups in DeviantArt, so you can share your art with those groups and get some feedback.

Not getting any feedback is a big issue with deviantArt. I submit each piece of my art to 10+ groups and I still get like 2 comments for it. :sunny: 

I do get lots of llama badges, tho :/

I even don't receive llama badges :maud:. The last llama I receive was this April I think. 

As I said before, is hard to have feedback. I've been in DA like almost 4 years and I even don't have 100 followers. It depends a lot of your luck. 

Edit: BTW, your figures are very very nice. Have you tried to send your figures to Equestria Daily? I'm sure you'll be featured. 

Edited by jorge123esp
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, jorge123esp said:

As I said before, is hard to have feedback. I've been in DA like almost 4 years and I even don't have 100 followers. It depends a lot of your luck. 

Edit: BTW, your figures are very very nice. Have you tried to send your figures to Equestria Daily? I'm sure you'll be featured. 

Aw, sorry about the lack of feedback :< I feel you!

I have and all of them got featured! :) Still no feedback in the comments section, tho!

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Merion said:

Aw, sorry about the lack of feedback :< I feel you!

I have and all of them got featured! :) Still no feedback in the comments section, tho!

Don't worry. Now I just draw when I want. And when my left hand let me do (I have a cyst in my left hand, and I'm left-handed, so is hard to draw with it, because it hurts). 

Mmph. Truth be told, Merion, I'm not aware of any other platforms specifically oriented towards the area of art that could suit your needs anymore better than those previously listed. However, I have been part of a discord group, mainly brony but accepting of all sorts of art, that is quite crowded (at least during my sojourn) and may help you to find new contacts among artists. The server is called The Art Plaza Extravaganza (TAPE). I would share the link myself, but I have been evicted due to being the source of pernicious amounts of shiteposting. @Lady Kiriness,however, may still be a member. You could ask her.

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, jorge123esp said:

Don't worry. Now I just draw when I want. And when my left hand let me do (I have a cyst in my left hand, and I'm left-handed, so is hard to draw with it, because it hurts). 

Sorry to hear that! D: Hope you get better soon! 

5 hours ago, Shadow Beam said:

The server is called The Art Plaza Extravaganza (TAPE). I would share the link myself, but I have been evicted due to being the source of pernicious amounts of shiteposting. @Lady Kiriness,however, may still be a member. You could ask her.

Thanks, I'll sure check it out! :D

(That part on shitepisting cracked me up xD)

• Brohoof 2

DeviantArt is the best place. Though it can be bit slow to get the audience in there since  there are so many artists there and because of that  getting your piece somehow to stand out from the rest is kinda tough. You really need to put some effort into standing out because just submitting art i dont think is often times enough to draw the attention of people  there.

On 8/4/2017 at 2:41 AM, Merion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

First of all, I'm not sure if this kind of a topic is allowed here on the Forums, and I hope I'm not getting banned for starting it! D:

So basically I'm looking for a place where I could showcase my pony artwork. An active artist community where I can get some feedback and critique. And, possibly, gain popularity and recognition in the community.

I've tried tumblr, but it lacks the comment/discussion options. FurAffinity has a really poor browsing and category system (and let's be honest, it's basically a fetish site). I have an art thread here, on the Forums (it's HERE), but I get very little feedback (which is understandable since art is not the main focus of this site).

So far, the best place I can think of is deviantArt. Problem is, I don't really like the site itself. Too many dumb and unnecessary features that draw your attention away from art. In order to gain popularity and get feedback, you need to participate in all of the weird social stuff like llama trade and whatnot... :scots: I ain't got time fo' this. <old fart mode> The site was SO MUCH better 10+ years ago </old fart mode>

So...? Any ideas? Does anyone know a good art sharing site? Maybe you know an active facebook art group? Anything? :rarity:

http://www.conceptart.org/go/learn/

http://sycra.net/forum/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Art/

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Shadow Beam said:

@Lady Kiriness,however, may still be a member. You could ask her.

I left that server some time ago because I needed to downsize. Instagram is a pretty nice place to share art and network with other artists, though. 

I also use Twitter and Tumblr, though I don't interact with artists one on one as much as I do on Instagram. That being said, I don't really get critiques through these sites; I usually turn to friends for some advice. ^^ 

• Brohoof 1