Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Sunset shimmer/twilight music video!

Unlikeable Pony

one thing I find interesting about sunset's home is how it looks like a tiny apartment (I guess she lives alone after all and is 18?) and her house looks kind of jury rigged and kind of junky; she uses christmas lights for light and her clock is duct taped together and cracked.

Untitled.png

• Brohoof 5

I don't really have anything against the 5 shorts we got last Sunday, but I think I got more enjoyment out of this one than I did with all of those combined. Maybe it's because of Sunset Shimmer and the fact we actually see her living quarters (which seems far too good to someone who was completely on her own for the longest time, if you ask me).

Oh my god, I loved that so much! We got to see Sunset's place, she looked great in her hoodie, the song was great and seeing everyone not at their best was a good laugh.

Also got one of my questions answered, looks like Dash's powers don't protect her shoes after all. Hope she doesn't ruin any more. So much better showing than the last time, hoping for more shorts like that.

Favorite part:

IMG_0669.PNG

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 7

18 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, we now have a glimpse of Sunny's home :dash: . I still wonder how she's paying for it though :huh: 

16 hour shifts on saturday and sunday at her Sushi wagon, and 4 hour shifts the rest of the week after school :P

this.is.why.you.haven't.seen.the.sirens.in.a.while.jpeg

• Brohoof 2

31 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

16 hour shifts on saturday and sunday at her Sushi wagon, and 4 hour shifts the rest of the week after school :P

this.is.why.you.haven't.seen.the.sirens.in.a.while.jpeg

So, I've known about Sunset aparently running a sushi van, but it did just occur to me. Does she eat it? Did she take the plunge and switch to a human omnivorous diet? 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

one thing I find interesting about sunset's home is how it looks like a tiny apartment (I guess she lives alone after all and is 18?) and her house looks kind of jury rigged and kind of junky; she uses christmas lights for light and her clock is duct taped together and cracked.

Untitled.png

Before I moved out, I had Christmas tree lights all over my bedroom. I thought it a great look. I give Sunny two hooves thumbs up for her decor! Oh, and the battered clock is due to how Sunset shuts it off by a good solid thump!

Now back after actually watching the video. Is it me, or did Sunset and Twilight just look so cute waking up with serious bed-head? They did a nice job contrasting their mornings on a rainy day. I found yet another thing I have in common with Twilight too! On rainy days, I always have a back-up small umbrella in my bag! One never knows what will happen!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Monday Blues is at a level of quality that all of the EQG movies should aim for (which none of them came close to). A simple, but effective story that shows us who they are as characters in their world. Nicely done. ^^

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I see no evidence that SS' s apartment/loft is junky,  as op clains

Well, the Christmas lights and messed up clock were mentioned. As I said above. I used to have Christmas lights strung all over my bedroom. I liked them on when I was going to bed. As for the clock. It was battered to imply Sunset always smacks it off when it rings. I myself thought her apartment with bedroom loft looked great!

I loved this music video because it showed us the kind of place Sunset resides in without the use of dialogue not to mention the effects, the timing, the singing--thank you once again Rebecca Shoichet--and the overall atmosphere. While my heart still prefers Embrace the Magic, this song is definitely up there in my list of favourite songs... probably at around number three or four.

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Well, the Christmas lights and messed up clock were mentioned. As I said above. I used to have Christmas lights strung all over my bedroom. I liked them on when I was going to bed. As for the clock. It was battered to imply Sunset always smacks it off when it rings. I myself thought her apartment with bedroom loft looked great!

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I see no evidence that SS' s apartment/loft is junky,  as op clains

The copper piping in her bathroom also gave off a bit of an old/ rundown look, given how its running outside of the walls instead of behind the walls to the knobs.

1503007__safe_screencap_sunset+shimmer_equestria+girls_spoiler-colon-eqg+summertime+shorts_mirror_monday+blues.jpeg

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

The copper piping in her bathroom also gave off a bit of an old/ rundown look, given how its running outside of the walls instead of behind the walls to the knobs.

1503007__safe_screencap_sunset+shimmer_equestria+girls_spoiler-colon-eqg+summertime+shorts_mirror_monday+blues.jpeg

That implies its old, to have installation like that, not junky

• Brohoof 1

58 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

That implies its old, to have installation like that, not junky

Or was a conversion. Seen plenty of student flats or added en-suites like that - channeling brick, laying in pipework and then plaster fill is a three man job (and if it's a structural/supporting wall, may even need planning permission), surface mount piping the plumber can do on his own, so it's significantly less cost and time.

Similarly, the loft rail and it's support are a hazard in the dark, so maybe she has string lights along them so she can see where they are if she gets up in the night (and get to/from bed after putting out the main light) - that's a bit of a homebrew solution, but also seen plenty of such solutions where the designers have had a great artistic vision and given absolutely no thought to how you are expected to LIVE in that space...

And yeah, I think the clock started out perfectly fine, but its a hard life being a clock that wakes up a Sunny....

10 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Or was a conversion. Seen plenty of student flats or added en-suites like that - channeling brick, laying in pipework and then plaster fill is a three man job (and if it's a structural/supporting wall, may even need planning permission), surface mount piping the plumber can do on his own, so it's significantly less cost and time.

Similarly, the loft rail and it's support are a hazard in the dark, so maybe she has string lights along them so she can see where they are if she gets up in the night (and get to/from bed after putting out the main light) - that's a bit of a homebrew solution, but also seen plenty of such solutions where the designers have had a great artistic vision and given absolutely no thought to how you are expected to LIVE in that space...

And yeah, I think the clock started out perfectly fine, but its a hard life being a clock that wakes up a Sunny....

We were told by the books that Sunset is something of an engineer, so maybe she brought a really junky place up cheap, and fixed it up herself.

Almost everything looks DIY, and the furniture all looks like stuff you could grab from a charity store for an absolute steal.

Edited by Philweasel

Speaking of that screenshot... the basic design of the shampoo bottle above the cactus may remind some of you of a certain real-life shampoo. And it is all kinds of great once you find out what it actually resembles.

I think I expect too much from these. 

Honestly, this song was a bit catchier than the "Mad Twience" one, and I had a much easier time telling what was happening this time around, but I'm still a little bothered by the vapidity of the lyrics and the situations. Half of this series' appeal is that it's embellished by magic and elements from the MLP show proper, and compared with the career advancement we see in the show, getting to school on a rainy day isn't super compelling. 

Still, this does get the other half of the series' appeal, which to me has always been simply seeing these familiar characters in unfamiliar environments. I wouldn't say we get a very good feel for Twilight's day-to-day life, but seeing Sunset's living quarters was really nice. I've been wondering about that for a while, and it's fun to have it confirmed that her living place is a little run down. Also nice is the possibility that she uses horse shampoo. Hope this isn't the closest we get to Sunset doing horse things in the series. 

This had a little bit of nice slapstick and a bit more charm than any of the other shorts. Certainly looks better than the ones from that other animation studio. But while I like this song a bit better, the early 2010s dance-pop vibe isn't doing too much for me. But of all the Equestria Girls songs since "Legend of Everfree," this is the one I can most see myself going back to. Can't wait for this series to try something with some substance again, though. 

• Brohoof 1