Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Sunset shimmer/twilight music video!

Unlikeable Pony

I love how Twilight lives in some big ass house. I mean in normal mlp Twilight obviously came from more of a middle class family, it was just that she was Celestia's student and her brother was in the royal guard. Not sure where they got the money from in this world. Also I guess this means Sunset is 18? Which makes sense given context. I'm actually glad they didn't show her parents though. I mean what's weirder Sunset living by herself, or her having parents? 

8 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

I love how Twilight lives in some big ass house. I mean in normal mlp Twilight obviously came from more of a middle class family, it was just that she was Celestia's student and her brother was in the royal guard.

Often wondered about that.

Ok, so Twi has no visible means of support, but her brother is Captain of the Guard and her foalsitter was the only other Alicorn in existence other than the Royal Sisters themselves (and who of course her brother ended up marrying) so it would make sense that she came from a family heavily connected to the Royal Court.

That said though, the comics, while showing them to be a typical middle class family, put rather a different slant on things (but throw up a few other issues, such as, given Cadence was quite blatant in her intentions while pumping Twi for information on her brother, and presumably started dating him as soon as Buck Withers was given the hoof, why Twi was so oblivious to the impending marriage and to whom)

8 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

Not sure where they got the money from in this world. Also I guess this means Sunset is 18? Which makes sense given context. I'm actually glad they didn't show her parents though. I mean what's weirder Sunset living by herself, or her having parents? 

Presumably she has parents, but back ponyside?

36 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

I love how Twilight lives in some big ass house. I mean in normal mlp Twilight obviously came from more of a middle class family, it was just that she was Celestia's student and her brother was in the royal guard. Not sure where they got the money from in this world. Also I guess this means Sunset is 18? Which makes sense given context. I'm actually glad they didn't show her parents though. I mean what's weirder Sunset living by herself, or her having parents? 

I always believed Twilights family had to be of some importance since Cadance was her babysitter even before she got her Cutie mark. And yes, I read that one comic, but I refuse to consider it canon.

IMG_0677.PNG

As for Sunset, it's possible that she is 18, or maybe she sued for emancipation. (For those unaware, a minor can sue the state to be considered a legal adult, a process called emancipation. With Sunset being entirely without family and a ward of the state, all she would have to do would be prove she can generate enough income to provide for herself.)

Edited by ShootingStar159

On 8/4/2017 at 10:30 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Well, we now have a glimpse of Sunny's home :dash: . I still wonder how she's paying for it though :huh: 

I thought about this, we know that she carried the book through the portal, so when she went through (despite what we saw in the comic book) she might have had a bag full of stuff, including Equestrian coins.  Equestria still uses actual gold for their coinage, so a few coins would have set her up rather well to start with.  Even if she didn't do a direct exchange for cash -which would have raised a few legal problems- she could have simply sold them to a jewelry dealer claiming that they were old family heirlooms.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:55 PM, Whompy Whomperson said:

I'm jealous of Sunset's....apartment? 

I'm going with apartment :P

I wonder if she owns the whole building and lives off the rent from the downstairs tenant?  Her place seemed to be only the top floor.

• Brohoof 1

i simply love this one ^_^

have had the song in my head since I heard it aired. I love Sunset Shimmer, keep seeing more of myself in her as the EQ episodes go on. I love her "screw it" moment with her hair ^^ I'm also glad to see she has an apartment. Its certainly the kind of apartment I would love to have if I lived in London. open air bedroom area and open plan living space. Those places cost a fair bit here in the UK.

Not sure what the standard building regs are like over the pond, but copper piping, as youve all pointed out, is a standard feature in any kind of home. Heck the wealthier houses have exposed brass and copper piping on the walls in bathrooms as a feature not because of a cost issue to upgrade.  If anything points out the condition/age of the place, its the awful old wallpaper in the bathroom. 

though it does appear that her kitchen consists of a fridge and microwave. also pssssst double bed anyone? Usually in film/TV/cartoons that hints she hasn't/does'nt live alone. Maybe Flash hung out a few nights? *wink wink*

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but since this post is what brought me to the forums in the first place, I thought I might as well weigh in with some of my own observations.

First of all, I was at almost Pinkie Pie levels of excitement when I found out that we'd FINALLY get to see Sunset Shimmer's home. :D  I mean that was one thing that had been kinda bugging me in the back of my head since the first Equestria Girls came out:  Where in the wide world of Equestria was Sunset Shimmer staying in the Human world?!  That fact also was part of why I also was kind of starting to lose my enthusiasm for Sunset as a character since, unlike the other girls, we had absolutely no information about her background between when she left Equestria & when she stole Twilight's crown and got nothing more about it (aside from 1 or two comics, which I consider to be loose canon at best) until now.

It was kind of what I expected:  I always kind of figured, as resourceful as Sunset seems to be, she probably loaded up her saddle bags with gems & bits (which an earlier poster pointed out she could easily pawn for quite a bit of money), and since the initial Equestria Girls Canterlot map was leaked on Equestria Daily a while back, it seems that she's living in one of the "low rent" areas of town.  Furthermore, since, taking certain liberties with scale into consideration, Canterlot seems to be about the same size as the town I live in, it would be entirely possible to buy a semi-attached house the size in such an area for under $20K, even under $15K for a "fixer-upper" (this is based on when I was looking to buy a house 5 years ago).

I also really like the other small hints that point to her house being such a project (e.g. the thrift store furniture, DIY plumbing mods, etc) and other little details, like the bottle of Mane 'n' Tail shampoo (probably the one familiar thing from Equestria that she could still get in this world).

Finally, I'd like to add that Sunset is TOTALLY me when I had to get up for school, or when I get up for work now (although my alarm clock is a Timex & can handle the abuse better than hers can, lol).  Heck, I even would wear an old Vietnam-era Army jacket with a stow-able hood when it rained, and I'd even do the exact same "tighten the drawstrings on the hood" thing Sunset did in the video.

All in all, an excellent short and very enjoyable.  I hope we get to see the girls spend some time at Sunset's place in the near future. :D

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, DJ_Bonebraker said:

Ok, I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but since this post is what brought me to the forums in the first place, I thought I might as well weigh in with some of my own observations.

First of all, I was at almost Pinkie Pie levels of excitement when I found out that we'd FINALLY get to see Sunset Shimmer's home. :D  I mean that was one thing that had been kinda bugging me in the back of my head since the first Equestria Girls came out:  Where in the wide world of Equestria was Sunset Shimmer staying in the Human world?!  That fact also was part of why I also was kind of starting to lose my enthusiasm for Sunset as a character since, unlike the other girls, we had absolutely no information about her background between when she left Equestria & when she stole Twilight's crown and got nothing more about it (aside from 1 or two comics, which I consider to be loose canon at best) until now.

It was kind of what I expected:  I always kind of figured, as resourceful as Sunset seems to be, she probably loaded up her saddle bags with gems & bits (which an earlier poster pointed out she could easily pawn for quite a bit of money), and since the initial Equestria Girls Canterlot map was leaked on Equestria Daily a while back, it seems that she's living in one of the "low rent" areas of town.  Furthermore, since, taking certain liberties with scale into consideration, Canterlot seems to be about the same size as the town I live in, it would be entirely possible to buy a semi-attached house the size in such an area for under $20K, even under $15K for a "fixer-upper" (this is based on when I was looking to buy a house 5 years ago).

I also really like the other small hints that point to her house being such a project (e.g. the thrift store furniture, DIY plumbing mods, etc) and other little details, like the bottle of Mane 'n' Tail shampoo (probably the one familiar thing from Equestria that she could still get in this world).

Finally, I'd like to add that Sunset is TOTALLY me when I had to get up for school, or when I get up for work now (although my alarm clock is a Timex & can handle the abuse better than hers can, lol).  Heck, I even would wear an old Vietnam-era Army jacket with a stow-able hood when it rained, and I'd even do the exact same "tighten the drawstrings on the hood" thing Sunset did in the video.

All in all, an excellent short and very enjoyable.  I hope we get to see the girls spend some time at Sunset's place in the near future. :D

I always figured the place where CHS is would be the human equivalent of Ponyville, not Canterlot.

2 hours ago, Skytower said:

I always figured the place where CHS is would be the human equivalent of Ponyville, not Canterlot.

Or it's probably los Angeles minely because of the outdoor theater(from reinbow rocks), the observatory(in the left-hand corner of the map) or the warehouses(from mirror magic).

14 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Presumably, she did some Pawn Stars shenanigans with some Equestrian Bits.

That's the theory I'm going with... Like I said, if the bits were actual gold, at current gold prices & the current market value for a fixer-upper row house in many downtown areas (a.k.a. the hood), it wouldn't take too awful many either.

59 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Presumably, she did some Pawn Stars shenanigans with some Equestrian Bits.

Maybe. Or she took some jewels from the Mines in Equestria to make some money. They do use jewels as money in Equestria sometimes.

9 hours ago, Brainstorm said:

Maybe. Or she took some jewels from the Mines in Equestria to make some money. They do use jewels as money in Equestria sometimes.

Depends on how much time and planning Sunset had when she first went through the portal.  I know the comics have a backstory for that but I haven't seen it yet.  It's probable though that when she went through and saw CHS, grasped the possibilities and ease of ruling a high school such as that one, that she used whatever was handy to generate the cash to find a place to live.  I have a feeling that -like Twilight- Sunset spent some nights in the school before getting settled in her apartment.  That would explain why the book connecting her to Equestria was still in her locker.  When she moved into her new place she deliberately left it behind in case Celestia ever tried to contact her that way.

32 minutes ago, Skytower said:

Depends on how much time and planning Sunset had when she first went through the portal.  I know the comics have a backstory for that but I haven't seen it yet.  It's probable though that when she went through and saw CHS, grasped the possibilities and ease of ruling a high school such as that one, that she used whatever was handy to generate the cash to find a place to live.  I have a feeling that -like Twilight- Sunset spent some nights in the school before getting settled in her apartment.  That would explain why the book connecting her to Equestria was still in her locker.  When she moved into her new place she deliberately left it behind in case Celestia ever tried to contact her that way.

Probably, but it's a good guess.