Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spoiler Movie budget and complete score info released

Unlikeable Pony

Just now, Hierok said:

When do you think you can see it on the internet? :)

If the first EG is anything to go by, most likely the next day after it premieres (yeah, someone will record the whole movie with the phone :dash: ), but I ain't getting that shit this time, I'LL BUY MY TICKET AND WATCH IT ON THEATERS YO :yay: 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

If the first EG is anything to go by, most likely the next day after it premieres (yeah, someone will record the whole movie with the phone :dash: ), but I ain't getting that shit this time, I'LL BUY MY TICKET AND WATCH IT ON THEATERS YO :yay: 

I won't. The dutch dub is terrible. :D Phone records are terrible too, so I will just wait I guess. :grin:

1 minute ago, Hierok said:

Phone records are terrible too, so I will just wait I guess. :grin:

Still better than avoiding anything pony-related sites for months because of spoilers galore :D 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

Still better than avoiding anything pony-related sites for months because of spoilers galore :D 

I don't mind spoilers. I often search for spoilers before watching a movie. ^_^

2 hours ago, Hierok said:

I don't mind spoilers. I often search for spoilers before watching a movie. ^_^

Is your lucky day then, as there's a seek and find book with all the spoilers :D

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Hierok said:

Yeah, that is true, but do you think competing against other movies is a real problem? All those other movies are for other age- or fungroups.

There could be other animated movies released around the same which would compete with MLP.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

There could be other animated movies released around the same which would compete with MLP.

The only one that fits that category is Lego NinjaGo movie, but I think it'll have a week when the pony movie premieres 

11 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

The only one that fits that category is Lego NinjaGo movie, but I think it'll have a week when the pony movie premieres 

Long enough if you'll ask me.

It's good that the only other competition this movie could potentially face is for the exact opposite demographic MLP is meant for with having a two week time frame between releases. It would suck to have this movie open up the same night as the latest Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, or even Star Wars movie. We don't want another Alvin and the Chipmunks scenario where it opens the same night as the latest Star Wars movie.

1 hour ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

It's good that the only other competition this movie could potentially face is for the exact opposite demographic MLP is meant for with having a two week time frame between releases. It would suck to have this movie open up the same night as the latest Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, or even Star Wars movie. We don't want another Alvin and the Chipmunks scenario where it opens the same night as the latest Star Wars movie.

At the same time, there is a very good REASON for that; the time is a very bad time to be releasing family/kids movies.

There's no holidays for kids to be off school and out with families, school's still in session so the mid day matinees are going to be empty, and fall in general isn't a very good time for movies to be released.

They don't have much competition, but about the only time where they can expect alot of people going to see it are on Friday nights (school's out and the weekend's starting, so parents will take the kids out as a celebration) and the weekends (kids out of school, duh :p). Mid days in the week are going to be fighting an uphill battle--- the only people going to see the midday showings Mon-Thur will be the adult fans and parents with Pre-kindergarteners, so they better hope they turn out.

3 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

At the same time, there is a very good REASON for that; the time is a very bad time to be releasing family/kids movies.

There's no holidays for kids to be off school and out with families, school's still in session so the mid day matinees are going to be empty, and fall in general isn't a very good time for movies to be released.

They don't have much competition, but about the only time where they can expect alot of people going to see it are on Friday nights (school's out and the weekend's starting, so parents will take the kids out as a celebration) and the weekends (kids out of school, duh :p). Mid days in the week are going to be fighting an uphill battle--- the only people going to see the midday showings Mon-Thur will be the adult fans and parents with Pre-kindergarteners, so they better hope they turn out.

I know it's a gamble to show the movie at that time, but I think ponies are in the losing end on any competition due to the dreaded stigma. Hell, if I where the producers or whoever is in charge to dictate the release, I would have done the same. Can you imagine how insulting would be if ponies flop in the box office only because it was facing competition for the likes of the Smurf, Emoji Movie or Alvin and the Chipmunks :eww: ?

(edited)
37 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I know it's a gamble to show the movie at that time, but I think ponies are in the losing end on any competition due to the dreaded stigma. Hell, if I where the producers or whoever is in charge to dictate the release, I would have done the same. Can you imagine how insulting would be if ponies flop in the box office only because it was facing competition for the likes of the Smurf, Emoji Movie or Alvin and the Chipmunks :eww: ?

Actually not surprising about the emoji movie; Sony pictures was absolutely hellbent on seeing it succeed, so they pulled out all the marketing stops they could think of to make sure it turned a profit; the review embargo for example to make sure people couldn't find out how crappy it was from reviews before going to see it.

Combined with their aggressive advertisement of it, its actually doing decently, if not being a smash hit; its sales are exceeding its budget a decent bit, so its at least paying for itself, to say nothing of the merchandise tie ins-- If a studio WANTS to see a kids movie succeed, and can get the higher ups behind it unquestioningly, it usually can make it succeed just by drilling previews into little kids heads.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

3 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Actually not surprising about the emoji movie; Sony pictures was absolutely hellbent on seeing it succeed, so they pulled out all the marketing stops they could think of to make sure it turned a profit; the review embargo for example to make sure people couldn't find out how crappy it was from reviews before going to see it.

Combined with their aggressive advertisement of it, its actually doing decently, if not being a smash hit; its sales are exceeding its budget a decent bit, so its at least paying for itself, to say nothing of the merchandise tie ins-- If a studio WANTS to see a kids movie succeed, and can get the higher ups behind it unquestioningly, it usually can make it succeed just by drilling previews into little kids heads.

Sad truth right? A shitty movie can still turn a commercial success if advertised enough and appeal to the lowest common denominator, and for the sole premise of being about some hip popular culture, is a huge advantage against ponies who carry the damn stigma :dry: . It may normally not be the best time for animated movies, but I think they've nailed it considering the circumstances. A bad time for your type is better if you can hoard the spotlight :dash: , just hope they do a good job with the ads when the time comes :sunny: