Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My First Applewhack at Applejack!

Widdershins

So here's my first attempt at making a completed, colored, non-lined paper art of a pony! Figured I'd start with Applejack! (and without that bloody, lumpy mess of a hat of hers!!!)

IMG_3777.jpg

And yes, It was intentional that I made her hair the same color as the hay bale she's posing on & tied up with the same rope she uses for work. AJ don't strike me as the sort of mare that thinks more about accessories any further than "Well, hairs outta way now, back to work." I wanted a more light-brown-tan-orange, but I only have so much to work with in my colored pencils. Originally I had wanted to have her mopping her brow after work while simultaneously tipping her hat, but two things got in the way of that. One, that I can't draw that blasted Stenson and secondly, that I really don't think a pony's foreleg can swivel up high enough to reach their face. Well... not without looking incredibly weird. I'm a bit of a perfectionist I suppose, if you can't tell from the various smudges that wouldn't erase away enough.

Do let me know what y'all think! All the better'n to keep in mind for my next projects! 

• Brohoof 6

@Radience Well, I figure real horse's legs are kinda wonky-bent anyhow... so I'm kind of aiming for a middle ground there. And I figure, if any mare has overdeveloped back leg muscles it would probably be Applejack.  Shoot, though think you're right on them being too long too!

Just now, Widdershins said:

@Radience Well, I figure real horse's legs are kinda wonky-bent anyhow... so I'm kind of aiming for a middle ground there. And I figure, if any mare has overdeveloped back leg muscles it would probably be Applejack.  Shoot, though think you're right on them being too long too!

I prefer seeing them drawn in like show style. If they don't have something in the show, I think it shouldn't be on the drawing, I guess my mind just does that. Although you are right. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Radience said:

I prefer seeing them drawn in like show style.

Well, I am at least aiming for show style somewhat. What would you say show-style even is?

...The neck a little long? Think I stretched the neck out.

Just now, Widdershins said:

Well, I am at least aiming for show style somewhat. What would you say show-style even is?

...The neck a little long? Think I stretched the neck out.

Neck needs to be shorter. Show style is like this. 

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/d/d8/Applejack_S01E13_cropped.png/revision/latest?cb=20130419182236 

It's not bad. Anatomy is a little off though, mostly in the way the legs bend. You have to try and imagine how a four-legged animal's legs bend. Applejack's front legs look kind of disfigured bent like that, especially because no four-legged animal's front legs bend like that. There are tutorials you can look up that show how to draw different leg positions. Even just studying how other people draw legs like this can help a lot. if you practice though, you'll get better, trust me.

• Brohoof 1