Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Double Diamond portrayed as "gay"?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

It is a common fan portrayal to depict that silly skiing white horse as if he is gay, and he tends to be shipped with either one of his friends: Party Favor, or Braeburn (less often).

So, I am curious about what is it about Double Diamond that made fans depict him as a gay pony: is it that he looks as cute as Braeburn, or his light voice?

I think it is funny to watch.

Edited by HorsesandMOARGaloar
Spelling error
  • Brohoof 1

To me, every stallion is sexy!

I know, buck me in the face if you want to, but I truly would be satisfied being with any of them. Even jerks like Blueblood, Wind Rider, Gladmane, and Garble could be mine if they stop being jerks!

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, HorsesandMOARGaloar said:

Well, which ones will be your favourites?

Perhaps it is because they are so cute.

Here my top 5 each one from a different race:

1. An older Spike the Dragon. As long as he remains a gentle giant, he can be as large as a mountain!

teenage_spike_by_lopoddity-d776y6f.thumb.png.672c63b028f8679b7d976deb9f50a47e.png

Art by Lopoddity

2. Thorax the Changeling. Both forms can be sexy, but I prefer his King form a bit more. 

595f2c8e968fc_download(8).jpg.b2c9435f6979c493894b4531a976ee46.jpg5959614941131_UncleThorax.gif.cbf6a4e99f36be4137d08eee3c6d3139.gif

3. Shining Armor the Unicorn. Especially during his adorable moments. Heck with Cadance's permission, U. Will lost his virginity to him!

4. Zephyr Breeze the Pegasus. You heard right. He may have been a jerk early on, but as the Episode goes on, he actually became relatable to me. His episode, his character, his song, is all so identifiable that it gave me hope and motivation to finally finish college within the past year!

5. Big Mac the Earth Pony! Strong, silent and Red! My favorite color!

commission___big_mac_by_sophiecabra-d6yntuo.png.05b5e0a431c34cc63118c02099a223eb.png

Art by SpainFischer

I'm gonna say it's because he comes across as total camp gay.

Then again I like making every single pony queer as all get out in my headcanon(so many lesbians) so I'm probably not the best judge of what the fandom does.

3 hours ago, Queen Cassie said:

I'm gonna say it's because he comes across as total camp gay.

Then again I like making every single pony queer as all get out in my headcanon(so many lesbians) so I'm probably not the best judge of what the fandom does.

And yet there is the occasional or frequent art where DD gets paired with Party Favor or Braeburn.

7 hours ago, HorsesandMOARGaloar said:

And yet there is the occasional or frequent art where DD gets paired with Party Favor or Braeburn.

I think you failed to comprehend what I said. Queer is a much broader umbrella than just lesbians. I just mentioned lesbians because it's the most common way I make ponies queer. Second most common is making them trans! :D

As far as this fandom is concerned, it sometimes seems like everypony is gay, and straight ponies are a rare breed. So, it doesn't shock me that there's a lot of Gay Double Diamond, there's also quite a lot of gay Big Mac, Braeburn, Soarin, and...basically every other stallion. But a lot of those other characters have been around a lot longer, and played more of a role, so they've probably accumulated a higher number of popular ships, which would also include more straight ones.

I've seen a few fans of Double DiamondXTwilight, so it's not like all his shipping is with stallions.

• Brohoof 1

Is it... because of his scarf? I don't think his character seems gay at all, but I've heard people poke fun at the concept of men who wear scarves before. Totally ridiculous, but people will be people I guess.

• Brohoof 1

Probably cuteness, his mannerisms can come across as gay, and the oh so pleasant mlp r34 community has made literally every male character gay-ish at somepoint.

On 2017-8-8 at 4:05 PM, Rawzy said:

Probably because of his gayboy mane style? I dunno xD

Hey if I like male ponies, am I gay? lol

No, you're merely an advanced heterosexual.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 10:26 AM, HorsesandMOARGaloar said:

In other words, "Soarin is actually bisexual".

um... no? considering Dashie and I are female? (for the last time, Im a girl irl!) that would make me want him to be straight