Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pet Project and Subs Rock shorts

KH7672

5 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Considering they are owned by Hasbro, you would think they wouldn't make such inconsistences as this. 

I assumed they did it on purpose, the other shorts were filled with callbacks, this was probably just another one.

twilight being different than pony Twilight is one of the things I like MOST about this series.
Honestly, I wish ALL the characters would act different from their pony selves; its boring and predictable when they're just cardboard cutouts of their pony selves. By having them act differently it helps to shake things up a bit in dynamics-- For example, Twilight's personality being different allows Sunset to work as a leader and twilight to at as the smart guy of the group instead, compared to pony twilight's leader role.

Sadly, at this point they've solidified the other 5 a bit too much to do too much changes :(

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

twilight being different than pony Twilight is one of the things I like MOST about this series.
Honestly, I wish ALL the characters would act different from their pony selves; its boring and predictable when they're just cardboard cutouts of their pony selves. By having them act differently it helps to shake things up a bit in dynamics-- For example, Twilight's personality being different allows Sunset to work as a leader and twilight to at as the smart guy of the group instead, compared to pony twilight's leader role.

Sadly, at this point they've solidified the other 5 a bit too much to do too much changes :(

Yeah, I've liked the difference in Twilight, and Rainbow's a little different in that she loves to play guitar, but AJ and Flutters are pretty similar. Pinkie is... I think the different body lends itself to different look of humor for a character so physically humorous. The style hasn't really changed but the feel of it has.

8 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I would actually argue that EQG could have a better version of Applejack than FiM.

Unlike how pony Applejack is pretty much exactly where she wants to be in life, and thus has no reason to grow or change as a person, which is pretty evident in the seven seasons of the show so far, human AJ doesn't have that limitation.  Given how she is still in high school she can actually be given storylines like whether or not she wants to go to college or not or to stay on the family farm, whenever the series finally gets to addressing graduation. Plus we could have constantly dealing with magical shenanigans could also help pull her life in multiple directions and make her decision on what she wants to do with it more challenging.

I legitimately see more potential with the human version of Applejack than her pony counterpart at this point in time.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Yeah, but that was my point. Princess Twilight had a different childhood as the personal student of Celestia, it makes sense that even after making friends she would still be timid in comparison. I even feel like her freak out over Midnight Sparkle is the most real freak out either Twilight has had... well except maybe the yaks. 

All of that does make SciTwi feel different from the Princess we know and love, but I feel like that was the point, And it makes me wonder how those differences effect other characters.

I know a lot of people like it, but to me it sort of goes against the "familiar characters in an unfamiliar situation" thing which I thought was the point of Equestria Girls and which I'd like to see the series double down on. Although it doesn't help that I had a difficult time sympathizing with the Midnight Sparkle thing (I really didn't like "Legend of Everfree"). 

11 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I don't feel like Equestria Girls does the high school shenanigans or the magical girl questing especially well, so I think making it more different from the show would make it feel less distinct. I don't necessarily disagree that the character interactions are kinda predictable, but I feel that's because it doesn't put enough emphasis on the differences between the universes. That's probably the high school setting's fault; if this series took place in college, a good number of its issues would have been ironed out. 

47 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I know a lot of people like it, but to me it sort of goes against the "familiar characters in an unfamiliar situation" thing which I thought was the point of Equestria Girls and which I'd like to see the series double down on. Although it doesn't help that I had a difficult time sympathizing with the Midnight Sparkle thing (I really didn't like "Legend of Everfree"). 

I don't feel like Equestria Girls does the high school shenanigans or the magical girl questing especially well, so I think making it more different from the show would make it feel less distinct. I don't necessarily disagree that the character interactions are kinda predictable, but I feel that's because it doesn't put enough emphasis on the differences between the universes. That's probably the high school setting's fault; if this series took place in college, a good number of its issues would have been ironed out. 

I agree, it would also make the human characters more equal in ages to their equestrian counterparts.

1 hour ago, Skytower said:

I agree, it would also make the human characters more equal in ages to their equestrian counterparts.

Alas, the family-friendly humour would probably be distractingly out-of-place in a college setting. 

6 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I would actually argue that EQG could have a better version of Applejack than FiM.

Unlike how pony Applejack is pretty much exactly where she wants to be in life, and thus has no reason to grow or change as a person, which is pretty evident in the seven seasons of the show so far, human AJ doesn't have that limitation.  Given how she is still in high school she can actually be given storylines like whether or not she wants to go to college or not or to stay on the family farm, whenever the series finally gets to addressing graduation. Plus we could have constantly dealing with magical shenanigans could also help pull her life in multiple directions and make her decision on what she wants to do with it more challenging.

I legitimately see more potential with the human version of Applejack than her pony counterpart at this point in time.

This is more due to not having the burden of the "I learned that my destiny in life is to stay at home" bit from the Cutie mark chronicles :P

She hasn't really shown any more potential, she just lacks the anchor that Pony AJ does, since it would be a retcon to give her ambition now.

3 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Alas, the family-friendly humour would probably be distractingly out-of-place in a college setting. 

I think that would depend upon the writing.

• 6 years later...
On 2017-08-06 at 3:03 PM, Toon4Thought said:

Honestly, of all the things in EqG that have managed to win my interest over time, puppy!Spike is one of few things that I actually become less interested in. His position just kind of prevents him from filling the "supporter" role his Equestrian counterpart does, and apart from the climax of "Friendship Games" I can't even see much they could do with him. His part seems to have been increasingly downplayed, and it's just as well really; every time he appeared in the specials, my reaction was little more than "Oh yeah, he's a thing". He doesn't even have the intrigue that I get out of watching the ponies' personalities play out as modern-day humans.

They really did not think this through when they reduced him to a dog

• Brohoof 1