Pop, Soda, Coke...  

66 users have voted

1. 1. What do you call it?

• Soda
    • Pop
    • Coke
    • Soft drink
    • Other

Soda. Calling it pop or soft drink is fine, but Coke really makes no sense. Coke is a brand, and it doesn't cover all types of soda.

• Brohoof 6

I grew up and still reside in northern Illinois. I don't believe that I have ever heard anyone here refer to it as anything aside from "soda" or "pop".

It's almost always soda to me too.  If it's Coke or a generic cola, I will call it Coke.  Unless it's Pepsi which I exclusively refer to as Pepsi.  Nobody I know of uses the term pop in my neck of the woods.  

• Brohoof 2

Soda = Generic definition of any sugar drinks, such as Pepsi, Fanta, etc.

Pop = Slang for soda.

Coke = WHYY??? Coke is a specific brand. it's called "Coke", which makes no sense. It's Coca-Cola Company, not Coca-Coke Company. Get your shit straight, America. If you call sodas for "Coke" you are the cause of a baby sloth dying. Fuck you.

Now that I think about it.. Fuck sloths, too. From an evolution perspective, this retarded species shouldn't even be alive in the first place. They are so slow they sometimes think they THEMSELVES are a branch, grab themselves, and fall to their own death. If there is such a thing as a God, he's got a good sense of humor.

• Brohoof 3

I just call it soda, no other names, except when I want to be specific, then I say the brand name.

10 hours ago, Yakamaru said:

Coke = WHYY??? Coke is a specific brand. it's called "Coke", which makes no sense. It's Coca-Cola Company, not Coca-Coke Company. Get your shit straight, America. If you call sodas for "Coke" you are the cause of a baby sloth dying. Fuck you.

I believe the term 'Coke' originated as a southern U.S. slang "Coke-Cola", not Coca-Coke.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Wingnut said:

It's almost always soda to me too.  If it's Coke or a generic cola, I will call it Coke.  Unless it's Pepsi which I exclusively refer to as Pepsi.  Nobody I know of uses the term pop in my neck of the woods.  

Agreed. Even the Mid-Atlantic old timers (our parents and grandparents gen) referred to it more often as soda too, and that was the generation that referred to K-Mart as the 'Five and Dime'. I would suspect if they had an old slang term for it they would likely use it. 

• Brohoof 1

I answered Other because of my great grandparents(whom I miss very very much). They were both born in 1910 and 1913 and they died in 2009 and 2006. I miss them very much. Anyways, they called any drink with sugar in it "Elixir". Why you ask? Well many sugary drinks started out as a medicine or aliment to such diseases and they didn't have any sugar in them at all. An example would be Coca-Cola which was invented in 1886 and it had real cocaine in it(hence the name "coca" cola). The inventor John Pemberton, who was a pharmacist invented it to battle his morphine addiction. He died in 1891 unfortunately and a man named Asa Griggs Candler took the business over to save it and he sold the drink as a drug to cure many many things including low sexual libido. It wasn't until 1898 in a court case that Coca-cola was forced to no longer be sold as a drug due to it being proven to cure nothing and instead it made its buyers become addicted to the drink due to the cocaine in it. In 1903 Cocaine was removed from the drink. And ever since then Coca-Cola has been sold as a beverage. And for the old folks they called it Elixor. Not pop or soda or drink or stuff like that. I call it Elixir too lol

Anyways from all of that and my Coca-Cola facts, that's why my great grandparents called every sugary drink "elixir". They also called the refrigerator an "icebox" because refrigerators didn't have compressors until 1916. Before that, they were cooled using ice blocks. Ever heard of the word "iceman"? Those were the guys that took the ice upstairs to the refrigerators to cool them. My great grandpa was actually an iceman when he was alive and I have his ice tongs. I miss them.

Anyways, that's why I chose "other". Elixir is what I call sugary drinks lol and that's why. lol

Edited by The Equestrian Brony