shows that went downhill

kingfan

has mlp gone through seasonal rot   

25 users have voted

1. 1. has the show gone downhill over the years

• yes yes it has
    • no its not
    • it stayed the same

The Simpsons. There's so much to love about the show back in the day with its cleaver writing, fun charecters and impactful morals. Now it's just loud, obnoxious and just plain offensive as it heavily relies on celebrity guests and hot topic trends.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

The Simpsons. There's so much to love about the show back in the day with its cleaver writing, fun charecters and impactful morals. Now it's just loud, obnoxious and just plain offensive as it heavily relies on celebrity guests and hot topic trends.

I totally agree.

• Brohoof 1

Family Guy.

Trey Parker pretty much ruined the show. It is very bland and boring now.

Edited by Guest

SpongeBob. Post-Movie it became garbage with a rare decent episode.

Simpsons. Started going downhill sometime around Season 9, but only recently got to the point of unwatchable recently.

Fairly Oddparents. I think it was ruined even before Chloe. I think Poof really did it for me.

• Brohoof 1

LOST was a great show and I was seriously addicted to it back in the day, but the writers were so busy setting up cool story lines that they never thought of how to wrap them up, so they just left a lot of stuff hanging, unresolved and unaddressed. Not the way to end a show like that. :pout:

-Ponies: Well, I consider that S6 was the seasonal rot so far. Not that it became unwatchable, but it was clearly a step back

-Pokemon: During the Hoenn region, it quickly became stale and boring

-Fairly Odd Parents: Most think Chloe ruined the show, but it actually happened before. If Poof didn't ruined it, it was definitely the fairy dog who did it

-Spongebob: Post movie sucks

-Tom & Jerry: I don't like the episodes at the hands of Chuck Jones. I think it was during the 60s :huh: 

• Brohoof 1

Besides the obvious ones everyone keeps saying. I'll be the odd man out and say DBZ. The ending of the Cell Saga felt like the perfect ending and then the Buu saga comes in and shits on a lot of the progress the series made up to that point

• Brohoof 1

SpongeBob SquarePants - I personally think it's been getting better again since Sponge Out of Water and I'm actually looking forward to new episodes again, but before that, the humor wasn't that funny in my opinion and I wasn't really enjoying the characters that much.

The Fairly OddParents - I don't think new characters ruined it (I actually kinda like Chloe). I thought the humor was bad, I didn't like a lot of the characters (something it likes (Liked? I'm not sure if the show is over or not.) to do now is use Crocker and Timmy's dad a lot, which I really don't think helps), and I didn't like the writing either. I've noticed a lot of people say the show went downhill with the additions of characters like Sparky and Chloe. I don't know if they mean they were the reasons the show got bad or if they're just using their introductions as points to when it started getting bad (to be honest, I wouldn't disagree with the latter), but I really don't think the show would be much better without them.

Johnny Test - I actually liked the first 3 seasons. But after that, I didn't really like the characters and some of the jokes were a bit repetitive.

Rugrats - I don't think it was hit by seasonal rot as bad as the other shows I've mentioned so far, but I do think it was past it's best days towards the end. I know there are people that would like for the show to be revived, but I really don't think it needs that.

Dexter's Laboratory - It was initially going to end after season 2 and the TV movie Ego Trip, but Cartoon Network revived it because it was still popular in reruns. Wendy Tartakovsky couldn't be show runner because he was working on Samurai Jack, so he was replaced by Chris Savino. I don't really mind watching most of his episodes and there are some I liked, but overall, I don't get as much enjoyment out of them as I do with the first 2 seasons.

The Powerpuff Girls - Not the reboot. The original. I don't think the last 2 seasons were bad and there are quite a few episodes I liked, but I do think that overall, the show was past it's best days. Like Dexter's Lab, the creator stepped down as showrunner to work on another show and was replaced by Chris Savino. I do think he was better on PPG than he was on Dexter's Lab.

Tom and Jerry - I don't really like Gene Deitch's shorts. I find them to be boring for the most part. However, I do like Chuck Jones' shorts.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 1

Pokemon. All of my friends say so, too. They said that it started going down during the 3rd generation, I say 4th, but either way, now it's the 7th generation, and I can't stand it anymore DX

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Dexter's Laboratory - It was initially going to end after season 2 and the TV movie Ego Trip, but Cartoon Network revived it because it was still popular in reruns. Wendy Tartakovsky couldn't be show runner because he was working on Samurai Jack, so he was replaced by Chris Savino. I don't really mind watching most of his episodes and there are some I liked, but overall, I don't get as much enjoyment out of them as I do with the first 2 seasons.

I liked the first season the most. The first few episodes (animated at Fil-Cartoons before they switched to Rough Draft) had the best designs and animation. The second half of the first season and the second season were really funny, but the visual style was not as appealing as the first ones (it fluctuated a lot later in the run). I found the third season somewhat enjoyable but it was no match for the first two. Some of the episodes were still funny but others were either disappointing, or in rare cases, absolutely awful ("A Third Dad Cartoon" is one of the worst episodes I have seen of any show). Candi Milo as Dexter wasn't that good, either. She's a great voice actress, but couldn't bring the character to life in the same way as Christine Cavanaugh. The fourth season was great, I thought it was a return to form after the mediocre third season.

32 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Tom and Jerry - I don't really like Gene Deitch's shorts. I find them to be boring for the most part. However, I do like Chuck Jones' shorts.

I agree completely. I heard that Gene Deitch actually hated Tom and Jerry, which I think shows in the cartoons. The bad animation, the weird sound effects and the insane cruelty ruin Deitch's cartoons for me. There were a couple of good ones (I liked "The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit" and "Tall in the Trap") but most of them ranged from mediocre to bad (the most obnoxious being "Dicky Moe" and "Landing Stripling"). The Jones ones are great, I prefer them to many of the later Hanna-Barbera-directed ones.

31 minutes ago, hopkey123 said:

Pokemon. All of my friends say so, too. They said that it started going down during the 3rd generation, I say 4th, but either way, now it's the 7th generation, and I can't stand it anymore DX

I lost interest during the Johto League Champions episodes. Mostly due to my interest in Pokémon fading in general, but also for other reasons. The running gag of Wobbuffet popping up got old really quickly, even if it was somewhat funny at first (though I now know this joke was funnier in the original Japanese version). Pokémon was a fairly formulaic show in general, and adding more repeated elements didn't help at all.

Another thing I didn't like was that the Finnish dub kept changing voice actors a lot later in the run, which was really jarring even as a kid. A common problem with dubs, I know, and not something for which you can blame the show itself, but still annoying.

• Brohoof 2

15 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Rugrats - I don't think it was hit by seasonal rot as bad as the other shows I've mentioned so far, but I do think it was past it's best days towards the end. I know there are people that would like for the show to be revived, but I really don't think it needs that.

Recently rewatched this. I used to adore this show as a kid, both new and old episodes. And while the post S3 episodes aren't bad, they don't hold up very well as opposed to the first 3 seasons which aged like fine wine

Rugrats In Paris is still great though, easily one of the best things to come out of the series

Edited by Whompy Whomperson

South Park, the show went downhill after season 18 when they introduced the linear, episode-to-episode continuity. Now the entire season feels like a single episode that has been ridiculously stretched... It's really boring. The pace is too slow while the jokes get old really fast :/

• Brohoof 1

I still enjoy Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (the violence toward dogs aside, that really needs to stop), but I really feel like the series took a drastic change with Stardust Crusaders and beyond and I do not find it to be exceptional like the arcs in the 2012 series. Basically SC turned a wild, unpredictable series into a very cliche format. The individual "arcs" are still wild and very JJBA-like, but the overarching plot became predictable and the "arcs" are now confined to one or two episode "arcs" which gives off that "Episodic but still with an overarching story" idea which I do not much care for in anime. I don't like a series to be so heavily segmented. It just isn't natural. I think Part IV was a little better than SC because this method worked quite a bit better with the setting, but Stardust Crusaders was an adventure, much like the 2012 series, just... well, you know.

I also don't like how the series stopped being adventurous. I loved all of the settings it was covering that you don't usually get to see in anime, but now it's all set in Japan. Not so interesting anymore in that regard.

Futurama, I really feel like when it returned it lost a lot of its nuance and humor. Instances of the shock humor you find in Family Guy and American Dad were now more commonplace, which I was really disgusted by. And overall aside from just not being as funny anymore (which I think the original Futurama is one of the funniest shows around), the humor became really, really, really cringeworthy at times. Like that episode where Leela got a boil and it was called "Susan Boil". Ugh. A lot of the episodes are still fine, but sadly lacking in the humor department.

I definitely feel like Fairy Tail really got worse with time. However, I'm more critical of what I watch now than I was back when I watched the first Fairy Tail series, so I don't know if the the first series was equally full of forced emotion, deus ex machinas (feeling very forced in that regard, too), etc.

Doctor Who isn't quite as good as it used to be either. I feel like it was just so good when David Tennant was the Doctor. I enjoyed Capaldi as a Doctor, but the writing was strange (and it also feels like the series has really taken a horror direction more often which I don't really care for. With Tennant as the Doctor there were horror survival episodes, but not as many as you see now, besides Tennant's horror episodes were truthfully terrifying, now they're just like "eh"). I really hope with a new director we'll see a better Doctor Who series with the 13th Doctor. *crosses fingers*

On 8/9/2017 at 11:14 PM, Whompy Whomperson said:

Besides the obvious ones everyone keeps saying. I'll be the odd man out and say DBZ. The ending of the Cell Saga felt like the perfect ending and then the Buu saga comes in and shits on a lot of the progress the series made up to that point

And I actually feel like the point should be set with the conclusion of the Namek saga. It feels like everything in the Z point of the series had led up to that end. Everything afterward just feels disconnected. Even worse, I feel like Toriyama wrote himself into a corner with the Super Saiyan plotline. During the Namek saga it was a super rare transformation that was supposed to be reached once every one thousand years. Goku was "the one" so to speak. That was the way it was supposed to be. It's not really fair to the other hard-working Saiyans like Vegeta, but the Android/Cell arcs featuring not only Vegeta and Gohan reaching the level but exceeding it just really devalued what made it so great to begin with.

I really like the gradual character development with Vegeta and I particularly liked the conclusions in Buu saga. But aside from that, I know I have to - for the most part - turn my brain off to enjoy anything Dragon Ball past the Namek saga.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

The Simpsons - I still enjoy it, but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be in the 90's 

South Park - These days the show just relys way too much on topical humor. Yes, they've always had topical humor, but back in the early days there was more ballance between topical humor and original stories. 

On 8/14/2017 at 11:06 AM, Envy said:

And I actually feel like the point should be set with the conclusion of the Namek saga. It feels like everything in the Z point of the series had led up to that end. Everything afterward just feels disconnected. Even worse, I feel like Toriyama wrote himself into a corner with the Super Saiyan plotline. During the Namek saga it was a super rare transformation that was supposed to be reached once every one thousand years. Goku was "the one" so to speak. That was the way it was supposed to be. It's not really fair to the other hard-working Saiyans like Vegeta, but the Android/Cell arcs featuring not only Vegeta and Gohan reaching the level but exceeding it just really devalued what made it so great to begin with.

I really like the gradual character development with Vegeta and I particularly liked the conclusions in Buu saga. But aside from that, I know I have to - for the most part - turn my brain off to enjoy anything Dragon Ball past the Namek saga.

I'm actually glad they didn't end it at Namek. The original end just felt like such a downer, everyone but Gohan dies, Goku fails to escape Namek. Seeing everything happening in the goofy Dragonball only to end the series on such a depressing note would honestly just sour the whole series imo. While I do agree everything else feels disconnected, at least with Cell things would have ended on a bittersweet, but much more satisfying conclusion. Goku dies saving the world, and passes the torch to his son, Vegeta redeems himself, everyone can finally settle down, Trunks saves the future. It just feels like a perfect ending. Until, you know, Buu happened

Honestly, as much as I liked to shit on GT, I loved the way it ended the series, much much much more better than whatever the hell Z had

WWE really took a nosedive after 2004, and kept getting worse and worse. Sure it's bumped back up at points but as it stands, WWE and it's shows are inconsistent slogs to watch, filled to the brim with more interviews, promos, backstage segments and advertising than actual wrestling. 

• Brohoof 1

On 8/14/2017 at 2:06 PM, Envy said:

Makes sense, as Toriyama was going to end the manga there. I think he still had something to give in the Android saga, but I felt like he didn't cared as much during the Buu saga. can't say much, I've watched them when I was a pre-teen, and moved on 

On 8/14/2017 at 6:14 AM, Merion said:

South Park, the show went downhill after season 18 when they introduced the linear, episode-to-episode continuity. Now the entire season feels like a single episode that has been ridiculously stretched... It's really boring. The pace is too slow while the jokes get old really fast :/

I agree, however supposedly Parker and Stone said that after trying that format for a while, they were sick of it. I think Trey's exact words were that the next season was going to toss all the political jokes and have more "kids being kids." I look forward to it, cautiously optimistic. I wish I could find that article again...

• Brohoof 1

Winx Club has gone downhill so much for me. I used to love it so much and I still do, up until season 3 and I find 4 pretty acceptable too. However, I stopped watching since season 5 because it became so incredbily cringy to me. The 2D to 3D switching is horrible and all the transformations after Believix are just all identical. It has become unbearable for me to watch it. Plus there is this whole World Of Winx sequel which I don't even want to give a try…