Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia and Luna's age

Pizzly

Well they're Alicorns, a royal race among the ponies. Age can be explained through the elements *I guess*, so I don't think the ponies think it's too weird :3

Ya but then there's Cadence, which just makes it even more confusing. She makes it questionable as to whether or not alicorns are inherently immortal, since she's likely a mortal since she married a normal mortal unicorn, I doubt she'd marry a mortal since he'd eventually wither and die and she'd be left to live forever in grief. It makes me question if Luna and Celestia are immortal because they're alicorns or something else.

Ya but then there's Cadence, which just makes it even more confusing. She makes it questionable as to whether or not alicorns are inherently immortal, since she's likely a mortal since she married a normal mortal unicorn, I doubt she'd marry a mortal since he'd eventually wither and die and she'd be left to live forever in grief. It makes me question if Luna and Celestia are immortal because they're alicorns or something else.

That's why the 'They got immortalized by the elements' idea works xP

(edited)

That's why the 'They got immortalized by the elements' idea works xP

Indeed, which also means Celestia and Luna are mortal now, and the mane 6 are immortal. They're gonna have to tell them at some point of this, so that they don't go getting into any relationships since it only end in grief. I can totally see them forming a council of 6 to rule equestria once the sisters have passed on.

Tho, you'd think celestia would've told them this by now......

Posted Image

Edited by Pegasus25
  • Brohoof 1

Indeed, which also means Celestia and Luna are mortal now, and the mane 6 are immortal. They're gonna have to tell them at some point of this, so that they don't go getting into any relationships since it only end in grief. I can totally see them forming a council of 6 to rule equestria once the sisters have passed on.

Tho, you'd think celestia would've told them this by now......

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

Here's my personal headcannon:

Celestia and Luna, just like the Mane 6, were not born as alicorns but as regular ponies (I place my bet on unicorns). They became immortal alicorns shortly after using the EOH on Discord. With their new powers they decided to take on the responsibility of the day and night from other unicorns.

As for how old they are, I would say at least 1100+. There would need to be enough time for Luna to start thinking the night as "hers", and then getting offended at everypony sleeping at dark. So at least a regular ponies lifetime before she went NMM. Luna was normal pony size after having NMM stripped from her, due to her lack of magic, which within a year returned fully to her, hence the star mane and bigger size. Either that or it's just a spell to make them look regal.

Now my theory on Cadence: since she (and Blueblood as well) are referred to being Celestias neice and nephew. They are the descendants of one of Lunas foals before she was banished. The children of Celestia and Luna are born alicorns, but they don't have the supercharged abilities of the 3 races and have a normal lifespan. Eventually over time they start becoming single-race, so Blueblood lost his alicorn-ness but Cadences line still has it. Celestia refers them as Prince and Princess, because they're descendants of the royals and Equestria doesn't have good royal terminology.

Now for the Mane 6. They can become an alicorn with this theory, and Celestia and Luna might start losing their powers due to their lack of connection to the EOH. New royalty coming soon to Equestria?

Posted Image

Tho, seriously, we know it wasn't Lauren's intention for Cadence to be an alicorn, so, I don't think this was her original idea. This would be one of the few ways to properly explain Celestia and Luna's apparent immortality, since apparently Lauren has said there's no deities in MLP so they can't be gods, which means they had to have gained their immortality unnaturally.

Here's my personal headcannon:

Celestia and Luna, just like the Mane 6, were not born as alicorns but as regular ponies (I place my bet on unicorns). They became immortal alicorns shortly after using the EOH on Discord. With their new powers they decided to take on the responsibility of the day and night from other unicorns.

As for how old they are, I would say at least 1100+. There would need to be enough time for Luna to start thinking the night as "hers", and then getting offended at everypony sleeping at dark. So at least a regular ponies lifetime before she went NMM. Luna was normal pony size after having NMM stripped from her, due to her lack of magic, which within a year returned fully to her, hence the star mane and bigger size. Either that or it's just a spell to make them look regal.

Now my theory on Cadence: since she (and Blueblood as well) are referred to being Celestias neice and nephew. They are the descendants of one of Lunas foals before she was banished. The children of Celestia and Luna are born alicorns, but they don't have the supercharged abilities of the 3 races and have a normal lifespan. Eventually over time they start becoming single-race, so Blueblood lost his alicorn-ness but Cadences line still has it. Celestia refers them as Prince and Princess, because they're descendants of the royals and Equestria doesn't have good royal terminology.

Plausable.

Now for the Mane 6. They can become an alicorn with this theory, and Celestia and Luna might start losing their powers due to their lack of connection to the EOH. New royalty coming soon to Equestria?

Ya I'm thinking the sisters will pass away due to losing their immortality via no longer being connected with the magical elements that granted them immortality in the first place, and the mane 6 will take their place as immortal alicorn rulers of equestria.

There is one problem with the theory that Celestia and Luna will start/starged aging, now that the Mane 6 are the avatars of the EOH. If that were to be, wouldn't Luna not regain her power after losing it when becoming herself at the end of S1E2?

Long ago, the world was nothing more than an endless sea cloaked in a boundless sky, reaching as far as could possibly be imagined.

Then, two great titans came into existence: the Celestionis and the Lunonis.

The titans were locked in a timeless battle.

Until at last, only their lifeless corpses remained.

Eons have passed. Now, our world, this vast land stretching across the remains of the Celestionis, is under attack from a relentless force known as the Lunon.

That explains it.

I mean, since they operate the sun and moon, and the sun and moon are pretty much required for life, since how do you see without the sun? And that's ignoring the other reasons a world needs a sun, but I don't expect a cartoon to go in-depth on the more technical issues. My guess, unless they explain otherwise, is that they would be as old as the world itself. Though that wouldn't explain Luna being Celestia's younger sister if that were the case...

Easy-way-out explanation time: It's a cartoon. :P

I'm thinking 2000 years old.... and Luna maybe about 4 years younger.

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised that so many people have guessed that Luna is as much as hundreds of years younger than Celestia; I always envisioned her as just a couple years younger than her, no more than 5 years younger than her. As for their ages in question, I'd wager that they might be roughly 1200-1500 years old, since they seem to have still been fairly young when they defeated Discord and also when the Nightmare Moon incident occurred.

From what we know...Celestia is probably at least 1500 years old and Luna is maybe a few years younger then that. I just don't really question it. If they want us to know, they will confirm actual ages at some point.

• 2 years later...

From the Journal, HWE and other media, I think we can safely have Celestia and Luna somewhere between 1000 to 2000 years old in our current MLP setting.

The journal starts them off as very young without CM, however they explain that they are far older then they look (more or less think Elf aging for them) and they still don’t have their CM. We can also possibly take from this langue that there may be more of their born kind somewhere, though where they are is a mystery. That being said I think the 1300 - 1500 mark is most likely about right since it gives the ambiguous 1000 years ago with an additional hundred or so year for the girls to grow and mature into the mares they did.

But don't they get their cutie marks as fillies like everypony else? They had their cutie marks for about 1500 years at least if they were 2000 years old. They had their cutie marks when they turned discord to stone (which was over 1000 years before Nightmare Moon's return), turned King Sombra to shadow (between Discord's inprisonment and Nightmare Moon's banishment). Since we don't know when Discord was turned to stone, we can't really find out their age. Discord stated that it was eons from when he last had fun, he could've meant before he was turned to ston or way before that.

But don't they get their cutie marks as fillies like everypony else? They had their cutie marks for about 1500 years at least if they were 2000 years old. They had their cutie marks when they turned discord to stone (which was over 1000 years before Nightmare Moon's return), turned King Sombra to shadow (between Discord's inprisonment and Nightmare Moon's banishment). Since we don't know when Discord was turned to stone, we can't really find out their age. Discord stated that it was eons from when he last had fun, he could've meant before he was turned to ston or way before that.

I haven't gotten my hooves on the journal yet, however the details that have been floating around the internet about their youth are thus:

Due to the fact that they are born alicorns, the age difference for the girls is quite a lot. They do get their marks as alicorn foals, however by normal pony standards they would be far to old to not have their marks.

Because of this we can make the assumption that at the very less alicorns such as Luna and Celestia youth before CM had to be much longer then that of normal ponies, so lets give them 100 years or so as foals and have them dealing with all that Tirek, Discord, Sombra and NM stuff for around 300 to 500 years or so, then toss on the thousand year banishment of NM and we then have current time period.

So basically they age slower than every pony else. Also that would mean they got their CM around 200 years old. Wouldn't that seem like a reasonable age for them to get their CM?

@ Flamingo:

From whats floating around internet wise somewhere between 100 to 200 maybe 300 the lastest. The book doesn't seem to say. Though again I haven't gotten my hooves on it, so I am only going from the information I could gather.

@ A.V.

As far as I know, the journal does not cover that topic. More or less the journal jumps around alot, however the major things it does cover are:

We learn there born alicorns and not turned ones, Celestia and Luna getting their CM, them being given the throne from Princess Plats and her fathers, who and how the moon and sun were raised and lowered and why they ended up with the job. And them being groomed under star swirl.

There's a lot of other stuff but that's the major stuff pertaining to them from what has been leaked so far.

• 1 year later...

Well Tia and Luna are not 1000 or 2000 because Luna was banished for 1000 years, and 1000 years before Sombra was turned into a shadow, and 1000 before that Discord was turned into a statue, and 6000 or 7000 years they were friends, and the war bitwen Alicorns and Draconicie ended, so around 9000 or 10,000, and 8995 or 9995 years old, because Tia was born first and 5 years later Luna was born, when the war started the ages were 10 and 5, when it ended they met Discord who was around there age so 10, 11, or 12.