Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Cartoon Network Not Celebrating 25th Anniversary?

Denim&Venöm

Come October 1st, Cartoon network will be celebrating it's silver anniversary. A quarter century of life. At some point in time, this channel was a part of all of our childhoods, from Looney Tunes to Steven Universe. 

Over the past few years however, the Network has taken a critical decline, essentially becoming a 5 show network. The Boomerang sister network appears to be an afterthought.  And from what I gather, there doesn't seem to be any moves to celebrate the networks storied lineage. No attempts to show re-runs of classics or old favorites. No attempts to fill it's air time with any variety other than Titans Go, Ben 10 and the PPG reboot. Not a single announcement or any trace of hype less than 2 months away. Unless it's being kept a big surprise, not even any classic graphics or bumpers to mark the occasion like they did for the 20th anniversary. 

I get that we're no longer the target demographic, those that watched during the 90's, 00's and recent decade. That even kids in their teens are outside the market range. That it's all part of a move to aid the transition to the streaming and on demand services. That this minimalist format targeting kids 12 and under is profitable, or it wouldn't still be in effect. 

But to mach on like past successes and a storied lineage never happened? To not try and honor a legacy? To not even make a quick buck off the nostalgia factor for such a milestone? To treat it as just another day at the office? It's truly baffling. 

What do you all think? 

Edited by Denim&Venom

I've watched a YouTube vid covering this topic. Seems that the general consensus is that Christina Miller is killing CN. Damn, I remember those days where it was hard to change the channel because there was some good shit 24/7, but now it's not only they are limiting themselves with a narrow demographic, but there's not much else to see. Damn, it reminds me of Nickelodeon being shitty Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob :dry:

Cartoon Network actually did a pretty good job celebrating it's 20th anniversary, so the fact that the network probably is going to do anything special for the 25 anniversary is pretty disappointing if you ask me.

To be honest, I wasn't really counting on them doing anything at least on the live feed given that they don't seem to air older shows much at all anymore. I am hoping they at least acknowledge it on social media, though. I don't know if this is them subtly celebrating their 25th birthday or not, but they have been adding older shows On Demand. They currently have the original Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans, Captain Planet (I know it wasn't actually a CN show, but I thought I'd mention it anyway), Dexter's Laboratory, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and Flapjack. Their app has also had movies such as the PPG movie, Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show, and Kids Next Door: Operation: Zero.

4 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

The Boomerang sister network appears to be an afterthought.

I wouldn't be surprised if that has anything to do with the streaming service, which pretty much does what the channel once aimed to do.

No attempts to show re-runs of classics or old favorites.

They actually just started airing Teen Titans reruns yesterday. It airs weekday mornings at 6 and 6:30. Don't know how long it will last, but it's something.

No attempts to fill it's air time with any variety other than Titans Go, Ben 10 and the PPG reboot.

They do air TTG and the Ben 10 reboot quite a bit, but the PPG reboot barely airs at all at this point. For a while now, it's only been on if it's a new episode (although Boomerang shows reruns regularly).

You know those "FIRE RUSSO!" chants whenever Vince Russo's involved with bad wrestling-matches?

Replace "RUSSO" with "MILLER," and that's Current!CN in a nutshell.

Edited by A.V.

Unless they fully acknowledge Megas XLR in their anniversary(and not with a small, bullshit barely recognizable pic in a collage), then I don't give a shit

• 1 month later...

Okay, today marks Cartoon Network's 25th birthday, and while they aren't doing as much as they did for their 20th birthday, they aren't ignoring it either. Today, they signed on with this (EDIT: They signed off with this as well):

There's also this bumper. I don't know if it's going to air on TV or not (though I wouldn't be surprised if it does today), but it was uploaded to an official Turner channel.

As for airing older shows, I don't know if this is related to their 25th birthday or not, but Teen Titans has gained more slots since this thread was last active (it must be doing pretty well to warrant that), and Billy and Mandy: Wrath of the Spider Queen is scheduled to air next Sunday at 4 P.M. (though that could change, so I wouldn't get too excited just yet).

Edited by PinkiePie97

• 5 years later...