Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is a video game purchase you regret and why?

Tazool

The Wii U port of Epic Mickey 2. It was a download, so I couldn't even trade it in for store credit at GameStop! That's $60 I am never getting back!

You're forced to use the GamePad to play as Mickey instead of pointing with a Wii Remote like how the first game worked fine as a Wii Exclusive!

In the cutscenes, the voices only come out of the left speakers, the sounds out of the right speakers only, and worse, playing back the cutscenes from the Extras menu only mutes the sound!

My advice: Stay with the original Wii version of EM2, since the first one was a Wii Exclusive to begin with! It may not be the best game, but at least it's better than this porting disaster!

Edited by WiiGuy2014

Ocarina of Time 3D. I bought this back in a time when my only spending money was my Christmas/Birthday money. I had gotten a 3DS and although I was enjoying Pokemon HG, I wanted a game actually made for the 3DS. Ocarina of Time was a longtime one of my favorite Zelda games and I was really looking forward to the remake of it.

...Problem was, that game was much closer to a remastered port than a remake. Although some models were redone and the textures were new, pretty much every single other detail of the game was left 100% the same. After having become familiar with remakes through the Pokemon series I had expectations. OOT3D was not up to par. It's great for people who are original OOT loyalists, because they basically got OOT again with slightly better graphics. But for $40 over a decade after the release of the original, that's just not right. They could have at least given us a redone OST. Instead it's the same old OST. Everything about that game is exactly the same. I felt so ripped off. Of course, not every remake can be like Pokemon, but they could have upgraded some mechanics/the physics, actually legitimately overhauled the environments instead of molding them 95% like the original, and, of course, remade the OST... but no. None of that happened.

Edited by Envy

Lifetime sub for Star Trek Online <-- Turned into a fucking Korean grinder. Fuck the $200 I spent on it

Fallout 4 <-- Meh as fuck story. Not worth the $60 I spent on it. At all. At most worth $25-30

Alien Breed 2: Alien Assault <-- No. Just no

Elite:Dangerous <-- Minecraft in space. Only play it when you are bored out of your skull and want a sandbox to play in. Shooting some dumb NPC's

Universe at War: Earth Assault <-- Meh at best

Stellar Impact <-- Decent and interesting concept and mechanics. Dead community though

RAW - Realms of Ancient War <-- Magic game with no summoner classes. What the fuck? Boring as hell gameplay

World of Warcraft and its expansions <-- Monthly sub + having to pay for expansions as well? Fuck no. I spent over $200 on this fucking game, including subs, whom my cousin and friends got me into. They quit after a month. Every. Fucking. Time. Marksman Hunter is still fun as hell though

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive <-- "Cyka Blyat, Rush B". "Nidi nahui, American fuck". "Kurwa". "Autosniper noob" <-- Still best weapon. Eat SG 553 2.0, you trash!

Planetary Annihilation <-- What a waste of money that could otherwise go to a couple plates with delicous DEAD ANIMALS. In hot sauce. And with salad.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Yakamaru said:

Elite:Dangerous

Hey! Don't diss Elite :P It's improved over the last few months, and now has a decent level of things to do. Exploring in a space sandbox :) Is always fun when you turn the Radio on!

I'm not really in the habit of buying things I might regret. I know full well what I will and won't enjoy.

That said there was a collector's edition for Growlanser Generations I kinda regretted buying at the time simply because I had already bought and beat the game a month before. Buying games twice isn't something I enjoy doing. I was being kind of a fanboy though. That series is among the best games I've played in many years.

9 hours ago, Annie said:

Overwatch, because I couldn't find a single moment of enjoyment in it after a good 1 or 2 hundred hours

Good god. I can't even play games I like for more than eighty hours. Why would you play a game you didn't like for ten hours, let alone two hundred. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Discordian said:

I'm not really in the habit of buying things I might regret. I know full well what I will and won't enjoy.

That said there was a collector's edition for Growlanser Generations I kinda regretted buying at the time simply because I had already bought and beat the game a month before. Buying games twice isn't something I enjoy doing. I was being kind of a fanboy though. That series is among the best games I've played in many years.

Good god. I can't even play games I like for more than eighty hours. Why would you play a game you didn't like for ten hours, let alone two hundred. :lol:

Good multiplayer games have at least a few hundred hours of replay value, I've spent ~500 over every CoD title, ~2000 on TF2, and over 10k on Runescape.

Two Pokemon Hacks I bought for my Gameboy Advance. Pokemon Dark Cry Version and Pokemon Quartz Version. What a waste of my money. I got gipped and sadly during the time being, I didn't know what Pokemon was truly thanks to these Soul-Sucking Hacks.

16 minutes ago, Annie said:

Good multiplayer games have at least a few hundred hours of replay value, I've spent ~500 over every CoD title, ~2000 on TF2, and over 10k on Runescape.

Presumably this wasn't even a good game. Why waste so much time on it?

I don't really get playing games for that long though. My interest always fades eventually. There's too many new games out there to play one for such a long time.

32 minutes ago, Discordian said:

Presumably this wasn't even a good game. Why waste so much time on it?

I don't really get playing games for that long though. My interest always fades eventually. There's too many new games out there to play one for such a long time.

usually it's either because a friend wanted to play with me or i just wanted to kill boredom and had nothing better to do

200 hours isn't much to spend on a game when i've owned it for over a year, i spent 200 hours playing fallout new vegas over the period of like a month

1 minute ago, Annie said:

usually it's either because a friend wanted to play with me or i just wanted to kill boredom and had nothing better to do

200 hours isn't much to spend on a game when i've owned it for over a year, i spent 200 hours playing fallout new vegas over the period of like a month

Meanwhile I beat New Vegas just short of 50 hours and will probably never play it again.

How dare you have different gaming habits than me. :P

Obligatory jk in case that last line is taken seriously.

6 hours ago, Frozen The Unicorn said:

Hey! Don't diss Elite :P It's improved over the last few months, and now has a decent level of things to do. Exploring in a space sandbox :) Is always fun when you turn the Radio on!

I am not dissing Elite. I find the purchase pointless. It's kinda just Minecraft in space. A sandbox. And you get bored fast after a couple hours at most. Although flying around fucking people's day over in my Python is always fun.. <3

Edited by Yakamaru

I bought Halo 5 to play with a couple of my friends... I didn't think anything of it, Halo has always been a childhood favorite of mine. Watching my cousins play the first Halo, playing split screen campaign on Halo 2, 3, and ODST with my friend, and playing the campaign of Reach with a few Xbox Live friends. I had many fond memories, so buying Halo 5 and playing with my friends seemed like a good idea... I was wrong. I played one game, and I said "what the hell did they do to Halo?". I then uninstalled the game, and it sits in my library of ready to install games to this day. It was a huge waste of $60.

Another one that still hurts my wallet thinking about... Elder Scrolls Online. It seemed like such a great game to play with my friends who were also Elder Scrolls fans. So I not only bought my game, I bought them copies of the game as well costing me almost my entire paycheck. We played it for a few days, and then it got stale quickly. It lacked all fun any Elder Scrolls game had and just felt like a generic MMORPG.

Adventure Time Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know was really disappointing compared to the first Adventure Time game for the 3DS and as a whole was just really really boring and not worth your time.

Pokemon Battle Revolution for the Wii.

Just a lose-lose purchase: No DS and Diamond/Pearl alongside it? You're stuck with a barebones chore devoid of any sort of customization, features, nonlinearity, etc. You do have a DS and Diamond/Pearl alongside it? You were better off saving your money and just playing that much-better game anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Star Trek Online. When it came out I paid like $50 for the game with 1 month subscription, and I was even supposed to get a special character to go with my purchase. Their servers were not stable for pretty much the entire month I had to try it, so I never really got to try. It should wouldn't even load the first area. I gave up, and the icing on the cake is a couple years later they went free to play.

Never did get that free character...

Battlefield 1: People who diss CoD in BF's favor (why you would compare the two games at all as if they were any similiar is beyond me anyway) usually make it sound how it's all about 32 players divided in small squads harmoniously working together to best their opponents. In reality it's 32 people rushing to get as many kills and points as possible untill they get sniped across the very open map or blown up by a tank they can't fight back. I found it borderline impossible to play that game properly without using smoke grenades, which no one else apparently seems to run. I simply did not enjoy that game.

DayZ: I was peer pressured by my friends into buying it and it honestly looked cool. Later found out it was an absolute mess that would have been boring even if it was anywhere near completion. The fact that it's still in alpha several years after I bought it should say a lot.

Heroes of Newerh: Before League and Dota2 were a thing, the only proper moba (aside from the original DotA) was Heroes of Newerth. Even though it was a pioneer of what would later become the most played genre on PC, the game was incredibly uninteresting and the community extremely toxic, even by MOBA standards. Then DotA2 and League became a thing and they were free (HoN wasn't back then).

Overwatch: Although I'm not sure I regret its purchase, as I had an absolute blast playing it at first, I wanted it to become my main game so bad. Later on, balance patches proved to be absolute bull that led to the most uninspiring metas, which even low rank public matches wanted to replicate ("Pls let's do triple tank I saw it on youtube its op"). I quit for good after the Anniversary event (which was a clear attempt at making people buy as many lootboxes as humanly possible) and never looked back.

I haven't bought a disappointing game, but the most disappointing game I have played is the Coraline game for the DS.  After being one of my favorite books and movies, I only remember being confused by the game (The last time I played it was years ago.).

Fossil Fighters Frontier for the 3DS.

Fossil Fighters Freaking Frontier.

I had enjoyed Fossil Fighters Champions and only had heard good things about the original Fossil Fighters.  So I had high expectations when I bought Frontier last year and I completely regret it.  I was met with the world's corniest song at the beginning and I think the worst part is that's actually the highlight of the game.  The story is fine, even if it's clearly aimed at children.  But the battles are boring, and traveling through the areas in your vehicle is tedious at best.  The controls for the vehicle are wonky (though that might just be my ineptitude at driving in-game vehicles speaking) and there are dinosaurs roaming around in the overworld which makes it even more tedious as they want to fight you.  They can even initiate a battle with you even when you are digging up fossils and make you completely lose that attempt.  Sorry, but I would rather have random people fight me for my fossils back at Champions because at least I can take my fossils back to the lab after that, where there are no dinosaurs trolling you while you're cleaning the fossil.

If you're looking to play a Fossil Fighters game, I recommend the original and Champions and for you to stay away from this trash.

Edited by 7GrandDad

Heroes VI - great art style and graphics ruined by annoying gameplay and the worst AI Heroes of Might and Magic has ever seen. Entire strategic element is gone and replaced by constant rush, because AI always has advantage over You to balance its stupidity and irrational movement. 

Assassin's Creed 3 - simply, because main protagonist is boring, incredibly naive and annoying overall. Also I HATE controls, by simplifying them they made them worse than ever before. 

Dragon Age II - lazy game that is a disgrace to a studio like Bioware. Not a terrible one, but definitely not worth the full price. 

But I can feel proud that after those 3 titles no game developer scammed me. Not buying preorders and waiting for opinions is the best decision I've made with buying games.