Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What made you stop liking video games?

SunshineFlow

I was perfectly fine with it. Before i played Final Fantasy 1,2 and 3. Those 3 games literally killed my joy for video games.

Not 7 for example, or 4 or any other.

Basically i would play games such as Rayman 1, and all i would think about is Final Fantasy 1,2 and 3.I could never get anything done. I was just addicted mentally, even when trying a different game. I was thinking about trying some other game in my teenage years such as Getaway: black monday, need for speed underground 2 on PS2. But not working, i would just be thinking about FF1,2 and 3. I just couldn't get it out of my head. Its not that its boring, it just consumed and took so much out of me and my life so i just can't stand playing video games for fun anymore.

I dunno, but what do you think?

Edited by SunshineFlow

I never enjoyed playing video games to begin with so there wasn't any one reason for me to leave them in the dust. They make me frustrated, angry and feeling empty because I'm not good at them and often feel I've wasted valuable time doing something that gives me no pleasure, especially when I could have used the time for something more productive. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I never enjoyed playing video games to begin with so there wasn't any one reason for me to leave them in the dust. They make me frustrated, angry and feeling empty because I'm not good at them and often feel I've wasted valuable time doing something that gives me no pleasure, especially when I could have used the time for something more productive. 

Its sort of the same as watching TV. Though maybe a tad bit more unsocial or time consuming hours on it. But i do agree that in terms of other hobbies i could use my time on art or creating something for other people that will make them happy. But its not that i generally hate video games, i think its just the ones i played, which was fun but it was so addicting and i everytime i do anything i would just think about it everytime and now i just can't enjoy them anymore. It just put a bump in it in general for me. But i think its cool whatever makes people happy.

Edited by SunshineFlow

3 minutes ago, SunshineFlow said:

Its sort of the same as watching TV. Though maybe a tad bit more unsocial or time consuming hours on it. But i do agree that in terms of other hobbies i could use my time on art or creating something for other people that will make them happy. But its not that i generally hate video games, i think its just the ones i played, which was fun but it was so addicting and i everytime i do anything i would just think about it everytime and now i just can't enjoy them anymore. It just put a bump in it in general for me. But i think its cool whatever makes people happy.

I agree. TV can be unproductive but I still turn it on from time to time because I can just listen to it in the background while I do some kind of art or whatever. And it doesn't require hands, very much attention or any skill on my part to enjoy it. :please:

Some video games can be alright. I didn't mind Mario Party games as much as most. And there were a few quest games that were okay. My roommate likes to play survival horror and always drags me into it, so I guess that left a bad taste in the mouth for me. :pout:

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Really though the more you play the better you get. Start with games that fit you and work your way to games that are less familiar. If you ever wondered how gamers can pick up games and seemingly play them flawlessly it's because we've played so many games that all applicable skills are brought over from all the different games we've played.

We all started out dying to everything a game threw at us. Some started as kids, some as adults, but the general idea is to find the games you do like and are good at and build your skill level until you're good enough for other games.

The more games you play, the better you know how to handle situations that come up. If your frustrations come from lack of skill then you can get rid of it by building when you can.

And of course don't let people force you to play games you aren't ready for.

• Brohoof 4

Oooo. I was sick gamer in school.

I just got once that the most difficult and challenging game with the best graphics and biggest locations and multiplayer is the real life. Now I developing my character and performing quests every day truly enjoying game-play process. ^-^

gamer_luna__by_spittfireart-d65cqj0.png

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Discordian said:

Really though the more you play the better you get. Start with games that fit you and work your way to games that are less familiar. If you ever wondered how gamers can pick up games and seemingly play them flawlessly it's because we've played so many games that all applicable skills are brought over from all the different games we've played.

We all started out dying to everything a game threw at us. Some started as kids, some as adults, but the general idea is to find the games you do like and are good at and build your skill level until you're good enough for other games.

The more games you play, the better you know how to handle situations that come up. If your frustrations come from lack of skill then you can get rid of it by building when you can.

And of course don't let people force you to play games you aren't ready for.

That's good advice. But I think it mostly boils down to the fact that some people have certain natural skills like painting or writing symphonies while others can just look at such things and scratch their heads cluelessly. I'd fit into the latter category. I've played countless games of all kinds but I'm just not a natural at them, even with practice. A lot of it comes from a lack of maturity on my part. I get frustrated and give up very quickly because they just rub me wrong. 

My roomy doesn't really force me to play games with her, I just play along because she really likes it and I want her to be happy.

If I just distance myself properly, I can get through most games. It's just not my favorite thing to do. :pout:

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 3

14 minutes ago, Crypty said:

Oooo. I was sick gamer in school.

I just got once that the most difficult and challenging game with the best graphics and biggest locations and multiplayer is the real life. Now I developing my character and performing quests every day truly enjoying game-play process. ^-^

gamer_luna__by_spittfireart-d65cqj0.png

My princess!!! She's so gorgeous with her headset

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

That's good advice. But I think it mostly boils down to the fact that some people have certain natural skills like painting or writing symphonies while others can just look at such things and scratch their heads cluelessly. I'd fit into the latter category. I've played countless games of all kinds but I'm just not a natural at them, even with practice. A lot of it comes from a lack of maturity on my part. I get frustrated and give up very quickly because they just rub me wrong. 

My roomy doesn't really force me to play games with her, I just play along because she really likes it and I want her to be happy.

If I just distance myself properly, I can get through most games. It's just not my favorite thing to do. :pout:

I can definitely agree with that.

I'm a bit biased but I consider video games the ultimate form of entertainment, capable of anything another medium does and more, and skill level being the main hurdle against enjoyment makes for a sad day. There's much to experience beyond just an enemy coming at you in the screen but you can't see all that if you can't get past a certain point in the game. Whether it's the beauty of the world, the nuance in the gameplay mechanics, or even the way the story comes to a head there's so much to see.

Well, I still like videogames, but I have't played as much as before :huh: . Maybe it's because I can only deal with one time-consuming focus (ponies at the moment :orly: ), and most videogames nowadays take too much time, are too realistic, and real life issues

Downloadable Content and Microtransactions.

Well that's a shame you found the first 3 FF games a chore to play. I like doing chores so I guess that's why I find them fun to play. 2 is an exception since that game's difficulty is broken beyond belief despite having some of the most realistic mechanics I've seen in a video game.

I play good games to reward myself. While I play s:yay:ty games to punish myself e.g. Megaman X6.

Normally I play video games not for fun, but primarily as a source of escapism which I admit is quite an unhealthy habit and unfortunately stems from my own psychological issues. Still I commend and respect the people who got better things to do than play video games. Makes me wish I could do something productive.

I could never stop liking video games. They're a source of entertainment and I just love going through some of my favorites. Super Metroid is my favorite video game, and I could never stop playing through it over and over. Video games bring me joy, but also frustration, but to me that's part of gaming. Some games are going to frustrate you and that's part of it.

@Dreambiscuit Have you tried just playing a game for enjoyment? You don't have to be good at one, as long as you're having fun, I think that's the most important part.

5 hours ago, Celli said:

I could never stop liking video games. They're a source of entertainment and I just love going through some of my favorites. Super Metroid is my favorite video game, and I could never stop playing through it over and over. Video games bring me joy, but also frustration, but to me that's part of gaming. Some games are going to frustrate you and that's part of it.

@Dreambiscuit Have you tried just playing a game for enjoyment? You don't have to be good at one, as long as you're having fun, I think that's the most important part.

I guess I've never really thought of gaming as enjoyment, more of a chore I had to do, so that could have something to do with my aversion to them. It would be more enjoyable to roam around and just enjoy the graphics and scenery if I didn't have to deal with being attacked by monsters and stuff. Unfortunately there always seems to be a drawback of one kind or another that makes me dislike the overall experience.

I do remember Super Metroid and actually enjoyed that one for the most part. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I guess I've never really thought of gaming as enjoyment, more of a chore I had to do, so that could have something to do with my aversion to them. It would be more enjoyable to roam around and just enjoy the graphics and scenery if I didn't have to deal with being attacked by monsters and stuff. Unfortunately there always seems to be a drawback of one kind or another that makes me dislike the overall experience.

I see. Well, that's your decision, and I can't force people to enjoy something. Gaming isn't for everyone and that's okay :grin:

• Brohoof 2

Nothing has outright "killed" videogames for me. Though my interest in them overall has been on the decline for several years now. It has peaked a bit in recent months during my summer break, but otherwise it remains on the decline. I still find interest in some games (mostly casual relaxing ones), and playing games with friends sometimes. But otherwise I rarely find myself interested. 

What is this question? I've never stopped liking them. I've been passionate about gaming for about 15 years and still hasn't died. Though I have been playing much less than I used to, because my computer is kind of a potato, and I don't really have too many games on it :(

• Brohoof 1

On 8/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, Dreambiscuit said:

I can understand where you're coming from. I think I'm more fond of playing action in action games nowadays (but still nothing past The Legend of Zelda or Kingdom Hearts, really), but especially when I was younger I just wanted to run around and view the pretty world. Like in Ocarina of Time, I didn't really want to play the combat. I hated going through Hyrule Field at night because of those monsters that would pop up. D:

Anyway, it was during that time where I found games like Animal Crossing and The Sims. Games that didn't circle around action or skills (AC has a little bit or reflexes with the bugs and fish, but it's not like you have to partake in those activities), but instead characters/socialization and creativity/designing.

Like look at what I've designed in TS3 lately:

qK1H2Jj.jpg

I don't have to do anything with it, I can literally just spend forever just staring at how beautiful it is (IMO). lol. There is no "price" for just looking around in The Sims 3. I love it.

But I'm not telling you that you should try these series either. I've been dealing with pushy gamers myself lately that can't seem to get the message that I neither have the interest (important) nor money to invest in more PC games. I'm sorry your roommate plays those survival horror games. Ew. So ew. If I had a roommate like that, she'd have to warn me she was playing that stuff if she was somewhere where I might walk by and end up seeing it.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/11/2017 at 6:54 PM, Envy said:

I can understand where you're coming from. I think I'm more fond of playing action in action games nowadays (but still nothing past The Legend of Zelda or Kingdom Hearts, really), but especially when I was younger I just wanted to run around and view the pretty world. Like in Ocarina of Time, I didn't really want to play the combat. I hated going through Hyrule Field at night because of those monsters that would pop up. D:

Anyway, it was during that time where I found games like Animal Crossing and The Sims. Games that didn't circle around action or skills (AC has a little bit or reflexes with the bugs and fish, but it's not like you have to partake in those activities), but instead characters/socialization and creativity/designing.

Like look at what I've designed in TS3 lately:

qK1H2Jj.jpg

I don't have to do anything with it, I can literally just spend forever just staring at how beautiful it is (IMO). lol. There is no "price" for just looking around in The Sims 3. I love it.

But I'm not telling you that you should try these series either. I've been dealing with pushy gamers myself lately that can't seem to get the message that I neither have the interest (important) nor money to invest in more PC games. I'm sorry your roommate plays those survival horror games. Ew. So ew. If I had a roommate like that, she'd have to warn me she was playing that stuff if she was somewhere where I might walk by and end up seeing it.

This is also something people get caught up on. Not every game is about reflexes and action. There are thinking games, there are recreational games, games that just want you along for a predesigned roller coaster, games that are specifically designed to just let you make progress and the only objective is to take steps to make progress faster.

There is a video game for everyone. Hands down.

• 1 year later...

I played video games like crazy as a child and up to graduating high school. I went thru a very long gaming drought until a few years ago. I started playing again but here in the last few months, my interest nosedived. 

I haven't even finished Sonic Mania and I loved it so far. I'll get back into some gaming later.

I was a heavy player during my teen years and early twenties, then I lost interest because I wasn't able to sit longer than 20 minutes and enjoy myself playing.

I still play from time to time, but other than the main Pokémon series I have lost all interest in keeping up to date with video games.

I think it was post college years. I flunked out, and one of the reasons was video games. During the funk I was in for the first few months, I swore them off cause I felt I didn't deserve to do anything fun. Luckily MLP broke me out of that and helped me get over my failure. But I never got back into them with the same gusto. And after I started work, I had less time to invest, all the while finding other interests. Now it's become even harder, going from working part time to full time to regular overtime. 

I think it's also cause I have a short attention span. I play a game for maybe a day before I do something else. Dead or Alive 5. Played a day. VA-11 Hall-A. A day. Hyper Dimension Neptunia. A day. The only games I've gone back to are old-ish ones. Like WWE SD vs. Raw or my Yu-Gi-Oh: The Destiny game. Which is the duel monsters equivalent to solitaire. And even then, it's been a while.

Heck, I have a whole library of games that sounded like they'd be fun for me to play. But I haven't touched them. Some are still in the packaging. I'll probably go on the steam black Friday sale. Brows the offerings, find something that sounds good, buy it, only to have it collect dust in my steam library. All the games I have sound fun. I just find more interesting things to do during my short days. Like show up on MLP forums. 

I guess it's that and not wanting to invest that much time and effort into something I'll only get to do briefly. When you're a gamer, you throw yourself into what your playing. I don't know if i can commit to that like I used to.

That and I kinda suck at video games. I was always the one who got their ass kicked when the friends used to come over. 

Maybe one day.