Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe in heaven and hell?

SunshineFlow

No. Why would they exist? Sounds more like a fairy tale and makes absolutely no sense at all. I also don't believe in a second life with another body, nor do I believe in consciously starting a life in another dimension. 

• Brohoof 2

Not at the moment no. But my studies into what the afterlife might hold are pretty limited. My religious and spiritual views are still being refined and frankly I've hardly mastered the ethical code at this point. The spiritual stuff can wait while I get the physical down. 

I don't really "believe" in either heaven or hell. Eternal afterlife sounds boring and improbable no matter where it takes place. Although I'm agnostic, I do think reincarnation makes a bit more sense than an eternal afterlife, and heaven is probably more like a resting stop between death and birth. I'm also hoping one is given a choice as to where their next life is and who their next parents are as a way to make up for the lack of experiences in the current life. Of course, since there is no proof of this, I don't really believe it nor do I deny it; but it sounds more optimistic to me than eternal boredom/torture or absolute nothing.

Yes, I believe in heaven and hell. As an Orthodox-leaning Christian, I see heaven as an experience of becoming more like God and eventually uniting with Him as a result of salvation through Jesus Christ (the Orthodox call this theosis). The believer then experiences the pure, perfect love of God for all eternity after the last judgement.

Hell to me is also the experience of God, but since a person in hell did not know God in their lifetime and were consumed by sin rather than finding redemption, they have an experience of Him that is akin to a consuming fire.

• Brohoof 3

Yes, I do believe in heaven and hell. I am a Christian so I believe that humans possess souls and that after physical death our souls will be judged by the Lord. Those who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior will be in heaven. Heaven will be a place of happiness and rest. Hell is for those souls who reject Jesus Christ and a place of darkness, seperation, and suffering.

• Brohoof 1

No. The idea of being stuck somewhere FOREVER, even if it's good or not, sounds terrifying to me, let alone logical.

I believe they exist. I believe in and love my God, however, I'm not one to shove my religion down one's throat. My best friend is an atheist, and I think that proves that opposites in religion can get along.
However I have found myself in a state of mind in which I've been doubting my own faith.

Now I'm gonna shaddap before I start to ramble. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an Atheist, so I don't believe in either.

I believe that what little time we have to roam this Earth should be cherished because there's most likely not going to be anything after we close our eyes for the last and final time. We only have one life to live, and we should make the most of it. Our lives will only make a tiny fraction of a quarter of a percent of the Earth's total existence and an even smaller fraction of the Universe's total existence.

As a roman revivalist, I don't believe in heaven and hell as such, but I believe that there is an afterlife. It's good to honor the gods and honor one's family, and I believe I'll be rewarded in the afterlife. However, I don't think other people in other religions should conform to my own beliefs... maybe there's more than one afterlife...? Who knows!

The concept of heaven and hell dosen't sound logical to me, because for me, the concept of true evil and true good dosen't exist to me. If there really is heaven and hell, almost everybody in this world would need to go to hell, because we have all sinned at some point, even if we don't mean to.

However, i do believe in an afterlife. I am interested in the paranormal, and there is too much stuff happening in this world that makes me believe that there is another plain of existance. But certainly not in a religious way.

This video is a man who is being questioned about if he belives in heven and hell. His story is interesting 

Watching this answerers questions 

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DvMw_SD6Aj6w&ved=0ahUKEwijl6PRjqDWAhVFp48KHZldAbEQwqsBCCIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEK3Bt3QFlkOSFQXvM_fDY8zSAxlA

You don't have to watch it, I'm just offering it to anyone who might want something that is thought provoking 

Edited by RuthPainter99

I believe in heaven, hell, and purgatory. No man is too good for heaven (just yet) and no man is too evil for hell.

My theory is that God exists, and so do Heaven and Hell, even if I'm not the most rabid believer. And, in my defense, I would like to present to the skeptics a theory known as Pascal's Wager, developed by a French philosopher named Blaise Pascal (1623-1662).

In short, it is a chart. This chart depends on two facts - either that God is, or that He is not; as well as whether we believe, or we do not.

Thus, we get four combinations.

If we believe in God, and worship accordingly, and he does exist, then we win in the form of Heaven.

If we believe in God, and worship accordingly, and he does not exist, then nothing happens.

If we do not believe in God, and ignore Him, and he does exist, then we lose in the form of Hell.

If we do not believe in God, and ignore Him, and he does not exist, then nothing happens.

So, looking at this either way, choosing to ignore God is a coin flip of oblivion vs. Hell, while worshiping God is a coin flip of oblivion vs. Heaven. One might call me superstitious because of it, but I'll hedge my bets, if you don't mind. :P

• Brohoof 1

As a Christian, yes I do believe in both heaven and hell. I believe in God, I read the Bible, and I believe you must allow God to come into your heart as saviour and live how he wants you live in order to live eternally with Him in Heaven. I believe if you have no belief in God, you will go to Hell once you die. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

• 3 weeks later...

No, and frankly I lose respect for anyone who does, it is plain as day that it's completely made up. It's really very sad how many people lack critical thinking skills.

14 hours ago, Twilight Kyle said:

No, and frankly I lose respect for anyone who does, it is plain as day that it's completely made up. It's really very sad how many people lack critical thinking skills.

Critical thinking can be thrown to the wayside by religious belief. Not because someone is not intelligent, but because when someone is indoctrinated into religious belief from an early age, it doesn't turn off like a light switch just because someone uses their critical thinking. These beliefs are deeply ingrained into people. The concept of Heaven is strong to people because it brings eternal life with their loved ones who have passed away and they miss dearly. The concept of Hell is strong to people because going there means eternal torture.

No matter how ridiculous the concepts of the two are in reality, they play right into the weaknesses of humanity, and there are atheists who were so deeply indoctrinated that they still can't shake off the fear of maybe going to Hell, no matter how irrational they realize the concept is.

The only time I'm worried about someone is when they revel in the concept of Hell and are happy to think that people who do things they disagree with are going to go there. Not only is it irrational, but it is utterly repugnant. What could someone do to possibly deserve eternal torture? Think about it. And there are people (not all believers, of course) who think that something like being homosexual or not believing in God will land someone there. It's a very repugnant idea, and that's when I lose respect for someone. We should be better than that.

• Brohoof 3