Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have bad attitude towards vegans as people?

SunshineFlow

What they choose is up to them and I completely respect that. It only becomes an issue if they force their views upon those who aren't interested in them.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's say for example you had a bad experience with EVERY vegan you ever met, does that mean you shouldn't go vegan? Of course not. Blaming others and using them as an excuse to do something that is exploitive, damaging and unhealthy is irresponsible. So many people call vegans extreme but It's a fact that vegans cannot "Force" their views onto others but omnivores can and do "Force" animals to die for their views even though it's been proven that the optimal amount of animal consumption for health is zero.

I don't. Some people believe that all vegans are preachy or like to announce their choice to everyone they meet, but I believe they're much more down-to-earth than what the Internet made them out to be. If this is the lifestyle they choose, so be it. I'm not vegan, but I do understand why some would choose to be.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I don't. Some people believe that all vegans are preachy or like to announce their choice to everyone they meet, but I believe they're much more down-to-earth than what the Internet made them out to be. If this is the lifestyle they choose, so be it. I'm not vegan, but I do understand why some would choose to be.

I think the problem is that non-preachy vegans aren't obviously vegans - I know some who aren't preachy, but even then, they have to check the packaging on anything you offer them to ensure it doesn't contain something they object to (gelatin in candy, for example). So the only time you know a vegan is a vegan is when they are either being preachy, or making a big production out of yes/no questions (not saying they don't have to, in order to avoid "accidentally" eating things they object to, and that's no worse than, say, someone with a peanut allergy having to check) hence the negative impression from non-vegans.

I think learning both sides of the argument for yourself is important instead of thinking how society tells you to think.
The main reason people go vegan is for the animals, if any type of person wanted to go vegan for the animals it would be Bronies since we all love animals (Ponies and non Ponie alike)
Fluttershy would be very upset if you didn't :(

Of course not, I just don't like vegans who also happen to be bad people, and I don't judge based on that because there's bad people in every group. I'll continue to eat my meat and refute what I know is not true if one of them ever tries to guilt-trip me with lies, but I would never use an experience like that to justify having a bad attitude towards them. 

• Brohoof 1

Definitely not - I've never had a bad experience with one, and even if I had it's almost never fair to discriminate against an entire group of people. The fact is that the 1% of morons are the people who make headlines and make the other 99% look bad (this is true of any group, not just vegans). The vast majority of vegans are good people and likely very similar to everyone else in most other ways.

I have no issue when it comes to vegans in general, they have the right to make that choice, but I do however believe that the ones who try to force it on others or try to demonize those who don't follow their way of eating need to tone it down.

So, basically people have every right to be vegan, just like how people have every right to eat meat.

Me personally, I'm a meat eater.

• Brohoof 2

I can understand not wanting to eat meat because it might seem inhumane, or for environmental reasons, or for personal health reasons. I have no problems with vegans in general.

Except, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole "honey" and "wool" things. It's my understanding that humans consuming honey and wool would help benefit bee and sheep populations, but vegans seem to be opposed to that.

Vegetarianism makes more sense to me than veganism, but, as long as vegans aren't trying to indoctrinate me, they're perfectly fine in my book.

• Brohoof 1

Oh hell no!

I am not going to tolerate suggesting that any group be murdered because you don't like their opinion. I just stripped out a back and forth that was predicated on that statement. If you can't put on your big boy pants when discussing counter points to topics, don't waste your time hitting save. 

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

I understand the need to keep this forum site free of violence, sexual violence and gore and understand why my videos and links were removed from this discussion.
I will try to share a more light hearted aspect of living a lifestyle that does not directly exploit animals for pleasure. I am however disappointed in human psychology regarding how we are against something (Violence towards animals) yet pay for it to happen without directly seeing it for our own eyes. On hard topics like this we need and deserve transparency in order to make more informed choices that align with our morality.

If Anypony want's to learn about the practices in the animal agricultural industries before commenting on this discussion feel free to message me.

Edited by Kind Claw

13 hours ago, Pepper Mint said:

I can understand not wanting to eat meat because it might seem inhumane, or for environmental reasons, or for personal health reasons. I have no problems with vegans in general.

Except, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole "honey" and "wool" things. It's my understanding that humans consuming honey and wool would help benefit bee and sheep populations, but vegans seem to be opposed to that.

Vegetarianism makes more sense to me than veganism, but, as long as vegans aren't trying to indoctrinate me, they're perfectly fine in my book.

At least from a more nutritional stance, being able to eat dairy products and eggs makes it a lot easier to supplement the nutrients you would have otherwise gotten from meat. A major issue with veganism is vitamin B12 deficiency, and vitamin B12 comes naturally from animal products. This would require vegans to consume either fortified foods, supplements, or GMOs to account for nutritional deficiencies, which are even more apparent and bigger than that of typical vegetarians. 

Also, veganism isn't totally opposed to the use of animals in any kind of food product, but they are generally against unfair and harmful use of animals. Vegans generally will not care if bees were involved in pollinating crops or manure was used as fertilizer, but they do if they believe that chickens are being cooped up in cages to collect their eggs. 

It's like as long as they keep it to themselves I don't really mind what they choose to eat. But it really gets on my nerves when they start to preach.

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a problem with vegans. Everyone should be free to eat what they want. The ones that look down on other people for not being vegan really irritate me. Or if they are telling you they are vegan every five minutes like clockwork. I once had a lady tell me every five seconds that I should give her more food for free because she was vegan. 

(edited)
On 3/4/2019 at 5:30 AM, Anneal said:

At least from a more nutritional stance, being able to eat dairy products and eggs makes it a lot easier to supplement the nutrients you would have otherwise gotten from meat. A major issue with veganism is vitamin B12 deficiency, and vitamin B12 comes naturally from animal products. This would require vegans to consume either fortified foods, supplements, or GMOs to account for nutritional deficiencies, which are even more apparent and bigger than that of typical vegetarians. 

Also, veganism isn't totally opposed to the use of animals in any kind of food product, but they are generally against unfair and harmful use of animals. Vegans generally will not care if bees were involved in pollinating crops or manure was used as fertilizer, but they do if they believe that chickens are being cooped up in cages to collect their eggs. 

In terms of nutrition vegans who supplement B12 are healthier than omnivores because they don't consume animal products.
Vegans not being opposed to allowing bee's to pollinate fruits and veggies the logical stance is that bee's are not forced to do it they are simply behaving normally.
in regard to manure being used to fertilized crops, recycling waste is good for the environment and for better food production but if some are against the use of animal products in all aspects of farming you can get fertilizers from non animals sources like composted plant material.
Chickens are treated like products (egg laying machines) and are subjected to horrendous conditions like being cooped and killed early when egg production reduces. The egg industry also kill male baby chicks after one day because they are considered a waste products, they are often thrown into a grinder, suffocated with gas or thrown in mass into a bag to suffocate.

Edited by Kind Claw

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really care as long as they're not trying to foist their nonsense onto everyone else. The faux moral crusader vegans who chastise anyone and everyone for not being like them are infuriatingly obnoxious and I want to punch them in the face. But not cause they're vegan. No, no. It's because they're jackasses.

• Brohoof 1

I guess it depends on the person. I respect a lot of people who become vegan, whether it be for ethical or dietary reasons and that is totally fine to me...!!! Plus there are some pretty good vegan foods out there. An old classmate who I still follow on Instagram became vegan a few years back and they were pretty chilled out about it. They eventually joined a vegan group who every few weekends go to different town centres when its busy, tape their mouths shut and hold up pictures of slaughtered, cows, pigs chickens etc. with the sign 'Meat is murder'. In my opinion that is a horrible way to spread the message, if you want to promote veganism talk to people about it in a calm way, have a chat and both sides respect each others options. 

On 3/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, Kind Claw said:

In terms of nutrition vegans who supplement B12 are healthier than omnivores because they don't consume animal products.
Vegans not being opposed to allowing bee's to pollinate fruits and veggies the logical stance is that bee's are not forced to do it they are simply behaving normally.
in regard to manure being used to fertilized crops, recycling waste is good for the environment and for better food production but if some are against the use of animal products in all aspects of farming you can get fertilizers from non animals sources like composted plant material.
Chickens are treated like products (egg laying machines) and are subjected to horrendous conditions like being cooped and killed early when egg production reduces. The egg industry also kill male baby chicks after one day because they are considered a waste products, they are often thrown into a grinder, suffocated with gas or thrown in mass into a bag to suffocate.

It’s still quite a complicated issue. Getting most people to stop eating meat is virtually impossible and even more “humane” ways of raising animals (free range being an example) take up vastly more land, more resource intensive, or are far too expensive.

Developing and improving in vitro meat technology – which require significantly less land and water and without the slaughter of animals – may be our best option. Thankfully there has been more and more scientific interest in in vitro meat, as it could be used to feed astronauts on long trips or scientists working in extreme environments (such as the poles or the deep ocean) and keep their morale up. Though it might take a while before in vitro meat begins to simulate real meat, as bio-technology hasn’t gone far enough to allow us to simulate connective tissue or blood cells properly that gives things like beef or pork its taste. We might have to live with in-vitro Spam for a while.

GMOs may be another option. It’s possible to genetically modify animals so that they can be less resource intensive – however, this doesn’t solve that said animals would be slaughtered anyways, and genetically modifying animals outside of selective breeding is rather controversial. A better alternative may be to simply modify GMO grains so that they can taste more like meat without actually being meat. This may not be too difficult as even without genetic modification, the beans used in veggie burgers taste reasonably close to meat. 

• Brohoof 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:55 AM, Kind Claw said:

Religious views? Cult views? Extreme views? let's clear things up a bit here on this thread. What is veganism? Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, and an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of animals (Wikipedia) Veganism is not religious, cultist or extreme. If anypony thinks that living a life that reduces violence as "extreme" then you need to re-evaluate your thought's on what classifies as extremism. Let's look at two sides of the argument here, one view eats only plants (or things that do not feel pain) is not unhealthy and is less damaging to the environment  the other view literally FORCES animals to live lives of exploitation and then be slaughtered because of taste preferences. Now I'll ask you personally, which view would be considered extreme if you were looking at it objectively? Again one forces animals to die, :( the other does not. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

I've never ate a burger in my entire life, aswell as anything of substantial meat products other than slim jims or pepperoni when I was a really little kid. I've always had a certain way of eating and meat eating was never a part of that. I support vegans, on all of their endeavors, I surely think that the way humans eat needs to be more healthier and sustainable, whether that means getting rid of meat eating or not, at least make the way of harvesting meat more humane though, as we can never really get rid of it as much as we want to, unfortunately.

Even if it seems unlikely that we wont stop eating meat all together as specie, that doesn't mean that others should not try to reduce and even eliminate their consumption of animal products.
People are not going to stop taking illegal drugs all together but doesn't mean I'm going to start taking crack lol (Example used to illustrate a point, don't do drugs kids)

Edited by Kind Claw