Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Please tell me the show has an excuse for all the recoloured ponies!

Dec Browne

I'm trying to stay a brony, I really am. But the show's somewhat lazy animation and heavy use of recolours is driving me further and further to the edge. I really want to know if the show has an excuse for this, because I love it too much not to love it.

• Brohoof 1

Well, there are some lazy recolors, true. Re-used assets and recycled cutie marks and appearances, but there are some good recolors too. Like, Moondancer is a good Twilight recolor, and Rainbow Dash is a good Daring Doo recolor... oh, no wait, it's the other way around xd
It's just impossible to draw with their budget a 30 new unique nice designs for each episode, each scene to draw all these manes in new angles. But then we see Trixie at multiple places in the SAME FRAME.... Yeah, I understand what you feel 7v7

• Brohoof 1

The reason is limited animators with a deadline. I'm sure they would love to make separate ponies that aren't recolors. However, corporate set deadlines are a thing. Time saving measures will have to be taken.

• Brohoof 1

As the background ponies are only going to be shown for a couple of seconds, it's understandable, especially since it's mostly adults noticing things like this. A lot of cartoons have glaring animation errors that could be fixed easily, but it just isn't seen as worth the effort.

The recolors don't really bother me, and some of them are priceless. Can't help but love Bluetaloo and Greenie Belle!

bluetaloo.png

• Brohoof 3

I don't mind the recolors at all, especially if the background ponies have nothing to offer to the episode itself. To be honest I find it weird when people pay so much attention to the happenings in the background and make such a big deal about it. Many others have already said it but time and budget are good reasons for not making every background character unique in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

Can't help but love Bluetaloo and Greenie Belle!

They must be Scootaloo's and Sweetie Belle's shiny forms. :D

So can I ask are you into the show for the story and characters or the artwork? Because if it's the latter of the two I get it. But if not I am sort of confused. I mean maybe its just me but if the story and characters are good I can ignore a lot of flaws. 

Edited by Jedishy
I need coffee

I don't personally see the big issue about recolors in the show. It's like a lot of people have already said; time-limited deadlines and such. Plus animators have a lot more to worry about than background ponies. The story and the characters that are the main focus of said story are more important. I think it's kind of a silly thing to be worrying over and - and I'm sorry if this may sound rude to you - if you're going to nitpick about background pony recolors, then maybe the show just isn't for you anymore.

18 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

As the background ponies are only going to be shown for a couple of seconds, it's understandable, especially since it's mostly adults noticing things like this. A lot of cartoons have glaring animation errors that could be fixed easily, but it just isn't seen as worth the effort.

The recolors don't really bother me, and some of them are priceless. Can't help but love Bluetaloo and Greenie Belle!

bluetaloo.png

Greenie Belle looks really odd. Bluetaloo actually looks pretty awesome. :D

• Brohoof 1