Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E14 - Fame and Misfortune

PinkiePie97

Share your thoughts!  

173 users have voted

1. 1. Share your thoughts!

• "Are you kidding me?! This episode should've stayed dead and buried like Twilicorn!" (Hate it!)
    • "Typical. Just like the Mane 6's characters, they've slipped backwards again." (Dislike it)
    • "Meh. I'd put it onto the 'maybe' pile of good ideas. (So-so)
    • "There are things we like, and there are things we dislike, but I certainly liked this episode! :D" (Like)
    • "I love the Mane 6, and I love this episode!! <3" (Love!)
    • ...Wait, where the heck was Spike?! :V (???)

5 hours ago, Spivey said:

If Slice of Life was a love letter to the fandom, this is an angry slap in the face of 'fans' who simply enjoy the show. Honestly, I was shocked and more than a little worried by the anger that the script seemed to have towards them.

So, this is basically the writers parodying us in order to excuse their own poor writing, realizing they are underperforming, and basically telling us it's our fault for complaining because we're not children?

They've taken to actually blatantly, obviously insulting us now.

It is our fault. There are some people who really picking on the show and not one or two times, but every episode and you do it now. Hating this episode is basically hating the writers point of view. :orly: This is not insulting, but set an example too. Just try to laugh over it.

5 hours ago, Spivey said:

Sorry, writers, but, no, you don't get to do that. You don't get to pander to your adult community for years then turn around and tell them to fuck off because "it's not for your enjoyment". Because, let's face it, that's basically what the moral was:  "You older viewers are not welcome here and we don't care what you think. Leave the show for the kids." Attacking the brony community shows the current show staff to be very ungrateful to the fandom, which is the only reason the show didn't stop at 65 episodes and pass into syndication. If this is how they act, then I say: shut it all down. Delete FIMFiction,, Equestria Daily, and all other fan sites so they get exactly what they want from us, which is nothing, and total silence forever more.

Simply put, this episode was too angrily defensive in its rejection of fans' criticism.

In short: fuck this episode and everyone who helped create it. Fuck the show for going on for too long like The Simpsons and Family Guy. Fuck this fandom for creating an environment where this had to happen. Fuck Hasbro for forcing shit into the show. Fuck fan sites like this and Equestria Daily for encouraging this behaviour. Fuck every adult fan who ever spent money on this show. And most of all fuck me for ever becoming a fan of this show and letting this episode get me this mad.

Don't you think you are looking over the meaning and becoming a little bit agressive?

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 6

I found this post over at EQD => https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/08/episode-followup-fame-and-misfortune.html

It's the best comment I've read on the episode so far, so I'm sharing it here:

Cheshyr1 • 6 hours ago

I loved this episode. I took several things from this.

We live in a celebrity centric society. I saw this as a satirical jab at that idolization of those celebrities and the obsession of them as perfect people. Most importantly, I thought of how this would look from the eyes of a child? Will kids come across this personally? Of coarse! In schools they could be the star player, the mythic alpha girl, the one that earns the highest grades, etc. They will come across harsh criticism from their parents, their peers, and even from their own selves. It is pretty important for kids to learn, it is okay to not be flawless. No one is perfect. We try to be better. We learn from our mistakes and move on. Even if they don't learn that lesson the first time, that is okay. Keep trying. Keep learning. Keep improving. Most importantly, those kids don't have to let the opinions of others afflict their own self confidence. There are adults who haven't learned this and struggle daily with this in their own lives.

As an artist, I had a great laugh from Twilight's struggles at her intentions missed by her audience. That is not easy when putting something out there and all that work being misinterpreted. Art is at the mercy of the audience and how they translate the painting, music, sculpture, or writing. It happens. An artist can just hope that what they are trying to say reaches their audience and the audience understands. That's a risk an artist takes to put their work out there. It is another lesson kids will have to learn that while not everyone may understand, there will be some out there who are touched and grateful for what that artist was brave enough to showcase.

I say Amen.

• Brohoof 5

2 hours ago, Spivey said:

If Slice of Life was a love letter to the fandom, this is an angry slap in the face of 'fans' who simply enjoy the show. Honestly, I was shocked and more than a little worried by the anger that the script seemed to have towards them.

So, this is basically the writers parodying us in order to excuse their own poor writing, realizing they are underperforming, and basically telling us it's our fault for complaining because we're not children?

Sorry, writers, but, no, you don't get to do that. You don't get to pander to your adult community for years then turn around and tell them to fuck off because "it's not for your enjoyment". Because, let's face it, that's basically what the moral was:  "You older viewers are not welcome here and we don't care what you think. Leave the show for the kids." Attacking the brony community shows the current show staff to be very ungrateful to the fandom, which is the only reason the show didn't stop at 65 episodes and pass into syndication. If this is how they act, then I say: shut it all down. Delete FIMFiction,, Equestria Daily, and all other fan sites so they get exactly what they want from us, which is nothing, and total silence forever more.

Simply put, this episode was too angrily defensive in its rejection of fans' criticism.

In short: fuck this episode and everyone who helped create it. Fuck the show for going on for too long like The Simpsons and Family Guy. Fuck this fandom for creating an environment where this had to happen. Fuck Hasbro for forcing shit into the show. Fuck fan sites like this and Equestria Daily for encouraging this behaviour. Fuck every adult fan who ever spent money on this show. And most of all fuck me for ever becoming a fan of this show and letting this episode get me this mad.

You have to understand: If it was intended as that at all or only as that (because we can only assume to which degree; it could have been merely inspired), then it was directed at people like you as a nudge to let the heart lead the way. :smug:

May I suggest looking into a mirror and then at the episode so you can see the drama queen? :please:

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Spivey said:

"I made you! And I can destroy you!", the forum post.

One that seems to further validate the episode's existence no less

• Brohoof 6

10 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Maybe, you weren't exactly clear on what you meant, so I just took as assuming you meant the replaced Spike with Starlight Glimmer in the script. Aside from assisting Twilight they aren't that similar though. 

Well, Spike is a witty little dragon and Starlight is ... Starlight. They cannot replace each other in general, but those similarities in function and lack of Spike were enough for me to make that snarky comment. Don't get me wrong, I still meant what I wrote, but that is just my opinion on how I would make this episode better and can thus be discarded. I guess we just misunderstood what each of us wanted to convey. Shit happens.

• Brohoof 1

Gotta say, I like and hate this episode. Guess it's because the story here's based in real life stuff. Saying like haters saying that they're fake and all, also just admiring you for your social status. I can relate with them as if you become a celebrity they'd mob you just for that status. And also, ugh! The critics, naysayers, etc. those are the things I dislike, they just post what ever sh*t they want just to put you down, and not see the stuff you go through. Anyways, the song that they did, kinda reminded of Rainbow Rocks. hehehehe. Anyways, that's it.

Oh, yeah. Forgot to add something. And I'm gonna spit it out. Really, ponies? After what the Mane 6 did for ya'll ponies, this is the sh*t you give in return? Well, you ponies are lucky that they're the forgiving type, if it was someone else and not the Mane 6, ya'll wouldn't be around.

Edited by PoNinJA-4
  • Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Hebbocake said:

Okay dude you got your point across. Can you stop now? For all I know you're the aggressive one here.

How about you drop your persecution complex and stop being so defensive? Ever heard of tone? 

3 hours ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

"I made you! And I can destroy you!", the forum post.

One that seems to further validate the episode's existence no less

As I like to say, a good exorcism starts with calling out the demon's name.

• Brohoof 4

On 2017-08-14 at 6:53 PM, Hierok said:

Where is this all about? :confused:

Phirun Natela being rude to people who don't share his opinion, and then getting all defensive when he got called out on it. Here it was a mistake "what are you smoking thing" over an opinion about Spike replacing Starlight in this episode, which ironically enough I never actually expressed an opinion about, I just stated that Spike can't just replace Starlight's role without significant changes being made to the script. I would have just let it slide if it wasn't for that fact I've seen him starting the same crap in other threads. 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Ganondox said:

Hebbocake being rude to people who don't share his opinion, and then getting all defensive when he got called out on it. Here it was a mistake "what are you smoking thing" over an opinion about Spike replacing Starlight in this episode, which ironically enough I never actually expressed an opinion about, I just stated that Spike can't just replace Starlight's role without significant changes being made to the script. I would have just let it slide if it wasn't for that fact I've seen him starting the same crap in other threads. 

I am not going to take part in that discussion. Sorry. ^_^ 

I was wondering since I saw all the post to each other, which weren't the kindest post I've seen, to let me put it that way. :D

• Brohoof 1

@Spivey Holy fucking shit, you missed the point.

This episode was directed at the people who take the show too seriously, the ones who act like the writing is like God's gift, like Citizen Kane, or that it needs to be. This episode is basically saying "stop taking this kid's show so seriously".

Really, grow a fucking spine and learn to laugh at yourself. This episode was fantastic, because again, it's telling the fandom to stop taking the show seriously.

• Brohoof 6

12 minutes ago, Shoobedoo said:

At first watch I hated this episode... Then I saw it was written by M.A. Larson. Suddenly I realized it wasn't written with malice. And all I can say is...

Well trolled sir! 

tumblr_nyn4rpmaNB1tafz1bo1_400.gif

Only Larson can be such a troll. That's why is the only one who makes this kind of episodes. :D

• Brohoof 2

I knew this episode was directly for the fandom and I wasn't disappointed one bit. It's true and entertaining to watch at the same time and considering that it hit home with me on so many occasions, I'm actually laughing along the way. It's so great and at the same time, a reminder to take things less seriously with every bit of detail. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Hebbocake said:

"What are you smoking" isn't rude or aggressive like you want to call it. It was a harmless jab at best and sarcastic remark at worst. You're taking this way too seriously. Just take a chill pill or something. 

Anyways, this is pointless since you're just repeating yourself now and being a bit too butthurt. Ima not reply to your posts anymore.

It sure was a good troll.

While it's not the rudest thing you can stay, it's still rude and demeaning, and the reason I called it out was because of your general attitude.

" It was a harmless jab at best and sarcastic remark at worst." So either way you do understand that it IS an attack. 

Stop trying to justify yourself and just cut it out. 

"Just take a chill pill or something. " Haha, no. Take some responsibility for your actions. I am free to call you out as I feel fit. Why don't you take your own advice? 

12 hours ago, Dowlphin said:

You have to understand: If it was intended as that at all or only as that (because we can only assume to which degree; it could have been merely inspired), then it was directed at people like you as a nudge to let the heart lead the way. :smug:

May I suggest looking into a mirror and then at the episode so you can see the drama queen? :please:

Whether it was intentional or not, they were still attacking the fandom.

5 hours ago, Celli said:

@Spivey Holy fucking shit, you missed the point.

This episode was directed at the people who take the show too seriously, the ones who act like the writing is like God's gift, like Citizen Kane, or that it needs to be. This episode is basically saying "stop taking this kid's show so seriously".

Really, grow a fucking spine and learn to laugh at yourself. This episode was fantastic, because again, it's telling the fandom to stop taking the show seriously.

Maybe if the show itself didn't take itself so seriously and expect us to take it seriously at the same time, people probably wouldn't be taking it seriously, so the writers can't make an episode that basically laughs at its fans for taking it seriously.

1 minute ago, Spivey said:

Maybe if the show itself didn't take itself so seriously and expect us to take it seriously at the same time, people probably wouldn't be taking it seriously, so the writers can't make an episode that basically laughs at its fans for taking it seriously.

O.o Since when has the show taken itself seriously?

• Brohoof 5

I loved it! I like how it focused on the mane six again, and had Twilight's flaws. Instead of being able to solve it with ease perfectly, she had worried herself too much, giving her a realistic personality. I like how Starlight helped out too, even if it was small.

• Brohoof 4

On 08/12/2017 at 1:02 PM, Sly said:

It might be true that the show survived thanks to the fandom, but it's also true that the fandom itself can be VERY selfishly and harrassing often. To make a big example: Amy Keating Rogers and Gillian Berrow got death treads because Filli Vanilli and Fluttershy Leans In respectively, so the episode HAS a point with the representation of the bro.... no fandoms in general. The two fillies at the end represent how something should (and I point, SHOULD) be enjoyed, that's why I personally believe this episode was very necessary at this point.... It also touched me personally in various ways.

Wait a minute! G.M. Barrow got death threats over "Fluttershy Leans In!?" Seriously!? Why!? What was wrong with it!? Sure, it was a little boring, but that was it's only downside. I personally liked it due to the character growth on display. Fluttershy has really grown up from the shy little pony she was back in season one. You know what? It's episodes like this that make me love this show. This is exactly what this episode needs, a good smack upside the head that says, "Stop taking this show so seriously, quit acting like jackasses, and just enjoy the show.

15 hours ago, Spivey said:

I originally didn't plan on seeing this episode 'cause I knew it was going to suck, and I was totally right. If Slice of Life was a love letter to the fandom, this is an angry slap in the face of 'fans' who simply enjoy the show. Honestly, I was shocked and more than a little worried by the anger that the script seemed to have towards them. This episode was a sign that this show is literally running out of ideas.

So, this is basically the writers parodying us in order to excuse their own poor writing, realizing they are underperforming, and basically telling us it's our fault for complaining because we're not children? I'm not even sure if younger fans will like these newer episodes.

Sorry, writers, but, no, you don't get to do that. You don't get to pander to your adult community for years then turn around and tell them to fuck off because "it's not for your enjoyment". Because, let's face it, that's basically what the moral was:  "You older viewers are not welcome here and we don't care what you think. Leave the show for the kids." Attacking the brony community shows the current show staff to be very ungrateful to the fandom, which is the only reason the show didn't stop at 65 episodes and pass into syndication. If this is how they act, then I say: shut it all down. Delete FIMFiction,, Equestria Daily, and all other fan sites so they get exactly what they want from us, which is nothing, and total silence forever more. I hope they enjoyed our support, because I doubt season eight will get aired now.

Simply put, this episode was too angrily defensive in its rejection of fans' criticism. This was an episode form of Jim Miller's unprofessional "Go fuck yourselves" tweet. I consider this to be the absolute worst episode of the whole goddamn series. I hated most of this season other than "A Royal Problem".

And regarding Coconut Cream and Toola Roola? You know what? No. Weaponized G3 or not, it's still low as fuck. DHX is so pretentious about showing these 'curved mirrors' constantly, as if it has become a requirement to have once every season.

I propose a question to all of you: what would this show be without the Bronies? It would be a 65-episode kids' cartoon that ended on "Magical Mystery Cure" and then slipped quietly into syndication with little to no fanfare. If there was a movie then it would have been a combination of "Princess Twilight Sparkle" and "Twilight's Kingdom" with the bloat sanded off, Tirek popping up throughout the whole movie, and little parables showing the mane 6's revelatory moments to get the Rainbow Power and G4 ending with Twilight's speech about spreading the magic of friendship all over Equestria. Would "Equestria Girls" have been a thing? Yes, no doubt, because Hasbro wanted to compete with "Monster High" and that was the easiest way to do so, and the legacy of FiM would be a bunch of tween cartoon straight to DVD features, no theatrical release. It saddens me beyond belief that the next big 2D animated feature to hit theaters will be the My Little Pony Movie.

Would there have been adult fans? Yes, because every kids' show has adult fans. I know first hand as I am a huge fan of "Care Bears" and always will be, but it never should have gone this far.

I feel sorry for Lauren Faust because she just wanted to make a show that was better for little girls than the drivel they usually get spoon-fed and make it not boring for their parents, and she succeeded far too well and ended up here, with a show gone on too long that now decides to insult the fans who kept it on life support for so long. No, the series ending at 65 episodes, plus direct-to-DVD movies, wouldn't have affected toy sales. Little girls would still clamor for the toys because there are studies that show that girls do like horses for various reasons and Hasbro wouldn't need any excuse to keep pumping out recolors and new toys for eternity. They do the same with Transformers after all.

In short: fuck this episode and everyone who helped create it. Fuck the show for going on for too long like The Simpsons and Family Guy. Fuck this fandom for creating an environment where this had to happen. The show should never have garnered a fanbase as large and unpleseable as The Trekkies. Fuck Hasbro for forcing shit into the show. Fuck fan sites like this and Equestria Daily for encouraging this behaviour. Fuck every adult fan who ever spent money on this show. And most of all fuck me for ever becoming a fan of this show and letting this episode get me this mad.

Jesus, dude, it's people like you that this episode was attacking. It's people like you that give this fandom a bad name, and why this episode had to be made, because people like you take this show too seriously and expect the writers to meet your ridiculously high demands that they can't meet. You expect the writers to make this series overly complicated by doing characters and stories that are too complex to do in a show like this. For fuck's sake, it's a fucking kids' cartoon! Calm the fuck down!

3 hours ago, Shoobedoo said:

At first watch I hated this episode... Then I saw it was written by M.A. Larson. Suddenly I realized it wasn't written with malice. And all I can say is...

Well trolled sir! 

tumblr_nyn4rpmaNB1tafz1bo1_400.gif

Thanks MA Larson. :)

I've seen some compare this to Slice of Life, in that this episode was meant is the opposite of that thank you. I may have said this in here, or in a chat, but I've been looking at this meta episode as the companion to the artistic meta episode Suited For Success. In that episode the staff shared their opinion on the dangers of a client's influence on their art, and how it can pervert it's intent. In this episode we saw the same general message, but it was directed at the audience, who in their admiration of the show and characters can sometimes, can sometimes get caught up in the details and lose sight of salient facts of the show.

I support the message they were trying to get across.

Ironically enough, I've seen one or two people who have groaned that Perfect Pair wasn't explicit enough dislike this because it was too explicit. A good argument could be had for when to use the sledgehammer and when to use subtly. In this case, they wanted the point they were making to be obvious. 

It also can start up a great conversation on whether fans are entitled to be a part of the creative process, and even who owns the art. This is an argument that has been present in the Harry Potter and Star Wars fandoms as their respective creators can let a finished work be finished.

Some of the vitriol this episode has caused may be a bit overboard though. DHX and Hasbro obviously don't hate their fans.  

• Brohoof 2