Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E14 - Fame and Misfortune

PinkiePie97

Share your thoughts!  

172 users have voted

1. 1. Share your thoughts!

• "Are you kidding me?! This episode should've stayed dead and buried like Twilicorn!" (Hate it!)
    • "Typical. Just like the Mane 6's characters, they've slipped backwards again." (Dislike it)
    • "Meh. I'd put it onto the 'maybe' pile of good ideas. (So-so)
    • "There are things we like, and there are things we dislike, but I certainly liked this episode! :D" (Like)
    • "I love the Mane 6, and I love this episode!! <3" (Love!)
    • ...Wait, where the heck was Spike?! :V (???)

44 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

I'm gonna be that guy and say, admitting that your show has witting flaws dose not excuse that your show has writing flaws. :lol:

It goes both ways, likewise, "criticism" doesn't excuse you from being a total douche to the writers just because they screwed up or did something you didn't like

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

Starlight is there as the outside impression of the book and she also won't be mobbed since she's not in it unlike Spike (Power Ponies and Equestria Games) I noticed that too funny enough they could have easily written him out totally in character:

[Starlight, Twilight and Spike experience the Fillydelphia fans and Twilight expresses dislike]

Spike: Don't worry Twilight you'll get used to it, trust me.

Random Ponies: There he is!

Sipke: Ah look at my new fans already. And who should I write this out to?

Pony: Actually I'm wondering why you think you're so useless I mean look at all this stuff you do what's wrong with you!

Spike: I...uh..well

Pony: Well no more we're here to make you feel special in fact I could your help for [insert task here]

Pony: Oh me too there's so many things you could do for me and I'd really appreciate it! [Glares at Twilight]

[Ponies begin closing in as he back away]

Twilight: Spike, where are you going?

Spike: Anywhere but here, if you girls need me I'll be hiding in the castle. Don't come unless you're alone!

[He runs off as his "fans" give chase]

Then just bring him back for the end hug. There we go our dragon friend is properly accounted for! :D

You do realize you've just increased my need for Spike in this episode. Starlight wasn't all that great as an outside opinion. Unlike Spike, her humor is connected to her tragic past and stale social awkwardness that is being erased as is befitting for any friendship student. And Spike has experience with fans. He could have been the one teaching Mane 6 how to deal with the ponies and it would have been hilarious.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

The fans were representative of the Bronies who don't always see the forest for the trees. As far as them acting like asshats ...  you forget ... I used to see all the hidden posts in this place. ;)

This was perfect meta humor that will be uncomfortably on the nose for some. After all my years of basically saying the exact same thing this episode has said about the Mane Six and how they sound, I'll take my bias lap of having my philosophy in official canon. The hammer struck the nail pretty solidly.

Well played Pony Crew. 

Wait, I take my previous statement back.  No introspect needed. This is just too good. So you all think we haters should be butthurt by our very own custom made episodes? When was the last time you guys got your own meta episode? I mean, we're demonstratively still the most acknowledged part of the fandom whose whims can influence the episodes themselves. You may think of us as the flies buzzing around the horse, but you're the pavement.

• Brohoof 1

Flaws and Mistakes is how they learn, no pony's perfect. And sometimes we need to relearn.

And I think Twilight might've forgotten to proof read the journal before publishing it.

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

It also made me sad that nopony cared about Twilight Sparkle's Friendship Lessons.

The two little fillies cared.

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 4

7 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

It also made me sad that nopony cared about Twilight Sparkle's Friendship Lessons.

Life is like it is, but yes, it was kind of disappointing.

• Brohoof 2

On 8/12/2017 at 11:58 AM, Sparklefan1234 said:

I meant nopony important. :P

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks there should have been more examples of ponies who were inspired by the friendship lessons, the true intent of the journal.  

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Wait, I take my previous statement back.  No introspect needed. This is just too good. So you all think we haters should be butthurt by our very own custom made episodes? When was the last time you guys got your own meta episode? I mean, we're demonstratively still the most acknowledged part of the fandom whose whims can influence the episodes themselves. You may think of us as the flies buzzing around the horse, but you're the pavement.

:D

As usual I have crafted my post as generic enough to be taken multiple ways to see how specific people would infer the message. 

I've been extraordinarily consistent with my belief that the people who dislike character 'x' are perfectly fine in my book. You would be hard pressed to find a post where I even use the term haters. This is very notable because when I joined MLPF there was a very vocal group of Rarity fans that always seemed to butt heads with those that didn't like her. While I would communicate why I liked the character, I refused to dismiss the position of the fans who disliked her, and even defended their position or reasons as valid justifications. 

That's the forest! 

The episode didn't tackle one side of the equation, and it wasn't a defense of bad writing. Those that adore a character without appreciating or acknowledging their flaws are similar to those who ignore the narrative wins of a character and focus on their flaws. This point is driven home lyrically, narratively, and throw the shot set ups in the animation. 

How to appreciate a character and a story is definitely worth constructive dialog, as much as pointing out missed and failures of the writing along the way. 

I have to snicker though at the chest puffery about influence. =D

• Brohoof 7

Just now, ChB said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks there should have been more examples of ponies who were inspired by friendship lessons, the true intent of the journal.  

Actually I could see that. They were the only ones who read that book with the intention of doing something about their friendship while everypony else read it just because of the characters involved (yet another parallel to a fan's liking of an episode) and the princess publishing it. Not hard to fathom when you think back to the Trade Ya book exchange Pinkie did.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, ChB said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks there should have been more examples of ponies who were inspired by friendship lessons, the true intent of the journal.  

I think they were trying to show "older fans" that at the end of the day the demographic for MLP is kids &

that older fans complaints don't matter to the writers.

At least, that's what I got from that. :please:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

Even though Larson claims that he has little to do with the final outcome, this episode certainly feels like Larson. And I love it.

It was a lot of fun, featured many new and old background ponies and was built on two things I find very enjoyable about the show – continuity and mocking bronies (something they started doing relatively recently). Also, the song was good, and I especially liked that it didn’t change anything.

The only thing that bothered me is that the mane six’s fame was so SUDDEN. I mean almost everypony already knew them – they saved Equestria so many times and had been publicly acknowledged for that. But in this episode even the Ponyville residents seemed like seeing them for the first time.

All in all, I find the episode to be a solid example of good MLP stuff. I’m definitely rewatching it, probably more than once.

Spoiler

So, we have a new meme face now, ha?

1508811__safe_screencap_caramel_fame+and

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Flutterstep said:

I'm gonna be that guy and say, admitting that your show has witting flaws dose not excuse that your show has writing flaws. :lol:

I didn't take this episode to be a defense against complaints of poor writing at all.

For example, some state that specific elements of a character arc may be poorly crafted, while others would disagree. Think Fluttershy's overall journey and it's length. If a character's journey takes longer than some would like, while others greatly appreciate the nature behind a slow and more realistic journey, it's hard to say that is technically poor writing. Personally, it's more of a matter of taste and interpretation. Sometimes people don't even want to consider the other option since we tend to become married to our own ideas too much. Hence some in the crowd completely ignoring the other side. 

• Brohoof 8

Just now, ggg-2 said:

Am I the only one who found this episode to be a bit mean-spirited towards the fandom? Or am I being too sensitive again?

A bit of both, we kinda deserve it sometimes 

• Brohoof 5

Just now, ggg-2 said:

Am I the only one who found this episode to be a bit mean-spirited towards the fandom? Or am I being too sensitive again?

Too sensitive probably. It was definitely a directed message to the fandom, or some of it. I don't see it as mean spirited. You know how Suited For Success was hailed as a masterpiece for it's meta commentary directed towards Hasbro for interfering with the artistic license and direction that the creators wanted? 

This is similar, but it was less subtle and directed at fans who may forget to take a step back on occasion and listen to the creators, regardless whether they love or hate a character. That that find themselves aware of their own negativity may likely see this directed at them. 

Anyway, this wasn't mean spirited. And even if it was, I don't need to be coddled. I'm an adult 

Just now, RulesofRarity said:

What's the point though of a character learning a lesson only for them to start acting the exact same as they did before learning that said lesson? :okiedokieloki:

Because some would say this is reality and in the average person those lessons need to be reinforced when there are slightly new variables. For me it is what makes a character more relatable ... since personality changes aren't always that easy of simple. Usually the first step is awareness, then you find yourself repeating similar mistakes until eventually things mostly change. 

Baby steps ;)

• Brohoof 9

Just now, Jeric said:

I didn't take this episode to be a defense against complaints of poor writing at all.

For example, some state that specific elements of a character arc may be poorly crafted, while others would disagree. Think Fluttershy's overall journey and it's length. If a character's journey takes longer than some would like, while others greatly appreciate the nature behind a slow and more realistic journey, it's hard to say that is technically poor writing. Personally, it's more of a matter of taste and interpretation. Sometimes people don't even want to consider the other option since we tend to become married to our own ideas too much. Hence some in the crowd completely ignoring the other side. 

I totally get what you're saying. I've personally never been keen on how stereotypical the foundation of each mane charecter is as it can create a poor judgment upon those who share one or two traits, which is a stretch I know. But that's just my opinion and I would never let that control how I view other factors of the show, especially the marvels it has. Hoestly, I just saw this episode as the writers having fun, and it certinly rubbed off, since so many people enjoyed it so much. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 4

Just now, Flutterstep said:

I totally get what you're saying. I've personally never been keen on how stereotypical the foundation of each mane charecter is as it can create a poor judgment upon those who share one or two traits, which is a stretch I know. But that's just my opinion and I would never let that control how I view other factors of the show, especially the marvels it has. Hoestly, I just saw this episode as the writers having fun, and it certinly rubbed off, since so many people enjoyed it so much. :fluttershy:

This was the most fun I've had with an episode in a while, definitely. In a weird sense the episode was an answer to the common threads in Sugar Cube Corner that start with, "What would the Ponies think about ...?"

• Brohoof 5

19 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

I think some people in the fandom sometimes need a good wake up call, that what they are doing is only a hobby and that they shouldn't be so demandable about certain things. Some Bronies can be very mean if their headcanons are being destroyed, or if changes happen in the main cast (oh hey Starlight.)

It's important for people to listen what the other side has to say, instead of having a holier then yee attitude. I know it's not all Bronies, but just ignoring them and not counting them is total denial.

• Brohoof 11