Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E14 - Fame and Misfortune

PinkiePie97

Share your thoughts!  

172 users have voted

1. 1. Share your thoughts!

• "Are you kidding me?! This episode should've stayed dead and buried like Twilicorn!" (Hate it!)
    • "Typical. Just like the Mane 6's characters, they've slipped backwards again." (Dislike it)
    • "Meh. I'd put it onto the 'maybe' pile of good ideas. (So-so)
    • "There are things we like, and there are things we dislike, but I certainly liked this episode! :D" (Like)
    • "I love the Mane 6, and I love this episode!! <3" (Love!)
    • ...Wait, where the heck was Spike?! :V (???)

2 hours ago, Hierok said:

He is credited as he did though. :ooh: Verybstrange then.

So I've been thinking about this, and it occurred to me that there were a couple call backs this season that I noticed. I don't really ever notice that sort of thing, but I did notice the Foal Free Press callback in A Royal Problem, and Mayor Mare's pink hair in Perfect Pear. Both of those are from Ponyville Confidential, an MA Larson episode. I'm guessing that whoever actually wrote/pieced together Fame and Misfortune, probably Lewis and Songco since they are the editors, went back and watched old MA Larson episodes to get a feel for his writing style. It really felt like a Larson episode, so it makes sense whoever really wrote it would have done their best to capture his style.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

So I've been thinking about this, and it occurred to me that there were a couple call backs this season that I noticed. I don't really ever notice that sort of thing, but I did notice the Foal Free Press callback in A Royal Problem, and Mayor Mare's pink hair in Perfect Pear. Both of those are from Ponyville Confidential, an MA Larson episode. I'm guessing that whoever actually wrote/pieced together Fame and Misfortune, probably Lewis and Songco since they are the editors, went back and watched old MA Larson episodes to get a feel for his writing style. It really felt like a Larson episode, so it makes sense whoever really wrote it would have done their best to capture his style.

Exactly, or they wrote it and Larson himself looked at it and made it his style. I think he at least talked with the creators there.

Just now, Buck Testa said:

The ep should be re-titled too: "Ponies meet the Youtube comment section/Mlp forums" 

You said it! Doesn't change how feel about the Ponies! Everything, even the bad moments (Hard to Say Anything) were worth watching!

• Brohoof 7

Easily the best satire of the brony fandom I've ever seen, and it's from the show itself. :D The cynical part of the brony fandom that is still stuck in 2012 needs this episode, holy Celestia.

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 9

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

:D

Oh, you know me. I tend to be a pompous and tenacious little prick as is befitting of a hater. When I threw my Rarity hate bait into the pond that other day you ate it up hook line and sinker. You were quite relentless and encouraged other Rarity fans to gang on me even though I have said on multiple occasions that I have nothing against those who like her. If that was someone else expressing such a negative opinion that would have likely been their last log-in. So cut the neutrality crap.

See, I am not attacking the episode. It was decent. Better than expected even. I am attacking a particular kind of fan. Masquerading your opinion with ambivalence doesn't make you smart. It makes you a coward. Well, the message came across, I suppose.

I loved Starlight's part in this, this was something I have been hoping for for a while. She took on the task of chastising the ponies being mean to Rarity while Twi went after her friend - deliberately taking a supportive role (besides, I am sure she can be FAR meaner than Twi about such things, even if it is offscreen); she tried her best to console Twi, stayed with Rarity to console her, and went and found the original two fillies to represent the less vocal but more appreciative side of the fandom.

This episode was about the mane 6 and only about the mane 6, but... Starlight was a good choice; not only do we get to see her without it all being ABOUT her, but given how much of this was about Rarity getting hurt and being consoled, Spike would just have been adding fuel to the usual sparity shipping instead of keeping the focus on how hurt the characters are by the opinions they are having forced on them.

Plus, Toola-Roola and Coconut Cream get speaking parts, how cool is that? :D

• Brohoof 8

I think this is my new favorite episode it's there's so much teasing of people like us and it was done in a very clever way, this episode was a work of art and in the end had a pretty mediocre message but who cares about that we got a new song! :love:

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Oh, you know me. I tend to be a pompous and tenacious little prick as is befitting of a hater. When I threw my Rarity hate bait into the pond that other day you ate it up hook line and sinker. You were quite relentless and encouraged other Rarity fans to gang on me even though I have said on multiple occasions that I have nothing against those who like her. If that was someone else expressing such a negative opinion that would have likely been their last log-in. So cut the neutrality crap.

What in God's name are you talking about? Usually when someone says anything negative about that character I usually respond in a joking manner -- most often with a gif reaction. I don't waste time in a true admonishing diatribe on someone's personal tastes.  

Also, there was only one person here who ever earned and received my animosity and I certainly didn't hide it, and it certainly wasn't ever you. And I never said I was neutral. I do disagree with people and will say I disagree when I do, I just don't like to be a prick about it. That isn't me. Sarcastic, sure? Usually I meet the other person with a modicum of respect, or at least retort with a lower amount of sodium than they do. 

You engaged me assuming a meaning and intent I did not say. That's why I replied. Some fans definitely do not like to listen to the other side. Some fans do worship their characters and get bent out of shape when someone mentions a flaw. Some seem to base their entire Brony identity on a dislike of a character. When an episode shows the flaws of both of these approaches, and I anticipate that some aren't going to like it, I'm not calling out haters. I certainly don't sic people on other people. I'm quite capable of elucidating on my own. 

But hey, I'm probably being too rational. 

• Brohoof 7

Just now, VG_Addict said:

Is Spike irrelevant? He wasn't in this episode. 

Well, the reason could be that his voice actor wasn't available - given how meta the whole episode is, they could have mentioned it :D

But I AM surprised at the absence of both Spike and Discord on this one, given both would be expected to jump to the defense of their favored ponies, and it seems an odd coincidence that they weren't around to do so.

1 minute ago, VG_Addict said:

Spike and owlowiscious got mad that neither of them are helping so they're both taking a long hike up the mountains.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, KH7672 said:

Tell me about it. I really wanted to but I wondered if the big names are supposed to do it.

Anyway I very much enjoyed the episode and loved a lot of the meta references (even if a little outdated). Still great to reminisce on all the Season 4 lesson, although is it me or did that book seem to be two lessons light....oh well probably nothing. Wait who's the next episode about?:orly: 

Maybe most of the things brought where outdated, but the central issue was always spot-on: overly criticism, focus on the bad, fandom demands, out of character accusations, character hating, missing the point, making points that weren't intended to be there..... Damn, they attacked with everything :lol: . The only one that is valid was Fluttershy re-learning the same lessons over and over. True, Fluttershy made the valid argument that one single lesson won't change a person overnight, but from the meta point of view, it's jarring. Still, I don't think that part of the fandom was the target of it, but to keep with the point of the over-criticism in general

4 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I really enjoyed this episode.

It was really really meta, and I dig that kinda stuff in media.

We got an enjoyable new song, some funny lines, and I have to admit, it was pretty dang satisfying to see the show staff criticize the fandom's behavior. 

It isn't the first time either, they've seem to be doing one jab at the fandom once per season since S5. Party Pooped would be the first one (though it's just fan speculation as far as I know :huh: ). Second is Stranger than Fanfiction. But this one takes the cake, as it's not only a more blatant jab at the fandom, but pulls practically all sorts of ammo on it :lol: 

3 hours ago, A.V. said:

Problem was, nearly everypony else was just a bunch of flankholes and Karma Houdinis (they weren't just disagreeing like unpleasable fans; they outright harassed and stalked their world-famous heroes (including the Princess Of Friendship -- i.e., freaking royalty) the whole time).

I think the douchebaggery and karma houdini where spot on, as it is to reflect the reality the writers have to face day by day. Many of the rabid criticizers are unpleasant, plus the writers are virtually defenseless against them. I think what you complained about  was intentional to make the point further

Seriously, what is this? Three fantastic episodes IN A ROW :pinkie: ? Sure, this one won't be getting any universal praise due to the triggering meta humor, but damn, whoever wrote this:

c2af6e75cf5dc5ea3561848f3ae1fa9d2113b577

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

He was irrelevant for this episode, yes.

It was a pretty fun episode for me, certainly enjoyable overall, and I laughed at the parallels between the ponies in the show, and the real life "fans" they were obviously modeled around. I am sure youboohootube will soon be overflowing with the reaction videos with the infamous "THAT IS NOT HOW WE ARE!" lines in them. Either that or the long 30 minute video about why moment X was better than Moment Y that no one ever finishes watching because the side panel has a video of kittens playing Atari on it and that video won't watch itself. That being said, although I liked it, it still falls behind several episodes I much more preferred this season.

I really enjoyed how several of the characters reacted individually to their new found fame. Rarity was having an almost Lesson Zero look of her own going there. It will be creeping into avatars in a forum near you shortly.

I would give it a 7/10

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

Possibly because they don't want to spoiler future episodes?

I don't think that's the point. The point is: THEY BASICALLY REVEALED TO ALL THE WORLD THAT DARING DO IS LEGIT :blink: . But guess the ponies where so busy for their bicker they they didn't notice that little detail :D 

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, SaburoDaimando said:

He's got center stage next weekend with Ember and Thorax.

Hoping that one exceeds expectations too. Seen a fair few eps so far where the plot synopsis was poor, but the episode itself rocked....

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

I don't think that's the point. The point is: THEY BASICALLY REVEALED TO ALL THE WORLD THAT DARING DO IS LEGIT :blink: . But guess the ponies where so busy for their bicker they they didn't notice that little detail :D 

Yup, it doesn't explain the other ponies not noticing - but given there is an upcoming DD eps in less than a month...

8 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Hoping that one exceeds expectations too. Seen a fair few eps so far where the plot synopsis was poor, but the episode itself rocked....

Yup, it doesn't explain the other ponies not noticing - but given there is an upcoming DD eps in less than a month...

Yep. Now I'm curious if the Journal being released will be the reason she retires. 

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

I just noticed in the scene where the fan ponies are arguing about the mane six, you notice this mare who's cutie mark is a glass of water. Kind of reminds me of a certain not well liked mlp critic in the fandom who I shall not say the name of...

holy shit.PNG

Could anyone fill me up with that? I'm kind in the dark on that one :huh: