Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E14 - Fame and Misfortune

PinkiePie97

Share your thoughts!  

172 users have voted

1. 1. Share your thoughts!

• "Are you kidding me?! This episode should've stayed dead and buried like Twilicorn!" (Hate it!)
    • "Typical. Just like the Mane 6's characters, they've slipped backwards again." (Dislike it)
    • "Meh. I'd put it onto the 'maybe' pile of good ideas. (So-so)
    • "There are things we like, and there are things we dislike, but I certainly liked this episode! :D" (Like)
    • "I love the Mane 6, and I love this episode!! <3" (Love!)
    • ...Wait, where the heck was Spike?! :V (???)

12 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I doubt he would have gone that far, but certainly whatever Starlight did would pale in comparison. At a guess burnt off their manes leaving them bald...

Discord now, seeing a scared and cowering Flutters... that would NOT have ended well for them.

If Spike and Discord would've taken the matters into their own hands like that, maybe they weren't in it just so the episode wouldn't get too intense. ^_^

4 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

If Spike and Discord would've taken the matters into their own hands like that, maybe they weren't in it just so the episode wouldn't get too intense. ^_^

It also gave Starlight a chance to be supportive and Fluttershy a chance to speak for herself - both good results.

• Brohoof 2

27 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I think Spike would have killed those ponies who insulted Rarity.

He probably would've been mad. but I don't think he's the kind of person to kill someone.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

DWK would say, it's so meta I think I'm gonna have a psychotic break.  What have we become?  We made this.  We, every single one of us, created this.

Yes, we created this. AND I WANTED THIS. :pinkie:

I cant wait to him having another psychotic break. :muffins: No matter how many problems you have in an episode, he will make it enjoyable to you in some ways, the episode has nothing to talk about is not DWK's material.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Spike doesn't work as a stand-in for Starlight because he's also in the journals, though his lack of appearance was odd. Even the CMC got addressed.

You got it backwards. Starlight is the stand-in. And even though he is in the journals, he has his fame and pony fans handled. Mane 6 could have used a bit of Spike life coaching. Anyway, have you seen the trailer for the new episode? I have a pretty good idea why he was missing.

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

He's too nice to actually do it, but maybe he'd think about it.

It needs to be added by either the OP or staff. 

@PinkiePie97 you game? 

@PathfinderCS, @Dark Horse, @Fhaolan ... can you guys slot this into the Season 7 Forum when you get the chance? 

I actually am thoroughly enjoying the diverse opinions some here had regarding this episode. I can't wait until the poll does open to see how everyone's opinion ultimately is measured. 

1 minute ago, Goat-kun said:

You got it backwards. Starlight is the stand-in. And even though he is in the journals, he has his fame and pony fans handled. Mane 6 could have used a bit of Spike life coaching. Anyway, have you seen the trailer for the new episode? I have a pretty good idea why he was missing.

That's an interesting point considering they have made it apparent that even though he has let his Crystal Empire fame go to his head from time to time, he at least has experience with blind adoration. It would have been great to see his take on the events of this episode. 

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to S07:E14 - Fame and Misfortune
1 minute ago, Jeric said:

@PathfinderCS, @Dark Horse, @Fhaolan ... can you guys slot this into the Season 7 Forum when you get the chance? 

Sorted that now, sorry about that. I forgot that Path is away at Bronycon this weekend so the episode thread wasn't prepared. ^^;

• Brohoof 2

What a weird ending. To me it felt as though the episode would have been better off if it ended with the lesson taught in the song. The other ponies could gradually start to realize that the main characters aren't perfect and that they're just trying the best they can. It's okay if Fluttershy isn't always assertive, it's okay if Rarity is too whiny sometimes, etc. 

I didn't like that the episode ended without really solving the problem. I sorta got the feeling of "let's try to wrap it up with the song, oh wait we still have some time left so let's add in something else". I'm sure that's not how it was planned but the direction was just a bit off.

25 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

What a weird ending. To me it felt as though the episode would have been better off if it ended with the lesson taught in the song. The other ponies could gradually start to realize that the main characters aren't perfect and that they're just trying the best they can. It's okay if Fluttershy isn't always assertive, it's okay if Rarity is too whiny sometimes, etc. 

I didn't like that the episode ended without really solving the problem. I sorta got the feeling of "let's try to wrap it up with the song, oh wait we still have some time left so let's add in something else". I'm sure that's not how it was planned but the direction was just a bit off.

The ponies outside were a kind of reflection (or at least of some elements) of the MLP fandom in real life. As long as the MLP series exists, there will always be these kind of discussions or groups within the fandom. It's something that won't end and can't be solved anytime soon, and I think that's what they were going for in this episode.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, JH24 said:

The ponies outside were a kind of reflection (or at least of some elements) of the MLP fandom in real life. As long as the MLp series exists, there will always be these kind of discussions or groups within the fandom. It's something that won't end anytime soon, and I think that's what they were going for in this episode.

They didn't solve this "problem" in order to make a fun comparison with the fandom in the real world. Because it can't be solved as what we saw in the episode will always be a part of any fandom, no matter what kind of series it's about.

Except in the actual episode, it's not the brony fandom. I guess I've just never been a fan of "meta episodes" (I hated Slice of Life) probably because I'm just not involved in the fandom very much. 

Just now, SparklingSwirls said:

I guess I've just never been a fan of "meta episodes" (I hated Slice of Life) probably because I'm just not involved in the fandom very much. 

Meta episodes can be good if done right.

SoL works, because it focused on story first and really weaved the references in well.

Stranger Than FF has both good and bad. The con jabbed at fandom culture, but approaches it in such a tongue-in-cheek way that the jokes make sense and are done in a "we're-laughing-with-you" manner. The one problem is how Quibble was portrayed; conversely, the audience knows that he's still a good person and makes it up.

Fame is how NOT to write a FIM meta episode. Rather than welcoming, the atmosphere's really mean-spirited, and every adult portrayed here aside from the RM7 is a stereotype, a jerk, or both.

• Brohoof 5

21 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Except in the actual episode, it's not the brony fandom. I guess I've just never been a fan of "meta episodes" (I hated Slice of Life) probably because I'm just not involved in the fandom very much. 

I understand what you mean. The ponies in this episode aren't a literal representation of the fandom, it's more a kind of episode that makes a few fun jokes about some discussions and opinions among some of the fans. In a "normal" episode the song would likely have solved the issues with the fan ponies, but in this episode they linked it to the real world and just let the issue remain unresolved. 

This is just something that exists in almost every fandom, although some fandoms are a bit more fanatic than others.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I think it just comes down to a preference. I like to keep the show and fandom seperate, but I get why people think it's funny when the show jabs at the fandom. Just not my kind of humor I guess :S

4 minutes ago, JH24 said:

In a "normal" episode the song would likely have solved the issues with the fan ponies, but in this episode they linked it to the real world and just let the issue remain unresolved. 

Yeah I agree. I feel like they missed out on a good lesson here for the fan ponies, but eh what can you do.

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Yeah I agree. I feel like they missed out on a good lesson here for the fan ponies, but eh what can you do.

You're right, I agree with you. But it also makes the episode unique in its own way. I liked how the two fillies did understand the lesson/moral and what was really important. Seeing the genuinely happy/relieved reactions of the Mane 6 was heartwarming.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, A.V. said:

Trust me -- the Take That, Audience! stuff didn't bother me at all (especially since FIM >>>>>>>>> Teen Titans Go! in that regard).

What did bother me was the mob being too similar to the Springfieldians in the Simpsons episode "The Boys Of Bummer."

You and @Dark Qiviut hit the nail on the head with the journal fans: They're cutouts and don't seem like realistic portrayals of the real fandom. In fact, they're so one-note they reminded me of another mob of ponies who acted stupid and wouldn't leave a little dragon alone while he tried to do his job of allowing a certain princess some time to rest... <_<

11 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Her advantage is her clean proflie :orly: Spike was heavily criticized in Season 1,2,3 and 4, he will become the ultimate butt monkey if he appear in this ep, he cant help anyone because he will be victim himself because of those "Bad Spike episodes". Spike received so much respects in S6, I dont think Spike fan like to see himself being tortured RIGHT!? :orly:

I have no problems with Spike facing serious conflict (and, in fact, have been accused of Spikeabuse in my fanfics... ._. ) and would have laughed if he got entangled with all the fans of the journal with the rest of the cast. I guess being in on the joke is more important than having to stand on the sidelines just watching for me. :lol:

I want to think there was a scene that went on behind the show title sequence where upon finding out Twilight was going to release the journal to the public, Spike suddenly felt a tremor in the force and immediately took off on a visit to Ember -  not wanting to get blamed again like the LAST time mobs of ponies came running to him with inane questions. :sunshower:

8 hours ago, Compeador said:

this episode is basically our fandom in a nutshell lol

at least they didn't referenced the r34, right?

They could of safely shown ponies selling body pillows of the Mane 6 and Spike; after all, they did that joke once before. ;)

Seriously, though, I was expecting at least one pony ask the question of whether any of the Mane 6 were dating one another. 

2 hours ago, Jaspers said:

Spike is to Rarity as Discord is to Fluttershy, so your point is well taken. Maybe Spike would have just sent those ponies off to Celestia just so they would be out of the way for the rest of the day? :lol: (presuming he remembers to use the correct flame... <_< )

43 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Alright guys! The poll is live!! Go and share your thoughts!

The last poll question is perfect and is probably a first for this series. *selects*

I must admit, going from being all leaky-faced from rewatching "The Perfect Pear" to THIS episode in span of a few minutes yesterday was more than a bit jarring... =P

• Brohoof 4

42 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

SoL works, because it focused on story first and really weaved the references in well.

Stranger Than FF has both good and bad. The con jabbed at fandom culture, but approaches it in such a tongue-in-cheek way that the jokes make sense and are done in a "we're-laughing-with-you" manner. The one problem is how Quibble was portrayed; conversely, the audience knows that he's still a good person and makes it up.

Fame is how NOT to write a FIM meta episode. Rather than welcoming, the atmosphere's really mean-spirited, and every adult portrayed here aside from the RM7 is a stereotype, a jerk, or both.

Jerks and stereotypes coming off as negative do not mean its a bad episode. If people get mad its because they think its about them which means they should be taking a look in the mirror. For all you know its a vocal minority, not a majority of people being referenced here. I do not like this attitude of 'this episode made me feel bad so it is bad' that's the most childish thing ever. That's like saying Rick n Morty is bad because it approaches subjects that make you uncomfortable or that Family Guy was always bad because it makes fun of the audience. You are just being sensitive. The episode was funny, if you are salty that's because you want to feel justified and identify more with the jerks. And no, background adults were not being jerks. Just they were a silent majority compared to a vocal minority. And by background I mean the ones that we don't see joining the crowd, the ones that never show up from other episodes they used to background in. We don't see Time Turner Lyra Derpy etc. So if you think its literally dissing every adult fan get real. Its just dissing the vocal minority. Which you might be a part of considering you judge episodes for a blog hobby. But no show technically should be immune to criticism just its when you get Mean Spirited it hurts enjoyment right?

Man, oh, man, Hard to Say Anything is unadulterated shit. A failure of epic proportions not seen since PPOV.

Where. Do. I. Even. Start?

I only watched this episode after Canada released it, and I haven't budged. This episode is an effin' mess.

Since her disastrous performance in Rainbow Falls (then again, everyone there was disastrous ;)),

There's several degrees of mediocre and -20 degrees of awful. Since Wonderbolts Academy, Dash episodes have become Spike episodes. The only difference is Gauntlet of Fire is objectively good. Daring Don't, Rainbow Falls, and Tanks for the Memories are pitiful.

Seems like you are identifying with them, how about you take a look in the mirror instead of saying the episode is bad for personal reasons. If many enjoyed the episode it objectively can't be bad. Funny how you say its mean spirited, when that's what you do.

• Brohoof 3