Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike being absent this season.

CastletonSnob

11 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

Random: I have a bad feeling about Triple Threats...

Me too, but I don't know why. I guess I will be cringing during the whole of the episode. 

On 14/08/2017 at 5:59 AM, VG_Addict said:

What happened? Why is Spike back to being an afterthought after Season 6?

One possible reason is that Twilight herself has had so little screen time. In 14 episodes so far, she has only appeared in 8 of them, and one was only as a background pony.

The CMC's had three episodes back-to-back, which is highly unusual. Spike has little reason to be in those.

23 hours ago, Jeric said:

I'm almost expecting that to be a Spike and Twilight episode. Who knows, maybe it's when we get to find out about the egg. 

This is something I believe is overdue. We have seen many episodes focusing on various relationships, but not Spike and Twilight. They are often seen together, but as part of some other story, not about the two specifically. Fans are left to poke through the episodes to get scraps about their relationship, but there is no real meat. A true Twispike episode is what I am hoping for.

6 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Random: I have a bad feeling about Triple Threats...

I have angst about it too. The premise has a lot of potential, but can be mishandled, and thus be a major let down.

Again, there will be other opportunities for Spike to shine! To Change a Changeling is a possible candidate, Isn't the Mane Thing About You has a potential spot for him, but neither of those are as likely as Once Upon a Zeppelin! I swear if Spike doesn't go with Twilight and her family to the cruise and isn't treated as family, I'm gonna be pissed! Spike's biological family doesn't seem likely this season, but since this a family season, this is the best he's gonna get until a future season! ;) Uncommon Bond is likely his episode since he still needs his second starring role though. However, if none or just one of these happen, you're in for a big blast of Spike in season 8 to make up for it! :D Maybe he's just absent cause his big season is coming, and the writers just don't wanna overdue it for him.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, zaighster said:

One possible reason is that Twilight herself has had so little screen time. In 14 episodes so far, she has only appeared in 8 of them, and one was only as a background pony.

Twilight's arc has been done since she became a princess. What else is really there for her in terms of development?

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Twilight's arc has been done since she became a princess. What else is really there for her in terms of development?

The point is that Spike is Twilight's sidekick. While he has had some breakout, he is not a truly independent character. If the focus isn't specifically about him or her, Spike has very little role to play. Therefore, no Twilight = no Spike (mostly).

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Same thing comics have been doing for decades -- when a big milestone is reached. You create a new motivation or arc. 

5 minutes ago, zaighster said:

The point is that Spike is Twilight's sidekick. While he has had some breakout, he is not a truly independent character. If the focus isn't specifically about him or her, Spike has very little role to play. Therefore, no Twilight = no Spike (mostly).

And no Spike = no Twilight! They need eachother!

• Brohoof 2

On 8/13/2017 at 3:59 PM, VG_Addict said:

So, Spike wasn't in yesterday's episode, even though he would have been perfect in it, and he won't be in To Change a Changeling, even though he's Thorax's friend.

What happened? Why is Spike back to being an afterthought after Season 6?

Spike and starlight often play redundant roles to each other; Starlight usually acts as twilight's magical assistant in situations (Spike would have seamlessly worked in starlight's place yesterday in pretty much every situation), and when she's around it kind of gets rid of the need to have Spike around for twilight to monologue her ideas to.

its kind of like why I don't want Sunset in FIM (Sunset and pony twilight would then become redundant with EACH OTHER), you generally want to avoid making characters step on each others toes in group chemistry.

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Spike and starlight often play redundant roles to each other; Starlight usually acts as twilight's magical assistant in situations (Spike would have seamlessly worked in starlight's place yesterday in pretty much every situation), and when she's around it kind of gets rid of the need to have Spike around for twilight to monologue her ideas to.

its kind of like why I don't want Sunset in FIM (Sunset and pony twilight would then become redundant with EACH OTHER), you generally want to avoid making characters step on each others toes in group chemistry.

Fair point. I think the Spike / Starlight redundancy could be resolved better by adjusting Spike's duties and role on the show. Something I think they are in the process of doing. 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

After becoming a Princess, she became a teacher, for Celestia's sakes! Her arc didn't end since Season 3. She'll always have more to learn.

"Testing, Testing 1, 2, 3" is proof of that as she was the one who wrote in the Friendship Journal about learning how there's more than one way to study. Or how in "What About Discord", she learned how just because she's the Princess of Friendship doesn't mean she can't get jealous. Anyone can get jealous, and that's okay.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Fair point. I think the Spike / Starlight redundancy could be resolved better by adjusting Spike's duties and role on the show. Something I think they are in the process of doing. 

What do you think his new duties and role will be?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, VG_Addict said:

What do you think his new duties and role will be?

Spike, Equestria's newest ambassador! Keep Equestria's relationships with other species alive! He's the best at that! :D

• Brohoof 4

12 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

There are some episodes which should include Spike but they didnt, nothing new.

Spike really does deserve more love than what he currently gets.

On 15/08/2017 at 10:13 AM, Unlikeable Pony said:

I had another look at Fame and Misfortune, and it appears you are right. If this isn't a one off anomaly, then Starlight has replaced Spike as Twilight's #1 assistant. This has been a major fear of Spike throughout out the show, and it seems to have come to pass. Of course, Spike would still be expected to do the dishes, effectively demoting him to 'domestic help'.

Poor Spike.

I wonder if the writers will pick up on this and we'll see some episodes where Spike reacts to this change in status, or will it be ignored and we are all expected to pretend this was never an issue to being with? Considering the unpopularity of the show's handling of it in the past, I suspect it will be the latter.