Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want to get into this again, but I'm a little nervous

SuperFamipony

I used to be a big fan of MLP back when I was in high school, me and my two best friends always watched the show and talked about it a lot, I remember one of them did an extensive online shopping run to replace the majority of his wardrobe with MLP t-shirts and parkas, and as for me I always partook in the community online. Then season 3 ended, we waited for season 4, I missed a few episodes and decided to wait and marathon it at the end of the season and then somehow a friend talked me out of it. I can't remember if it had something to do with the fanbase or the shorter season, or just that I thought the guy was an ass and that there were a lot of people like him in the community at the time but anyway I just kinda dropped it.

Fast forward to now. It's 2017, I now live in Japan (I'm from America) and I'm engaged to be married (wedding is next month). I used to make chiptunes and sheet music and stuff and put them online a little bit. I remembered that randomly last night and then I managed to find my old channel! Now all day today I've been humming Smile Smile Smile and I thought I'd check in on the community again. I see we're on season 7 now, but on the downside every way in which I used to engage in the community has died. The forum I used is gone (Equestria Forever), the site I uploaded sheet music too and was a staff of is gone (Everypony Sings), and th site where I uploaded MP3's and found lots of other stuff to listen to is also gone. I checked Equestria Daily and they're still there and then I found you guys, so my assumption was the people running those sites moved on.

I really enjoyed being part of these communities, I found a lot of similarly strange people within the fandom and made some friends and I felt like that was good for me at the time. And the show was enjoyable. So I'd like to get back to that now, but I'm nervous.

My fiance is Japanese, I've got no clue at all what she would even think about this. If I had to explain to her that this was a thing that happened in America when I was a teenager, and that this was kind of a popular thing among young guys at the time, I'm honestly not sure what she would think or say lol. I love her, she loves me and she knows I'm a pretty childish (in terms of my interests) but I'm still a bit nervous. I'm not afraid that she would leave me, but I don't want to confuse her. It's something I've never talked about with her because I've been so distanced from the fandom for so long now.

Basically I'm going to watch the show when she's not home and engage in the fandom online and basically keep it from her. Am I doing a bad thing by just not disclosing my interest to her? I'm not a person who keeps secrets from their partner, I'd tell her if she confronted me about it, but I'm also not going to be like "hey honey I watch My Little Pony, lots of guys in my home country do this".

Have any of you been in this situation? Do you keep your interest in this series as a part of your private life? Does your significant other know that you like cartoon ponies and that the song you keep humming is about how you want to make everyone smile smile smile?

A side question, are bronies a thing in Japan? That leads into my concern that if anyone were to find out, I really don't know how they would react here lol. Hence my wanting to keep it private.

• Brohoof 1

Well, if you want it, go for it. It is always nice to have more people here. 

• Have any of you been in this situation? 

Nope, I did not, but I'm only two year fan, so maybe it is gonna happen.

• Do you keep your interest in this series as a part of your private life?

Yes. I don't like for people to know.

• Does your significant other know that you like cartoon ponies and that the song you keep humming is about how you want to make everyone smile smile smile?

My nephew and littlest brother.

I'm in a fairly similar position to you. I too was a fan long ago (2012) and resided on this very forum! I still find my posts from my younger self amusing to read. Anyways, I followed up to season 3 and then dropped off the fandom completely, many life changing events and five years later, here I am. I can understand how you can be nervous in keeping this from others as it's not any easier to do when you're in the military. Though in the question of your spouse knowing, I personally think that couples must retain some parts of their lives to themselves in order to have some space and honestly if this fandom is something you do as a casual interest for community, then continue to participate discretely. If she happens to ask about it, be truthful but realize you don't need to inform her of all your hobbies unless they affect your lifestyle in a major way (and therefore hers as well). Especially if all you do is post here on your free time and enjoy the show/fan made content, not really a big deal nor does it actually majorly affect anyone or anything.

• Brohoof 1

Don't involve her if you don't want to, but I would strongly advise against actively hiding it or denying it or anything.

Liking this show is nothing to be ashamed of, so don't act like it is and most people won't care.

I have to apologize. I started your thread under the assumption that it was another 'state of the fandom' thread. Boy was I wrong. There is a lot to unpack here. 

First, if you still want a website to upload your music, check out https://pony.fm. You could always recreate Everypony Sings yourself. In fact, I'm putting that on my list of things to do if you don't take it up. I wasn't aware that site was shuttered. 

Let's get into the actual meat and potatoes of your post, and the part that intrigues me the most. 

5 hours ago, SuperFamipony said:

Basically I'm going to watch the show when she's not home and engage in the fandom online and basically keep it from her. Am I doing a bad thing by just not disclosing my interest to her? I'm not a person who keeps secrets from their partner, I'd tell her if she confronted me about it, but I'm also not going to be like "hey honey I watch My Little Pony, lots of guys in my home country do this".

Welcome to the 60% 

Easterling, B., Knox, D., & Brackett, A. (2012). Secrets in Romantic Relationships: Does Sexual Orientation Matter?. Journal Of GLBT Family Studies, 8(2), 196-208. doi:10.1080/1550428X.2011.623928

While that study from Tennessee looks to focus on same sex relationships, its control was hetero relationships since they were trying to determine if one group kept more secrets than others. More than half of the respondents they had kept one secret from their significant other. 25% currently are. 

Those that know me here know I was in a relationship with a person for over 20 years. Did we have minor secrets like things we liked it disliked? Yes. Some things I didn't even know about until after my wife passed away. None were what one would say are relationship ending secrets. For example, my wife was Wiccan who was raised Catholic. While I knew she still held some Catholic views, I didn't realize until the end and until afterward how much of her old religious Faith she still believed in and Incorporated. 

There were other minor secrets she had that she felt were her personal secrets. She kept a series of journals that really delved into a lot I did not know. Some we never talked about. Guess what? I had a few minor ones myself. None were things that would destroy a marriage. There were things she liked I didn't and I kept quiet. She had quirks that annoyed me and I didn't tell her for years. 

And we had a very very close relationship. Because you are married doesn't mean you are  privileged  to know every thought of your significant other. Keep that in mind. But, it still depends on the other person. If you are engaged to a person who has trust issues and/or had a bad relationship due to lies, this would be a more sensitive topic. Culture also matters. Some cultures are more private than others. 

In the end, it's a hobby and a taste of yours. Provided it doesn't become an obsession, I see no issues with telling her you are watching the show again. If you do decide to keep it hidden for now, that's your call. You know her better than us. I wouldn't be able to to predict her reaction since I don't know her or her history. 

But you are not immoral for not telling her about it. If she ever asks, that's a different story. People keep secrets like this all the time. It isn't usually a reflection of their character or a measurement of their relationship if the secret is like this. 

• Brohoof 2

Interesting you're back after such a long absence. Regarding your situation, I don't see the need for you to tell her about you watching ponies again, but it neither something you should actively hide from her. Just enjoy it as usual and when she finds out, just explain her what they hook-up on you. That's not a marriage-ending secret, plus she must have some quirks either hiding or just she considers not important for you to know too.

About ponies in Japan, I'm not sure how they fare over there. I think they've stopped airing since S2's finale, but I think Equestria Girls is popular for japs, I'm just not sure if FiM is still continuing :huh: