Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Original "Fame and Misfortune" Script Speculation

KH7672

It's been said by M.A. Larson himself that this episode while it has his name on it has gone through so many rewrites, he no longer considers it his. The final version of the episode has gotten a lot of mixed reception, especially on the part of the townsponies behavior. So would his version been any better for these characters?

Two things I have seen:

-Larson was defending and distancing himself from the script, via Twitter on Saturday, when it came to those on the nose fandom parallels so maybe he didn't originally make the townsponies as intolerable. However...

-The second thing we've speculated is some of Starlight's role originally being for Spike, especially when it comes to defending and watching over Rarity and the scene with Twilight depressed in the castle. The thing is this would mean Rarity still was upset in the original script, so were the townponies still going to be just as intolerable just not with as much fandom parallels.

What do you think?

I am still not sure why Starlight was in this episode, honestly, Spike would be better in her place. Starlight is not that close with the Mane 6, so I am not sure what she is doing here.

But, I'll have to see this script for me to review it.

Doesnt matter, what's done is done, i am fine with the way this episode is. I realized Starlight role in this episode should belong to Spike, but this is S7 and that script is old so they have to fix to suit whatever they want to do with future seasons (cant expect to bring S1-5 scripts to S7 without any rewritting). They dont want Spike in this ep then Spike is not in this ep, that is their final product.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, SpiBaz said:

I am still not sure why Starlight was in this episode, honestly, Spike would be better in her place. Starlight is not that close with the Mane 6, so I am not sure what she is doing here.

I rather had Spike talk to those ponies and Starlight staying with Rarity. Later when Starlight came back from Rarity, Spike could be comforting Twilight while she was depressed. :grin:

• Brohoof 1

35 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

Doesnt matter, what's done is done, i am fine with the way this episode is. I realized Starlight role in this episode should belong to Spike, but this is S7 and that script is old so they have to fix to suit whatever they want to do with future seasons (cant expect to bring S1-5 scripts to S7 without any rewritting). They dont want Spike in this ep then Spike is not in this ep, that is their final product.

I think you're taking the wrong stance with this. I'm not implying anything regarding which characters fit better. I'm implying would M.A. Larson's original S5 script have still included the townsponies behavior that so many people are turned off by or was it going to be like that from the start. This is no rant or review, just simple speculation of what did the original script actually include and what was added.

I agree with some of the other posters here and think that it dosen't matter if the original script was different or not. Episode aired and that's that.

I think making the townsfolk like that was important. If they just did a half-flanked job like "well, we wanna take a jab at the fandom, but we don't wanna hurt anyones feelings" it would've been a desaster. If you do a parody, go full force.

• Brohoof 7

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

I think you're taking the wrong stance with this. I'm not implying anything regarding which characters fit better. I'm implying would M.A. Larson's original S5 script have still included the townsponies behavior that so many people are turned off by or was it going to be like that from the start. This is no rant or review, just simple speculation of what did the original script actually include and what was added.

Uh, okay... Look like i am a party pooper, huh? :lie:

About the topic, Larson's original script has been written many times that is no longer his script so it hard to speculate what is his and what is being rewriten. There are my speculations based from his performances in S5 as writer and story editor:

- Based from his 'Slice of Life' and 'Amending Fences', he is really clever with background ponies and use them in more meaningful ways so what happened to Town Ponies in 'Fame' may be not his ideas.

- Spike still a butt monkey in S5, so it could be he will be criticized like the rest of mane 6.

- Twilight comments about 'friendship is worth fighting for' is reference to his own epsode 'Return of Harmony' so it could be his original idea. MAYBE his episode ideas is about friendship letters, not the journal, i could be wrong...

- The conflict may be resolved in more dramatic ways, his original ideas for episodes like Slice of Life and Make Friend but Keep Discord are more dramatic than the actual episode.

- Slice of Life is the reason this script is scrapped because two meta episode in the same season is too much.

- The show started to poke fun at fandom's criticism, brony activities   or the adult audience themself in Season 6 such as Stranger than fanfiction, Flutter Brutter, Spice Up Your Life, you can see more and more episodes has targeted toward US after S5. So i think the idea of satiring the fandom toxicity in 'Fame' in such biting manner could be... not Larson ideas at all...

Just my random thoughts pop out of my head... I dont know wtf did i just typed... :blink:

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, SpiBaz said:

Spike would fit better being ignored by ponies and threatening others?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Spike would fit better being ignored by ponies and threatening others?

Yep, remember Owl's Well That Ends Well? Spike was ignored by everyone (at least before the last act)

And also Secret Of My Excess for the threatening part.

2 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

I agree with some of the other posters here and think that it dosen't matter if the original script was different or not. Episode aired and that's that.

I think making the townsfolk like that was important. If they just did a half-flanked job like "well, we wanna take a jab at the fandom, but we don't wanna hurt anyones feelings" it would've been a desaster. If you do a parody, go full force.

I see that any  attempts of good jokes while keep being politically correct are just that: attempts. The world of art is hurting because of this huge wave of being politically correct and pleasing everyone, so yeah, fuck that shit and use all your guns, or we'll end with some Christmas play by Philip Glass, LIKE IN SOUTH PARK :D

21 minutes ago, SpiBaz said:

Yep, remember Owl's Well That Ends Well? Spike was ignored by everyone (at least before the last act)

And also Secret Of My Excess for the threatening part.

Spike has entrees in the journal, the townsfolk would surely comment on what he does?

You can honestly see spike walking up and basically threatening a random pony for arguing with Twilight

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, SpiBaz said:

Pretty much the main reason I can see is that the writers were trying to push her in the episode as a friend of the mane six and show fans how she is actually interacting with them as a friend and not just a plot device-- all criticism that has been levied against her in comparison to Sunset's chemistry with the human six.

I would rather have had spike, but I can understand the writers seeing this as an opportunity to try and build her as a character with an actual relationship to the six. (I think they FAILED at that since her interactions were basically all offscreen, being a "I'll stay with them" and then cuts away, but I see the effort.)

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 1