Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unofficial Brony Conventions

twilightsparkle3562

So, with the news that Nightmare Nights in Dallas is ending, it brings about the question of which Conventions will go long into the future.  The only way the circuit is going to survive for the foreseeable future is that the market has to consolidate to a few official cons, maybe 5 or 6 long term.  Any other cons will need to either come back every other year or just go for one year and then go into the history books.  These proposed long term cons are:

1. Bronycon in Baltimore, MD

2. Everfree Northwest in Seattle, WA

3. BABSCon in San Francisco, CA

4. Trotcon in Columbus, OH

5. Galacon in Ludwigsburg, Germany

What do you think?

• Brohoof 2

I dunno. I'd add Ponyville Ciderfest Oktoberfest in Milwaukee, WI to that line up. Been doing a steadily climbing attendance for the past three years now. Last year was the highest attended thus far. And this year already has had the two highest sponsorship passes sold out. Those passes are worth $800 and $1800 respectively. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

Really, the market is oversaturated anyway. I am not saying that I wish some conventions would close but I understand that long term they are going to have to. I mean if we take just the east coast of America we have Bronycon, PoNYcon, Fillycon, and HasCon (do we count that?) And probably more that I am not thinking of. THAT IS WAY TO MANY!!! I can only speak to the American market as I am not knowledgeable enough on the international conventions.

I would say one on the East coast (most likely Bronycon)

One on the west coast (most likely BABS)

And one the central America (probably Trotcon)

Crystal Mountain Pony Con in Salt Lake City has been going for a few years and, until this year, had steadily climbing attendance. I could see that con going for a few more years as a more centrally located event.  As much as I enjoy working for Running of the Leaves Con in Denver, and as convenient as it is to have a con nearby, I honestly can't see it surviving for more than another year or two given how things have been going each year.

Indeed the market is flooded. For we have:

• Bronycon
  • Ponyville Ciderfest
  • Whinny City Ponycon
  • Nightmare Nights Dallas
  • Everfree Northwest
  • BABScon
  • poNYCon
  • Crystal Mountain Ponycon
  • Trotcon
  • BronyCAN
  • Equestria LA
  • Pacific Ponycon

I don't even think there are that many anime, comic or gaming conventions in the U.S.

Not to mention that as MLP gets more distribution worldwide, more cons are gonna sprout abroad. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2

18 hours ago, FlitterFlutter said:

Really, the market is oversaturated anyway. I am not saying that I wish some conventions would close but I understand that long term they are going to have to. I mean if we take just the east coast of America we have Bronycon, PoNYcon, Fillycon, and HasCon (do we count that?) And probably more that I am not thinking of. THAT IS WAY TO MANY!!! I can only speak to the American market as I am not knowledgeable enough on the international conventions.

I would say one on the East coast (most likely Bronycon)

One on the west coast (most likely BABS)

And one the central America (probably Trotcon)

True, but Everfree Northwest should be an unofficial con.  They specialize in allowing kids to be first in line for panels; be the unofficial fanfiction hub for the fandom and is a non-profit organization.

(edited)
On 8/18/2017 at 10:39 PM, Denim&Venom said:

I dunno. I'd add Ponyville Ciderfest Oktoberfest in Milwaukee, WI to that line up. Been doing a steadily climbing attendance for the past three years now. Last year was the highest attended thus far. And this year already has had the two highest sponsorship passes sold out. Those passes are worth $800 and $1800 respectively. 

Probably would make one of the unofficial Midwest cons.  If we had to choose be region, it would be the following:

Eastern United States:

Bronycon in Baltimore, MD

Trotcon in Columbus, OH

Central United States:

Whinny City Pony Con in Chicago, IL

Ponyville Ciderfest in Milwaukee, WI

Western United States:

Babscon in San Francisco, CA

Everfree Northwest in Seattle, WA

On 8/18/2017 at 11:04 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Indeed the market is flooded. For we have:

• Bronycon
  • Ponyville Ciderfest
  • Whinny City Ponycon
  • Nightmare Nights Dallas
  • Everfree Northwest
  • BABScon
  • poNYCon
  • Crystal Mountain Ponycon
  • Trotcon
  • BronyCAN
  • Equestria LA
  • Pacific Ponycon

I don't even think there are that many anime, comic or gaming conventions in the U.S.

Not to mention that as MLP gets more distribution worldwide, more cons are gonna sprout abroad. 

I think that had BronyCAN not be located in Vancouver near Seattle and instead located in say, Toronto or Montreal, it would have had a better chance of survival.  Trust me, they had just too much competition with Everfree Northwest.  

Edited by twilightsparkle3562
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 8/18/2017 at 10:48 PM, zenith32 said:

Crystal Mountain Pony Con in Salt Lake City has been going for a few years and, until this year, had steadily climbing attendance. I could see that con going for a few more years as a more centrally located event.  As much as I enjoy working for Running of the Leaves Con in Denver, and as convenient as it is to have a con nearby, I honestly can't see it surviving for more than another year or two given how things have been going each year.

Yeah, from the looks of it, Running of the Leaves seems to be a very badly run con.  I mean, they are holding their convention in FEBRUARY for crying in loud which is bad because its in the dead of winter which is when it is Snowmageddon in Colorado.

I don't know what other things are going on, but I won't be taking my business to them anytime soon.

14 hours ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

Yeah, from the looks of it, Running of the Leaves seems to be a very badly run con.  I mean, they are holding their convention in FEBRUARY for crying in loud which is bad because its in the dead of winter which is when it is Snowmageddon in Colorado.

I don't know what other things are going on, but I won't be taking my business to them anytime soon.

Our decision to run in February is actually an attempt to avoid competition with other MLP cons running around the same time we normally do. Besides, having been a resident of Colorado for over 20 years and especially noting the general trends for weather over the last few winters, February isn't really a month for snow, just colder temperatures (In fact, statistically March is the snowiest month for Colorado). This table shows average snowfall across Colorado for the month of February from 1981 to 2010. For the Front Range/Eastern Colorado amounts, that usually represents one, maybe two snow storms for the entire month, so for us we felt February would be our best shot without having to compete with other, larger cons (like BABS and Everfree) or big holidays in November and December.  Point being, the chances of snow being much more than an annoyance for the Denver area in February.

We're also striving to make the event free to attend for everyone, so stating that you won't be 'taking your business' to us is...kind of a moot point.

I'm quite sad that BronyCAN is ending, but I'm thankful we had it as I'm not nearly dedicated enough to hop on a plane to go to a Brony Con, but I can drive out to the one in Richmond BC and sleep in my own bed every night.  If the one in Seattle is going to stick around I might think about checking that one out down the road, but I'll have to see if I'm ever at the point where I would want to drive down to the States for that.  From a con hosting standpoint though, it makes more sense to condense cons to keep numbers up.  The waxing and waning of the fandom, while possibly overblown at times, is still a relevant factor to consider.

• Brohoof 2

On 8/23/2017 at 7:46 PM, zenith32 said:

Our decision to run in February is actually an attempt to avoid competition with other MLP cons running around the same time we normally do. Besides, having been a resident of Colorado for over 20 years and especially noting the general trends for weather over the last few winters, February isn't really a month for snow, just colder temperatures (In fact, statistically March is the snowiest month for Colorado). This table shows average snowfall across Colorado for the month of February from 1981 to 2010. For the Front Range/Eastern Colorado amounts, that usually represents one, maybe two snow storms for the entire month, so for us we felt February would be our best shot without having to compete with other, larger cons (like BABS and Everfree) or big holidays in November and December.  Point being, the chances of snow being much more than an annoyance for the Denver area in February.

We're also striving to make the event free to attend for everyone, so stating that you won't be 'taking your business' to us is...kind of a moot point.

Hmm, I guess you do make a valid point about holding your con in February and "taking my business" really is kind of moot to say the least.  However, I live in Massachusetts and know just exactly what Februrary winters are like.

On 8/24/2017 at 0:54 AM, AlbaTross said:

I'm quite sad that BronyCAN is ending, but I'm thankful we had it as I'm not nearly dedicated enough to hop on a plane to go to a Brony Con, but I can drive out to the one in Richmond BC and sleep in my own bed every night.  If the one in Seattle is going to stick around I might think about checking that one out down the road, but I'll have to see if I'm ever at the point where I would want to drive down to the States for that.  From a con hosting standpoint though, it makes more sense to condense cons to keep numbers up.  The waxing and waning of the fandom, while possibly overblown at times, is still a relevant factor to consider.

You should definetly come down to Seattle one day.  It's actually one of the best run cons on the circuit.  They have children first in line for Q and A during panels and classify themselves as a Non-Profit Organization.  Not to mention that if you are big into fanfiction, Everfree Northwest is the main hub for the fanfic writers of the Brony fandom.  

However, Canada does deserve a Brony convention, just not in Vancouver.  Like I said, BronyCAN was just too close to Seattle in both location and timing.  Maybe some other Canadian cities might have a chance: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, etc.  

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-08-26 at 5:27 PM, twilightsparkle3562 said:

Hmm, I guess you do make a valid point about holding your con in February and "taking my business" really is kind of moot to say the least.  However, I live in Massachusetts and know just exactly what Februrary winters are like.

You should definetly come down to Seattle one day.  It's actually one of the best run cons on the circuit.  They have children first in line for Q and A during panels and classify themselves as a Non-Profit Organization.  Not to mention that if you are big into fanfiction, Everfree Northwest is the main hub for the fanfic writers of the Brony fandom.  

However, Canada does deserve a Brony convention, just not in Vancouver.  Like I said, BronyCAN was just too close to Seattle in both location and timing.  Maybe some other Canadian cities might have a chance: Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, etc.  

Well, it's still nice to have some kind of con our neck of the woods.  Apparently this isn't the end of the Brony circuit out here, mind you.  There's Vancoufur, which will supposedly have more of a Brony presence starting next year, and I hear someone might be planning to start up a new convention to replace this one, though it might be a tad smaller.  We'll see.  I do hope we get something set up in the next couple years.  I've also heard something about some sort of con being started out in Toronto, but that's a lot further away than Seattle.  I've heard Ashleigh Ball is coming to Everfree next year, so I'll have to see about going to that.  

(edited)
7 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Well, it's still nice to have some kind of con our neck of the woods.  Apparently this isn't the end of the Brony circuit out here, mind you.  There's Vancoufur, which will supposedly have more of a Brony presence starting next year, and I hear someone might be planning to start up a new convention to replace this one, though it might be a tad smaller.  We'll see.  I do hope we get something set up in the next couple years.  I've also heard something about some sort of con being started out in Toronto, but that's a lot further away than Seattle.  I've heard Ashleigh Ball is coming to Everfree next year, so I'll have to see about going to that.  

Perhaps Calgary or Edmonton for Western Canada and Toronto and Montreal for Eastern Canada.  And yeah, Ashleigh Ball is coming to Everfree next year which was announced at closing ceremonies.  Plus, I'm glad to hear that the Canadian Brony Convention Circuit is NOT on its last legs.  

On 8/19/2017 at 0:31 AM, Steve Piranha said:

Anyone of those around here in Central Florid :huh: ?

There is Grand Brony Gala in Tampa, FL this coming June 2018 if you'd be interested.  I don't know if you are a fan of Pony Meets World, but it's creator, Joey-O, whom I am very good friends with by the way, is more than likely going to be there.

20 hours ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

There is Grand Brony Gala in Tampa, FL this coming June 2018 if you'd be interested.  I don't know if you are a fan of Pony Meets World, but it's creator, Joey-O, whom I am very good friends with by the way, is more than likely going to be there.

Oh, cool. Assuming I'm free back then, I guess I could go. Plus is a good chance to visit my aunt 

10 minutes ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

I tried them once to consider maybe shifting over to Orlando, because I thought it would attract more people, but they said no.  

Man, that would have been convenient for me :( 

On 9/1/2017 at 7:26 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Man, that would have been convenient for me :( 

Orlando would have been great because what could have been done an event where a select group of attendees would have attended Disney World for a day with one of the special guests.  They are doing that at Equestria LA this year with a small group of people heading to Disneyland with Andrea Libman.

le sigh.

we're forgotten again over here in the UK. 

if anything has been running the longest, it would be UK Ponycon. it started in the late 90s/early 00s initially as a collectors expo for the older gen ponies. but since we lost BUCK as our main MLP con, UK Ponycon has evolved to accommodate us bronies. Its been sold out for a few years in a row now. 

if MLP/bronies ever start really dying down, I can safely say that the hardcore old school fans and collectors will not let this con die. It will live on as long as there are pony fans. 

On 9/13/2017 at 10:20 AM, StormBlaze said:

le sigh.

we're forgotten again over here in the UK. 

if anything has been running the longest, it would be UK Ponycon. it started in the late 90s/early 00s initially as a collectors expo for the older gen ponies. but since we lost BUCK as our main MLP con, UK Ponycon has evolved to accommodate us bronies. Its been sold out for a few years in a row now. 

if MLP/bronies ever start really dying down, I can safely say that the hardcore old school fans and collectors will not let this con die. It will live on as long as there are pony fans. 

If the UK wants to re-enter the Brony Con scene, perhaps maybe hold a Brony Convention in London itself, since there are plenty of hotel and convention centers to choose from.  It would attract more people than say Manchester.  Although I would think that Leeds might be another good option.  That venue they had for UK Ponycon last year, that Holiday Inn at that museum, seems very attractive.

7 hours ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

If the UK wants to re-enter the Brony Con scene, perhaps maybe hold a Brony Convention in London itself, since there are plenty of hotel and convention centers to choose from.  It would attract more people than say Manchester.  Although I would think that Leeds might be another good option.  That venue they had for UK Ponycon last year, that Holiday Inn at that museum, seems very attractive.

We ARE still in the Brony con scene and have been since 2012, thank you very much!! >:/ this is the problem i have in this fandom. All UK events and talent is overlooked an ignored. 

Weve tried as have the furries for thier big con but London is stupid. It costs far too much to host a con - all staff are voulenteers. It is also one of the hardest places for outsiders to get to. Plus too far south for a LOT of people. Contarary to popular beilief, London is an awful place for events. 

BUCK had it right to be held in our 2nd biggest city, Manchester. But they gave up in the end due to cost and how much free time it was using up for the staff. Its a HUGE drain on a person to staff a big convention. 2012 - 2016 RIP 

Ukponycon moves around the country to make it fair on every mlp fan to get a chance to go. This year amazingly its in Bristol near my home town. 

Our other brony con is BronyScot -better for the northerners but its not very big and for some of us in the far south, its quite the trek. Our travel costs are not as cheap as the rest of the world and we have less distance to go overall! Its mad! 

On 9/16/2017 at 2:16 AM, StormBlaze said:

We ARE still in the Brony con scene and have been since 2012, thank you very much!! >:/ this is the problem i have in this fandom. All UK events and talent is overlooked an ignored. 

Weve tried as have the furries for thier big con but London is stupid. It costs far too much to host a con - all staff are voulenteers. It is also one of the hardest places for outsiders to get to. Plus too far south for a LOT of people. Contarary to popular beilief, London is an awful place for events. 

BUCK had it right to be held in our 2nd biggest city, Manchester. But they gave up in the end due to cost and how much free time it was using up for the staff. Its a HUGE drain on a person to staff a big convention. 2012 - 2016 RIP 

Ukponycon moves around the country to make it fair on every mlp fan to get a chance to go. This year amazingly its in Bristol near my home town. 

Our other brony con is BronyScot -better for the northerners but its not very big and for some of us in the far south, its quite the trek. Our travel costs are not as cheap as the rest of the world and we have less distance to go overall! Its mad! 

That's true, the UK does have BronyScot, but it seems like its only for people that live in Scotland and for the northern United Kingdom in general.  I'm actually very surprised that London is not the most popular choice to hold a con, given that it is the most populous city in Europe.  A con in London could attract not just people from the UK, but from global destinations, make it sort of International.  

However, I think that Manchester has proven with BUCK that it is more capable of hosting a Brony Convention, than London from what you are saying.  What I think should happen is that a con should be held at one of the airport hotels since it would be easier for people flying in from overseas destinations.  Everfree Northwest in Seattle, WA has been doing it for several years, hosting their con right at the airport, and it has not only become the second biggest Brony Convention on the circuit, but also a classified non profit organization as well.  

If the UK follows this or a similar kind of plan, then before you know it, the UK will have a Brony Convention to call its own again.

3 hours ago, twilightsparkle3562 said:

That's true, the UK does have BronyScot, but it seems like its only for people that live in Scotland and for the northern United Kingdom in general.  I'm actually very surprised that London is not the most popular choice to hold a con, given that it is the most populous city in Europe.  A con in London could attract not just people from the UK, but from global destinations, make it sort of International.  

However, I think that Manchester has proven with BUCK that it is more capable of hosting a Brony Convention, than London from what you are saying.  What I think should happen is that a con should be held at one of the airport hotels since it would be easier for people flying in from overseas destinations.  Everfree Northwest in Seattle, WA has been doing it for several years, hosting their con right at the airport, and it has not only become the second biggest Brony Convention on the circuit, but also a classified non profit organization as well.  

If the UK follows this or a similar kind of plan, then before you know it, the UK will have a Brony Convention to call its own again.

dude believe me, London is impossible unless you are MCM comic con or London Film and Comic con. They are huge organisation and have multiple cons all over the country. I also explained in quite some detail why we cant do London. 

Once upon a time a furry con named RBW existed and was held in the centre of London, but ended 10 years ago due to cost problems of being IN London. There are less bronies over here so theres NO chance a London con will ever happen for us. 

Having it just out of the city is even more of a pain if you do not have a car. The train routes are nightmareish here not to mention bleeding expensive! Plane tickets cost less than a train ticket from Bristol to London! Its insane and broken. 

Ive done BUCK, bronyscot and UKponycon at least once each, but BUCK was the closest to anything like Galacon or bronyscot we've ever had. Bronyscot do try but location issue for the rest of the UK and its rather a tiny con let it down. We shall see what UK Ponycon brings next month though and i'll report back.