Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E15 - Triple Threat

PinkiePie97

Did you like it?  

95 users have voted

1. 1. Did you enjoy the episode?

• Nope. Not enough yak. YAK SMASH PUNY EPISODE!!!!!
    • Nope; needed more deer. >: (
    • It was meh; zebra is fine with that.
    • I liked it! The buffalo would've enjoyed it!
    • THIS EPISODE IS SO GOOD IT STARTED WARS!!!

Play of the episode: Ember as dragon lord! She knows exactly how I feel. She is best girl. Also, as I predicted, a direct counter to all pony deus ex machinas. A powerful rainbow friendship ray to some is just crystal fudge to dragons.

P.S: Leader of the changeling pack? A changeling ... pack? Not a swarm? That made me so peeved!

P.P.S: Ravioli, ravioli can I lew ... Never mind.

599862c091fa8_4jd5rsZ-Kopija.png.6d3b5145fa6dd8eccc3c47762bc422da.png

2 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I'm just glad we finally have a secondary character appearance where she can't be easily switched out for another.

Not literally, of course. Hence my emoticons. But at least two times during this episode Starlight came across like voice of reason Spike from Lesson Zero and many other episodes.

Just now, Hierok said:

This was not good at all. The worst episode since episode 10

It wasn't a terrible episode, but wasn't a good one either. it had its good moments (the map, the interactions with Ember) but was poorly written and executed. There was no reason for Spike to misjudge his friends so badly, or to ignore the fact the map was ordering him to fix a friendship problem he had caused.

I would put it at about the same level as the leans in episode

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

It wasn't a terrible episode, but wasn't a good one either. it had its good moments (the map, the interactions with Ember) but was poorly written and executed. There was no reason for Spike to misjudge his friends so badly, or to ignore the fact the map was ordering him to fix a friendship problem he had caused.

I would put it at about the same level as the leans in episode

No far worse then leans in. Spike was just treated as thrash here. There was no reason that they didn't like each other and he only thought: Well, two different species can't be friends. I liked that the map called him and the starlight = twilight from Ember. :D

And Thorax was cute as hell on that chair. You would like that @WiiGuy2014 :twi:

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 5

Heh. This episode. I think the best way describe it: or you love it for Ember's and Thorax's interactions (and the humor).... or you hate it for the general portrayal of Spike. I personally fall in the first category, but I can fully understand people who hated it.

See at this way thought: get ready for the atomic bomb of next week.

Edited by Sly
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Hierok said:

No far worse then leans in. Spike was just treated as thrash here. There was no reason that they didn't like each other and he only thought: Well, two different species can't be friends.

There's no way this is worse than Fluttershy Leans In. That episode was boring in addition to having writing flaws. This one was hilarious. Also Twilight and Starlight were complicit in enabling his fear of the two of them not getting along, so there is at least a logical reason for him to act this way. Also it's so over the top it did achieve my goal of Spike having a "Lesson Zero" moment.

I agree though his character took a step back from how he's behaved since the first two episodes this season and all of last season. But I'm willing to live with that to see him go off the deep end at least once. And there wasn't really a lot of Spikeabuse, if any - most of the problems he encountered were imaginary and in the end nothing really bad happened to him.

• Brohoof 5

...I dunno about you, but this the first time I've watched an MLP episode and I was literally bored out of my mind. So...Spike was worrying over nothing and he created his own friendship problem? :adorkable: ehh...I'd say this episode was below average...

If anything, Hasbro could've made a sequel to the previous episode where they had to deal with the massive crowd outside, but no...we'll just pretend that it never happened and we'll go on with our happy lives :please:

I noticed that this episode was written by Josh Hamilton, who also wrote "Parental Glideance" earlier in this season. One way that those two episodes might be similar is that they both have character interactions and details that can be enjoyable, even as the main plots can be questionable.

• Brohoof 4

Just now, SolarFlare13 said:

If anything, Hasbro could've made a sequel to the previous episode where they had to deal with the massive crowd outside, but no...we'll just pretend that it never happened and we'll go on with our happy lives :please:

I mean that's exactly what the Mane 6 did at the end of the episode so what did you expect? :twi:

• Brohoof 3

My thoughts on MLP Triple Threat 
Ok so I don't hate this one but it didn't grab me like the last 2. I love that Spike can now be called by the map! I also loved that Thorax and Ember helped each other out. I also like the lesson of don't let fear drive your actions. I liked how Spike tried to solve different friendship problems and Ember's line about Twilight and Starlight being the same cracked me up. I disagree with the people who say Spike is written badly here because Spike has the best of intentions and is just doing what he thinks is best. He's like Twi when she freaks out. And a lot like me when I get freaked honestly. Spike would be poorly written if he were being selfish here which he is not. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 1

I really like this episode, but then there's that "be more assertive" thing again. Fluttershy already has the assertiveness thing, and it gave us episodes like Putting Your Hoof Down and Fluttershy Leans In. Assertiveness just seems out of character for characters like Fluttershy (who has shy IN HER NAME) and Thorax.

1 minute ago, KH7672 said:

I mean that's exactly what the Mane 6 did at the end of the episode so what did you expect? :twi:

Uhh...Starlight using some sort of a spell to erase their memories or something like that? :please:

I mean, she has the power to brain-wash ponies :rarity:

That talk between Thorax and Ember learning from each other is my favorite part.

I think the lesson is best summed up in Spike's words: "I was so focused on how it could go wrong that I didn't think of how it can go right""

This is a lesson that I hope over-critical Bronies learn from. I don't like it when they focus too much on the negatives that they don't see the positives, whether it's about a character or episode.

• Brohoof 7

I'll have to give this one a second watch (hopefully without all the problems my first watch was beset by), but my first impression was that this was a fun but mostly predictable episode that, unfortunately, once again showed Spike in a negative light.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, ggg-2 said:

I really like this episode, but then there's that "be more assertive" thing again. Fluttershy already has the assertiveness thing, and it gave us episodes like Putting Your Hoof Down and Fluttershy Leans In. Assertiveness just seems out of character for characters like Fluttershy (who has shy IN HER NAME) and Thorax.

It's more judge how to handle a position in leadership. Be assertive but on the opposite spectrum make sure to be considerate of others feeling to judge a situation thoughtfully. None of Fluttershy's lessons had to do with being a confident leader.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, ggg-2 said:

You imply that characters need to be cutboard cutouts of their personalities at all times, or else they are OOC. Normal people like you and me can have many different emotions overtime, because we grow and the same goes for these characters. Besides, We only saw Thorax 2 times in the series. You can't tell me that you already know how he is supposed to behave.

OOC, is one of the most terribly overused criticisms ever.

• Brohoof 7

2 minutes ago, SolarFlare13 said:

Uhh...Starlight using some sort of a spell to erase their memories or something like that? :please:

I mean, she has the power to brain-wash ponies :rarity:

"Haven't you learned anything about using magic to solve your problems?"

-Starlight, "All Bottled Up"

• Brohoof 4

Not sure how I feel about this episode, though I liked the part when Ember talked about how Starlight and Twilight are very alike - quite possibly nodding to some people's accusations of Starlight being a Twilight clone (even though they do have quite the differences).

I also felt really sorry for Spike when he was angrily ditched and then later told by Thorax and Ember how upset they were (though they did the latter to feel better and they did forgive Spike), can't tell whether that was too harsh or genuinely deserved since Spike, as a friendship-oriented character and a relatively young one at that, was scared of indirectly causing a war (which sometimes is a genuine fear, but other times it's way overblown). All I know is that had I been in his place at the moment they ditched him, I'd be crying my eyes out and probably even lock myself away out of distress and feeling intense guilt before they'd come back to tell me (again) how they're really angry at me for keeping them apart given the fact I'm such an emotional fool who can barely handle any forms of anger (and that includes my own), especially if it's directed towards me. Hell, if they'd come back to tell me about their anger and found me wailing in a corner, I would likely attempt to block any attempt of them trying to communicate if they exhibited any signs of anger and/or trying to express it verbally.

The lesson to be learned is a good one though. Basically, don't worry so much or focus on the bad stuff, but instead try thinking about the positive outcomes! Being the aforementioned emotional fool, this is something I too struggle with sometimes.

• Brohoof 6

1 minute ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

That talk between Thorax and Ember learning from each other is my favorite part.

I think the lesson is best summed up in Spike's words: "I was so focused on how it could go wrong that I didn't think of how it can go right""

This is a lesson that I hope over-critical Bronies learn from. I don't like it when they focus too much on the negatives that they don't see the positives, whether it's about a character or episode.

It was cute seeing them alone together. :D

And you just blew my mind about the lesson being meta. Even more so since it is applicable to this very episode and the early predictions based on the premise. Though from the comments above it seems like for at least a few the episode did turn out bad for them.

• Brohoof 2

This is Owl's Well done better.

1. Spike is portrayed negatively, but the portrayal isn't just there for plot convenience. He helped lead and create a massive, extravagant celebration party for Ember, but made a careless mistake to invite Thorax to Ponyville on the same day. He put a lot of time in it, so when something goes wrong, he worries that he lets Thorax, Ember, and his title down. As a result, he created a friendship problem. Yeah, it does have some cringe comedy, but because he was worried things will go wrong and wants it to go right. He put a lot of pressure on himself.
  2. Thorax and Ember are really cute and funny here. Despite being leaders of their respective kingdoms, they still have conflicts to resolve.

So far, not one of my favorites nor near the season's best. Yet, compared to last week's atrocity, it's much better.

• Brohoof 3