Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What has being a Brony or Pegasister taught you?

The Equestrian Brony

For me, being a Brony has taught me that happiness can be found anywhere even if it's from a small and innocent pony on a screen, and it has taught me to be confident in myself and what I believe [being a Brony and not being afraid of others opinions]. Being a Brony has also shown that I can in fact be a guy and like girly things at the same time. Some people may not like it, but oh well. A person once told me "if you were a man, you wouldn't like girly things". I came right back at him and said "no friend, you're wrong. A man isn't afraid to like what he wants and he isn't afraid to be himself. That's why I'm a man." He agreed slightly and went on about his day.

Being a Brony has also taught me that there is innocence in TV shows and that not every show on TV is terrible and full of violence. One reason why I'm a Brony is simply because of how well the show is and how well it is written. It has taught me that there are still legitimately good companies out there who will make a really good show and who will care for its audience. Hasbro(the creators of MLP) has time and time again appealed to it's massive Brony/Pegasister audience and they have made episodes about background characters and they have included OC's and the twilight staff for example in the show simply because they like them and they take ideas from their Brony/Pegasister fans because they care so much for them. Some episodes and how they unravel too are because of an idea from a Brony and/or Pegasister, and that's also cool!

The voice actors and writers for the show are also heavily involved in the Brony/Pegasister community and they attend BronyCon, etc. conventions and they are anti-bullying motivational speakers. They care for Bronies and Pegasisters and they understand them.They understand that they go through tough times when they're bullied for liking their favorite show, and they're there to help. And from them and how motivational and caring and understanding they are, they have taught me to care more for people, and that's why I love Being a Brony. They also taught me and shown me that there are nice people in this world like them who love to help people, and I appreciate that, and I want to be one of those motivational people too someday that people will look up to and remember. 

And lastly, being a Brony has taught me that ponies are awesome. lol  Brony on!

How about you? What has being a Brony taught you?

• Brohoof 3

About the VA's and creators of the show - some of them, at least initially, were not that supportive of the 'highly unexpected adult fans of MLP'. For example, Tabitha St. Germain often reacts very defensively when asked about MLP related topics, like all things Rarity, and treats her role as Rarity as a tiny little thing she does and forgets about, like washing her hands. Some of the things I've heard from the VA's were rather discouraging, and kinda insulting. For instance, some of the comments from Ashliegh Ball in 'A Brony Tale' are just hurtful in my opinion (she didn't know where the 20% Cooler quote came from? Really dude?). The message from the VA's in interviews summed to something like, 'yeah we work on the show and we enjoy your support, but we are NOT fans like you are'. Tara Strong and the CMC actors are exceptions, of course.

Anyway, I do enjoy being a Brony. I love the show and its creators and its fans are really, super cool. I wish I knew more of them more closely.

As far as what it has taught me - well, the show has taught me a lot. Bronies though, I don't know if I've learned from them yet, per se...

• Brohoof 2

To be a nicer human and that there are fellow people who share similar interests no matter how out there they are. Before my introduction to the show I was a typical guy, brutish, disgusting sometimes and had a lot of friendships that weren't really friendships but more I need to you to climb to this position and so on. Not all my friendships were awful, I had a few really good friend who I consider long-term friends now, don't see them much today since I don't attend school anymore and don't play games the same way (mic chatted whenever possible).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
44 minutes ago, Venomous said:

Hello, @The Equestrian Brony

Because this thread is wanting to discuss members of the MLP fandom, I have gone ahead and moved it to Sugarcube Corner.

I was going to put this post in sugarcube corner to begin with, but it didn't fit any of the categories. So I just put it in the other section. I didn't see anything called Brony discussion or anything. Sorry about that friend. 

Edited by The Equestrian Brony
  • Brohoof 1

Well for me becoming a brony it has made me into a person beyond anything I could imagine. I have now learned that if the ponies from the show were living along side us it would make us into a near perfect society as the ponies would lead the way to true peace. Plus from the show I've also become an extremely motivational person plus I would be perfect for working on the show. It's just I need to get the word out about my incredible theory about the show and how I can make a real improvement to the world if they let me in to the spotlight. :)

• Brohoof 1

As cliche as it sounds, MLP really did teach me the magic of friendship. Sure I had friends before discovering the show but most of them were really more like close acquaintances and I had very few actual 'friends' up through to college when I first started watching the show. Then I discovered the local community and suddenly I found myself with more friends than I knew what to do with, and it was awesome! I also used to be a pretty judgmental and arrogant hellion of an adolescent until high school when I started to mellow out, but watching MLP from early on really showed me that it's just not worth it 99.9% of the time to waste time and energy on worrying about things that don't really matter and instead to just chill out and actually be nicer and more friendly and generous to people (until they give me a reason not to be, at least).

• Brohoof 1

Two things in particular:

1. Give everything a chance and don't make close-minded judgments. For obvious reasons I'd imagine this is one of the more common lessons, but it remains absolutely vital and 100% true.
2. Regarding the show's message itself, I've learned not to view the world so cynically and to believe that we can improve on our shortcomings as a society and species. For every negative person out there, have faith that there are many more sincere and goodhearted folks; and even if that can be hard to believe at times, you can strive to be the kind of person you want the world to be filled with.

FiM may just be a silly children's show, but I am grateful for its sincere message and the change it has prompted in me over the past four years.

• Brohoof 1