Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler I have a theory about Fame and Misfortune

Star Petal

I want to know what you guys think about this theory of mine. 

Theory: Fame and Misfortune is not only Directed Solely at us adult fans of the show, but the ponies who are obsessed over the mane six, are US. I think that song "flawless" was aimed solely at us fans and us fans are those belligerent ponies who can never be satisfied no matter what, which is why they got angry after the song was over. If you disagree with me, and don't think I am right, put this theory as your mindset and rewatch the episode. It fits way too well. 

• Brohoof 1

Ive seen fame and misfortune, and the only theory I have is that's pretty much a giant slap to the side of the head of the militant like fans and saying "grow up."

• Brohoof 5

Just now, Midnight Controller said:

Ive seen fame and misfortune, and the only theory I have is that's pretty much a giant slap to the side of the head of the militant like fans and saying "grow up."

Pretty much this. Having met and interacted with a number of show talent for MLP the one thing I hear most often regarding fans is how they often forget that they (the show talent) are people too and get way too caught up in their semi- (or full blown) obsessions for whatever character or writer, thus kinda ruining the experience for everyone.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, zenith32 said:

Pretty much this. Having met and interacted with a number of show talent for MLP the one thing I hear most often regarding fans is how they often forget that they (the show talent) are people too and get way too caught up in their semi- (or full blown) obsessions for whatever character or writer, thus kinda ruining the experience for everyone.

Yeah. People were complaining about Hasbro, and when Hasbro decided to fight back, the same people, instead of making their criticisms more constructive and calm,  decided to complain that Hasbro was complaining about people complaining about Hasbro.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Midnight Controller said:

Yeah. People were complaining about Hasbro, and when Hasbro decided to fight back, the same people, instead of making their criticisms more constructive and calm,  decided to complain that Hasbro was complaining about people complaining about Hasbro.

Which then very quickly becomes this endlessly recursive feedback loop about how everyone is complaining about everyone and nobody is happy. Because Celestia forbid that people actually take criticism for once anymore. >.>

Just now, zenith32 said:

Which then very quickly becomes this endlessly recursive feedback loop about how everyone is complaining about everyone and nobody is happy. Because Celestia forbid that people actually take criticism for once anymore. >.>

I'm able to take criticism as long as its constructive.

With the episode casting all but two ponies being horrendous shit heads, it seems to be painting the vast majority of the fandom to also be like that, all of the adult fans for sure and that is simply a bullshit generalization. 

I'm able to take criticism as long as its constructive.

It was meant as a general statement. I know far too many people who are way too hypersensitive about even the smallest 'slights' and take everything as personal as possible. The few of them that watch this show certainly didn't care for Fame and Misfortune...

• Brohoof 1

The school of life channel needs to do a video on the importance of taking and giving criticism. I think it would help a lot of people. 

But yeah, Some ponies are just way too sensitive. 

3 minutes ago, zenith32 said:

It was meant as a general statement. I know far too many people who are way too hypersensitive about even the smallest 'slights' and take everything as personal as possible. The few of them that watch this show certainly didn't care for Fame and Misfortune...

I'd prefer not to judge people as "sensitive" until I get to know them.

16 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

With the episode casting all but two ponies being horrendous shit heads, it seems to be painting the vast majority of the fandom to also be like that, all of the adult fans for sure and that is simply a bullshit generalization. 

I'd say something common about fandoms is that the worst fans also tend to be the loudest and craziest, the ones who wind up getting the most attention even if they're just a very small fraction, so the good fans weren't the ones ganging up on the mane six to complain or annoy them and why there wasn't any good fans that were part of an angry mob outside Twilight's castle, Starlight had to go out of her way to hunt a couple of them down.

• Brohoof 3

44 minutes ago, Star Petal said:

Theory: Fame and Misfortune is not only Directed Solely at us adult fans of the show, but the ponies who are obsessed over the mane six, are US. I think that song "flawless" was aimed solely at us fans and us fans are those belligerent ponies who can never be satisfied no matter what, which is why they got angry after the song was over. If you disagree with me, and don't think I am right, put this theory as your mindset and rewatch the episode. It fits way too well. 

Pretty sure that's not a theory... that's just a blatant fact XD

• Brohoof 1

It was directed at them. As I said in another thread, it was a well deserved bonk on the head. For the fans who enjoy this show for what it is and don't try to treat it like an after school special, it just rolled off them like water off a duck and they either liked it or did not. For those getting all offended and bent out of shape... you were the targets of the episode, and they scored a direct hit it sounds like.

5 minutes ago, Marimo said:

I'd say something common about fandoms is that the worst fans also tend to be the loudest and craziest, the ones who wind up getting the most attention even if they're just a very small fraction, so the good fans weren't the ones ganging up on the mane six to complain or annoy them and why there wasn't any good fans that were part of an angry mob outside Twilight's castle, Starlight had to go out of her way to hunt a couple of them down.

I suppose. What would have made the point a bit better in my opinion would have been both the fillies AND their parents loving the book for its true message, instead of just the two that did. It would have made the overall tone feel at least a bit less harsh and less of a generalization feel.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't think of the fandom one bit while watching the episode. It just came off as the Mane 6 live in their own world, reality, bubble, etc. and majority of others in the world don't get them.

If we're going to talk about the fandom meaning, the writers chose to omit certain questionable controversial topics. Trixie and some of the Mane 6 from Boast Busters for example.

Edited by Singe

On 8/19/2017 at 8:30 PM, Kyoshi said:

I don't think the vast majority of ponies being douches was meant to represent an overall generalization of the fandom, but something that's sadly true: the part of the fandom they represent are the loudest and most active part of it, so it'll make sense that it feels like the whole fandom is out for their blood, knowing that's not true, but it feels like that  

• Brohoof 1

I thought everyone already agreed in the episode topic that this was the case. The show staff were the mane 6, and the fighting ponies are the fans who want to much of the show, and the rest of us were Toola Roola and Cocunut Cream. :twi:

Oh my! Those pesky haters must have really gotten under the skin of our glorious writers. Bad, bad haters! You guys better stop complaining or they're gonna write even more episodes about you! Kappa.png.24ca9d131638bc8b74889b526400526d.png

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think that the episode was saying all of the fandom as characters like Toola Roola and Cocunut Cream could easily represent the people in the fandom who generally appreciate the show for what it is and are respectful to the show staff, and not just being stand ins for the show's target demographic.

On 20.08.2017 at 3:12 AM, Star Petal said:

I also have thought about this when it came, I had this idea and posted it on official thread of the show. Good catch though. I agree with you.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/20/2017 at 4:19 AM, Midnight Controller said:

This. It's kind of mocking the overly criticizing fans that don't get satisfied no matter what, and it's doing a pretty good thing imo:^)

2 minutes ago, Niko said:

This. It's kind of mocking the overly criticizing fans that don't get satisfied no matter what, and it's doing a pretty good thing imo:^)

I consider it to be more of satire.

I consider it to be more of satire.

Well yeah, the way it's doing it is pretty harmless as it should be, but it definitely gets the point across well.

27 minutes ago, Niko said:

Well yeah, the way it's doing it is pretty harmless as it should be, but it definitely gets the point across well.

And their Reply is spew more garbage.

they clearly aren't getting the message.