Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Anyone Workout?

NullAccount

So I used to workout quite regularly, and with decent results, but sooner or later I started getting busy and I guess I just lost discipline. The other day I was thinking about how much I enjoyed watching myself improve and I figured I aught to get back into it; and what better way to get motivated than discussing it with a forum of friends. 

So do any of you workout or plan to? If so, do you like it? What all do you do and what motivates you?

I used to do quite a bit of strength training, but admittedly lacked on cardio, so I'm hoping to find a decent regimen that balances strenth and cardio, but it will definitely be leaning toward strength. 

• Brohoof 3

I am working on a workout plan to lose the weight I gained after the military. I prefer strength training but I know I need cardio. My favorite work outs are HEMA exercises for longswords, yoga, and kettle bell training. 

• Brohoof 1

Plan to get back to it, but I live in an area now that is less friendly to biking, hiking, and running around the city (no sidewalks in many areas, lol). I've never been a "sit in the gym and hit the weights" kind of a person, so I'm looking for new ways to keep up the fitness. Thinking of joining the rec center. 

Edited by Meeps
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Meeps said:

Plan to get back to it, but I live in an area now that is less friendly to biking, hiking, and running around the city (no sidewalks in many areas, lol). I've never been a "sit in the gym and hit the weights" kind of a person, so I'm looking for new ways to keep up the fitness. Thinking of joining the rec center. 

There are a lot of good home exercise programs on Youtube. Such as a yoga series that I like. Also, resistance bands and a kettle bell are pretty cheap items to have at home. Plus again youtube videos on how to use em. Just some tips to help you in your search. 

Just now, Jedishy said:

There are a lot of good home exercise programs on Youtube. Such as a yoga series that I like. Also, resistance bands and a kettle bell are pretty cheap items to have at home. Plus again youtube videos on how to use em. Just some tips to help you in your search. 

A friend of mine was real big into showing me how easy it is to use resistance to do a home workout quite easily. I guess my brain just isn't wired that way! I can hike a trail all uphill with a pack the weight of a small child on my bike for two days straight, but set me in front of a screen with a barbell and I lose my mind! It's weird!

2 minutes ago, Meeps said:

A friend of mine was real big into showing me how easy it is to use resistance to do a home workout quite easily. I guess my brain just isn't wired that way! I can hike a trail all uphill with a pack the weight of a small child on my bike for two days straight, but set me in front of a screen with a barbell and I lose my mind! It's weird!

Ah well we each have our own method that works for us. Maybe some ankle weights and eventually weighted vests and arm weights are more your style? That way you can walk/jog and strength train as well. 

• Brohoof 1

I lack any sort of routine so I don't exactly exercise on a regular basis. I do however love to go on walks, that is something that relaxes me. Other than that, I will occasionally do squats to give my lower body strength a good workout. Squats really help. Eventually I want to invest in a set of weights and really get going with that.

• Brohoof 1

I do a mix of Cardio and Strength throughout the week. I live in a relatively hilly area, so I usually run up and down the hills with weights on my ankles, wrists, and a backpack with weights in it. The ankle weights are usually about 10 lbs each, the wrist weights 8lbs, and the backpack (total) weighs 100lbs. Together, it effectively doubles my weight. But I've been using these weights for a while... I need get more. Maybe do 20lbs for ankles, 16lbs for wrists, 200lbs for the backpack? Would be increasing my weight by 260% if I did that... Sounds kinda dangerous... YOLO.
Note: I go running about 4 times a week.

Edited by Sir Xarthas VI
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say I hardcore workout, but I enjoy going for jogs with my dog, and I mow our lawn a lot which is a workout in itself lol. I also go on an 8 mile bike ride two to three times a week.

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

On August 22, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Sir Xarthas VI said:

I do a mix of Cardio and Strength throughout the week. I live in a relatively hilly area, so I usually run up and down the hills with weights on my ankles, wrists, and a backpack with weights in it. The ankle weights are usually about 10 lbs each, the wrist weights 8lbs, and the backpack (total) weighs 100lbs. Together, it effectively doubles my weight. But I've been using these weights for a while... I need get more. Maybe do 20lbs for ankles, 16lbs for wrists, 200lbs for the backpack? Would be increasing my weight by 260% if I did that... Sounds kinda dangerous... YOLO.
Note: I go running about 4 times a week.

I read somewhere about doing everyday activities with weights. It's mostly safe, but be careful not to overdo it. Carrying around that much weight would probably do a number on you knees. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, FlutterFly761 said:

I read somewhere about doing everyday activities with weights. It's mostly safe, but be careful not to overdo it. Carrying around that much weight would probably do a number on you knees. 

Its fine as long as you keep up on your diet as well. I have tons of Potassium in my diet, so my knees never give me problems.

• Brohoof 1

I used to work out, however over the years I've slowed down with it. My physique was at its best when I was a swimmer in high school and college.

But I've never really had an issue with gaining too much weight. In fact, I have the problem of losing weight and not being able to keep it up. So it's the opposite.

Edited by Halberd
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I work out two or three times a week at the gym. I do mostly cardio and aerobics with very little by way of strength training. I don't want to build muscle, just keep fit, healthy and trim. I mostly work out so I can keep in shape for my job, so that's a lot of my motivation there, but I also like to feel healthy because a sound body also makes for a sound mind as well. My favorite cardio exercise is 30-90 minutes on the elliptical machine (depending on how ambitious I'm feeling), other than that I go with the flow and decide when I get to the gym what I want to do. .  

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

Running, swimming, and biking are just such great stress relievers for me, I kinda of feel like I have to all the time. Nearly every day I to any of the three, plus weight lifting. It's so therapeutic. :kindness:

Yeah I walk back and forth between my table and the buffe quite a few times before I leave ;) 

(on a serious note though, I do a lot of swordsmanship with varying blades. It works a lot of different muscles and your arm learns sooner or later to stop when you say stop, though have a cellphone on you when you do it, sometimes the blade keeps going)

• 1 year later...

I've been really good about working out recently, but I've had to stop while I gain weight. As much as I hate overeating, I need to start putting on weight before I try and gain muscle. I've gained about 8 pounds in the past few weeks (back up to 130 for the first time in a while), but I'm still ten pounds underweight, so I've got a while to go before I start working out again.

I have a set of adjustable dumbells I use (up to 21 pounds each or 39 pounds on one, including the bars), and I try to hit as many muscle groups as I can on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I also removed the electric conversion kit from one of my bicycles a couple days ago, so when I can start working out again I'll do some cardio, too.