Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Winter's Wanderings

Jedishy

Comet Tail and Honey Leaf stood over their young colt with frowns that often creased their muzzles. Yet another winter had come and yet another disaster at the hooves of their son. They loved the colt but he just always managed to over do it when it came to winter. But this year took the cake. He had caused a four-hour backup on 5th Avenue in Manehatten. He had put his headphones in and was bouncing cloud to cloud to his music in too small an area.

This caused a blizzard like pile up when the weather leaders orders were only for a light dusting. Half of their colleges in the upper crust of Manehatten had been calling on them on and off all day to express their condolences at the expense this would cause them. If not in bits than to their reputation. They were two of the most respected botanist and astronomers in their fields. They had worked hard to gain this reputation and an unruly colt was unraveling it all with his inability to control his enthusiasm for winter.

“ But Mom...Dad, I just lost track of where I was supposed to be. I didn't hear the call to move on.... I didn't mean for this to hap...”

“ You didn't mean to... Yes, that is what you always say, son.”

Comet Tail looked down at the colt sternly his voice only slightly elevated but his disappointment and disapproval fell from every word like this winter's snow.

“ You didn't mean to cause three of the weather patrol to crash into you with your “practice” your first winter of training. You didn't mean for your antics to cause an ice storm instead of a light snow last winter either did you? Now, this. Son, we love you but you will not be allowed to go out with the weather patrol for the rest of this winter. You will aid in the cleanup and start your training again next spring. Is that clear?”

Honey Leaf took no joy in denying the colt something he loved dearly but they could not keep allowing such disasters to impact their reputations. Winter Bolt ran for his room slamming the door with a crack...

Sitting up right with a gasp under his wool blanket a much older looking Winter Bolt was breathing heavily. He hated that dream. He hated remembering that night. His relationship with his family had never been the same since that winter. It was the year he got his cutie mark and in his mind lost much of his family.

He had started to wander farther from home to practice that year. After he was of age he started wandering farther and coming home less often under the guise of trying to find work that called to him. He had at this point not been home in over a year and a half. He sent cards and letters but that was about it. Worse was the fact that his parents never made a big deal out of it. It was like they were glad to have him gone.

The last time he had been home it was to mourn the passing of his elderly uncle Spring Step that had given him his treasured sapphire necklace the day he got his cutie mark. Funny it had only been a few days after he was grounded from weather patrol training that he got his mark making it snow for some foals that wanted a snowball fight. It was that day that he realized he wanted to bring the joys of winter to everypony. His uncle had been the only one to understand.... so now what was the point of returning?

Sighing he got to his hooves and shook out his blanket. Repacking everything into his two well-worn saddle bags. He covers his fire-pit with water and earth before grabbing his bags and taking flight. The cool dawn air washed his troubles away as it so often did when he fled the stuffy atmosphere of his parent's house.

He had roamed from Manehatten to Canterlot and almost every town in between. Everywhere he went he searched for a home that he never found as a colt. But every time he managed to mess something up. He just always over did things trying to be helpful especially if it was with anything winter related. So he fled. Time and again he would take wing and be gone before they could tell him to leave. Or at least that is what he thought. If he had stayed reality would have told a very different tale of what other ponies thought about him.

He was always so eager to please that he was generally well received by everypony he met. Yet before they could tell him that things were ok, that they understand that it was just a mistake he would be gone. Like a snowflake on hot cobblestone, he would vanish a silently as he blew into town. Most often leaving ponies missing him in the wake of his departure.

Across half of Equestria, there were ponies that would speak Winter Bolt's name with an aura of sadness missing the bright young pony that had tried so hard to make friends but couldn't see that he had succeeded. So worried that people would view him as he felt his parents did he wandered from town to town and city to city afraid to give other ponies the chance he so desperately wanted from them.

The consistent travel and taking random work whenever he was low on bits had given Winter Bolt a lot of stamina and a wide set of skills. He had bucked apples in Appleloosa, trained with the weather patrol in Manehatten, and even helped as a package courier for a short time in Canterlot. But he never stayed.

If he had gained half the wisdom he should from his travels he would have seen how popular all his lending a hoof had made him. But blinded by his own fears he just flew on. The skies of Equestria were more a home to him than any city or town ever felt. They did not judge. They did not yell, well unless you count thunder created by other Pegisi. They just let him be and he respected that.

On and on he flew missing breakfast and lunch. He flew trying to escape the dream and all that it reminded him of. He honestly never felt this desperate before. But then he realized what it was. He had always had his uncle to write to before. He had always been able to head home and stay with him if he ever really needed to feel safe. But he was gone. Worse this was the first winter that he would not be able to celebrate the first snowfall with him.

The shock of this realization almost knocked the Pegasus out of the air. He tumbled and twisted trying to regain his balance but it seemed impossible. His physical spiral matched the mental turmoil he now felt and he couldn't shake it.

Tears stinging his face he managed to turn the spiral into a semi controlled dive. He tried hard to ensure that he landed in a somewhat dignified manner but that was just not in the cards. He saw a field of apple trees ahead and it looked as good a place as any to try to land before he hurt himself.

Landing with a thump and crashing snoot first into one of the many apple trees he added insult to this injury by scattering his left Poneyville ....saddle bags contents all around him. Grumbling he started to pick up his belongings and pulled out his map. Funny in all his travels he had never stopped here.

Edited by Jedishy

• 9 months later...
(edited)

As Winter Bolt gathered the last of his belongings into his saddlebag he slung the pack over his flank and instantly his knees buckled and he flopped to the floor. He felt a deep throbbing coming from his left flank. So much so that he could not put weight on it.

“Great this is just what I needed today. First I crash, now I'm hurt and without a bit to my name.” Grumbling Winter Bolt tries once more to get to his hooves but he crumbles once more into the dirt. It appears he might have sprained something in the crash.

Laying in the sweet-smelling earth of the apple orchard his mind drifted to his time apple bucking in Appleloosa. He met some very kind ponies there that had treated him like family. It was probably the longest he had spent in one location. Right up until he accidentally caused a flood rather than light sprinkles when trying to help water the trees....

A soft country accent breaks his unpleasant memory. “ Hey, there sugar cube you doin ok? Ya, look like you mighta took a nasty spill.”

Looking up he sees a light golden mare in a cowpony hat standing over him. Her cutie mark consists of a triangle of red apples and she is followed by a filly that is clearly her little sister. Reaching out a hoof she brings Winter Bolt upright and helps him shakily towards what appears to be a family run apple farm.

Im Apple Jack and this is my little sister Apple Bloom. What brings you to Poneyville?” The mares soft drawl was oddly warm for a first meeting but Winter Bolt was so sore from the crash and confused from his inner turmoil that he could only welcome the helping hoof offered.

“ My names Winter Bolt and I sort of just ended up here. I tend to wander a lot and just crashed into your apple trees when I got distracted. I had flown so long I forgot to eat and so I was not as focused as I needed to be”

Winter Bolt scuffed his forehoof into the dirt hoping that AppleJack did not pry too much as he was never very good at hiding his family issues. A tendency to wear his heart on his mane so to speak was what always left him feeling raw and venerable.

As they got to the house a large red stallion comes out to lend a hoof. He gets one broad shoulder under Winter Bolt and gets him wincing into a cart before yet another member of this family comes to the door of the house.

“ Whats goin on now AppleJack? Oh, my is this young pony hurt?” The elderly green mare looked over Winter noting a nasty bruise forming on his flank. Clicking her tongue she nods towards the road heading away from the farm. “ Landsakes filly get this pony to Poneyville hospital it looks like he done banging up his hindquarters somethin fierce.”

Winter Bolt flinched at the idea of a hospital stay. He couldn't even buy a meal yet let alone pay for treatment. He went to open his muzzle but something stopped him. He saw some fire in the elder pony's eyes that told him that he was not going to win that fight even if he protested. So he signed and nodded wordless assent

As they drew further down the road, each bump aggravating his bruised flank he spoke up rather softly.

“Umm AppleJack I dont exactly have the bits to pay for a meal never mind a stay at the hospital. And with my being busted up I dont think I can earn them any time in the next few days”

The mare let out a soft whinny of laughter as did BigMacontosh who had introduced himself as they got their journey started. As he was about to protest AppleJack spoke up cutting him off

Now dont you worry none about the bits. We will help you out and I am sure you will repay us just as soon as you get better.” The large stallion nods saying only “ Eeeh Yup “  in that deep laconic way of his.

With a sigh Winter again gave a nod of defeat. Something about these ponies made him sure that to argue with their kindness would get him nowhere. So he resolved to get better and get to work just as soon as he could.

As they approached the main part of town Winter Bolt started to get stares from many of the pony folk in the market. His cheeks flushed with embarrassment to be seen in such a state on his very first time to Poneyville. He knew that many a famous pony came from here and being carted around like a sack of apples was not the first impression he had in mind.

Snickering to himself at the apple pun he started to take in the sights. As they passed a backed goods shop his stomach rumbled at the smell. He could see a bright pink pony with the biggest smile he ever laid eyes on passing out cupcakes as fast as ponies could line up.

They finally got to the hospital and some attendant ponies came and helped him into a wheelchair. In a few moments, he was brought before a doctor with a kindly smile who examined him carefully only causing a few whinces when he poked a bit at the bruised area.

Well, it appears you just have a nasty sprain and a bruise to match. We will get you a brace and some crutches to use for the next few days while you rest. You will need to take it easy and not push yourself for at least 3 days is that understood?”

Winter Bolt nodded but his stomach had turned to ice all thoughts of hunger driven from him. He had no bits, no place to stay and no way to work for at least three days. He had never let himself run this low on funds before and no he knew why his parents always harped on him about money management.

Within a few minutes, he was able to hobble around fairly well without assistance. AppleJack true to her word paid for the bill despite weak protests from Winter Bolt that he should work out a payment plan or something.

BigMacontosh held the door for him as they headed out of the hospital and back towards town. Winter Bolt was feeling weak from hunger, his injury and flying all day. But he did not want to bring it up as these strange ponies had already done so much for him.

Before the got but a few minutes down the road AppleJack turned to him “ Now I reckon you dont have a place to stay and I heard your belly rumblin as we passed through town.. So you are ah comin home with us at least until you are back on your hooves.”

Winter Bolt could not help but marvel at these strangely friendly ponies. With a smile he nodded and accepted the offer knowing to refuse would be futile. As they headed back towards what he now knew to be Sweet Apple Acres he could only hope that at last Poneyville might be a place he could call home.

Edited by Jedishy
  • Brohoof 1