Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Atheist Bronies: Meet, greet and mingle!

Yakamaru

Topic name says it all. Thread created for Atheists to meet, greet and mingle. Religious? I don't care, you're welcome, too. But this thread is mainly for Atheists, just keep that in mind.

I'm not that interested myself, though I am considering finding a girl soon, seeing all the couples forming where ever I hang out.

Edited by Yakamaru
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
28 minutes ago, FlitterFlutter said:

I consider myself Agnostic, but with that being said I get along with Atheist fairly well. As long as they don't act like a pretentious know it all. So with that being said can I join your club thing?  

No. Shoo, begone. I don't want you here.

Haha, nah, just kidding with you, love. This thread is for those who are non-religious. You are more than welcome! :D

Edited by Yakamaru
  • Brohoof 3

*jumps in with flair and style* Fellow atheist here. Have been ever since I was 14 or so. At that point I started questioning my beliefs in their entirety and eventually abandoned them. Personally, I am happy that I did.

That is my super abridged story of becoming an atheist. It is...exciting. :P

• Brohoof 4

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do here, but count me in.

I've been an atheist since I first thought about the possibility of god's existence (I was around 4) and concluded that's it's another lie grown-ups use to control the others. My opinion hasn't changed since then.

• Brohoof 4

I'm an agnostic. I do not believe in any standardized religion or anything like that. A part of me wants to believe in something out there, another part of me believes in science. I don't know what to believe pretty much, I'm not easily swayed by anything. To me, the human existence is more than a simple god or science. I do not know what it will hold, I believe humanity should just 'end' the debate and move on. Many things slowing our progress to the stars down. Many of the people out there lie about humanity's creation. The easiest thing for me to assume is that it is a mystery meant to be solved in the far future, when humanity has matured to the point where we all no longer argue over tribal gods, or whether or not a certain theory is correct or not, or even about a piece of land with resources that will eventually be depleted by the desperate. The fact is, the world is changing even though certain people don't like it or not, society is changing, everything is in a constant state of change more or less besides humanity's arguements and wars.

I do not mind in others believing in what they wish. They can do whatever they want as long as they don't come to me and try to convince me otherwise. 

Currently I'm more worried about school starting up and what effect that will have on my life... 

Edited by Radience
  • Brohoof 4

As a science enthusiast this is always a very interesting topic for discussion. I enjoyed watching videos of one of the most famous athiest, Richard Dawkins, and his debates with religious figures. I think his arguments are very reasonable. 

However, I always find claiming to be an athiest quite a strong statement. There is so much about the universe that we do not understand (we may understand about 4% of the universe which is probably an overestimate). And as to what lies beyond the observable universe or before the big bang, we know practically nothing.

Perhaps we are created by extra-dimensional beings and that our universe is a nice little experiment [see Ben 10 Omniverse]. And their technology, to us, seems nigh omnipotent. Or perhaps a catastrophic time machine incident by future humans created the big bang [See Family Guy].

We humans are amazing creatures whose knowledge and technology greatly exceeds our nearest biological neighbor (chimps). But to be brutally honest, we, as a race, are very young and still have much to learn. Perhaps we should not shut down all possibilites so soon :P . 

Just something I like to throw in for discussion :). Although during religious debates I pretty much always take the side of athiests xD (like 99% of the time).   

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Quantum Pony said:

We humans are amazing creatures whose knowledge and technology greatly exceeds our nearest biological neighbor (chimps). But to be brutally honest, we, as a race, are very young and still have much to learn. Perhaps we should not shut down all possibilites so soon :P . 

I like this. I remember reading somewhere that we share about 60% of our DNA with bananas, yet we don't go around wondering about what they think or feel. It's easy to imagine a being more "advanced" than humans having a similar conception of people. Surely, they would be god like to us - would we even be able to recognize their behavior as something organized and intentional? Would they care about what we banana people do at all? Probably not, I reckon.

I've been a fairly confident atheist for a while now and I've recently come around on the utility of religion. Like any human invention, it can be used for good ends or for bad, it just isn't for me.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not atheist, exactly.  I'm nonreligious with shades of agnostic.  The ironic thing is that I come from an extremely Christian family, with a fair amount of pastors and acolytes on my mother's side.  I'm not opposed to religion, it's a free country worship whatever you want.  I'm just not a very religious person.

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, Quantum Pony said:

As a science enthusiast this is always a very interesting topic for discussion. I enjoyed watching videos of one of the most famous athiest, Richard Dawkins, and his debates with religious figures. I think his arguments are very reasonable. 

However, I always find claiming to be an athiest quite a strong statement. There is so much about the universe that we do not understand (we may understand about 4% of the universe which is probably an overestimate). And as to what lies beyond the observable universe or before the big bang, we know practically nothing.

Perhaps we are created by extra-dimensional beings and that our universe is a nice little experiment [see Ben 10 Omniverse]. And their technology, to us, seems nigh omnipotent. Or perhaps a catastrophic time machine incident by future humans created the big bang [See Family Guy].

Just something I like to throw in for discussion :). Although during religious debates I pretty much always take the side of athiests xD (like 99% of the time).   

Human species, not race. We are one species but have numerous races. Just sayin'.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/species

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/race

This is however, not a debate thread. It's a (potential) dating thread, for those who are Atheists/non-religious, without the issues a religion may impose upon you. For actual debates, hit the Debate Pit.

I've been an Atheist ever since I was like, 6. I never understood the idea of worshiping a god that were never there let alone made his/her/its presence known to begin with. He/she/it either didn't gave a fuck, or didn't exist. I decided to go with both: Didn't give a shit because he/she/it didn't exist. I told my mom at around 12. She didn't really give a shit. Dad were supportive of it, telling me to find my own way. People were sad to see "family traditions" or some shit go with me. Quite frankly, I still have no idea of what "family traditions" they speak of, even after 20 years.

At the age of 15 here in Norway you have confirmation. It's pretty much a coming of age thing, and it's 100% optional. For the past few decades you've had non-religious confirmation, and I decided to go with that, as I am not interested in having anything to do with religion, which is used to control the masses.

On a scale of 0 to 10, where as 0 is totally religious and 10 is totally Atheist, I am a 9.9. It's logical to wanting evidence of there existing some supreme being out there, but it's illogical to throw out the potential of his/her/its existence on the basis that there's no evidence currently to support the claim. Going by what we know and have observed so far up over the years, there doesn't seem to exist any sort divine being.

On-topic: I guess I am a little available now, in terms of online dating options? Not entirely sure yet.

Edited by Yakamaru

I can understand if people want to believe in something that gives them hope, but in the end, none of us are sinners or owe anything to higher beings.

We're free humans that can carve our own paths, w/out having to worry about the chains of a belief system, yet many chose to keep those bonds, as it gives them comfort.

The moment I abandoned Catholicism (around 16) was a moment of pride, as I realized I could now live my life on my own terms.

My freedom is my religion.

• Brohoof 2

Might as well throw in my two cents. I'm an atheist since 15 (technically threw my belief out of the window even earlier, but the idea behind atheism formed in my mind around that point). 

As an atheist from a religious family, I should tell you that it's fine to believe. My family is still religious and I talk to them still. 

I also perform the rituals and ceremonies expected of me - sometimes - because even though I'm an atheist, I do enjoy maintaining a tradition. I held a traditional wedding when I married, because I like the ceremony.

I firmly believe that one must reach their own conclusions, based on their observation of the world around them. Mine just so happens to conclude that reality is maintained by a system of laws and mechanisms, rather than an almighty curator.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Invincible said:

As an atheist from a religious family, I should tell you that it's fine to believe. My family is still religious and I talk to them still.

My immediate family was never very religious except one of my grandmas. I still gotta pretend when she asks me if I go to church cause she's really old and I just wanna spare her all the drama so I just nod and change the subject as quickly as I can. My other grandma tho is pretty much an atheist, my mom is too but I feel like she believes a little bit "just in case". And we "celebrate" holidays just for traditions sake and family fun. It's never because we actually believe in them. We also don't actually follow them 100%. For example we celebrate Christmas Eve but it looks nothing like our country's traditional version of it. We just make a lot of food, exchange gifts and wishes of well being and that's just about it :P

• Brohoof 2

On 2017/9/2 at 1:14 AM, Yakamaru said:

This is however, not a debate thread. It's a (potential) dating thread, for those who are Atheists/non-religious, without the issues a religion may impose upon you. For actual debates, hit the Debate Pit.

Hello, sorry I may have misinterpreted the purpose of this thread :P . 

I asked my previous question because practically every single person in my school is an athiest and also athiests won pretty much every single religious debate. So as soon as I saw the name of your thread I just couldn't resist :D . 

It is just a question I've been hoping someone could answer, and your response is absolutely perfect :)! (And of course I pretty much agrees with you completely :P )

Hope your thread goes well! 

And here is a quote from one of the greatest scientist of all time (Although I think he is THE greatest scientist of all time)

"If we are honest — and scientists have to be — we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality. The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination... I can't for the life of me see how the postulate of an Almighty God helps us in any way. What I do see is that this assumption leads to such unproductive questions as why God allows so much misery and injustice, the exploitation of the poor by the rich and all the other horrors He might have prevented. If religion is still being taught, it is by no means because its ideas still convince us, but simply because some of us want to keep the lower classes quiet.-(Paul Dirac) 

So I don't really believe the existence of an omnipotent God as described in the scriptures of Abrahamic religions. However, I do like to think perhaps there is something more about the universe than just the physical laws we see today. 

"One could perhaps describe the situation by saying that God is a mathematician of a very high order, and He used very advanced mathematics in constructing the universe" -(Paul Dirac) 

At any rate, hope everything goes well with the thread! :) 

• Brohoof 1

I am a human. Its the only thing I claim. I do not claim a title. I am equal to others of the same genes. I do not believe in anything that has no good solid evidence. I do wish there was a alternate universe with talking ponies. Would be nice to have a next life there. However reality shows that this does not exist. So I can fantasize and dream but its just that. Fiction of the mind. One of the cool things we can do. My favorite non believer is Christopher Hitchens. He studied things and had more knowledge about things than most of his opponents when there was a debate. I stay away from the religion talk and usually speak about other matters we have control over. I hope to make some good friends here and share some of my thoughts. 

Thanks.

• Brohoof 2

On 9/4/2017 at 5:51 PM, Nara said:

My immediate family was never very religious except one of my grandmas. I still gotta pretend when she asks me if I go to church cause she's really old and I just wanna spare her all the drama so I just nod and change the subject as quickly as I can. My other grandma tho is pretty much an atheist, my mom is too but I feel like she believes a little bit "just in case". And we "celebrate" holidays just for traditions sake and family fun. It's never because we actually believe in them. We also don't actually follow them 100%. For example we celebrate Christmas Eve but it looks nothing like our country's traditional version of it. We just make a lot of food, exchange gifts and wishes of well being and that's just about it :P

Yeah, you can take whatever positive aspects there is to tradition. People sometimes think you gotta leave it behind with religion if you're an atheist, like there's some monopoly over holidays.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Invincible said:

Yeah, you can take whatever positive aspects there is to tradition. People sometimes think you gotta leave it behind with religion if you're an atheist, like there's some monopoly over holidays.

There are no monopolies on good ideas, good morals, good ethics, etc. You can take whatever good ethics/morals/what have you from religions all around and either found your own or take them to heart and become agnostic, non-believer or even an Atheist. The notion that you have to belong to X to have Y, Z and A and B ethics/morals/what have you is dumb.

The western world were founded on Christian values. Although some are outdated, there are still a couple of good ones you can take with you. Now that we've had separation of church and state for a couple hundred years, those moves are truly starting to shine through. People are getting educated like no other era. More and more agnostics/Atheists are popping up all over the place like never before.

Now, on-topic: Seeing as this is a dating thread, perhaps you could write a little about yourself? You can write an entire novel or just some key points, it's up to you. Could also write what you are looking for. Girlfriend/boyfriend/don't care. What personality and/or traits are you looking for? Are there things that are a big no? Feel free to state them in a civil manner, if possible.

Note: If you are a guy and hit on me I appreciate the feelings, however I cannot return those feelings in kind. It's always fun getting hit on though, and I hope you find it fun and maybe a little embarrassing too if or when someone hits you. Worst case scenario you get a "No". Getting turned down is not the end of the world. Now, if only Bjørn-Inge would stop offering blowjobs all the fucking time, that'd be awesome..

• Brohoof 1

I'm completely apathetic towards religion 90% of the time. The only time I feel the need to critique is when evangelicals and Muslims do stupid stuff if you know what I mean.

On 9/6/2017 at 0:34 AM, Invincible said:

I'm an atheist but I'm still a Catholic by culture. I go to mass with my family at times. We celebrate Christmas and Easter along with Holy Week, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, etc. I actually still hold on to some of the values I was taught. 

Edited by Hachiroku
  • Brohoof 1

On 9/6/2017 at 0:36 PM, Yakamaru said:

There are no monopolies on good ideas, good morals, good ethics, etc. You can take whatever good ethics/morals/what have you from religions all around and either found your own or take them to heart and become agnostic, non-believer or even an Atheist. The notion that you have to belong to X to have Y, Z and A and B ethics/morals/what have you is dumb.

The western world were founded on Christian values. Although some are outdated, there are still a couple of good ones you can take with you. Now that we've had separation of church and state for a couple hundred years, those moves are truly starting to shine through. People are getting educated like no other era. More and more agnostics/Atheists are popping up all over the place like never before.

Now, on-topic: Seeing as this is a dating thread, perhaps you could write a little about yourself? You can write an entire novel or just some key points, it's up to you. Could also write what you are looking for. Girlfriend/boyfriend/don't care. What personality and/or traits are you looking for? Are there things that are a big no? Feel free to state them in a civil manner, if possible.

Note: If you are a guy and hit on me I appreciate the feelings, however I cannot return those feelings in kind. It's always fun getting hit on though, and I hope you find it fun and maybe a little embarrassing too if or when someone hits you. Worst case scenario you get a "No". Getting turned down is not the end of the world. Now, if only Bjørn-Inge would stop offering blowjobs all the fucking time, that'd be awesome..

Oh sorry. I'm actually a guy, but i wasn't interested in the dating aspect of this thread per se, just considered having a nice discussion with fellow atheists - so i apologize if i didn't really communicate that. Also I'm married, so there's that.

Would it be fine to just be "friends" instead? lol

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Hachiroku said:

Is it me or is being an atheist super common these days? Like at first I thought it was odd but now I feel like everyone around me is one.

I always thought it was the other way around. I have like 2 atheist friends, and most of the people i know are theistic to some extent.

Just now, Invincible said:

I always thought it was the other way around. I have like 2 atheist friends, and most of the people i know are theistic to some extent.

Well, where do you live? That might be a factor.