To Change a Changeling  

117 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Pass me the Raid - Hated it!
    • < Spike's face of disapproval > - Disliked it
    • My feels have all been drained - Meh
    • Feelings Forum fixed my soup! - Liked it
    • OMG there are two Deer Bug Pones? SQUEEE - Loved it

Great episode overall, and the more Starlight & Trixie, the better.

Some people didn't like the lack of ponies in this episode, but I think it shows how diverse the series can be now.

Edited by Blobulle

As a fan of changelings, I didn't really like this episode. 

If they were trying to convey Pharynx as a protector out of place, and the changelings being defenseless, they didn't really do a good job at either.  All I saw was Pharynx being a stereotypical bad guy that hates nice and frilly things, and the changelings being a bunch of hippies who are sick of his s:mellow:t. 

Maybe if they showcased him trying to be on patrol when no one else will, or putting up castle defenses that keep getting in the way, or Starlight commenting on how the changelings used to be threatening but now look like they can't hurt a fly, let alone fight a cringey monster. 

It was like too much build up for too little pay off. And then they had to change his design to be a pretty bug horse. In a way, it kinda defeats the message of acceptance. That the message was Pharynix finding his place in a new hive, not changing to fit in it.  

Also, Trixie and Starlight weren't of any real use, and what use they were felt pretty convoluted. 

I'm sorry, but I don't know what everypony sees in this episode 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I enjoyed this episode when Thorax's brother Pharynx was permanently transformed and metamorphosed into a new changeling form with a new coat/chitin color, he accepts a new way of being friendly to others including his brother Thorax as well by helping out. This is the first episode in the series without the focus of any Mane 6 character, but it's a main focus of both Starlight Glimmer and Trixie together since they both are best friends with each other from the last season.

I like that Pharynx wasn’t made to be mean because he was evil. He was just worried that the changelings weren’t going to be able to protect themselves.  His bond with Thorax was good to see as well. We need more Starlight and Trixie episodes. I hope we get more in season 8.

• 4 months later...

This is a bad episode. First, it's really boring. A few jokes work, but they're few and far between. Second, Pharynx is annoying. He's not charmingly unlikeable like Zephyr Breeze, he's just annoyingly unlikeable and I didn't care about what happened to him while watching. Third, Starlight messes everything up by leading the Maulwurf back to the hive, and while it is lampshaded at the end, that doesn't stop it from being annoying. Lastly, Trixie is pointless. She's only here to spout out jokes that don't land for the most part.

Score: 2/10 

• 2 months later...

I liked this episode, seeing Trixie and Starlight try to reform a changeling was an interesting concept, I liked the introduction of Thorax's brother, Pharynx, who really isn't evil, he simply wants to go back to the old ways of the hive. I liked seeing the gags that exist within the changeling kingdom and I liked seeing Pharynx's backstory of when he and Thorax were little. 9/10.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This episode was fun. It was fascinating to see how the changelings lived after they transformed. I loved Starlight's speech scene as well. It showed her using her leadership, which she had previously used to enslave a town, to actually help somepony else! That was really neat because it reminded me of the original Starlight who was a villan, and how much she changed.

One thing bugs me though. Why didn't the changeling herd change into something stronger when fighting Maulwurf? I know they can use their power even after they transformed, as Thorax had used his ability to turn into a bear a couple episodes ago. :derp:

• 3 weeks later...

I found the Episode pretty good, the new changelings look cute, the story was interesting and it starred 2 of my favorite ponys.

I just found the solution for the enemy bad...instead of transforming into something that could defeat the enemy, they just joked with the monster, that was stupid.

• 3 months later...

I really like this episode. The story does a good job at showing both the new Changelings' and Pharynx's perspectives. The Changelings have a point because Pharynx is a jerk all the time and messes with everything they do. Pharynx has a point because the new Changelings are pretty weak and their belief that they have no enemies can lead to trouble. It's this dynamic that makes the story interesting. I like that the episode doesn't force Pharynx to give up his values completely and instead has everyone reach a compromise. The Changelings are going to learn to defend themselves and Pharynx is going to be less of a jerk to everyone. Though Pharynx changing his form is kinda unnecessary. I think the message of the Changelings learning to accept Pharynx would've been stronger if they accepted his as he was.

Starlight and Trixie do a good job at keeping the episode funny. They don't really do much in terms of the story, but they do contribute a lot of fun banter and good jokes. Starlight does end up screwing things up with everything working out okay, but unlike A Royal Problem, she's called out and is made fun of instead of congratulated. It's still really contrived, but at least Starlight gets called out for it.

Overall, this is my favorite episode of the season so far. The story is interesting and mostly solid, the comedy is pretty great, and I have to say that this is some of the best dialogue in a long time. Sure, there's still bad exposition and some dud jokes, but most of the lines are pretty great.

Score: 8/10

Edited by bigbertha

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Technically I think this is a good episode and does build on the episode Tripple Thread. I like if episode reference each other and build up on. I was always wondering why only one Changeling (I exclude Queen Chrysalis  here) does not accept the new way, because one could assume there could be more. For this kind of show I would have expected to have someone like Pharynx, so this is actually good. In my opinion it could have been better, if the could have build up on this more. But don't get me wrong, I think it's a good episode.

• 10 months later...
On 2017-09-02 at 5:50 PM, Jeric said:

In universe it was just a friendly visit. It just so happened that there was still an unresolved issue when they got there. 

Narratively, there's an opportunity cost, and the potential to undermine the lesson by including Spike. 

Spike being included won't undermine the lesson though.
Like how would he undermine that?

If anything, excluding him worsens the damage of how he was robbed hard in TWABA

21 hours ago, nightshroud96 said:

Spike being included won't undermine the lesson though.
Like how would he undermine that?

Gotta love my keen memory! I know what I was thinking when I typed that Spike being present serves to undermine the narrative lesson (also presenting an opportunity cost issue which goes hand in hand). 

I’m going to answer your question with a question. What role did Starlight and Trixie serve in this episode compared and contrasted to the role Thorax played? Would Spike agree or disagree with Starlight’s assessment and decision process in this episode? Would Spike agree or disagree with Thorax response to Starlight when Thorax uncovered where his brother was? Depending on how that is answered would not just impact this episode but also the Season 7 finale. 

The easiest solution to avoid significant narrative challenges is to have the focus be on characters the episode presented as is. Including Spike, as much as Spike fans don’t want to hear it, is at best superfluous and at worse problematic for already planned stories that were extremely well received. 

But I look forward to your analysis. 

• 1 year later...
On 2022-04-20 at 6:37 PM, Jeric said:

Gotta love my keen memory! I know what I was thinking when I typed that Spike being present serves to undermine the narrative lesson (also presenting an opportunity cost issue which goes hand in hand). 

I’m going to answer your question with a question. What role did Starlight and Trixie serve in this episode compared and contrasted to the role Thorax played? Would Spike agree or disagree with Starlight’s assessment and decision process in this episode? Would Spike agree or disagree with Thorax response to Starlight when Thorax uncovered where his brother was? Depending on how that is answered would not just impact this episode but also the Season 7 finale. 

The easiest solution to avoid significant narrative challenges is to have the focus be on characters the episode presented as is. Including Spike, as much as Spike fans don’t want to hear it, is at best superfluous and at worse problematic for already planned stories that were extremely well received. 

But I look forward to your analysis. 

Given how Spike was the voice of reason to Twilight, so him helping Starlight think that plan(that backfired in the show) better.
While listening on Thorax to help him resolve with Pharnx

SPIKE is the one who befriended Thorax, not Starlight.
And yet everything changeling related went to Starlight instead of Spike, he was robbed hard.
Having him not helping out Thorax post- changeling reformation here by pretending only Starlight mattered to Thorax in this situation just felt ridiculous.