Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is mlp to hard to follow for little girls

Ponyboy sodapop

Like so much stuff happens, the crusaders marks, the tirek battle, 150 episodes so many fandom name and stuff like that, and at what age little girls stop watching it? Like they watch the first season when they were young and they stop later ( maybe some of them became pegasister ) and they just never seen what happens next, anyway is the show a little hard to follow

• Brohoof 1

It could be in some ways, but to me, that is an example of how the show has evolved and grown far beyond the label of 'a little girls show'. It has more character development and depth than it did in its first few seasons, showing that anyone can enjoy it regardless of age or gender.

• Brohoof 2

It has indeed a complex story that you should remember specific details and changes that happen each episode and it has indeed a storyline that requires being followed. It may be harder for some little girls to follow but there are also very intelligent girls like my girl cousin who is 10 who can indeed now the storyline and remembers and I doubt he struggles to follow.

• Brohoof 3

i would say the opposite, that a younger child will just know the main characters and follow each episode, getting the moral and enjoying the story without having to follow the bigger picture, and that's okay - there is no reason why a child can't enjoy that. As they grow (or even if they just watch enough) they will start to see how the episodes join together to form a larger, sweeping set of story arcs, and that's good too - it means they won't quickly outgrow the show. Its clearly a formula that works, or they wouldn't be trying the same thing with Hanazuki....

• Brohoof 2

I watched Avatar (another show where a lot happens) when I was a kid and didn't find it hard to follow that (and I don't think I even watched all the episodes in order), and I haven't heard anyone else say they had trouble following it, so I'm going to say no.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I'm gonna say no.  I don't think kids want things dumbed down.  I believe they want a rich, detailed universe, just like adults.  They may not pick up every detail, but they don't need to in order to enjoy it.

I seem to recall the team behind Blues Clues (all clinical psychologists) found that out in detail, did papers on it and everything.

Dumbing down BC and making it too easy to guess was not "sticky" - the kids would get bored and go pay attention to something else. If they got the balance right, and the level was surprisingly high, the kids would be hooked for the entire episode, ignoring even newly introduced toys and competing to shout out answers at the screen first.

• Brohoof 2

I've been watching MLP with my sister since she was about five. She's nine now, and can follow the overarching plot better than she could when she was five. On the other hand, I have younger cousins who like the show because of the main characters, songs, etc. I asked the cousin once, who her favorite pony was. She answered: "Fluttershy, because I'm shy too." and you don't have to know about Fluttershy's story arc to respect that. :)

• Brohoof 4

Doubt it. I think it's easier for kids to hook-up on a show if their world is rich in worldbuilding, as long as it's not mandatory to enjoy the show if you either miss a chunk of it, or start late. Kids are pretty intelligent, it's just that they are often underestimated by us :dry: 

• Brohoof 2

Though they seem to miss some of the deeper and highly subjective elements that some adults and teens point out in forums and on YouTube, they can follow it just fine. 

My kids are 16 and 17. When this show aired they were 9 and 10 and we're watching with me as I was trying to figure out what the heck someone said about the show being deep. Anyway, they have been fans from go, though I didn't start getting invested until 2014. Try kinda came of age with Pony and based on our conversations before I was a fan they were surprisingly dialed in to some of the more interesting hidden messages that they coaxed from the show's lore and background characters. They actually never saw Rarity as a dress maker -- but an general depiction of an artist. They even asked me if Fluttershy was there to help kids who may have a mental health disorder related to anxiety early on. And yes they embraced their own ships. 

Now, part of them carefully constructing their own interpretations is normal. Considering their parents (yes I'm taking a RD esque victory lap here) were the type to watch and discuss these ideas at their level (and even a little ahead of it to spur on creative thinking), it doesn't shock me that they delved deeper. 

"But Jeric, 9 and 10 are older!", you say with suspicion.

I have a cadre of neices and one nephew -- all younger than me. My 7 year old niece said the following this season when we discussed the new episodes. 

"Are Trixie and Starlight dating?"

"Is that what all adult fans of this show at like?" 

"I knew Applejack's Mommy and Daddy were in heaven, but that makes me wish they were on the show all of the time."

Yeah ... I think young kids get it. 

• Brohoof 4

I think that you are underestimate little girls and giving the show a bit more credit than it deservs. 

On 8/28/2017 at 10:20 AM, Kyoshi said:

It has more character development and depth than it did in its first few seasons, showing that anyone can enjoy it regardless of age or gender.

A show can be aimed at little girls and have character development and depth.

• Brohoof 5

4 minutes ago, Gestum said:

I think that you are underestimate little girls and giving the show a bit more credit than it deservs. 

A show can be aimed at little girls and have character development and depth.

It could also be a family show with those same qualities.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but fim is clearly aimed at little girls. Big Jim even said so himself. 

You think I care about what he says? If he wants to paint such a limited scope for the show, that's his problem, but I won't do that.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Kyoshi said:

You think I care about what he says? 

You should. I mean, unlike you he actually works on the show so I think it's fair to assume that he has a slightly better idea of who the target audience is than you do.  

1 minute ago, Kyoshi said:

If he wants to paint such a limited scope for the show, that's his problem, but I won't do that.

I fail to see how it's a limited scope at all. I mean, it just means that the show's target audience is little girls. It doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it anymore. 

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Yamet said:

You should. I mean, unlike you he actually works on the show so I think it's fair to assume that he has a slightly better idea of who the target audience is than you do.  

I fail to see how it's a limited scope at all. I mean, it just means that the show's target audience is little girls. It doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it anymore. 

Because it is literally limiting what it is trying to achieve. What is Spongebob? A boy's show? Noooo, only MLP has to fall under some stupid gender stereotype. That's where good ol' Jim can fuck right off.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Because it is literally limiting what it is trying to achieve. 

How? It's still has interesting and well developed characters and reasonably decent stories. 

8 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Noooo, only MLP has to fall under some stupid gender stereotype. 

TIL that basic marketing is just "some stupid gender stereotype".

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Yamet said:

How? It's still has interesting and well developed characters and reasonably decent stories. 

TIL basic marketing is just "some stupid gender stereotype".

Yeah, it is. Can't market it to boys or something as well? Then it is simply gender stereotyping. Only little girls could love little ponies after all amiright?

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Because it is literally limiting what it is trying to achieve. 

How? 

4 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

What is Spongebob? A boy's show? 

Is its targets audience boys? Then yes.

7 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Noooo, only MLP has to fall under some stupid gender stereotype. 

I don't really think that you understand what Jim was saying. He did not say that only little girls are allowed to watch the show, he just said that the show is written with little girls in mind and thus is a show for little girls. 

• Brohoof 2

MLP is and has always been a show designed to sell toys to and teach moral lessons to little girls.

Just because it is good doesn't mean that it isn't the case.

I kinda get annoyed with people denying this because I feel like it goes against the show's inception.

Lauren Faust has stated that she based the show on the type of stories that she would have wanted to see as a little girl and show that media aimed at young girls could actually have conflict and plots and be entertaining.

And when they finally get media aimed at girls that is actually good, a bunch of older men outside of the target audience have to butt in, and say that it isn't for them, and force them to have to share one of the few pieces of media that they do get of actual quality.

I find it hypocritical that the fandom says it is trying to break down gender roles, while at the same time denying the feminine nature of the show, and basically saying that because it is good it isn't aimed at females or at least young females, which in turn reinforces the stereotype that media aimed at females is inherently bad.

Which I like I said before goes against the show's intentions, seeing how we even had an episode "A Dog and Pony Show" where the message was basically femininity does not equal weakness.

• Brohoof 7

Probably, but they don't care. The youngest end of the demographic (like two year old or so) is just there for the colorful ponies, the target demographic for the plot is NOT little girls, but more around pre-teen. The issue is not little girls growing out of it over it's meaning seasons, it's just that the plot has grown fairly complex, but that never was a deterrent as even in the first season the plot was aimed at an older demographic than you're assuming. 

Edited by Ganondox