Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Anypony Ever Watch Babylon 5?

Denim&Venöm

People talk about about how legendary Star Trek is, how Star Wars is the standard bearer, and how much of a masterpiece Firefly is. But during the 90's, another sci-fi space opera was carving it's own niche. Babylon 5. 

I remember watching this show as a kid. Where Star Trek was too much talk and Star Wars seemed too cheesy, this was what was blowing my mind. And the show only continued to surprise me further when I rewatched it years and years later, and began to appreciate both the complexities and subtleties told within.

For those who saw it during it's initial run, what do you remember best about B5? What was your favorite episode or moment? Who were your favorite characters? What impressed or wowed you about the series?

And for those who don't know, here's a short video to give you a good introduction.

• Brohoof 2

This is EASILY one of the most underrated shows out there, and easily my favorite sci-fi show out there. Unfortunately I never watched it during it's initial run, but I did get a VERY good helping of B5 during it's run on the old Sci-Fi Channel. Really, what's not to love. It manages to expertly weave inter-galactic politics, war, peace, tensions, humor (usually subtle), drama, tragedy, and mystery all in a very intriguing package. Yeah, the effects look dated these days, but when the stories are this good, it's not a bother for me.

Also, it remains the only sci-fi show that I fully marathoned everything; all five season, all TV-movies, and even Crusade. Love it. :D

What do I remember best?  The characters; they are what really made the show, especially Londo and G'kar. Of course Ivanova, Garibaldi, Sheridan, Delenn, and the rest were wonderful too.

My favorite character?  That would have to be Londo Mollari; largely for how he develops as a character, and just how tragic is arc really is.

My favorite episode?  I would have to go with "Severed Dreams." Really, all the buildup and the climax really just take you for quite the ride.

What impressed or wowed me?  What really caught my eye and makes me love this series over the likes of even Star Trek: The Next Generation is how it was able to give hints about characters, races, or important events from almost at the very start of the series, build it up through the course of the series, and finally reach the apex and just go "wow; that was amazing." Things like Londo & G'kar's relationship, the Shadows, Earth, etc. It's not just one episode then move onto the next. It's a whole arc. Miss a few episodes and you could be lost.

• Brohoof 1

Bruh..

BhOGYwk.jpg

Need I say more? :D

As for what I remember the most: The funny moments. The small inbetweens.  Oh, and Michael Garibaldi, played by Jerry Doyle. And his shenanigans. Always fun to watch.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

Babylon is awesome! Now I kind of wish I had a month or so to rewatch it.

Favorite characters: Garibaldi, G'Kar, Vir

Can't recall which episode was my specific favorite, I just remember it as one long epic.

My favorite thing about it was how deep and complex the story was and how it all fit together so well.

You should read some of the books now. My favorites are the Technomage Trilogy and The Shadow Within.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I've heard of it, but I never got around to watching it.

On 31/08/2017 at 2:16 AM, PathfinderCS said:

weave inter-galactic politics, war, peace, tensions, humor (usually subtle), drama, tragedy, and mystery all in a very intriguing package

Is that a particularly strong theme in it? If so then I might actually find time to watch it - I've always liked Dune-esque sci-fi intrigue, and I'm hunting for more sources and inspiration to pour into an RPG campaign I'm planning.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
slightly changed the section of text I quoted
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

I've heard of it, but I never got around to watching it.

Is that a particularly strong theme in it? If so then I might actually find time to watch it - I've always liked Dune-esque sci-fi intrigue, and I'm hunting for more sources and inspiration to pour into an RPG campaign I'm planning.

From my experience; yeah. That's one reason why the show is held in such high regard amongst a lot of sci-fi fans. Granted; I won't say that everyone loves it, but those who do REALLY love it.

Actually, if you want to watch all five seasons of the show legally and free to stream, go here, Go90.com has all five seasons available to watch. Granted they don't have the pilot film, the tv movies, the cancelled sequel series "Crusade," or the direct-to-DVD episodes, but the main series is really the main thing you need.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I did watch it, but I don't remember anything  :D

Give it another rewatch then. It's amazing how well it stands up and stands out compared to today's sci-fi. 

• 10 months later...