Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How could they have Sunset pay Equestria an extended visit?

Toon4Thought

By this point, I think it's safe to say most of us really want to see Sunset Shimmer revisit the life that she had long abandoned. I especially want to see this because I personally find the ideas of her being the only pony who gave up her entire species and moving to a previously unknown dimension (as well as being satisfied with her new life) beyond fascinating.

But the thing is, with how increasingly separated EqG and FiM has become, it's kind of hard to tell how we even could realistically expect them to tackle this. Putting this in EqG has the issue of spending most of its story in Equestria, whereas an FiM episode would have to give her a lot of exposition. And yet, I feel like not doing this would probably be the single biggest waste of opportunity in all of G4 MLP.

So, how do you think they should tackle this? Should it be an EqG or FiM installment, or perhaps a one-off crossover special? What should she do there? And, most importantly, what kind of story would be behind it? For stuff like "reconciling with Princess Celestia", I'd like you to be specific on how you think it could be handled.

Edited by Toon4Thought

Well if the portals start to collapse on one another, or the problems with magic leaking into the human world becomes bad enough, than I could see Sunset going back to Equestria to finally reconnect with Celestia so she can obtain her guidance.

• Brohoof 2

It's not going to be an easy thing either way as both options are going to end up sacrificing something in order to give Sunset some much needed backstory. The question is which option will result in giving Sunset what she needs without giving up too much on the other side. As I've mentioned many times in the past, Sunset must reconcile with Celestia to resolve the one aspect of her past that continues to linger even now.

• Brohoof 1

This could be a good way to explore both Sunset and Starlight, and give everyone else in the cast a chance too.  Set it up this way, Starlight is in CHS and Sunset has to return to Equestria, (why can be left open for now).  Sunset goes through the portal but the Sirens follow her and escape into Equestria.  Fearing that the portal may be used to send them back to Earth they take a piece (or pieces) of it and run.  Sunset, Twilight and the rest must pursue them all over Equestria and in the meantime Starlight is stuck on Earth with no magic, no way of getting back and maybe no way of knowing what is going on.  At least not until she finds Sunset's journal and starts communicating. Not one to take things laying down Starlight convinces Twilight to help her build a portal of their own.

There'd be an opportunity to explore Sunset and Starlight's characters as well as the human and pony versions of the Mane 6 as the search continues in one world and the search for parts (and for Starlight to find a place to live, and maybe a show of her in a classroom) for a portal in another.  

Edited by Skytower

Heh, it'll be hard to find an excuse for Sunny returning to Equestria in the first place considering that FiM and EG are hardly connected anymore :dash: . With the upcoming new web series formula, who knows if that may change though :huh: 

I don't really want Sunset to be forced to return. Maybe the story starts with her missing Equestria, and finally deciding she's ready to return. She could make plans with (Princess) Twilight, then when she arrives, a friendship problem of some sort happens. I guess an adventure or Cutie Map quest would be fun too; all that matters is she decides to return on her own, and the storyline somehow revolves around how she feels about being back in Equestria. 

I would imagine this as its own 22-minute crossover-ish special, or maybe two if it needs to be an adventure. Not sure which brand name would be used. If it's an adventure, that'd make a reunion with Celestia easy, and I'd like Sunset to meet Luna as well. Wouldn't mind my headcanon that Sunset once knew Cadance to be confirmed either, but maybe that's asking for too much.

As a side note: accompany this with a 5-10 minute short about the pony six meeting their counterparts and I would be doubly happy. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, all of these ideas sound quite nice, but I was more wondering about what you think we could expect to actually happen? The majority of these are at least somewhat in the realm of plausibility, but I'd imagine the fact the two properties are now largely separate story-wise kind of complicates the crew's willingness to actually do it.

I feel like a one-off crossover special is probably the only way to fully avoid the biggest hurdle, that being one property intruding on the other, but would DHX really do something like that?

I'm mostly asking because I would be beyond bummed out if they never do anything with this.

Edited by Toon4Thought

I believe the greater chance falls on a somewhat distant EQG movie as a closure to the "equestrian magic leaking into the human world" theme/arc. If those magic leaks start to put the human world in danger, the girls would want to stop them and Sunset would be the best choice to explore the source of the leaks at Equestria.

I don't see a plot like that fitting on a 10 min or 20 min episode, and a 2 parter 40 minute would need to be a bit rushed to do it, that's why I believe a 70+ minute film should do the trick. Also I would chose the EQG franchise for it because they have the arc already in motion and wouldn't need as much exposition as it would be needed in the FiM franchise.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

I believe the greater chance falls on a somewhat distant EQG movie as a closure to the "equestrian magic leaking into the human world" theme/arc. If those magic leaks start to put the human world in danger, the girls would want to stop them and Sunset would be the best choice to explore the source of the leaks at Equestria.

I don't see a plot like that fitting on a 10 min or 20 min episode, and a 2 parter 40 minute would need to be a bit rushed to do it, that's why I believe a 70+ minute film should do the trick. Also I would chose the EQG franchise for it because they have the arc already in motion and wouldn't need as much exposition as it would be needed in the FiM franchise.

The trick would be to make it a stand alone movie, and not make it so that you'd have to watch both movies to get the whole story.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Skytower said:

The trick would be to make it a stand alone movie, and not make it so that you'd have to watch both movies to get the whole story.

All Equestria Girls movies have been based on previous works, so I don't see this as a major issue.

A 70+ minute movie is enough to set up the problem in human world, start the main plot with Sunset going to Equestria to find the source and let the rest of the humane 7 dealing with the danger/subplot at human world and develop things from there on both sides. Granted, it should have to be mostly an adventurous movie, which doesn't seem to be the focus on EQG movies so... probably I'm just daydreaming too much.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

All Equestria Girls movies have been based on previous works, so I don't see this as a major issue.

A 70+ minute movie is enough to set up the problem in human world, start the main plot with Sunset going to Equestria to find the source and let the rest of the humane 7 dealing with the danger/subplot at human world and develop things from there on both sides. Granted, it should have to be mostly an adventurous movie, which doesn't seem to be the focus on EQG movies so... probably I'm just daydreaming too much.

I don't think making it adventurous would be necessarily hard for them to do. I mean, they can still have plenty of slice of life elements going on during all this, and the other films did mix those with the fantasy elements.

Here is an idea, we already know that the friendship map in Twilights castle can call others beside the mane 6, what if it flashed a friendship alert over a part of Equestria with Sunset's cutie mark?  Twilight could summon Sunset back and they could travel to the spot and there encounter Sunset's family and/or former friends.  It would give us the backstory for Sunset.  Another interesting point would be to see if Sunset begins to think about staying in Equestria, about having her true body and power back again.  It would also be interesting to see the human mane six reactions to the idea that Twilight and friends have a map that directs them all over the world to solve friendship problems and give us a good read on how they feel about and how much they are curious about Equestria.  This could be expanded into a movie easily if Sunset's human friends get impatient for her to return (or worried that she might not) and simply go through the portal to look for her.

Edited by Skytower