The FUNdamentals of Magic w/ Princess Celestia: Types of Magic  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Rate the short

• Hated it
    • Not a fan
    • It was okay
    • Liked it
    • LOVED IT

Neat.  So...Daring Do's ability to locate treasure isn't just a skill and a result of time and research, but magic?  Also, what Pinkie does is confirmed to be magic, not that we didn't already know that.  

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

This, Celestial Advice, A Royal Problem, and Subs Rock in the same year?

I feel like the show is trying to overcompensate for Celestia's historically poor treatment.

Well at least SHE'S doing better! Luna barely got anything this year! XD

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

Guess this is part of a new series of shorts. The one from September was taken down not long after it was posted, so it must’ve been posted by mistake.

They also uploaded the first episode, which is the same short they uploaded in September.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 3

It's the same short that was released earlier. Nice to know there will be a full series. While the first one is by no means a must watch, it's entertaining enough with some nice visuals. And we also have the unexpected comeback of Greenie Belle! :D

• Brohoof 4

Remarkable capabilities? I like how we need to take her word for the majority of those she listed.

Scales huh? I'm gonna go to town with this item and beat the living rainbows out of each and every powerful pony. All of you non-pone lovers should do the same before our glorious writers decide to hit them with the retcon hammer in the next patch.

He who controls the scales controls the world! The unicorn tears must flow!

On 2017-09-01 at 12:31 PM, PinkiePie97 said:

Hasbro has uploaded a new Celestia short to their YouTube channel.

EDIT: The video was taken down.

Hi, as this thread is about a web short, albeit an excellent one, and not about an episode or idea from the show, it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.

On 9/1/2017 at 5:45 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

>celestia gets more screentime in a short than in the canon show

:P

that's far from true. Tally up the number of minutes she has appearances in the series in 8 years, and it would out outweigh the number of seconds she appears onscreen in the shorts.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely LOVE Celestia' Fundamentals of Magic.  This is the best new Pony thing we've gotten in a long time.  Almost better than the actual show!  Better than the movie, for sure.  I wish the Fundamentals of Magic could be a full-length series!

In just a few short segments, they've managed to cram in a surprising amount of little reveals that tie up loose ends.  For example, confirming that the Pinkie sense is a literal form of magic, which we can assume is some manifestation of some form of latent magic that all ponies possess, possibly the same type of latent magic that gives rise to cutie marks.  It seems to me that this means that Twilight was right all along in that Pinkie's abilities are not some spooky, supernatural, mumbo jumbo, but that they are a real magical property which can be learned, studied, and explained, the way she described all magic in the pony universe working.  This delighted me to no end, as the ending to Pinkie Keen was, and still to this day remains, the single worst thing ever on FIM.  For all the bad decisions, writing, or out-of-character scenes that I may not have liked, the letter in Pinkie Keen was, in my opinion, the only scene that was actually dangerous and sent a terrible message.  Celestia's Fundamentals helped to undo that a little.  It just delights me that Celestia's school is where we learned that.  After all a school is where we go to learn things, not to say, "well, I don't know how it works, but it just does, so that's enough for me, and we never need to ask why."

I also love how they referenced the Sister's flowing manes as a manifestation of latent magic.  They didn't say very much about it, but at least they mentioned it, which is a first.  They've never said a word about it before.  It went a long way to simply hear that, yes, their moving manes are a thing, an early manifestation of their latent magical ability.  So, there is a reason.

I think my favorite thing was that we found out that the Sisters use Starswirl as an expression.  Like, everpony in Equestria says, "for Celestia's sake," and "Celestia knows where," etc.  Now we know that Celestia says, "for Starswirl's sake."  That is awesome!  :D  That is absolutely priceless, and it make so much sense!  I just loved that.  Like, it's ridiculous how much I loved that tiny little tidbit.

I thought it was interesting that Snips and Snails were in the class.  Now, as I understand it, Celestia's school is for "gifted unicorns".  Now, we know that Snails is actually a hidden telekinetic prodigy, but I've never seen Snips do squat.  Perhaps the lower level classes are for anypony, but higher level students are hoof-picked by Celestia so they can receive one-on-one attention.  That would make sense.  Like the X-Men.  Any mutant can attend Xavier's school, but only a select few will go on to become X-Men.

I hope we get more of these specials.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I thought it was interesting that Snips and Snails were in the class.

I think that choice mostly had to do with using existing animation models and familiar faces, as the lessons were taught with what I guess surmounts to a chalk filter of scenes from past episodes, and in the classroom itself the style looked like a simplified version from the movie.

That was a very entertaining and informative treat to say the least. I noticed that in the intro they show an older map or Equestria and show it at least once on Celestia's left side while standing in front of the desk, but it's switched out for the updated movie version.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I thought it was interesting that Snips and Snails were in the class.  Now, as I understand it, Celestia's school is for "gifted unicorns".  Now, we know that Snails is actually a hidden telekinetic prodigy, but I've never seen Snips do squat.

Apparently, the students don't even have to be unicorns (though most of them are)! In episode three, Archer (an Earth pony) is shown as one of the students. :)

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

Apparently, the students don't even have to be unicorns (though most of them are)! In episode three, Archer (an Earth pony) is shown as one of the students. :)

Ah, I was wondering about that.  That is interesting.  I guess it's like I said; anypony can attend lower level classes to learn about magic.  I mean, it would make sense, especially if you've got some kinda Pinkie Sense type magic that you don't understand and want to learn more about it.

• Brohoof 1