Will Guide

Daring Done  

88 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike

• I think I ate bad dates - Hated it
    • "Sphinx's! Why'd it have to be sphinx's?" - Disliked it
    • I'm still stuck on the Sphinx's riddle - Meh
    • I would name my dog Daring Do! - Liked it
    • A pony who has trust has hope; and a pony who has hope, has everything. - LOVED IT!

Hey guys! 

This episode was leaked early, so I started the Discussion page for it early. EDIT: And now it's gone.:P It will be official sometime later.

I'll start the discussion by saying Pinkie with the newspaper has some listen closely moments that had me rewinding to hear them all!

The galloping sounds as Rainbow and Pinkie hurried to Yearling's place are a nice touch.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

Wait ... "Most ponies don't know the adventures are real"

Um ... 

They do now thanks to the published Journal. Whoops. I guess they do know she's real just not the adventures? :confused:

• Brohoof 5

Not too bad of an episode, I'll say more after it airs properly. Rainbow and Pinkie pairings still work out great. A few rough spots during the second half. The legend of Sonambula was just as good as Mistmane's.

My reaction however to Rainbow getting captured without a fight?

I mean how could she forget to fly? I never thought I'd see the day Rainbow Dash would give up so easily to bunch of grounded Earth ponies! At least throw a few kicks at them before getting captured. That one scene really bugged me in an otherwise decent episode. 

• Brohoof 13

7 minutes ago, Truffles said:

Not too bad of an episode, I'll say more after it airs properly. Rainbow and Pinkie pairings still work out great. A few rough spots during the second half. The legend of Sonambula was just as good as Mistmane's.

My reaction however to Rainbow getting captured without a fight?

I mean how could she forget to fly? I never thought I'd see the day Rainbow Dash would give up so easily to bunch of grounded Earth ponies! At least throw a few kicks at them before getting captured. That one scene really bugged me in an otherwise decent episode. 

Yeah, this part was really annoying and frustrating to watch in an otherwise good episode. The situation was so stupid and easily avoidable, yet RD not even attempting to put up a fight, or even just flying away was very unRainbow-like and Daring and Pinkie watching from a couple feet away yet somehow meaning they can't do anything was equally stupid. That entire sequence was a complete mess though.

Everything else was ace though, Pinkie and Rainbow are still great together, Daring Do is a cute, and worldbuilding! And I do like how they began showing the unintentional effects of Daring's adventures may have on others

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 7

56 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

Yeah, this part was really annoying and frustrating to watch in an otherwise good episode. The situation was so stupid and easily avoidable, yet RD not even attempting to put up a fight, or even just flying away was very unRainbow-like and Daring and Pinkie watching from a couple feet away yet somehow meaning they can't do anything was equally stupid. That entire sequence was a complete mess though.

Everything else was ace though, Pinkie and Rainbow are still great together, Daring Do is a cute, and worldbuilding! And I do like how they began showing the unintentional effects of Daring's adventures may have on others

In that particoular scene I wouldn't criticize much the writer... as much as the animator. It doesn't bug me the fact she got captured as much as the WAY it happened: if they came out of nowhere and jumped on her altogether (Like it happened twice in Stranger than FF) or throwing a net on her from above the crumbled statue, then the sequence would have made much more sense. I think the animators are the ones to blame for that particoular part. 

Edited by Sly
  • Brohoof 2

Finished the episode and I have this episode's theme speaks to me. Because it's about Hope, something I usually associate with Disney and their retellings of timeless fairy tales that usually feature the heroes sinking to their lowest point, then finding the hope and strength to face tomorrow. 

Honestly, I wasn't hyped up for this episode, but this is a perfect 10/10 for me for its surprise of associating with what I call my Element of Harmony: Hope!

Thank you, G. M. Berrow!

• Brohoof 1

30 minutes ago, Truffles said:

My reaction however to Rainbow getting captured without a fight

And the fact that she was yards away from Daring and Pinkie ... 

This was a jaunt episode. Nothing bad in it, outside of the fact that this whole time I thought Equestria believed that Daring Do was a fictional character and instead it's like Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Assumption wrong I guess. 

The lore continued to be nice, and a nod to The Last Crusade with the leap of faith. Nice touch having Pinkie being the Pony to do that first. 

Everytime there is a Daring Do story at least one character drops a few IQ points though. Everyone watching likely knew that was the good Dr. ;)

• Brohoof 6

@Truffles @Jeric @Whompy Whomperson

Your argument is missing the point of the scene

Rainbow was so saddened by the fact that her actions made the situation worse for Daring that she just simply forgotten to fly away. It can happen to anyone.

Dash wasn't an idiot. The villain just took advantage of crushing our heroes' spirit and captured her when her guard was down. In my opinion, it makes Dash more identifiable.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 5

4 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@Truffles @Jeric @Whompy Whomperson

Your argument is missing the point of the scene

Rainbow was so saddened by the fact that her actions made the situation worse for Daring that she just simply forgotten to fly away. It can happen to anyone.

Dash wasn't an idiot. The villain just took advantage of crushing our heroes' spirit and captured her when her guard was done. In my opinion, it makes Dash more identifiable.

That's never stopped her before. "She was sad" is a pretty poor argument for both a character like RD and the situation she was in. For a character that always been a "shoot first, ask questions later" type, they pretty much had her do everything she wouldn't do for the sake of demoting her into a Damsel in Distress

• Brohoof 7

19 minutes ago, Jeric said:

And the fact that she was yards away from Daring and Pinkie ... 

Y'know, since both you and @Whompy Whomperson brought it up, I didn't even realize how close AK and Pinkie were to that situation unfolding because I was so taken aback by Rainbow not putting up any resistance. I give that part a bit of a pass, however, because the two of them didn't seem to be paying attention since Pinkie turned away to stop AK from running off. But I agree AK at least should have been able to catch up and help stop the kidnapping. She apparently forgot she could fly, too. Unless AK's alter-ego is supposed to be an Earth pony?

3 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@Truffles @Jeric

Dash wasn't an idiot. The villain just took advantage of crushing our heroes' spirit and captured her when her guard was done. In my opinion, it makes Dash more identifiable.

I can't buy that. Once she knew who the "poor villager" really was, she got angry and was no longer sad. Furthermore, the story all began with her trying to fix Do's reputation - a huge task to accomplish. She was still willing to defend her idol and was upbeat, even with that knowledge. I don't see how Caballeron revealing the whole evil plot would cause her to give in. If anything, she would have been even more determined to take him on.

• Brohoof 4

Sigh. Exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, and exposition! This episode was a real drag for twelve minutes until the sphinx story.

Anyhow, these artifacts that keep popping up, I do not see how they are connected to MB as these are more the pre-Equestria hero origin stories, so unless MB is older than the rest, she wouldn't have time to travel all across the land creating random trinkets that don't even match one style.

P.S. This is a long shot, but new hero elements inc. One of them is Hope and it belongs to Pinkie.

P.P.S: I want that sphinx in my G/R monster army for flight disable. No pony deck would be able to stop me!

P.P.P.S: Why is Haysenberg in Caballeron goon squad? He should be out there cooking gems.

Just now, RulesofRarity said:

Oh so it wasn't leaked? 

Apparently someone at Hasbro accidentally uploaded this episode to their pay YouTube channel instead of "To Change a Changeling." I seem to recall this episode and Saturday's being swapped at the last minute in the schedule. If that's the case, then I could see how the mistake could have been made if the uploader guy didn't have the latest info.

• Brohoof 4

8 minutes ago, Truffles said:

Y'know, since both you and @Whompy Whomperson brought it up, I didn't even realize how close AK and Pinkie were to that situation unfolding because I was so taken aback by Rainbow not putting up any resistance. I give that part a bit of a pass, however, because the two of them didn't seem to be paying attention since Pinkie turned away to stop AK from running off. But I agree AK at least should have been able to catch up and help stop the kidnapping. She apparently forgot she could fly, too. Unless AK's alter-ego is supposed to be an Earth pony?

I can't buy that. Once she knew who the "poor villager" really was, she got angry and was no longer sad. Furthermore, the story all began with her trying to fix Do's reputation - a huge task to accomplish. She was still willing to defend her idol and was upbeat, even with that knowledge. I don't see how Caballeron revealing the whole evil plot would cause her to give in. If anything, she would have been even more determined to take him on.

*sigh* Fine. Sorry for sounding angry.

I'm just sick of people focusing on the negative like this Damsel in Distress moment instead of the positive like the lesson of Hope in that awesome middle part!

I hope you understand my view.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 2

I liked the episode for the lore part of it... the story and legend of the sphinx and such I found really interesting... and I really liked the look of it all. The Daring Do part... not so much, that was all rather formulaic to me. Not bad, just nothing amazing.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

*sigh* Fine! Sorry for sounding angry!

I'm just sick of people focusing on the negative like this Damsel in Distress moment instead of the positive like the lesson of Hope in that awesome middle part!

I hope you understand my view.

I do, I saw your 10/10 comment. It's an OK episode for me. I liked the message and I like the legend. I guess that one part was so egregious it ruined the end for me. (Though Caballeron conveniently walking through the middle of town with the stolen goods didn't help, either. It was another of those "rough spots" in the story that expose the contrivances required to write fiction.) Even now, instead of the message all I can think about is, "WTF, Rainbow?!?" =|

It wasn't so much about her being a "damsel in distress" as it was a totally OOC moment for her - OOC right down to her core beliefs. If they had done something like explain that the whole town has a magic field around it that prevents pegasi from flying and RD was in real danger, it would have gone a long way to sustaining the believability, even if she was still pretty much a damsel in distress. Again, it's another contrivance but writing good fiction relies on trying to keep them hidden from the audience.

• Brohoof 2