Will Guide

Daring Done  

88 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike

• I think I ate bad dates - Hated it
    • "Sphinx's! Why'd it have to be sphinx's?" - Disliked it
    • I'm still stuck on the Sphinx's riddle - Meh
    • I would name my dog Daring Do! - Liked it
    • A pony who has trust has hope; and a pony who has hope, has everything. - LOVED IT!

22 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Sigh. Exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, and exposition! This episode was a real drag for twelve minutes until the sphinx story.

Anyhow, these artifacts that keep popping up, I do not see how they are connected to MB as these are more the pre-Equestria hero origin stories, so unless MB is older than the rest, she wouldn't have time to travel all across the land creating random trinkets that don't even match one style.

P.S. This is a long shot, but new hero elements inc. One of them is Hope and it belongs to Pinkie.

P.P.S: I want that sphinx in my G/R monster army for flight disable. No pony deck would be able to stop me!

P.P.P.S: Why is Haysenberg in Caballeron goon squad? He should be out there cooking gems.

Pinkie has always been the element of hope. Celestia called it optimism in the Magical Mystery Cure, it's hope here, no idea why they decided to go with laughter in the premier, guess they thought it'd be easier to understand?

• Brohoof 1

I found this episode to not be that great. I had issues with Rainbow Dash in this episode most particularly. She was being completely rude, cringy, and even stupid. Seriously, how did she NOT recognize Caballeron in that orange hood? He's the only pony I've seen with STUBBLE... Probably same goes for RD too... It was just too obvious... However, RD didn't even question it FOR ONE SECOND, and then ALLOWED herself to get captured (which I agree with @Truffles that it was 100% out of character). I also found Pinkie to be somewhat annoying in the earlier parts of the episode, though I feel like that was fairly minor considering she resolved BOTH conflicts, the second of which was 100% Rainbow Dash's fault. Also, the townspeople were awful. Nonetheless, the lore part was fairly interesting, and the plot resolved itself fairly well.

As I said in my most recent status, I overall rate this a 6/10, simply because Rainbow Dash was so awful here, and also because the townspeople were being mean and judgmental in a way that completely irritated me (You know what I really wanted to say here). It was on levels equal to the Rarity haters in "Fame and Misfortune".

• Brohoof 4

I quite enjoyed this episode. The legend of Sonambula was pretty nice and I thought it was good to see an otherwise relatively no-nonsense and more assertive character put into a perspective you wouldn't really expect (dejected, humbled, disheartened, etc). Excellent character development in my opinion. My only complaints with this episode are how the first half is almost entirely exposition and how Dash's capture seemed really...weak? Like, Dash should not have been captured that easily. That aside though, pretty good episode.

• Brohoof 3

So, another Daring Do episode with more world building. I like the pony Egypt, especially the fact that it doesn’t look too antique. The legend was cool, I liked the characters designs. And we probably have an explanation of Pinkie’s absence in Triple Threat.

But to me this episode left a lot of questions. Is Ponyville Chronicle such an influential newspaper – getting an exclusive DD’s interview and all that? Is the Sphinx still alive? What was the initial purpose of the pyramids? Were the pharaohs the rulers of Southern Equestria before the princesses? Is Ahuizotl on the loose? Why does Celestia pay no attention to that? Well, I’m probably overthinking it. Never mind.

Spoiler

Best face of the episode

1526814__safe_screencap_pinkie+pie_darin

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Barik the Luigineer said:

I found this episode to not be that great. I had issues with Rainbow Dash in this episode most particularly. She was being completely rude, cringy, and even stupid. Seriously, how did she NOT recognize Caballeron in that orange hood? He's the only pony I've seen with STUBBLE... Probably same goes for RD too... It was just too obvious... However, RD didn't even question it FOR ONE SECOND, and then ALLOWED herself to get captured (which I agree with @Truffles that it was 100% out of character). I also found Pinkie to be somewhat annoying in the earlier parts of the episode, though I feel like that was fairly minor considering she resolved BOTH conflicts, the second of which was 100% Rainbow Dash's fault. Also, the townspeople were awful. Nonetheless, the lore part was fairly interesting, and the plot resolved itself fairly well.

As I said in my most recent status, I overall rate this a 6/10, simply because Rainbow Dash was so awful here, and also because the townspeople were being mean and judgmental in a way that completely irritated me (You know what I really wanted to say here). It was on levels equal to the Rarity haters in "Fame and Misfortune".

You're being unnecessarily harsh towards Rainbow Dash. She meant well the whole time and showed her loyalty to Daring Do to the very end. She should've fought back though, I'll agree with that but there was nothing even remotely "awful" about her in this episode. 

• Brohoof 2

For the scene of RD's ponynapping I’d blame more the animators than the writer: I think that Berrow wrote the part like "Then RD gets captured by caballeron and his enchmen", and I think she entrusted animators in doing the scene coherentely…. but sadly they didn’t, and it’s such a shame. And it’s not like it was that hard, I mean if they jumped on her out of nowhere (LIKE THEY DID TWICE IN STRANGER THAN FF) or threw a net on her from above the crumbled statue it would have been much more sense. So pretty much I think the ones to blame for the scene are the animators not Berrow.

• Brohoof 1

I actually enjoyed the first part of the episode.  The interactions between the main characters were well done, even if it did have a lot of exposition.

I like the world building in the Eygptian location.

Sonambula has set in as my second favorite legend, just behind Mistmane.

Yeah, Rainbow's capture just served as conflict without much reason.

Overall, I liked this episode more than the past two.

Edited by jackfettgames

Huh, it seems after Fame and Misfortune a lot of people are entering that "overly critical" mode. This usually happens after a "best of series" contender comes out, people are suddenly more disappointed by everything.

However it still seems that most people enjoyed it, just a reminder though, just because you don't like a certain scene should make the entire episode bad.

• Brohoof 3

I was really looking forward to this episode, so I was really happy when it was leaked early! 

It didn't disappoint! I want to see more Daring Do, and I'd also like to see her interact with Twilight.

It was pretty obvious that the guy spreading rumours was Cabilleron (Is that how you spell it?!) from day one, but I guess that was the point.

25 minutes ago, Barik the Luigineer said:

Seriously, how did she NOT recognize Caballeron in that orange hood? He's the only pony I've seen with STUBBLE...

I noticed that as well. The only other pony with stubble is Rainbow's arch-nemesis, Zephyr. XD

I do wish they had kept who it was pulling the strings in this caper a little closer to the vest. I would have liked to have the "aha" moment when it was revealed it was Caballeron. Visible-Stubble-pony was just too obvious. =)

2 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Huh, it seems after Fame and Misfortune a lot of people are entering that "overly critical" mode. This usually happens after a "best of series" contender comes out, people are suddenly more disappointed by everything.

There is truth in that - "A Perfect Pear" showed me what the showrunners can truly do when they put their minds to it, so everything else now gets compared against that. It's unfair, I know, but taking a hard look at basic things things like story structure, use of characters, music, etc. is proper, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Daring Done Episode Spoilers

Hide contents

The "leap of faith" at the end of the episode reminded me of "Feeling Pinkie Keen".

I think it's no coincidence GM Berrow paired Pinkie with RD in this episode, for that exact reason.

• Brohoof 3

Like all Daring Do episodes, the strengths of this episode lies in the set pieces. Daring Do episodes are always great at world building and managing to show off new locations with some great action pieces.

And like most Daring Do episodes, there's always a problem with Rainbow dash's characterization. In this one, she was a mix of obnoxious and somewhat stupid. Pinkie was on point this episode. Like in Griffinstone, she works off of her perfectly and even she seemed like she was put up with her. 

• Brohoof 2

This one was a decent episode, but it didn't stood out and the part where they were saving Dash was just cringy as hell. :twi: 

21 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Daring Done Episode Spoilers

Hide contents

The "leap of faith" at the end of the episode reminded me of "Feeling Pinkie Keen".

thumb.gif

This is exactly what I mean. Jumping into the liquid and then exactly being lift up by little piramids. :D

• Brohoof 4

I liked it a lot actually, it was a good adventure story that expanded the world again.

The legend was interesting, character interactions on point, great visuals as usual, my only issue was Dash seeming weak.

But I won't let one scene detract from how good this episode was.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Pinkie has always been the element of hope. Celestia called it optimism in the Magical Mystery Cure, it's hope here, no idea why they decided to go with laughter in the premier, guess they thought it'd be easier to understand?

Yeah, but she named all other elements differently too. Hope sounds more majestic than optimism and laughter. Even us pessimists can hope. You can say it's an evolved version of the previous concept. I'm hoping for some upgrades that ain't shit like Rainbow Power while thinking we'll get jack diddly :P 

32 minutes ago, Truffles said:

I noticed that as well. The only other pony with stubble is Rainbow's arch-nemesis, Zephyr. XD

I do wish they had kept who it was pulling the strings in this caper a little closer to the vest. I would have liked to have the "aha" moment when it was revealed it was Caballeron. Visible-Stubble-pony was just too obvious. =)

There is truth in that - "A Perfect Pear" showed me what the showrunners can truly do when they put their minds to it, so everything else now gets compared against that. It's unfair, I know, but taking a hard look at basic things things like story structure, use of characters, music, etc. is proper, IMO.

I think it's no coincidence GM Berrow paired Pinkie with RD in this episode, for that exact reason.

You shouldn't dismiss good episodes as just "okay" just because they aren't as good as The Perfect Pear, it's not like they are all written by the same person, The Cutie Remark is still my favorite episode of all time, doesn't mean I will say To Where and Back again sucked because it's not as good of a two parter.

Slice of Life was some of the best meta storytelling of all time, doesn't mean I think Fame and Misfortune was just okay. I judge episodes for what they are, not for what they can be or where they stand in comparison to other episodes.

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Like all Daring Do episodes, the strengths of this episode lies in the set pieces. Daring Do episodes are always great at world building and managing to show off new locations with some great action pieces.

And like most Daring Do episodes, there's always a problem with Rainbow dash's characterization. In this one, she was a mix of obnoxious and somewhat stupid. Pinkie was on point this episode. Like in Griffinstone, she works off of her perfectly and even she seemed like she was put up with her. 

As far as I'm concerned, this is the only Daring Do ep that screwed up Dash's character, and only in that she shouldn't have gotten taken down that easily. Aside from that, I really don't know what it is you people want from her. What exactly is the "Proper" way to portray Rainbow Dash? Nobody seems to ever be satisfied no matter how good she is.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Your argument is missing the point of the scene

Rainbow was so saddened by the fact that her actions made the situation worse for Daring that she just simply forgotten to fly away. It can happen to anyone.

Dude! At what point did I mention a damn thing about flying away? I implied that Cabelleron was a moron because of proximity. He accosted Dash because he was worried about her telling Daring Do ... WHO WAS YARDS AWAY, WITHIN VISUAL SIGHT, AND EASILY ALERTABLE WITH A QUICK ... "YO DARING". That was a dumb scene. If they wanted to pull that .... at least reference Lost Ark with the basket abduction. 

The villain is a moron. Watching it again, the scene was badly written. The episode was fine but it wasn't anything to write home about particularly because of scenes like that. It felt like an unedited fanfiction from a capable storyteller who forgot to reread their own story. 

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Dude! At what point did I mention a damn thing about flying away? I implied that Cabelleron was a moron because of proximity. He accosted Dash because he was worried about her telling Daring Do ... WHO WAS YARDS AWAY, WITHIN VISUAL SIGHT, AND EASILY ALERTABLE WITH A QUICK ... "YO DARING". That was a dumb scene. If they wanted to pull that .... at least reference Lost Ark with the basket abduction. 

The villain is a moron. Watching it again, the scene was badly written. The episode was fine but it wasn't anything to write home about particularly because of scenes like that. It felt like an unedited fanfiction from a capable storyteller who forgot to reread their own story. 

Dude, calm down!

I see the problem about the villain and heroes being morons. I just don't let it get in the way of the message of hope.

Daring Do episodes usually don't really do it for me. The same goes for this one. Lots of worldbuilding and I loved the new locations, but the episode also felt slow to me. At the same time I did like the moral in the end.

Rainbow's capture was... odd. Normally I shouldn't be bothered by this but here it felt a little off. 

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 3

Well I guess I am in the minority here in actually thinking the episode was really good (seems to be that way for every episode in the past 5-6 weeks)

The pacing felt natural and the adventure was nice, Daring Do is still awesome and the visuals were great, we got a great new legend and some awesome worldbuilding, Pinkie was on point and Ranbow as enjoyable, my only issue was the capture scene. But even then Cabelerwhatever didn't know Daring Do was right there, and Rainbow Dash wouldn't just fly away seeing how distraught she was, she was just crying for ponies sake.

Overall, I enjoyed it more than last weeks, and Triple Threat, and even Fame and Misfortune, probably my #5 for the season so far.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Dude, calm down!

I see the problem about the villain and heroes being morons. I just don't let it get in the way of the message of hope.

It's always a good thing to actually read a post completely and consider its purpose before dropping the shorthand equivalent of, "You didn't pay attention." It's a children's show written so seven year-olds can grasp the concept. I got the point.

As far as it's theme that you suggest is so phenomenal, I'm talking about hope here, you'll have to forgive me if my real world experience has shown me that hope and leaps of faith can be vestigial elements of naivete. While I understood the theme of the episode, it didn't hit the mark. I didn't let the bad scenes get in the way of the message of hope, but the baggage that comes with the last year of my personal life can certainly do the trick. Again, it's awesome if it resonates with you, but I've long passed the point where a generic comment about trust and faith can have the same effect on me. I get my affirmation elsewhere. 

• Brohoof 2