Will Guide

Daring Done  

88 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike

• I think I ate bad dates - Hated it
    • "Sphinx's! Why'd it have to be sphinx's?" - Disliked it
    • I'm still stuck on the Sphinx's riddle - Meh
    • I would name my dog Daring Do! - Liked it
    • A pony who has trust has hope; and a pony who has hope, has everything. - LOVED IT!

Egyptian Ponys and Sphinx Ponys look really awesome! The rest of the Episode was okay. I dont really have much to say, i dont like Daring Do all that much, i dont like Pinkie Pie all that much and i also dont like Rainbow Dash all that much...

• 3 months later...

This episode has one big problem: The two leads are the most annoying of the mane six. Both Pinkie and Rainbow Dash are grating here. Pinkie for her voice and bad jokes. And Rainbow for how selfish she is. She only helps Daring Do because Daring Do retired thus not making books for Rainbow. Her actions don't really come out of wanting to help Daring Do because they're friends and more because she wants Daring Do to write more. This was a problem back in Daring Don't and it's still a problem here. 

The story itself isn't very good either. Rainbow, who is supposedly a super-fan of Daring Do, can't recognize Caballeron even though he doesn't even try to hide his voice. The parallel between the hope in the legend of Somnambula and Pinkie jumping into a vat of acid is really poorly presented. And the ending is rushed. The townspeople completely forgive Daring Do once she runs Caballeron out of town even though they had real reasons for hating Daring Do. Yeah, Daring Do makes up for her actions at the end, but that's after the townspeople celebrate Daring Do, carrying her and throwing her in the air. If there was a conversation about this between Daring Do running Caballeron out of town and the town celebrating Daring Do, maybe this wouldn't have been a problem.

There are a couple things I like, but they're pretty minor. Pinkie gets a few good bits here and there and the legend of Somnambula is decent. Unlike Campfire Tales, there's actually a story surrounding the legend so a simple legend works, compared to when the simple legends had to be the main things supporting the episode. Somnambula's legend isn't exactly great, but it's fine for what it is and it actually has context. But that's about it in terms of positives.

Score: 3/10

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I found Pinkie in this episode to be quite annoying, although not entirely. I would first replace her with Rarity, and have RD be not egocentric about how she went about things. The hooded pony being Caballeron was obvious from the start. Would have been more cool if he had one of his henchmen or 2nd in command in place of him in this episode. Like, they arrested / take down his henchmen only to find that the orchestrator of it all is still out there. Funny how he has the same henchmen. Either they are really loyal, or really stupid. You'd think they would find some other paymaster since Caballeron so far has performed poorly at his intended goals.

The legend of Somnambula was interesting to me. Although the part with the Sphinx sort of struck me. Why didn't they try to overthrow the sphinx, or if more desperately, burn their crops so the Sphinx had nothing more to take? Still a good legend though. It seems that Sphinx are a species on their own here, opening up the door to more possibilities (that the writers missed).

RD and Daring Do talking while RD was being lowered into the acid/slime was quite grating. Your friend is about to be lowered into her death and you aren't rushing down there as soon as you can? I don't get the writers there.

Plus, when Caballeron was found out, why didn't they chase after him and his team? He did commit a crime, did he not? So he should be brought before the law. I found Caballeron to be an interesting character, doing a really dark thing in MLP. He was willingly throwing characters to their deaths without any shred of remorse, I'd say if one thing went wrong he could easily have been a murderer.

I liked this episode, the concepts are there but the writers do a really poor job. 

Edited by Califorum
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Good episode. This is maybe not the best Daring Doo episode, but I enjoyed it.  The character and story of Somnambula  intrigued my interest. Of course this is just her first name introduction before the final of this season.

• 2 years later...

i'm tired to see Rainbow Dash character getting worse each season, because the writers have no ideia how her personality works:dry:

i'm glady at least Applejack is getting back to her season 1-3 character.