Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Global comment settings for blog groups

Dark Qiviut

Under the previous IP.B build, I was able to tinker with the global comments setting for blog sets, including disabling comments for all of my blogs (which I did for one blog set here), approving comments automatically, or manually approving comments. Under the new build, that seems to be missing. If it isn't there anymore, is it possible to re-implement this option?

I think it was removed due to hassle, and hopefully it doesn't get re-added. We don't need to be making miniature echo chambers. (Meaning the original poster will only approve comments that support them)

On 9/4/2017 at 0:27 PM, Libra said:

I think it was removed due to hassle, and hopefully it doesn't get re-added. We don't need to be making miniature echo chambers. (Meaning the original poster will only approve comments that support them)

The lack of hide options in IPB 4 has nothing to do with hassle. It's actually a bigger hassle if the Blog creater cannot curate his own content, which is why every single blog platform offers their content creators a measure of control. Functionally, the idea of being able to hide content as a blogger only creates an echo chamber if he or she never gets to read the comments and that wouldn't be the case here would it? This kinda goes to the heart of the problem. Blog comments should be like a letter to the editor. You are opining on the original content. The only reason to want your comments public is because you desire to be part of the communal conversation with the audience ... or because you wish to have others read and enjoy your own replies. We have something like that on MLPF ... they are called topic threads. If there is no discernable difference between Blogs and Topics ... why even have blogs. 

And FWIW, I ceased my own blog about my relationship with my deceased wife because I didn't have control over comments. I'm in the process of taking it to another platform that offers that sort of control. Has nothing to do with a desire to create an echo chamber, a Blog by it's nature should give the content creators more control, because let's face it ... some of the people who inhabit the internet have the self-control of a five year old. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

The lack of hide options in IPB 4 has nothing to do with hassle. It's actually a bigger hassle if the Blog creater cannot curate his own content, which is why every single blog platform offers their content creators a measure of control. Functionally, the idea of being able to hide content as a blogger only creates an echo chamber if he or she never gets to read the comments and that wouldn't be the case here would it? This kinda goes to the heart of the problem. Blog comments should be like a letter to the editor. You are opining on the original content. The only reason to want your comments public is because you desire to be part of the communal conversation with the audience ... or because you wish to have others read and enjoy your own replies. We have something like that on MLPF ... they are called topic threads. If there is no discernable difference between Blogs and Topics ... why even have blogs. 

And FWIW, I ceased my own blog about my relationship with my deceased wife because I didn't have control over comments. I'm in the process of taking it to another platform that offers that sort of control. Has nothing to do with a desire to create an echo chamber, a Blog by it's nature should give the content creators more control, because let's face it ... some of the people who inhabit the internet have the self-control of a five year old. 

I understand, but I'd rather not have a blogs where comments even remotely crticial of the original post get deleted. We don't need echo chambers.

i can understand "this dude is being a jerk, therefore his commends are gone" however, eventually its gonna turn into"you said someone I don't agree with, comment removed."