Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can a woman and a man stay "just" friends forever?

Ginger Ale

What about siblings that grow up to be good friends? Step-siblings? Other relatives around the same age? Relatives in different age groups? A pair of coworkers around the same age? A pair of coworkers from different age groups? In-laws? Business partners? There are so many different situations and types of relationships people can be in that does not involve romance or sex. 

What really grinds my gears is the perceived notion that men and women are different "species" that live in different "bubbles" and they only interact if they want sex. Sometimes, people have interests that fall outside of what's "acceptable" for their gender. That's why certain people hang out with the opposite gender- they can't always connect with their own kind, and this can happen without them being gay or trans. Sometimes, people hang out with each other for no reason at all other than the fact they're forced to be at the same place every day (school/work). 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I do think it's possible, there is a girl in my school, and I really appreciate being her friend. She actually has a boyfriend, and it doesn't bother me, if I would be romantically attracted to her, it obviously would bother me. 

Anyway, I found a cute video, I think it fits the topic very well:

I think it's possible. Men can be friends with women, and then they go and marry somebody else and they can still remain friends forever. What about gay men, too, and people who just aren't interested in relationships at all? It happens, and it's not impossible. As for myself, I'm aromantic. I don't fall in love, so I'm afraid that all of my male friends are friendzoned for life, but that's OK. They're in steady relationships, so they aren't going to fall in love with me, either.

That's a HARD question. I think it depend, it depend on the mentality of the people involved. Obviously if one of the two people is gay it makes thing more easy ^^ But, I have to say that I've never suceed being friend with a girl for too long, thing always became weird, there is a strange sentimental sensation that start to born in my heart/head and it gets bigger and bigger until it become like a crush.

And I also have to say that I don't know anyone who stayed friend with a girl, or they start dating, or they stopped seeing each other because of the crush effect...

That's pretty sad because in the end, you lose a friend, even if you get a gf or a bf you still lose a friend

7 hours ago, Invincible said:

Maybe some can. But I think that most heterosexuals would eventually develop feelings (requieted or otherwise) for one another.

I can agree that within a platonic opposite sex relationship, a guy may develop a romantic or sexual attraction to the woman. Here's the thing though, that's stuff you can control, or rather you can control how you behave or act.

My advice to those people ...

Friends with a girl that you all of a sudden find yourself attracted to, and are concerned that it may ruin the friendship? Well Mr. Man ... you are in control of the bridge. You can decide not to pursue it. 

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

I can agree that within a platonic opposite sex relationship, a guy may develop a romantic or sexual attraction to the woman. Here's the thing though, that's stuff you can control, or rather you can control how you behave or act.

My advice to those people ...

Friends with a girl that you all of a sudden find yourself attracted to, and are concerned that it may ruin the friendship? Well Mr. Man ... you are in control of the bridge. You can decide not to pursue it. 

I agree, but the problem is that sometimes people are just so afraid or maybe frustrated from the lack of mutual attraction that they can't control the bridge - so they would rather burn it.

I do know guys who would rather choose flight over fight, but who said they have to be guys? I'm sure girls can also find themselves in a similar situation.

A girl I was friends with (more like acquainted with honestly but that's besides the point) once told me she tried to nudge me a few times in the past, and grew frustrated from my lack of response. Admittedly, I was really bad at picking up clues but still..

• 2 years later...

I don't see why not. I mean crushes and stronger feelings can develop over time. But I don't believe it to be that way in every case. I have plenty of male friends and although some have shown signs that they harbour something more, others are literally what you'd expect from a friendship.

• Brohoof 1

I think guys and girls can be just friends, but from my own experience, I feel threatened when ANY friend gets a significant other/new friend due to past experiences. But I kind of love absolutely everyone, not just my girlfriend, to an extreme degree (not romantic or anything, but this kind of "I will do literally anything for you!!" feeling) and want to bring them joy? Anyway, I believe that friendship comes before gender, and you shouldn't immediately see someone of the opposite gender as a romantic opportunity just because you're friends!