Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Weather/Meteorology talk thread

Patty Thundersnow

Summer is almost over... Hopefully. Last year it was still hitting the mid 80s clear into mid November.

Actually, I do have to say the weather has been kind of weird, even during the summer. There were days with highs in the low 70s in August. I mean, there were days warmer than that in January and February. It shouldn't be getting up that high during the winter, but it does. >.<

Ok, living in a Mediterrenean country means you are going to get many weird weather patterns. We are talking about 40°C / 104°F at summer and somewhere around -4°C / 25°F at winter. Right now, it is 24°C / 75°F where I live.

• Brohoof 1

@SpiBaz Sounds like we're going through a similar weather pattern. I'm in north Queensland where it is humid as hell but it still gets a little cold in the winter. My biggest worries weather wise is the floods we get and cyclones. Last year we got both of them at the same time :scots:

• Brohoof 1

About Irma, I have a friend that lives in Puerto Rico, which won't be directly hit, but it will still be close. Even if he makes it through okay, it might be a while before I hear from him again because some parts of Puerto Rico could be without power for several months (though there are also some areas that could get it back in under a week). I hope he'll be alright.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 2

It's been so hazy here in northern Colorado. Bad enough that we got a "blood moon" from all the wildfire smoke in the atmosphere last night, and it looks like tonight will be no different.

Temperatures have started to cool down lately. It's starting to feel a bit more like autumn and I'm so glad about that. :DToday only got to a high temperature of about 72°F/22°C.

Edited by Prospekt
Typo
  • Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Well, me and my family are getting ready to leave Florida because of Hurricane Irma 

We are contemplating the same. I'm waiting to see what the morning tracking shows before we start leaning exodus. 

I'm right by NASA so we just out a bit more on the east. Most models show it west of us so while we may get 80 MPH winds ... that doesn't worry me. Then again, this thing ... I don't trust it. I remember Charlie. The two systems that are going to funnel this storm up look too similar. 

• Brohoof 4

10 hours ago, Jeric said:

We are contemplating the same. I'm waiting to see what the morning tracking shows before we start leaning exodus. 

I'm right by NASA so we just out a bit more on the east. Most models show it west of us so while we may get 80 MPH winds ... that doesn't worry me. Then again, this thing ... I don't trust it. I remember Charlie. The two systems that are going to funnel this storm up look too similar. 

We live not too far south of Jacksonville, but we're still leaving just in case. We got a hotel up in western Georgia and we're gonna stay there for a few days. I would much rather stay because the storm doesn't seem to be hitting where we live directly, but then again power outages are a pain to deal with. Better to be in a place with air conditioning and running water lol

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

11 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

We live not too far south of Jacksonville, but we're still leaving just in case. We got a hotel up in western Georgia and we're gonna stay there for a few days. I would much rather stay because the storm doesn't seem to be hitting where we live directly, but then again power outages are a pain to deal with. Better to be in a place with air conditioning and running water lol

All i've got to say to you both is get as far away from Irma as possible. 

• Brohoof 3

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

16 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Getting out is probably the best course of action. Although it is true it could breeze by and have little effect on you, it is much better to be safe than sorry than to find yourself trapped within something completely unexpected. We had ours come through a week ago... and a bunch of places all around me where completely wiped off the map. So many people really did not expect it to do all that it did, and many of the cities themselves did not start pushing evacuations until it was too late. It is a scary thing to pack up and just leave your home, because you don't know when you will be able to return or what you will come back to.

Either way, just stay safe and know many of us know and understand what is approaching and what you are going through.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Getting out is probably the best course of action. Although it is true it could breeze by and have little effect on you, it is much better to be safe than sorry than to find yourself trapped within something completely unexpected. We had ours come through a week ago... and a bunch of places all around me where completely wiped off the map. So many people really did not expect it to do all that it did, and many of the cities themselves did not start pushing evacuations until it was too late. It is a scary thing to pack up and just leave your home, because you don't know when you will be able to return or what you will come back to.

Either way, just stay safe and know many of us know and understand what is approaching and what you are going through.

Very well said, I don't want to stay here and have something totally unexpected happened. I'm assuming you live in Texas? I would rather have Irma come through Florida than Texas again. Glad to hear you're ok though. But anyway thanks, I'll be leaving Florida this weekend, hopefully I don't return to find our house flattened. At least I'll know me and my family were safe, lives are irreplaceable 

• Brohoof 2

I feel so bad for everyone affected by the hurricane. I donated $15 towards Harvey relief, and might as well donate some if Irma ends up hitting as bad. Best wishes go out to everyone in the path!

Anyways, it was cold for early September here this morning (not like freezing, but kinda cool). The low was 49F, and the high is only 67F. Currently here in Indianapolis, it's 62F. Where's the warm temps? :(

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

You live in Illinois right? 

Born and raised in Central Illinois, but I know what a severe hurricane looks like and Irma is the worst case scenario for south Florida.

4 hours ago, Cloggedone said:

I feel so bad for everyone affected by the hurricane. I donated $15 towards Harvey relief, and might as well donate some if Irma ends up hitting as bad. Best wishes go out to everyone in the path!

Anyways, it was cold for early September here this morning (not like freezing, but kinda cool). The low was 49F, and the high is only 67F. Currently here in Indianapolis, it's 62F. Where's the warm temps? :(

Got mid 60s over here in Macomb, IL today with partly sunny skies.

• Brohoof 1

It's been cooling down the past month. June & July were muggy as hell, which is all sorts of fun when you work next to a giant oven. 

Had to bundle up for my stupidly early ride to work. Actually was shivering by the end of the trip. 

Oh and on the Irma topic, I would advise anypony in south Florida to GTFO before the traffic gets bad. Irma just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Currently the strongest storm ever measured in the Atlantic. And that's saying something when the likes of Wilma, Andrew and Katrina have existed. The Saffir-Simpson scale lists Cat.5 as 157+ MPH. Irma has sustained winds at 185. That's not counting gusts. If there ever was cause for a Category 6, this would be it. Even if it does weaken to Cat.4, that'll still be a very hard hit to take. It'll just be Charlie again, but bigger. 

Latest reports show Irma not making a direct hit on Florida, but just barley. The east coast will still take a hit as the storm moves north. 

Though South Carolina, you may have something to worry about now. 

• Brohoof 1

Born and raised in Central Illinois, but I know what a severe hurricane looks like and Irma is the worst case scenario for south Florida.

@Penguinbrony24

Ah ok I remember you telling me that ^_^

But anywho, other than Irma, the weather here right now in northeastern Florida is pretty nice, hot and humid, with partly cloudy skies. It was raining all morning and early afternoon, now it's a beautiful sunset as I look outside. How's the weather there? 

4 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

@Penguinbrony24

Ah ok I remember you telling me that ^_^

But anywho, other than Irma, the weather here right now in northeastern Florida is pretty nice, hot and humid, with partly cloudy skies. It was raining all morning and early afternoon, now it's a beautiful sunset as I look outside. How's the weather there? 

About as boring as it can be. Sun mixed with cloudcover and a high temp int the mid 60s today.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah pretty much all of my state except for me is on fire 

That's a slight exaggeration but as of yesterday there were 74 wild fires including that large idiotic one in the Gorge that was not so wild but set off by rabid teenagers 

Another brush fire went wild in my county today but it got stomped out quickly 

Drove my car through a carwash cause ash covered it yesterday 

Been keeping up on hurricane updates too; Harvey and Lidia hit, Irma got a start on the islands, and Jose and a 5th Kaittia or something 

Edited by LightningMana
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, LightningMana said:

Yeah pretty much all of my state except for me is on fire 

That's a slight exaggeration but as of yesterday there were 74 wild fires including that large idiotic one in the Gorge that was not so wild but set off by rabid teenagers 

Another brush fire went wild in my county today but it got stomped out quickly 

Drove my car through a carwash cause ash covered it yesterday 

Been keeping up on hurricane updates too; Harvey and Lidia hit, Irma got a start on the islands, and Jose and a 5th Kaittia or something 

This year is the worst wildfire season in the history of the inter-mountain west. The wildfires and the heatwave are begin overshadowed by what Hurricane Harvey did and what the three storms now are doing. And you're right, we've currently got THREE hurricanes going at the same time, first time in 7 years since that happened. They are Irma, Jose, and Katia. Interesting fact is that Katia was the name that replaced Katrina in the hurricane name list after Katrina was retired. In other words, this years hurricane name list is the same one used 12 years ago during the 2005 hurricane season, the most active hurricane season on record (obviously with all the names that had huge impacts retired).

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Penguinbrony24 said:

This year is the worst wildfire season in the history of the inter-mountain west. The wildfires and the heatwave are begin overshadowed by what Hurricane Harvey did and what the three storms now are doing. And you're right, we've currently got THREE hurricanes going at the same time, first time in 7 years since that happened. They are Irma, Jose, and Katia. Interesting fact is that Katia was the name that replaced Katrina in the hurricane name list after Katrina was retired. In other words, this years hurricane name list is the same one used 12 years ago during the 2005 hurricane season, the most active hurricane season on record (obviously with all the names that had huge impacts retired).

It's like one corner of the country is becoming one with the ocean, and the other corner is becoming demolished by fire 

I think Montana has it worst. 

Couple weeks ago a 450-wish acre fire burned in Scatter Creek area slightly north of me, so I drove to it cause I have a family member that lives out that way and posted about a fire at the end of her street on Facebook 

We drove up to where the roads were blocked off saw the nasty smoke then turned around and went to Jack-in-the-Box. 

I was sitting in the car there, turned around and helicopters were flying around the smoke just behind me over the freeway viaduct and I was like "NOOOOOOOPE" had to get out of there 

Gunned it 

On 9/5/2017 at 7:39 PM, Prospekt said:

It's been so hazy here in northern Colorado. Bad enough that we got a "blood moon" from all the wildlife smoke in the atmosphere last night, and it looks like tonight will be no different.

Temperatures have started to cool down lately. It's starting to feel a bit more like autumn and I'm so glad about that. :DToday only got to a high temperature of about 72°F/22°C.

I work all around Boulder County and Monday midday the smoke was so bad I couldn't see the Rockies less than three miles away while on the Foothills Parkway.  I'm enjoying the tend of sub-100°F days but would love for all the smoke to go away.

• Brohoof 1