Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Weather/Meteorology talk thread

Patty Thundersnow

FB_IMG_1504797564299.jpg.7c56d2865bbf3c57fb7117873f1638da.jpg

See the tip of the purple? I'm waving at you from there. As far as leaving, that decision has been made for us. Gas has been in short supply, as in bone dry. A rather unfortunate side effect of more southern counties fleeing north is that they also consume fuel en route. Hotels are booked for a pretty decent radius so that leaves shelters ... but having a pitbull terrier makes that a rather difficult call as even the pet friendly shelters don't like certain breeds. 

So we are likely going to ride it out, unless by some miracle some of the gas trucks going to Broward and Miami-Dade stop here as well. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

FB_IMG_1504797564299.jpg.7c56d2865bbf3c57fb7117873f1638da.jpg

See the tip of the purple? I'm waving at you from there. As far as leaving, that decision has been made for us. Gas has been in short supply, as in bone dry. A rather unfortunate side effect of more southern counties fleeing north is that they also consume fuel en route. Hotels are booked for a pretty decent radius so that leaves shelters ... but having a pitbull terrier makes that a rather difficult call as even the pet friendly shelters don't like certain breeds. 

So we are likely going to ride it out, unless by some miracle some of the gas trucks going to Broward and Miami-Dade stop here as well. 

Oh jeeze that really sucks. I'd just say use what you have left in the tank and gun it as far west as you can. Cause even if you're far enough inland to dodge the storm surge, you'll still be dealing with what amounts to the winds of an EF-4 tornado for hours on end. 

If you really just can't get anywhere, then I'd suggest start boarding up like crazy. Reinforce your roof if you can. Stores are probably cleaned out but make a supply run anyways. And while unlikely, arm yourself. Crime rates sky rocketed in New Orleans post Katrina. Have a means of fending off those pesky looters. 

Sad thing is that this would be a reasonable time to leave. Pre-Katrina, most would be just prepping to leave at this point. I mean it's good that many have heeded the warnings. But it still sucks that even with such advanced warnings, not everyone can get out. 

Best of luck bruh. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, zenith32 said:

I work all around Boulder County and Monday midday the smoke was so bad I couldn't see the Rockies less than three miles away while on the Foothills Parkway.  I'm enjoying the tend of sub-100°F days but would love for all the smoke to go away.

The main reason that the smoke is so thick there is that there is a very strong ridge of high pressure over there. Meanwhile, the eastern portion of the us is seeing cooler than normal weather under a upper level low. The weather is just going crazy right now.

8 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Oh jeeze that really sucks. I'd just say use what you have left in the tank and gun it as far west as you can. Cause even if you're far enough inland to dodge the storm surge, you'll still be dealing with what amounts to the winds of an EF-4 tornado for hours on end. 

If you really just can't get anywhere, then I'd suggest start boarding up like crazy. Reinforce your roof if you can. Stores are probably cleaned out but make a supply run anyways. And while unlikely, arm yourself. Crime rates sky rocketed in New Orleans post Katrina. Have a means of fending off those pesky looters. 

Sad thing is that this would be a reasonable time to leave. Pre-Katrina, most would be just prepping to leave at this point. I mean it's good that many have heeded the warnings. But it still sucks that even with such advanced warnings, not everyone can get out. 

Best of luck bruh. 

The image below is the CURRENT path. it's expected to go straight down the center of Florida now.

Hurrcane Irma_update11pm7th.png

• Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, Penguinbrony24 said:

The main reason that the smoke is so thick there is that there is a very strong ridge of high pressure over there. Meanwhile, the eastern portion of the us is seeing cooler than normal weather under a upper level low. The weather is just going crazy right now.

The image below is the CURRENT path. it's expected to go straight down the center of Florida now.

Well considering how narrow the state itself is, the entire thing would've been engulfed, even if it kept that northern track. 

Still, i'd head further inland if possible. Best deal with it as it looses strength over land, then when it hits the coast full force.  

3 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Well considering how narrow the state itself is, the entire thing would've been engulfed, even if it kept that northern track. 

Still, i'd head further inland if possible. Best deal with it as it looses strength over land, then when it hits the coast full force.  

Update on Irma, as of 2 pm this afternoon. Looking to make landfall around 8 am Sunday.

No gas in my truck to leave. No money. Almost no food. I live in a trailer. And I'm in the smack ass middle of Irma's path...

I guess you could say, Irma's about to rock me............... like a hurricane! B)

No but seriously though, I'm about to shit my pants!

11 hours ago, Penguinbrony24 said:

The path of Hurricane Irma has shifted yet again, now looking to make landfall late on Sunday near the Tampa Bay area. HOWEVER, the entire peninsula of Florida will see adverse weather conditions. 

Yep. The good news in my area is that the winds (not counting gusts) should be capped at 55/60 MpH. The negative is that they revised the rainfall projection up to 8-12 in (with some flood areas possibly getting 20 due to expected overflow from a few surrounding rivers and creeks. 

The bad news is that I know a few people in the Tampa area, and one is a fellow Brony on this forum. 

The bad news now is that the hurricane is basically looking like it'll make landfall in the Tampa-St. Pete area. As of the 8 pm update, Irma's track has shifted westward, and looks like it'll make landfall late Sunday into Monday morning. Luckily, The hurricane is weakening slightly and is a cat 3 currently.

Irma has finally weakened into a Tropical Storm, now dumping lots of rain over portions of the south, along with the tornado threat, along with a HUGE shield of tropical storm force winds. Irma will become a tropical depression late tomorrow, and a remnant low by Wednesday. This means the mid-mississippi River valley will see some rain late Tomorrow into Wednesday. 

• 2 months later...

It's almost winter so that means we're seeing snow in parts of the US. There's currently Blizzard Warnings and Winter Storm Warnings up in the Dakotas and Minnesota.There's also Winter Storm Warnings over in Montana and Wyoming too and Winter Weather Advisories extending from Minnesota over to Idaho.

This is all associated with a cold front that will bring some of the coldest air all season to many areas of the US including where I live in Central Florida where it'll be rainy with a high of only 54°F Friday.

• Brohoof 2

This winter hasn't even begun, and I can already see it's going to be another flop. The local meteorologists are talking up a storm about a big polar cold front next week and how we're going to need five hundred layers on. However, the highs are only going to be knocked down into the upper 40s. And I mean, Wednesday after the front, it's already back up to almost 60.

The standards have really dropped. These cold fronts used to at least knock us down below freezing for a day before they'd really talk big about them.

And, of course, the front is not only warm, but also dry. No chances of winter precipitation at all.

Lame.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Envy said:

This winter hasn't even begun, and I can already see it's going to be another flop. The local meteorologists are talking up a storm about a big polar cold front next week and how we're going to need five hundred layers on. However, the highs are only going to be knocked down into the upper 40s. And I mean, Wednesday after the front, it's already back up to almost 60.

The standards have really dropped. These cold fronts used to at least knock us down below freezing for a day before they'd really talk big about them.

And, of course, the front is not only warm, but also dry. No chances of winter precipitation at all.

Lame.

It's still very early in the season. We'll see some cold down the road, and when we do, it'll be in place for a while. Also, whomever you're watching is doing what meteorology students call "hypetraining". It's more than a week out. It's too soon to tell what will happen.

1 hour ago, heavens-champion said:

There is a scarcity of rain here in Georgia (the state, not the country).

The drought down in Georgia isn't as bad as it could be. I've personally seen worse on the drought monitor.

Current Drought situation for Georgia

5 hours ago, Twisted Cyclone said:

It's almost winter so that means we're seeing snow in parts of the US. There's currently Blizzard Warnings and Winter Storm Warnings up in the Dakotas and Minnesota.There'so Winter Storm Warnings over in Montana and Wyoming too and Winter Weather Advisories extending from Minnesota over to Idaho.

This is all associated with a cold front that will bring some of the coldest air all season to many areas of the US including where I live in Central Florida where it'll be rainy with a high of only 54°F Friday.

Up here in Western Illinois, we could see some thunderstorms tomorrow.Then, the temps are gonna nosedive into the 30s and give us a chance for snow toward the end of the week.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Penguinbrony2409 said:

It's still very early in the season. We'll see some cold down the road, and when we do, it'll be in place for a while. Also, whomever you're watching is doing what meteorology students call "hypetraining". It's more than a week out. It's too soon to tell what will happen.

Locations up further North and Northeast (perhaps even due East) may see cold down the road that stays in place for a while, but that won't be happening where I live. Chilly weather never lasts more than a few days where I live. It shoots straight back up into the 60s and 70s any chance it can get.

It's not more than a week out, by the way. The cold front is supposed to come through either tomorrow or tomorrow night. Every single day we've gotten closer to the cold front, they've raised the projected temperatures up, which is what always happens nowadays.

Everyone always tells me that "it's still very early in the season", but they're yet to ever be right.

• Brohoof 2

On 12/3/2017 at 10:29 PM, Snowflurry said:

The EC will be treated to some very cold weather soon. Which will probably last 2-3 weeks before another ridge builds. 

From the lastest model run of the GFS (global forcasting system, one of the major numerical models), It's looking like this troughing in the east portion of the US is here to stay and will pull down even colder air into the midwest by the tuesday before Christmas. The CFS (climate forecast system) seems to be agreeing with this as well. At any rate, we'll have to see what happens.

• Brohoof 1

Well the weather here is pretty good i guess though its not like i been outside for some days but last time it was snowing not too much but little some good breeze too 

Kinda keeping the thin snow here about 0° here these days I guess 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, New display name said:

Well the weather here is pretty good i guess though its not like i been outside for some days but last time it was snowing not too much but little some good breeze too 

Kinda keeping the thin snow here about 0° here these days I guess 

That's not bad really. seen weather like this quite a bit here.

• Brohoof 1

I just saw that the Corpus Christi on the Southern coast of Texas got 5"-7" of snow. That's a larger storm than we've seen where I live in nearly 7 years! In fact, the largest "storm" we've seen post February 2011 was 2". So that's well over twice as large of a storm as I've seen in years... And that was in Southern Texas. On the coast. I'm not salty or anything.

Snow even went down into Mexico.

Meanwhile, we got pretty chilly up here, but we were dry. It got down to 10F last night. Sadly, that could be the coldest night we see.

• Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, Envy said:

I just saw that the Corpus Christi on the Southern coast of Texas got 5"-7" of snow.

Yeah, it has been a few years since we have seen snow here in any decent amount. But I woke up this morning to find my truck covered pretty heavily and having to do quite a few extra chores just to go to work. It was pretty much done by daylight, which is good, since no one down here knows how to handle it anyway. :dry:

On 12/8/2017 at 7:53 PM, GrimGrimoire said:

Yeah, it has been a few years since we have seen snow here in any decent amount. But I woke up this morning to find my truck covered pretty heavily and having to do quite a few extra chores just to go to work. It was pretty much done by daylight, which is good, since no one down here knows how to handle it anyway. :dry:

Not very common down there.

The EC will enjoy a nice little warm up this week. Not too sure on the details thereafter - but the colder weather will return (tho...it doesn't seem like anything extreme tbh).