Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Weather/Meteorology talk thread

Patty Thundersnow

On 12/17/2017 at 0:01 AM, Snowflurry said:

The EC will enjoy a nice little warm up this week. Not too sure on the details thereafter - but the colder weather will return (tho...it doesn't seem like anything extreme tbh). 

Better for it to get cold now, than it be warm and then have a sudden coldsnap.

They were originally predicting snow on Christmas Eve night, but of course the models flipped those chances into oblivion. Because that's what always happens where I live now. Winter storms never actually hit us anymore, all we can hope for are to be hit by the edges of them so we can get at least a little bit of snow. And this year that seems to not be happening at all.

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, Envy said:

They were originally predicting snow on Christmas Eve night, but of course the models flipped those chances into oblivion. Because that's what always happens where I live now. Winter storms never actually hit us anymore, all we can hope for are to be hit by the edges of them so we can get at least a little bit of snow. And this year that seems to not be happening at all.

Yeah it was supposed to precipitate this weekend and be cold, now it’s only cold :wacko: .

14 hours ago, Envy said:

Models quite often flip flop when it comes to winter weather, and thus that is why it's hard to forecast the path and severity of winter weather. Even now, being 2 days out from Christmas Eve, you can't be for sure that you won't see snow.

14 hours ago, WWolf said:

Yeah it was supposed to precipitate this weekend and be cold, now it’s only cold :wacko: .

again, weather models, espeically american weather models, struggle with forecasting winter weather more than 36 hours out. The forecast could very well change again.

16 hours ago, Cloggedone said:

So we might get snow on Christmas day. Though, it looks like it might be pretty nasty (icy) on Saturday evening:

http://wishtv.com/2015/02/13/indianapolis-weather-forecast/

If that wintry mess does happen, please stay safe out there.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Penguinbrony2409 said:

Models quite often flip flop when it comes to winter weather, and thus that is why it's hard to forecast the path and severity of winter weather. Even now, being 2 days out from Christmas Eve, you can't be for sure that you won't see snow.

again, weather models, especially american weather models, struggle with forecasting winter weather more than 36 hours out. The forecast could very well change again.

That's quite right. They could forecast rain for my location right now on Xmas - then change it to 5-6 inches of snow sometime tonight. 

>P.S. Early call.//

5 hours ago, Snowflurry said:

That's quite right. They could forecast rain for my location right now on Xmas - then change it to 5-6 inches of snow sometime tonight. 

>P.S. Early call.//

It really depends on the path that the storm takes. If it shifts 100 miles north, it means no snow. But if it shifts southward, the snow will do the same.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Penguinbrony2409 said:

I know that quite often they flip flop, but I'm saying it happens every single time now. It used to be that the flip flop would actually land us in the bullseye for snow, but now the winter storms miss us completely, without exception.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Penguinbrony2409 said:

Thanks. In Indianapolis they're supposed to get 1-2 inches, but since I live a little bit north, we may get 3 to 5 inches, so that makes me happy.

12 hours ago, Envy said:

I know that quite often they flip flop, but I'm saying it happens every single time now. It used to be that the flip flop would actually land us in the bullseye for snow, but now the winter storms miss us completely, without exception.

Weather has recurring natures. What's your region? 

11 hours ago, Cloggedone said:

Thanks. In Indianapolis they're supposed to get 1-2 inches, but since I live a little bit north, we may get 3 to 5 inches, so that makes me happy.

That snow will get heavier as the storm moves to the east. Over here in Central Illinois, we're gonna see 1 to 2 inches of snow.

• Brohoof 1

It snowed a little last night. It's refreshing given how we had not seen any wintry precipitation at all. However, at the end of the day, it's just another dusting. It's a whole lot like last year. It's not even going to stay cold today, so it will probably all be melted by afternoon.

9 hours ago, Snowlicious said:

Weather has recurring natures. What's your region? 

South-Central US.

Yes, it's a recurring pattern alright. But it's gradually become like this. Pre winter of 2011 we were still getting winter storms. In the early 2000s and before we were getting yearly storms of 12 inches or so.

Now. we get dustings if we're lucky...

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Envy said:

It snowed a little last night. It's refreshing given how we had not seen any wintry precipitation at all. However, at the end of the day, it's just another dusting. It's a whole lot like last year. It's not even going to stay cold today, so it will probably all be melted by afternoon.

South-Central US.

Yes, it's a recurring pattern alright. But it's gradually become like this. Pre winter of 2011 we were still getting winter storms. In the early 2000s and before we were getting yearly storms of 12 inches or so.

Now. we get dustings if we're lucky...

That could be the effects of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (current phase), climate change, etc. But don't think you can't get a lot of snow tho.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
15 hours ago, Pat Thundersnow said:

I'm assuming that was in the deep south.

It wasn't too far south, but the storm was very massive and hit several southern states from what I've heard.

Edited by EpicEnergy

• 2 years later...