Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E19 - It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

Jeric

What did you think of the episode?  

117 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Ack, no! It's the wrong shampoo again!!!
    • This formula is simply not my style!
    • This formula is meh! I've had better!
    • Mmmm, there is potential here, but I like it!
    • AH! This formula is simply DIVINE Zecora! :D

I honestly wasn't expecting much from this episode, and I kinda had the feeling as the episode progressed. I could definitely feel a STRONG season 1 vibe from this one, and that's not a bad thing, just something I don't normally prefer.

That said this episode REALLY hit it's stride for me when Rarity's friends came to console her, and it really started to click for me at that point. Overall, the episode actually does feel strong overall, even if it's not the most strongest of premises. Plus, it's always good to hear Zecora again. <3

Also, punk Rarity. I wanna see fan arts of this!

• Brohoof 9

Spoiling this image: 

Spoiler

Nq0frxh.jpg

I absolutely adore this look! Rarity, you are truly a genius. I bow to you! <3

• Brohoof 9

This episode pretty much made me like Pinkie even more, I used to give her a lot of crap in the past for being obnoxious but now I think she has gotten better in the last few episodes, she is probably now my second favourite behind Rainbow Dash on my list. :pinkie:

As for the episode, it seems like that they are continuing the trend of focusing on a Remane 5 member along with Starlight and Trixie in that Changeling episode and it looks like it will be Fluttershy's turn next week then.

• Brohoof 2

I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this one, even more so given Haber wrote it. I don't dislike the majority of his work, but I tend to find he doesn't really think out of the box enough and is often content with hitting the beats most eps of the show would. IMO season 6 kind of suffered from him being the story editor because of this.

Here, not only does he pull off some really effective comedy, but there's even a few nice twists in how the story plays out. It starts off simple enough, but about halfway in a few more layers are added to give the story more substance and intrigue, and it really pays off. Punk Rarity is something I legitimately didn't see coming, and it's a very nice surprise. The break must have really helped Haber if this is the level we can expect from him now.

So yeah, pretty great episode.

Edited by Toon4Thought
  • Brohoof 5

Possible Spoiler Alert This was a really predictable episode with a predictable lesson but I still liked it very much. I like that we saw more of Rarity's talents and how she helps other ponies. Her mane was so funny, like when the hair on the pony toys gets ruined. As soon as Zecora brought out the 2 blue bottles I said to myself "Better label those Zecora". I must say the new animation on the Everfree Forest and especially Zecora's house was amazing! I guess the only thing I liked less was the predictability of the lesson but its still a good lesson and one I wish some of my other friends with disabilities would actually take to heart because they don't seem to realize that they are treated "differently" because they ACT different out of fear every time disability comes up just like how Rarity hid in a shroud and ran away out of fear. I know I used to do the same thing as well(I have Cerebral Palsy) So I liked how they showed that it was Rarity's hiding more than her mane disaster causing the ponies reactions. That was clever. However I thought the ponies would recognize Rarity even with the shroud so the fact that they didn't seemed a bit odd. Unless what Ember said about ponies looking the same is more true than I thought. 

• Brohoof 1

A pretty good episode with an excellent message and some really funny scenes and Easter eggs. I loved the message and the callbacks, loved that (most) everyone got some time to shine in this episode.

It loses points for Spike not having a single word to say about Rarity's issue, as that seemed a pretty glaring oversight. I guess a non-speaking cameo is better than nothing, but... grumble. =P

It also loses points for the contrivances needed to make the plot work. I know Zecora set up the premise by stating "mane magic is tricky stuff", but with all the callbacks to S1, it's difficult to take seriously: Unicorn Twilight can grow a mustache on Spike? Trixie was able to redo Rarity's mane even though she's weak with magic? Poison Joke grows Rarity's mane? Not a single pony whom Rarity has been generous to was willing to donate their mane to her for the photoshoot, even with the callback to Steven Magnet?

Lots of possibilities that should have worked. The resolution they went with helped the audience overlook all that, though, since it was such a good message.

In the end I liked this episode, but some missed opportunities there.

EDIT: Also, the Sofa a Quills guy is named Davenport? I didn't know that. Is that new?

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Truffles said:

It also loses points for the contrivances needed to make the plot work. I know Zecora set up the premise by stating "mane magic is tricky stuff", but with all the callbacks to S1, it's difficult to take seriously: Unicorn Twilight can grow a mustache on Spike? Trixie was able to redo Rarity's mane even though she's weak with magic? Poison Joke grows Rarity's mane? Not a single pony whom Rarity has been generous to was willing to donate their mane to her for the photoshoot, even with the callback to Steven Magnet?

1. There's a big difference between growing a temporary mustache and actually regrowing someone's mane. Rarity wanted her mane to quickly return as once was, but they can't do that magically.
  2. Trixie changed Rarity's mane color to a putrid green to make it look ugly.
  3. The poison joke forced Rarity's hair to grow into dreadlocks and flop over her. But considering her terrible hair state, it doesn't mean the poison joke will play the same trick as FS from Filli Vanilli.
  4. In this episode, Rarity actively tries to hide her mane from being exposed and wanted a replacement without anyone finding out.
  • Brohoof 1

52 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Looks like we've approached the last Rarity episode of Season 7. Unless of course, she gets Uncommon Bond (which, I hope not, especially with Applejack, who I think, will get that episode).

Considering one of the themes is legacy (and AJ already told hers), I think it might be another character.

The episode was cute, and was pepper with some nice touches throughout. 

1 hour ago, PathfinderCS said:

That said this episode REALLY hit it's stride for me when Rarity's friends came to console her, and it really started to click for me at that point.

This was easily the episode's strongest element. It was an appropriately low key episode, and actually brushed on some realistic motivations for trying to look one's best to stand out (yes that pun was on purpose and I don't feel one bit bad about it). It sidestepped the magic fix by applying a previously mentioned rule about creating something from nothing (and avoided anything that may seem unapproachable for kids undergoing chemo). 

80's punk rock look is a great look for Rarity. 

Also ... Yay Sugar Belle. :)

28 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Is Starlight replacing Spike? 

He was one of the sets of eyes spying on Rarity and Pinkie. ;)

9 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

The first thing that got me ROFL was Rarity telling off at the Scary Eyes in the woods, and the eyes responding by fleeing!

That was actually chuckle worthy indeed 

• Brohoof 3

Second huge laugh of the day for me is when a mint green stallion screams like a little foal!:lol:

Can I get a loop of that for parodies?

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I liked it! An improvement from last week, though it's moreso than that. A harmless piece of a season with nice character, pacing and resolution. My only gripe is the other reminder how useless and ungrateful the populace is surrounding the Mane Six. Also, I couldn't buy the magic-on-mane calamity nonsense.

As for Rarity's temporary new look, my reaction there was overall "Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!"

It was a fun episode, all things considered.

38 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:
  1. There's a big difference between growing a temporary mustache and actually regrowing someone's mane. Rarity wanted her mane to quickly return as once was, but they can't do that magically.
  2. Trixie changed Rarity's mane color to a putrid green to make it look ugly.
  3. The poison joke forced Rarity's hair to grow into dreadlocks and flop over her. But considering her terrible hair state, it doesn't mean the poison joke will play the same trick as FS from Filli Vanilli.
  4. In this episode, Rarity actively tries to hide her mane from being exposed and wanted a replacement without anyone finding out.

You make some good points there, and some of them even crossed my mind. However:

1. "Boast Busters" never really revealed long the mustaches would last. Spike's lasted long enough for him to go and hang out with Rarity (and learn she hated it. :mustache: ) They may have been temporary, but growing hair for a period of time long enough for the photo shoot seems like it should have been possible. Rarity seemed fine with Rainbow Dash's solution even though it wasn't her original mane. It was only due to it's immobility that it was impractical.

2. True. My point was if someone as weak in magic could affect a mane, it seems like the notion of it being "tricky magic" is contrived. Between the team of current Twilight and Starlight, a solution should have been possible - especially with point 1 being relevant. I guess it could be making a mane hideous is easy and making it beautiful is hard? That doesn't sound satisfying either, however.

3. True. I thought of that as well. I figured it would be worth a shot, though. I suppose if it were brought up, Rarity could have simply nixed the idea due to the inherent risk of it possibly not duplicating the same effect -- even though the episode you referenced (Filli Vanilli) indicates otherwise.

4. True. However some of the ponies still managed to see her. I was expecting one of them to run after her to see what happened and offer their hair as a replacement - essentially paying back her generosity she's displayed to all of them over the years. Even though only a few saw, the town's gossipy nature (as we've seen in the past) would come into play and I would have expected the whole town to know about Rarity's condition in short order. If that were the case, a resolution of many of them donating a bit of their hair (similar to how they came together in "Testing, Testing, 1,2,3") would have been equally as satisfying as the one they went with.

This one contrivance is nowhere near as bad as the numerous contrivances in the last act of last week's episode, so that at least is an improvement. :rarity:

OTOH, this contrivance is what the entire plot hinges on, so it's really noticeable. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Truffles said:

4. True. However some of the ponies still managed to see her. I was expecting one of them to run after her to see what happened and offer their hair as a replacement - essentially paying back her generosity she's displayed to all of them over the years. Even though only a few saw, the town's gossipy nature (as we've seen in the past) would come into play and I would have expected the whole town to know about Rarity's condition in short order. If that were the case, a resolution of many of them donating a bit of their hair (similar to how they came together in "Testing, Testing, 1,2,3") would have been equally as satisfying as the one they went with.

That was what I was initially hoping one of the resolutions would be, particularly due to the Locks of Love charity being a well know thing, and this would have served both the story they told and added a deeper message for others. I can't help shaking the fact that this is a missed opportunity. Of course, take that with a grain of salt because I am biased AF since I did my medical shadowing at a children's hospital, so I've seen the effects of leukemia first hand. 

That said, I have to understand that I should judge the episode based on what it was and not what it could be. Haber knows how to do a fairly decent Rarity episode, and he did that here so I can't complain. 

• Brohoof 1

Great Rarity episode, I've always been a bigger fan of the ones that try to give everyone else in the cast a minor role. And I loved Pinkie Pie wanting to hear a story about a pony becoming one big curl. I think she'd love Uzumaki. :)