Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are bronies despised on?

AlienCrafter

Why do people look down on us, are we weird, are we wrong, do people think were the problem in today's society? I'm here asking a question, and I demand answers!!! Post why people hate bronies, your own stories of how you came to be, what were your obstacles, your motivations, did this show( or Forum) help you get through some rough times?, is life hard, should I come out or not, should i keep my brony life on the down low or put it out there and risk being bullied? Tell me your thoughts, I want to hear YOUR  stories, not a friend, not a relative, YOURS, and yours alone.

I'm new to the borny scene, and so far I haven't had any real trouble. People have raised their eyebrow at me, but nothing really bad so far. I even keep a Funco DJ-Pon-3 at my desk at work.

I don't think people really hate bronies - I just think they make fun of them and give them a hard time because...why not? Easy targets. Every fandom gets jived man. It's the name of the game.

People make fun of me because I'm an engineer! What does that have to do with anything? Because, well, they are not engineers, so because they're different, I get jived.

Don't take it personally. Be proud of what you like, what you are, and if people freak out over something as innocent, and harmless, as MLP then they have a HUGE personal problem. HUUUGE.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Mirage77 said:

I'm new to the borny scene, and so far I haven't had any real trouble. People have raised their eyebrow at me, but nothing really bad so far. I even keep a Funco DJ-Pon-3 at my desk at work.

I don't think people really hate bronies - I just think they make fun of them and give them a hard time because...why not? Easy targets. Every fandom gets jived man. It's the name of the game.

People make fun of me because I'm an engineer! What does that have to do with anything? Because, well, they are not engineers, so because they're different, I get jived.

Don't take it personally. Be proud of what you like, what you are, and if people freak out over something as innocent, and harmless, as MLP then they have a HUGE personal problem. HUUUGE.

I know, im a brony who hasn't told anyone yet, ANYONE, and i was wondering if anyone else had really hard times with this kind of stuff you know.

Well, I don't really go around and tell everyone 'hey, I'm a brony' like I'm gay or something and feel the need everyone needs to know about it. I don't go around saying things like 'hey man, I'm a TRANCE music fan bruh'.

I don't hide what I watch, like in conversations, I don't hide my merch, I just go about my life. Sometimes people hear my music and are like 'OMG...wtf is that shit?' And I'm like 'it's the best music in the world right now, where have you been?'.

It seems to me you're a bit ashamed of it. Is someone, or some people in your life like super masculine or something? Do you feel you have to justify yourself to them all the time and meet their approval?

Just now, Mirage77 said:

Well, I don't really go around and tell everyone 'hey, I'm a brony' like I'm gay or something and feel the need everyone needs to know about it. I don't go around saying things like 'hey man, I'm a TRANCE music fan bruh'.

I don't hide what I watch, like in conversations, I don't hide my merch, I just go about my life. Sometimes people hear my music and are like 'OMG...wtf is that shit?' And I'm like 'it's the best music in the world right now, where have you been?'.

It seems to me you're a bit ashamed of it. Is someone, or some people in your life like super masculine or something? Do you feel you have to justify yoursefl to them all time and meet their approval?

That was so accurate I caught feels, yeah I'm a bit worried I won't be accepted as a Brony in my school, and I'm worried that all be bullied because of it, it's happened to many kids in my school. so yeah, just a bit you know, cautious and wondering what could really happen, and if it will negatively affect me long term.

Ah well, a social environment like a school is prime conformity conditioning. All this garbage about 'accepting people for their differences' and 'diversity' and 'no bullying' is completely pointless in a school environment. It goes against our basic survival instinct - you do not trust people that are not like you (especially not in your tribe). So unfortunately, a building full of socially inexperienced and immature kids is no where you want to introduce your rather 'unpopular' appreciations. If you 'open up' about what you like, like MLP, and you're not prepared to be cool about it when you have to face negativity or even bullying, then you better just go to school to learn and don't talk about stuff that they might not accept (because you know what they will and will not accept...interesting huh?).

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Mirage77 said:

Ah well, a social environment like a school is prime conformity conditioning. All this garbage about 'accepting people for their differences' and 'diversity' and 'no bullying' is completely pointless in a school environment. It goes against our basic survival instinct - you do not trust people that are not like you (especially not in your tribe). So unfortunately, a building full of socially inexperienced and immature kids is no where you want to introduce your rather 'unpopular' appreciations. If you 'open up' about what you like, like MLP, and you're not prepared to be cool about it when you have to face negativity or even bullying, then you better just go to school to learn and don't talk about stuff that they might not accept (because you know what they will and will not accept...interesting huh?).

Quite interesting... Thanks for giving me this insight, i wanted to know what may ( or may not happen) if I were to expose myself, I'll just stick to reciting My little pony references that most people won't get and I will silently laugh as they wonder and wonder what I said and what I mean when I was a Daring, do sorta person.( get it?)

Of course I get it. And you know what else?

I really wish I didn't waste so much time and energy trying to be like other people for acceptance when growing up. I think, perhaps, it would have been a little harder, but, I would have been happier if I did what I really wanted to do, and experienced what I really liked, and talked to the girls I really wanted to know.

You will regret conformity - you will not regret being yourself - no matter how bad the 'disapproval' might be. However, it takes a strong person to be their self in a conformist culture.

Ask yourself this - think of the weirdest kid in your school. Someone you just don't like.

You really don't give a crap about what he/she does, do you? Well, people feel the same way about you. They don't care what you like. All the negativity and bullying is all show, its all about them more than you. Yeah it's really hard to deal with, but deal with you must to be a better you.

Think about it.

For ending sentences with prepositions.

Real Answer: Either for pushing ponies into everything, or because it's just odd. It's a kid's show, and some people don't understand adults who watch cartoons, let alone feminine ones. 

• Brohoof 2

People "despise" the brony community first of all in irony... i know this from my time with MLP and its community, others do so because they see fans as an easy target, and trolls have a day night fixture to hide their true love for the show... people from some other fandoms dont like it because of the linked misconceptions that arent always there however people in those same fandoms like it as well... I love the brony fandom, and I always will, I messed up everything socially, and it put me in a rough spot, bronies some times can be real stubborn and this has turned other fans potential newer fans away... people dont always need to pick apart peoples opinions or preference rather do it because some of them people feel like they winning something by making others feel dumber. I think there is a lot that is empowering about it, but trust and acceptence, and then people being forthcoming needs to be consistent, and not just something we tell ourselves, to facade some type of emotional superiority. or something

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

Either for pushing ponies into everything, or because it's just odd. It's a kid's show, and some people don't understand adults who watch cartoons, let alone feminine ones. 

The latter explanation is what I think is the main reason. There has been a stigma against teens and adults watching cartoons for a long time. I think it has actually started to disappear a little, but there are still some people that think cartoons (at least those not explicitly aimed at adults) are only for kids. And yes, gender roles play a part as well when it comes to MLP specifically. Unfortunately there are many people who have a stereotypical view of what men and women (or boys and girls) should be and think everyone should fit these specific characteristics. Many people especially have a problem with boys and men enjoying feminine things (though the opposite is also frowned upon by some). I guess this is emphasized by the fact that MLP has traditionally been seen as something for girls, which has also been reflected in the toy commercials. Based on the anti-brony comments on FIM I've seen, most people bashing it don't even appear to have watched a single episode. A lot of them seem to think it's all about ponies having tea parties and giggling, which is clearly not the case to anyone that has seen even one episode.

I've always felt "pushing ponies into everything", one of the main complaints about bronies, is just an excuse. A lot of people seem to have a problem with ponification, but I've seen the same thing done with many other cartoons (characters dressed as those from other series or crossovers). I guess the main difference is that as bronies are a fairly large fandom, there is bound to be more of such art than of many other shows. I don't understand why people can't just ignore the art they don't like. As for posting ponies in unrelated discussions, which many people claim a lot of bronies do, I think it's exaggerated. Maybe it depends on the forum, but I haven't seen more than one or two MLP-related posts a year on any boards I frequent (obviously excluding MLP Forums ;)). What I've seen much more often is anti-bronies derailing a discussion after seeing someone with a pony avatar.

I understand some of the more extreme bronies can be annoying to non-bronies, or even other MLP fans, but the haters are much more annoying. I'm not saying this just because I'm a fan, but because it's the same  with things other than MLP. I remember a few years ago when you couldn't watch a music video on YouTube without seeing an irrelevant comment about Justin Bieber. And these annoying, repetitive comments were not from his fans but the haters. There are more examples that I can't think of, but I don't know a single fanbase that's more annoying than the haters of said show/person/whatever. Obsessive hate doesn't even make sense to me, a TV show should be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things to everyone but the fans. Oh well, I guess those people are quite young and bored so I guess that's their way of having fun... :icwudt:

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 4

3 minutes ago, Aquaflame said:

People "despise" the brony community first of all in irony... i know this from my time with MLP and its community, others do so because they see fans as an easy target, and trolls have a day night fixture to hide their true love for the show... people from some other fandoms dont like it because of the linked misconceptions that arent always there however people in those same fandoms like it as well... I love the brony fandom, and I always will, I messed up everything socially, and it put me in a rough spot, bronies some times can be real stubborn and this has turned other fans potential newer fans away... people dont always need to pick apart peoples opinions or preference rather do it because some of them people feel like they winning something by making others feel dumber. I think there is a lot that is empowering about it, but trust and acceptence, and then people being forthcoming needs to be consistent, and not just something we tell ourselves, to facade some type of emotional superiority. or something

I think I get you here. And I agree that the 'brony' community is still very much a community like any other - there is a pecking order, there is a conformity standard and many bronies are NOT concerned about making others feel welcome.

I think many bronies actually struggle with the fact that the fandom is NOT as open and friendly as they'd expect. In that sense, the ideals and lessons of FiM seem to go completely unheeded. But remember - you need to heed the lessons as well, and you should be going out and actively engaging other bronies and making friends. Myself included.

Hi, I'm Mirage and I'm a badass. Like me.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Mirage77 said:

I think I get you here. And I agree that the 'brony' community is still very much a community like any other - there is a pecking order, there is a conformity standard and many bronies are NOT concerned about making others feel welcome.

I think many bronies actually struggle with the fact that the fandom is NOT as open and friendly as they'd expect. In that sense, the ideals and lessons of FiM seem to go completely unheeded. But remember - you need to heed the lessons as well, and you should be going out and actively engaging other bronies and making friends. Myself included.

Hi, I'm Mirage and I'm a badass. Like me.

Sometimes it does go back to some of the lessons in repetition we know so well, and to understand a problem without ever having a conversation face to face to the individual about it, means you are bound to never truly understand it... people get uncomfortable when you treat them like an experiment or hostile creature of a sorts... at times I know I have chased the wrong things, and took different interests, or investments to far, when really you have to remember what brought you where you at to begin with, the show, and there is people that feel the same way, people think, (and this is from a TOLD experience) that I give off a stand offish impression, like I am trying to keep others away, and it literally couldnt be further from the truth, sometimes people just dont understand the mannerisms, or behavoir, or psycholgoical complications someone is going through, so writing them as a bad guy is easier to them, than allowing them to hone all the positive aspects of their character, especially in an atmosphere that makes them the most comfortable, why want anyone to feel more uncomfortable, it reminds me though like, difference in some bronies, its like, some bronies use the fandom to be dazzlings, others to be rainbooms, be a rainboom lol.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Tacodidra said:

The latter explanation is what I think is the main reason. There has been a stigma against teens and adults watching cartoons for a long time. I think it has actually started to disappear a little, but there are still some people that think cartoons (at least those not explicitly aimed at adults) are only for kids. And yes, gender roles play a part as well when it comes to MLP specifically. Unfortunately there are many people who have a stereotypical view of what men and women (or boys and girls) should be and think everyone should fit these specific characteristics. Many people especially have a problem with boys and men enjoying feminine things (though the opposite is also frowned upon by some). I guess this is emphasized by the fact that MLP has traditionally been seen as something for girls, which has also been reflected in the toy commercials. Based on the anti-brony comments on FIM I've seen, most people bashing it don't even appear to have watched a single episode. A lot of them seem to think it's all about ponies having tea parties and giggling, which is clearly not the case to anyone that has seen even one episode.

I've always felt "pushing ponies into everything", one of the main complaints about bronies, is just an excuse. A lot of people seem to have a problem with ponification, but I've seen the same thing done with many other cartoons (characters dressed as those from other series or crossovers). I guess the main difference is that as bronies are a fairly large fandom, there is bound to be more of such art than of many other shows. I don't understand why people can't just ignore the art they don't like. As for posting ponies in unrelated discussions, which many people claim a lot of bronies do, I think it's exaggerated. Maybe it depends on the forum, but I haven't seen more than one or two MLP-related posts a year on any boards I frequent (obviously excluding MLP Forums ;)). What I've seen much more often is anti-bronies derailing a discussion after seeing someone with a pony avatar.

I understand some of the more extreme bronies can be annoying to non-bronies, or even other MLP fans, but the haters are much more annoying. I'm not saying this just because I'm a fan, but because it's the same  with things other than MLP. I remember a few years ago when you couldn't watch a music video on YouTube without seeing an irrelevant comment about Justin Bieber. And these annoying, repetitive comments were not from his fans but the haters. There are more examples that I can't think of, but I don't know a single fanbase that's more annoying than the haters of said show/person/whatever. Obsessive hate doesn't even make sense to me, a TV show should be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things to everyone but the fans. Oh well, I guess those people are quite young and bored so I guess that's their way of having fun... :icwudt:

This is a good examination - and I do appreciate it (as I'm sure the OP does as well).

But with all due respect, the sociological part doesn't mean much when you go about you life, and you have to decide what you're going to be. I believe we have to work on ourselves - that is, we have to be comfortable in our own skin. We have to be strong, resilient, and lovable. And what I mean by lovable I mean a whole person who is conscientious, aware, active, creative, hard working and totally and completely serene. If that were the case, the sociology, as relevant as it is, will just not be so important any more. That is why I tried to make the OP's concern more direct with his own subjectivity. I just don't think that the macro understanding can effectively change the micro-perception...

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Mirage77 said:

This is a good examination - and I do appreciate it (as I'm sure the OP does as well).

But with all due respect, the sociological part doesn't mean much when you go about you life, and you have to decide what you're going to be. I believe we have to work on ourselves - that is, we have to be comfortable in our own skin. We have to be strong, resilient, and lovable. And what I mean by lovable I mean a whole person who is conscientious, aware, active, creative, hard working and totally and completely serene. If that were the case, the sociology, as relevant as it is, will just not be so important any more. That is why I tried to make the OP's concern more direct with his own subjectivity. I just don't think that the macro understanding can effectively change the micro-perception...

That's true. But regarding the subjectivity, it's quite difficult to put oneself in someone else's place without knowing all the specifics.

Will being an open brony cause bullying? That's hard to say. I guess if one is already being bullied, it could be used by the bullies as another excuse for the bullying. How bad this is depends on the individual. If it's one of multiple "reasons" for the bullying, they could easily find another reason if they didn't know about it. I know it, as I was bullied quite a lot as a child, and my bullies would even make up stories to annoy me if they couldn't think of anything else. But the same problem also exists in other cases. Depending on how others view bronies, even a popular kid could risk their reputation by coming out. In the end, I guess the only way to make the decision is to determine whether the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, or vice versa: for example, possibly meeting another brony versus being bullied. Family should be accepting of it, though that depends on what they're like. I'm an adult, so it's slightly different for me, but mine didn't care at all, they're likely just happy I've found something I can enjoy.

One thing that could possibly affect the others' views to at least some extent is how you come out as a brony. It's probably best not to blurt it out at a completely random time, but bringing it up when a related topic is being discussed might not be received that badly. Maybe telling a trusted friend about it at first would be a good choice before telling everyone. But in the end, the decision can't be made by anyone else.

• Brohoof 2

I think the primary reason is misinterpretation. Jimbo (I don't know his full name) said that mlp primarily targeted for young female audiences.

Having a target audience is find and dandy, but a lot of people misinterpret it as ONLY being for said target audience. In fact, in 2011 before I got involved, the idea of an old man watching a show that was (and still isx according to Jim) targeted for younger audiences would raise a few questions.

@AlienCrafter

As this topic pertains to the fan base it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner. Please keep in mind that Feedback is for site-related questions.

Thank you. :)

• Brohoof 2

I think it is because people think it is not manly for us to like colourfull ponies, but I don't know why they would judge them by that. I aklso don't judge them because they are so afraid of what others think of them and that they are stereotypes. :grin:

Wow, thanks for the awesome feedback, sorry if this is in the wrong section, kind of new to the forums, anyway thanks for the amazing feedback sometimes I read it and weep, and well, this is one of those posts, got really deep and I don't regret joining here. And if you got the pun made in this post you get a boop!

On 11 September 2017 at 10:43 AM, AlienCrafter said:

Why do people look down on us, are we weird, are we wrong, do people think were the problem in today's society? I'm here asking a question, and I demand answers!!! Post why people hate bronies, your own stories of how you came to be, what were your obstacles, your motivations, did this show( or Forum) help you get through some rough times?, is life hard, should I come out or not, should i keep my brony life on the down low or put it out there and risk being bullied? Tell me your thoughts, I want to hear YOUR  stories, not a friend, not a relative, YOURS, and yours alone.

Well to be honest my plans for the future will create a new society that will literally be us humans living alone side the ponies plus we can even be our OCs if we want! Anyways everything is in a lot more detail in my theory of equestria plus with my consept for this society I'll get people to click and finally release the true potential of MLP! :)

Actually, at this point in time, I don't see a lot of people going out of their way to hate bronies.  Usually, the hate will be caused by a related stimulus reminding the person of the show, and that person will say one thing against the fandom, then forget about the show.  There is also the case of ironic hate, like when, in one video I recently watched on YouTube, someone was speaking against the show, but most of his speech was based around the fact that a game he downloaded also downloaded a lot of pictures of Rainbow Dash to his computer.

I'm not saying that the hate isn't wrong, I'm just saying that most of the current hate spreads from one-odd comments that rely on cultural norms without trying to stimulate actual discussion and research.

Got any time to read David Harvey's Neoliberalism?  Probably not but I had to read it at least a couple times as I worked towards my BA of Sociology.  Of course, I add some of my personal ideas to the mix when I use it to analyze entertainment preferences as David Harvery's thesis doesn't exactly go into that, but it does establish that in our world we are a slave to the dual forces of the government and the market.

Entertainment has become an increasingly huge entity that also acts as both a socialization device and a marketing tool.  Society uses it, among other things, to indoctrinate its populace into its cult...ure.  Yeah, believe it or not things get pretty Inception, as we often can't distinguish our own ideas from those of the society we live in, which have been planted in our head since birth.  Our culture, along with any other, has what are called norms; unwritten rules that aren't exactly written laws but are still behavioural expectations that we are expected to follow, which is generally enforced by people frowning upon us if we ignore them.

Back to entertainment, things like what our hobbies and interests are, are also among the norms, and it's based largely on ideas regarding who we should be according to our age, gender, etc.  In reality, it's just one more way society keeps our population under control...by ensuring that there is very little variance in individuals.  When we step out of those norms, we are considered "deviant", and people react accordingly, which in this case manifests with people thinking we're "weird".  Pay no heed as they've long since been indoctrinated into our society, as have we, and they are simply acting according to ideals they think are their own...

• Brohoof 1

@AlbaTross The late, great Sir Terry Prachett once made an observation years ago when talking about why any kind of "nerdy" or non-mainstream fandom is mocked & ostracized by the general public:  "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the trekkies the social outcasts?"

The answer, of course, is that being a loud, drunken, obnoxious, violent football hooligan (or any other kind of rabid sports fanatic) is considered "normal" for some odd reason by a majority of society, so a bunch of rowdy soccer fans severely damaging a train car is more or less given a pass, while the peaceful, intelligent but "nerdy" Star Trek fans are (or at least were) mocked relentlessly by the same majority of society....

As for my own take on this issue, I'm going to first have to make a confession here:

*Stands up at the table in the room*
"Hi, my name is Laura"
*Hi, Laura*
"I used to be an Anti-Brony and hater of all things MLP until I finally decided to give the show a fair shake during January of last year (i.e. right about when Netflix finally added Season 5).  A big part of the reason I hated on Bronies, and to a lesser extent MLP itself was because around 2011-2012, it was practically impossible to go anywhere on the web or take part in a discussion in any forum without a horde (or should I say herd) of rabid Bronies invading, spamming pics of ponies everywhere, even when the rest of the forum regulars (and sometimes even the moderators) told them to knock it off, on top of which they'd end up dragging the latest fandom flame-war into forums that weren't even REMOTELY related to My Little Pony:  Not even Civilization Fanatics Center (a forum dedicated to the Civilization series of turn-based strategy games) or Eurobricks (a LEGO fan site) were immune.  I mean do you have ANY idea how annoying it is coming home from your evil, soul-sucking job wanting to chill out on your favorite forums and talk Civ strategies (or post your latest mod, since I was active in the modding community) or check out the latest LEGO creations people posted, only to walk right into a firestorm of people fighting over which pony was the best, spamming up threads with pictures of ponies, or in the case of the LEGO forum, Bronies going at it with the Sacred & Holy Order of LEGO Purists who have declared war on all things Hasbro due to Hasbro having the NERVE to make their own LEGO clone bricks (Kre-O FYI), and they refused to tolerate the existence of anything that mimicked the sacred 2x4 brick of LEGO.  (Ok, so they weren't ACTUALLY called the Sacred & Holy Order of LEGO Purists, but they pretty much acted like a bunch of religious fanatics when it came to clone brand bricks).  Needless to say, when the site staff finally came in with ban-hammers swinging & cleared out the infestation (until the next time someone posted something Pony related), everyone breathed a sigh of relief.  IIRC, it got bad enough that Eurobricks added "My Little Pony" and "Friendship is Magic" to their auto-censor filter and had them changed to something humorously similar just so that none of the forum's threads would turn up in Pony-related Google searches (Note:  This wasn't the only time they had to do something like that; They also had the auto-censor change any instance of the phrase "Angry Birds" to "Grumpy Sparrows" due to massive amounts of Angry Birds-related spam when that game was super popular)."

"As you can see, those kinds of things, my perception of the fandom was skewed towards the negative.  What finally started getting me to come around was meeting some fairly chill Bronies who were cool with me not liking the show & didn't try to force it on me.  Other things that started warming me up to the show was the fact that, during lunch break at work, I'd usually browse TV Tropes rather than talk sports with the other guys in the shop, and it seemed like every single Trope page linked back to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and even just the examples from the show on the individual trope pages got me to thinking, 'Well, now, this show might be reasonably interesting after all'.  What finally tipped the scales and made me decide to start watching the show to see if I liked it was the fact that I finally realized that ALL fandoms have their nut-cases (e.g. the "Sacred & Holy Order of LEGO Purists who even bug most of the other LEGO purists with their over-zealous attitudes towards LEGO-compatible building bricks).  I wish now that I had been willing to look past the more toxic elements in the fandom & given the show a fair shot much sooner, since I'd have probably sought out help that I needed several years ago, instead of just last year...."

So there you have it:  I'm a former hater who hated because I allowed a vocal minority of toxic fans (i.e. the types that "Fame & Misfortune" gave a well-deserved skewering to) to color my perception of the entire fandom, instead of trying to reach out & try to understand why someone would want to watch a show with a bunch of pastel colored girly-looking ponies.  Ever since, I've tried even harder to not let the fandom of a particular book or show color my perception of it, but rather to give it a chance to stand or fall on its own merits...

But yeah, in conclusion, Bronies being extremely far outside what many people consider to be the "normal" audience for a show of this type, coupled with certain elements within the fandom helping reinforce those prejudices (i.e. "All bronies are psychotic man-children") tends to turn some people off.  The thing is, you shouldn't let that affect what you like, or turn you away from something you might like, because what they think doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the long run.

• 4 years later...

I suppose maybe they found it strange that a brand that's supposed to be for little girls has such a large adult male fandom. Of course, those people who despise bronies look at it from an outsider's perspective. I doubt they've even watched an episode.